PDA

View Full Version : Mechanics

Cigalert
07-17-2007, 10:48 AM
I took the family truckster aka tow vehicle out this past weekend and it's usually the wife's ride. I noticed the oil was at 10% so I let her know to take it in to get it changed. She just called me and was somewhat upset. She said "Well, they can't do anything for the differential because it's too low".
So, being a natural smart ass I asked "is it too low to the ground?" and she repeated the question to the toolbag working there. I could hear him in the background say "well it should be ok". Wait one second cracker, you just said there's something wrong and now there isn't? What gives I say, what gives?
Then he proceeds to let her know the air filter needed to be replaced. It's an aftermarket air filter I just cleaned 4 months ago. I've only made 2 river trips after cleaning the filter. They usually go a solid 10k before I ever clean them and I've heard to let it go longer. I told her to say "no thanks shitbox" but she left out the key elements.
He says "well the tires need to be rotated". They have 400 fukin miles on them. They're brand fukin new. For the love of fuk why would I want to rotate them?
Why do these cockholes feel the need to fuk with her but they never say chit to me? Every time I go in they always say "Just an oil change...you got it".
Ahhh, I feel better

yopengo
07-17-2007, 10:53 AM
There is only one mechanic I let touch my truck. He is in Mission Viejo. PM me if you want an honest mechanic. Been going to him for fifteen years now.

Racey
07-17-2007, 11:10 AM
I fukkin hate scoundrels that try to take advantage of people, esp women. what a bunch of crap:mad:
Karma's a biatch, this guy will get whats coming to him

NOTALENT
07-17-2007, 11:19 AM
Shadetree mechanic. They can make a whole lot more money off of a woman. If she doesnt know much about cars, you should always take it in....IMO I have alot of shady customers that rip people off....it sucks.

Baja Big Dog
07-17-2007, 11:29 AM
Cig...Where did she take it? I love to go to these asswipes and act dumb (Not relly hard to do!) and fock with them.:D

Mr. Crusader 83
07-17-2007, 11:36 AM
Try Mikes Automotive in Mission Viejo. He is a great guy. Family owned.
949-768-5232

Big Kahunaa
07-17-2007, 11:40 AM
it's funny i'll have my lady drop the car off at the dealer and i'll call they give me a load of sh{t then i'll go down there with my work shirt on (i own a auto shop) and there story changes we have had problems with the tire presure moniters i have scaned with my scaner got a code for no comuication with bus the said the code was no good fu}k them

SHAWNINATOR
07-17-2007, 12:15 PM
Thats why i service my own vehicles

pixilatedpussy
07-17-2007, 01:33 PM
I took the family truckster aka tow vehicle out this past weekend and it's usually the wife's ride. I noticed the oil was at 10% so I let her know to take it in to get it changed. She just called me and was somewhat upset. She said "Well, they can't do anything for the differential because it's too low".
So, being a natural smart ass I asked "is it too low to the ground?" and she repeated the question to the toolbag working there. I could hear him in the background say "well it should be ok". Wait one second cracker, you just said there's something wrong and now there isn't? What gives I say, what gives?
Then he proceeds to let her know the air filter needed to be replaced. It's an aftermarket air filter I just cleaned 4 months ago. I've only made 2 river trips after cleaning the filter. They usually go a solid 10k before I ever clean them and I've heard to let it go longer. I told her to say "no thanks shitbox" but she left out the key elements.
He says "well the tires need to be rotated". They have 400 fukin miles on them. They're brand fukin new. For the love of fuk why would I want to rotate them?
Why do these cockholes feel the need to fuk with her but they never say chit to me? Every time I go in they always say "Just an oil change...you got it".
Ahhh, I feel better
Sorry to hear hun! If you ever need a question answered...you are more than welcome to ask our mechanic. He is very honest & thats why he works for us!;)

RitcheyRch
07-17-2007, 01:40 PM
Can be tough finding a good reliable and HONEST mechanic. Once you find him dont lose track of him.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
07-17-2007, 01:40 PM
I always tell the oil change guy that if there is anything extra, I will be happy to call my husband and he can talk to him. Needless to say, suddenly my air filter is ok and evrything else is good. :rolleyes: :D

ULTRA21XS
07-17-2007, 01:55 PM
They problem is that you let your wife take the truck in...My wife gets the same thing when she takes her car in....Its sad but a lot of Mechanics take advantage of the ladies...So now she takes it in and has then call me....Plus the guy had the know it was a K&N and then tried to sell her a new one....It would be nice if you could list the dealer so no one else will go there and get screwed..

