PDA

View Full Version : knotching stringers to mount seats lower?

wsm9808
07-16-2007, 10:27 PM
I,ve got an Eliminator Daytona 19ft jet project hull that I'm restoring as a lake hot rod.
I dont like the way the seats set so high on top of the full lenght stringers. It doesnt even feel like your in the boat when seated.
I've had 2 other 19ft pickleforks. A Liberator and a Nordic. The Liberator only had stringers in the engine box, and the Nordic someone(factory ?) had cut out a section of the stringers for the front seats and they set right on top of the tunnel humps. I never had any problems with either boat.
A jetboat building company that I called said that the small tunnel boats dont really need a full lenght stringer because the walls of the tunnels give the hull support. Anyone else seen any tunnel boats with the stringers knotched or cut away for seat mounting.
I sure would like to lower those seats, but I dont want to compromise the hull or damage the resale value.

Cs19
07-17-2007, 12:02 AM
Im really against doing that but guys do it all the time. How thick are the stringers, what kind of lay up is the boat?

Wicked Performance Boats
07-17-2007, 06:41 AM
I've seen it done a few times BUT personally I'd never buy a boat that that had been done to it. I believe it hurts the resale. Budlight

DelawareDave
07-17-2007, 08:20 AM
The stringers in mine are 4" tall at the engine bay area, then are cut down to 2" the rest of the way forward. They are approximately 3/4" solid wood.

gunslinger
07-17-2007, 08:33 AM
At the end of the day you are still sitting in the seat. What difference would it make if the seats were deeper in the hull? The seats wont hold you in any more than if they were mounted high. Personally I would rather be thrown clear of that hull rather than through it if an accident were to happen. Just my opinion though.

Wicked Performance Boats
07-17-2007, 10:54 AM
Put an extension on your steering column. It will make you feel safer as it will be higher. Budlight

ck7684
07-17-2007, 11:18 AM
Is there any way to "channel" the seats down over the stringers??

gunslinger
07-17-2007, 12:12 PM
Is there any way to "channel" the seats down over the stringers??
That really would not do you any good. The only additional depth you could gain without cutting the stringers would be to removing padding or going to a fiberglass race bucket that is not as thick as a conventional plywood seat. This would still only net a minimal difference.

Mr. Crusader 83
07-17-2007, 12:33 PM
Is 2in really going to make you feel safer?

mouzer
07-17-2007, 12:39 PM
My nordic pickle fork tunnel has big full stringers notch out for the front seats.

67weimann
07-17-2007, 01:48 PM
I wouldn't do it. As stated before, what is 2" really going to do?
If they're too high, you're too old...:D

wsm9808
07-17-2007, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the replies.
I was actually already leaning towards the idea of the aluminum sandwich like Rio mentioned and only cutting out a portion of the stringer. I will be building new seats for the boat anyway. From the way the seats are built and mounted now I can get 4 1/2" drop with only a 2" cut from the stringer height. I know that does not sound like much of a change, but by sitting on a piece of plywood on top of the stringers it sets me 3 1/2" lower than with the seat and makes a HUGE difference in the comfort and the way the boat "fits".
I was amazed at how awkward and out of place everything feels with the current high seat mounting and how well placed and natural it feels just by lowering the seating position only 3.5".

wsm9808
07-17-2007, 09:37 PM
I guess mine has the taller, thin stringers like some mentioned. Here is a pic.
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q65/scottme/IMAGE054.jpg

79centurion
07-17-2007, 09:55 PM
Mine is the same way. I put some plastic seats in mine to lower where you sit about 3 inches and felt better, but was harder to get in and out of the boat, so I went back to the way it was since I would rather feel a little uncomfortable and easily be thrown out, then a little more comfortable and not be able to get out.

Mike D..
07-17-2007, 10:09 PM
Well I am one of those guys that cut down my stringers, I also used fiber glass buckets with very small seat foam, I am 6ft3 and yes the extra 2 in has helped. I would do it again I have 51/2 tall stringers and 2 in out will not hurt them. the tunnels act as box beams.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/102_2394.JPG

TRG
07-17-2007, 11:35 PM
I concur with mike D
My stringers are 3 1/2" tall and probably would NOT being that they are so short, but anything taller will not hurt, but cutting a radius to the height would also be the smarter way to go, 90 deg. cuts seem to me to be a weak point in most wood designing, (like access cut-outs in a bulkhead), plus it looks way better!
you know!...if it was that big of a deal, you could always screw and laminate blocks on both sides of the cut-out for extra rigidity, i used to have a D'cucci that had the stringers cut-out with the blocks like this! (very light boat though!)

Outlaw
07-18-2007, 11:26 AM
My 21 Daytona is cut down at the back seat all the way to just ahead of the front seats. from factory.
must not be that big of a deal on a lake boat, maybe a little more crucial
on a light layup.

JR131
07-18-2007, 01:14 PM
we ran our blown gas jet with cut down stringers all the way to the dash and never had a problem the boat ran in excess of 147 mph with the same size stringers that you have
have fun
jr

BLOWN JOB
07-18-2007, 02:37 PM
my crusader tunnel are cut no problem yet

502 JET
07-18-2007, 03:11 PM
My 21 Daytona is cut down at the back seat all the way to just ahead of the front seats. from factory.
must not be that big of a deal on a lake boat, maybe a little more crucial
on a light layup.
My 86 Eliminator Scorpion is the same way, not nesscarily cut down but built that way from the factory. My stringers look like they were made from 3/4" plywood.