PDA

View Full Version : Spun a rod bearing

FlatRat
06-02-2003, 08:35 PM
Had a hell of knocking sound after a 7,000 rpm pass.Idled back to the ramp with 65lbs oil press.But I'm thinking it's toast.Will cut open oil filter to check for bearing parts.Kinda of a bummer, just got it runnin' good.What goes up must come down.I guess I'll have to do yard work.

FlatRat
06-03-2003, 07:43 PM
Update,
Not a bearing.Bent the prop shaft and ate the bushings out of the strut and prop support.Made a hell of a racket.Any one have a 1"X 74" shaft?Thought it might have been a rod bearing.Oil pressure was too good so I did some checking.

GofastRacer
06-03-2003, 08:02 PM
What caused the prop shaft to bend??, "prop support", do you mean whip strut??. If you bent the shaft that bad, you better check for dammage to the v-drive, personally I would pop the strut and have it checked also!.. eek!

FlatRat
06-04-2003, 06:22 PM
o.k.,
Here's the deal.Made a couple hot laps and started knockin'.Idled back to the trailer,it had 65lbs oil press.Got it home and thought 65lbs is too good for a spun bearing.I fired it up and sounded great with 75lbs oil press.WTF.Checked prop shaft/v-drive.Prop shaft was bent a little and bushings worn.It still didn't answer the knocking I heard,you know rods make a distinct sound.After some head scatching I removed oil filter.Cut open filter and found alum. particales.The oil looked like metal flake.Boda bing.Please insert coin.I then went for a chopper ride.
[ June 04, 2003, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: FlatRat ]

GofastRacer
06-04-2003, 08:28 PM
Well, guess it's time to look at the motor!. Why is the prop shaft bent??. eek!
BTW, maybe the knocking sound is from a rod(s) hitting something and shaving metal, that's why the oil looks like metal flake. Look for shiny spots on the pan, windage tray, bottom of the cylinder wall(if it's a stroker), something is touching somewhere!.. :confused:
[ June 04, 2003, 09:37 PM: Message edited by: GofastRacer ]

FlatRat
06-05-2003, 02:48 AM
GFR,
Not a stroker,just a .030 454.Prop shaft is about .030 out.I believe it has been like this sinse I bought the boat.

boatguy222
06-05-2003, 03:04 AM
Flatrat,
Sounds like your in need of a short block, I have a 502ci short block w dooley v-drive pan and imco timing cover, it only has break in time on it (maybe 10 hours) and I can deliever it to Banks Lake fathers day. pm me if your interested

livin on the edge
06-07-2003, 07:21 PM
FlatRat:
o.k.,
Here's the deal.Made a couple hot laps and started knockin'.Idled back to the trailer,it had 65lbs oil press.Got it home and thought 65lbs is too good for a spun bearing.I fired it up and sounded great with 75lbs oil press.WTF.Checked prop shaft/v-drive.Prop shaft was bent a little and bushings worn.It still didn't answer the knocking I heard,you know rods make a distinct sound.After some head scatching I removed oil filter.Cut open filter and found alum. particales.The oil looked like metal flake.Boda bing.Please insert coin.I then went for a chopper ride. Be very carefull when cutting open filters and pay atten. to whats comeing off the out side as to the inside such as white paint that looks like alum in oil. I did that same thing than took the motor apart and found a clean pan! Food for thought!!

GofastRacer
06-07-2003, 07:47 PM
Yeah, been down that road before,LOL, that's when I went and got a good filter cutter, the hack saw sucks!... :D

FlatRat
06-07-2003, 07:49 PM
10-4,
It had me all messed up.Thought it was toast.Clean pan,pulled rod and main caps only to it all shiney and new.Kept diggin'.Found broken gear in gear box.Better safe than sorry.This quest for enternal v-drive knowledge sometimes is a mofo.Thanks for all responses.
FlatRat

GofastRacer
06-07-2003, 08:20 PM
FlatRat:
10-4,
It had me all messed up.Thought it was toast.Clean pan,pulled rod and main caps only to it all shiney and new.Kept diggin'.Found broken gear in gear box.Better safe than sorry.This quest for enternal v-drive knowledge sometimes is a mofo.Thanks for all responses.
FlatRat Yep, live and learn, all part of the fun!.. :cool: :D