Mattman
07-17-2007, 02:14 PM
Cig -- we need to come up with a plan to go down there and fock with him. Bad enuf he foked with wifey but 8 1/2 months prego wifey...fock him.:devil:

Ziggy
07-17-2007, 02:20 PM
The guy probably never looked at the car but only the last time you were in and made suggestions by mileage....women will listen, men know it all already so very often the advisors will skip it to avoid the confrontation.
I also see the same folks that decline every suggestion make the biggest stink when something goes wrong with the vehicle. As well, manufacturers are much more willing to help the "out of warranty issues" for the customers that have kept up with factory recommended maintenance schedule.
Just another perspective. ;)

dicudmore
07-17-2007, 02:28 PM
The guy probably never looked at the car but only the last time you were in and made suggestions by mileage....women will listen, men know it all already so very often the advisors will skip it to avoid the confrontation.
I also see the same folks that decline every suggestion make the biggest stink when something goes wrong with the vehicle. As well, manufacturers are much more willing to help the "out of warranty issues" for the customers that have kept up with factory recommended maintenance schedule.
Just another perspective. ;)
13 years in the auto service business---Ziggy is absolutely right :D
Plus, just like boats, cars do need more maint than just oil changes.

HALLETT BOY
07-17-2007, 02:42 PM
If people would find one guy they like to deal with and stick with him, that person will be more than happy to take care of you...all to often in this buisness
( auto repair ) the customer is on a never ending quest to find $ 2.00 worth of auto repair for only $ 1.00. people seem not inclined to go to the same place twice these days...kinda sad, I've been around for a while and seen the decline
in the service industry...

dicudmore
07-17-2007, 02:51 PM
If people would find one guy they like to deal with and stick with him, that person will be more than happy to take care of you...all to often in this buisness
( auto repair ) the customer is on a never ending quest to find $ 2.00 worth of auto repair for only $ 1.00. people seem not inclined to go to the same place twice these days...kinda sad, I've been around for a while and seen the decline
in the service industry...
well said :D

Cigalert
07-17-2007, 03:55 PM
It's a 05 Tahoe. She took it to Skippy Lube in Rancho Santa Margarita. Since it only has 30k miles on it and the built in computer has oil changes going on every 7500k or so it's only had 4 changes. When she had a 350Z the same skippy lube wanted to charge her $125 for an oil change saying it required special tools. She called me and I said nay, it was suddenly $55 for synthetic. Weird. I just can't imagine the ammount of females getting raked because they might not have someone to call for verification. They vulchers take full advantage of the weak. Like Dane Cook "there are tiny unicorns taking a shit and poking holes in your air filter" and "we need to remove the roof...it resents the rest of the car".
I agree a oil jockey is nothing more than a walking nutsack with an ASE certificate to push the odometer button and turn the ignition. I apoligize for grouping him into the mechanics abyss of poor customer cervix. Most (not all) mechanics are a whole different ball of wax.
Mattman, we need to pick up The Profit and drop the 2 of them into the box down where they drain the oil. We'll strap burgers and tacos to Mr. Skippy Lube and take bets on how long he last. My money is on the armor laden Profit in less than a Tyson round.
Yopengo, what is the name of that place (shoot me a PM if you don't want or toss it up here...but there are plenty of RSM peeps that could benefit from a good guy)
Pixilated, where is your shop? I've read some things you've said before about a body shop...is that correct?
Ziggy, I agree with your statement, people declining work usually are the bitchers. But in this case I have a 100k warranty on this thing. Any complications with the dif are going to be handled by chevy and not skippy lube. Also, if there are problems with the dif, why didn't he explain that in detail? My regular mechanic who repairs my fleet vehicles suggest repairs everytime I send in a trucks for maint. I always have those repairs performed on the next visit.

