PDA

View Full Version : transom replacement

slotracer
02-17-2006, 12:23 PM
lets try this over here
i have a boat that needs the wood at the transom replace what all needs to be done to replace it? thanks
pat(slotracer) :idea:

OhOneWS6
02-17-2006, 02:02 PM
I did a search on Google and it turned up several do it yourself options. I need to fix a rotted transom as well.

BrendellaJet
02-17-2006, 02:54 PM
The wood on my transom isnt what I would call rotted, it is quite sound actually, however I would like to replace it so that it looks new and doesn't have any patchwork from the old through transom exhaust... Anyone know how to get it out? The glass on my transom is thick, Id say atleast 3/8 in the places I can measure, do i even need the wood?

77OMEGA
02-17-2006, 03:48 PM
I cut mine out of my 77 omega with a small cut off saw. I cut around the thin fiberglass on the inside of the transom. The wood cam out pretty easy with a chisel. Just be careful not to cut through the outside fiberglass. You will also want to wear some kind of resipirator, goggles, and maybe a painters suit. I got one at Home Depot for $10. Well worth the money. I didn't itch at all when I was done. All the work is from the inside. I haven't replaced it yet. Too many other honey doos!!!!!

slotracer
02-17-2006, 03:48 PM
thanks denniis. i just do it from the inside then. what about the fibreglass of the boat will the wood come off it or i have to scrape it off? thanks
pat(slotracer) :)

mile2885
02-17-2006, 03:55 PM
It's a LOT of work but can be done. I did mine. I had to scrape it out. Turned out nice though. I can see if i can find pictures.