Mattman
07-17-2007, 04:10 PM
Yo Pengo sent me the info for a good mechanic. Call me and it's yours.

Ziggy
07-17-2007, 04:13 PM
Lube joints are trained to upsell whatever they can, and I'd believe they will take advantage of some.....the extra few bucks to have it changed by a trusted technician is generally worth it in the long run.

gfinch
07-17-2007, 06:41 PM
Been a professional grease monkey since 1972. What I tell people if they must go to those places is, when they try to up sell tell them....
"I don't have the $$$.

SmokinLowriderSS
07-17-2007, 07:04 PM
Thats why i service my own vehicles
You and I both.:)

duner21
07-17-2007, 07:14 PM
Why not save the hassle and go to the dealer. Better service and they have your records if you ever need them. It might cost a little more but well worth it to me!

Oldsquirt
07-17-2007, 07:17 PM
Why is this thread titled "MECHANICS" when it's clear the vehicle was no where near a mechanic? :idea: Maybe "Skippy Lube" would have been a more appropriate title.......

Daytona100
07-17-2007, 07:21 PM
It,s a simple answer. Every dealership and most independents pay there employees 100% commission. Techs get paid for there labor only and the service writers get a percentage of the labor and parts that they sell. When times get slow everyone in the dealership is struggling for survival. The writers are pressured by the service manager to get there numbers up IE selling unnecessary services. Selling BS services so the writer can get a cash spiff along with the percentage off parts and labor. Now the shit runs downhill now the starving mechanic gets the vehicle and now it,s his turn to try to sell you everything he can possibly can needed or not so he can feed his family. It,s a absolutely crappy system that breeds dishonesty. Right now is a terrible time to be in the auto repair industry. Sure there are some family owned repair shops and others that are decent but dealers are the worst. Just my .02 Mike. My Brother just got ripped by Nissan in Corona same crap sold his wife a bunch of useless services and charged her for stuff that was covered under her warranty. When we called them on it they agreed to refund the money. Still dishonest practices.

mike37
07-17-2007, 08:45 PM
Been a professional grease monkey since 1972. What I tell people if they must go to those places is, when they try to up sell tell them....
"I don't have the $$$.
where do you work

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-17-2007, 08:50 PM
It's a 05 Tahoe. She took it to Skippy Lube in Rancho Santa Margarita. Since it only has 30k miles on it and the built in computer has oil changes going on every 7500k or so it's only had 4 changes. When she had a 350Z the same skippy lube wanted to charge her $125 for an oil change saying it required special tools. She called me and I said nay, it was suddenly $55 for synthetic. Weird. I just can't imagine the ammount of females getting raked because they might not have someone to call for verification. They vulchers take full advantage of the weak. Like Dane Cook "there are tiny unicorns taking a shit and poking holes in your air filter" and "we need to remove the roof...it resents the rest of the car".
I agree a oil jockey is nothing more than a walking nutsack with an ASE certificate to push the odometer button and turn the ignition. I apoligize for grouping him into the mechanics abyss of poor customer cervix. Most (not all) mechanics are a whole different ball of wax.
Mattman, we need to pick up The Profit and drop the 2 of them into the box down where they drain the oil. We'll strap burgers and tacos to Mr. Skippy Lube and take bets on how long he last. My money is on the armor laden Profit in less than a Tyson round.
Yopengo, what is the name of that place (shoot me a PM if you don't want or toss it up here...but there are plenty of RSM peeps that could benefit from a good guy)
Pixilated, where is your shop? I've read some things you've said before about a body shop...is that correct?
Ziggy, I agree with your statement, people declining work usually are the bitchers. But in this case I have a 100k warranty on this thing. Any complications with the dif are going to be handled by chevy and not skippy lube. Also, if there are problems with the dif, why didn't he explain that in detail? My regular mechanic who repairs my fleet vehicles suggest repairs everytime I send in a trucks for maint. I always have those repairs performed on the next visit.
call a news crew about it and they will get them on camara. They were suppose to be cracking down on them being rip offs.. :)

Invisible Sun
07-18-2007, 06:14 AM
It,s a simple answer. Every dealership and most independents pay there employees 100% commission. Techs get paid for there labor only and the service writers get a percentage of the labor and parts that they sell. When times get slow everyone in the dealership is struggling for survival. The writers are pressured by the service manager to get there numbers up IE selling unnecessary services. Selling BS services so the writer can get a cash spiff along with the percentage off parts and labor. Now the shit runs downhill now the starving mechanic gets the vehicle and now it,s his turn to try to sell you everything he can possibly can needed or not so he can feed his family. It,s a absolutely crappy system that breeds dishonesty. Right now is a terrible time to be in the auto repair industry. Sure there are some family owned repair shops and others that are decent but dealers are the worst. Just my .02 Mike. My Brother just got ripped by Nissan in Corona same crap sold his wife a bunch of useless services and charged her for stuff that was covered under her warranty. When we called them on it they agreed to refund the money. Still dishonest practices.
Right on the money! No throw in Bullsh*t CSI bonuses and spineless Service managers and you have the whole picture. Hopefully I'm out of it for good!
S

Rexone
07-18-2007, 01:45 PM
If you like the EZlube, Jiffy lube type rackets watch these reports. It's been aired on TV a couple times here in LA area. Something like 7 out of 12 Ezlube stores ripped people off according to the reports (not just tried to upsell but charged for shit not done after upselling).
I would never let one of these type places touch my worse shitbox of a car.
http://www.knbc.com/investigations/13523631/detail.html

Tom Brown
07-18-2007, 02:02 PM
....manufacturers are much more willing to help the "out of warranty issues" for the customers that have kept up with factory recommended maintenance schedule.
I have a ton of respect for you Zig and hessitate to pose an opposing point of view but from what I've seen, you could suck a dealer's cock every day and the second the warranty is done, you're thrown out like a rotting banana peel.
I've never dealt with a BMW dealer. Things are probably far more civil in at that level of the market, particularly your dealership (and formerly owned dealership), but at the dealerships around here, it's tough to get them to fix broken shit on a brand new vehicle in the first place, never mind doing anything just outside the warranty period.
I'm also aware that there are legions of customers who never want to pay for anything... ever. A buddy hit a serious pot-hole and did some suspension damage, as well as crease up his fender pretty good. He thought it should be warranty and was furious when he had to pay to have it repaired. What a loser. lol!
It's dog-eat-dog, baby. Unless you know the mechanic really well and trust them, you need to have your guard up.
God bless honest mechanics. :cool:

Jbb
07-18-2007, 02:05 PM
I could suck a dealer's cock every day
:jawdrop:
Wrong forum .....fag....

Tom Brown
07-18-2007, 02:09 PM
Why must you torment me so?

Jbb
07-18-2007, 02:11 PM
Why must you torment me so?
Smokes....come on ...lets go....

C-2
07-18-2007, 02:14 PM
:jawdrop:
Wrong forum .....fag....
You're relentless.
At the expense of Brown (sorry), that was fawkin funny. Tears in the eyes funny. Thanks for making my day.:D
You guys crack me up.

Tom Brown
07-18-2007, 02:15 PM
lol :D

Havasu Carrera
07-18-2007, 02:18 PM
There is only one mechanic I let touch my truck. He is in Mission Viejo. PM me if you want an honest mechanic. Been going to him for fifteen years now.
Is the guys name Tony?:)

Jbb
07-18-2007, 04:53 PM
You're relentless.
At the expense of Brown (sorry), that was fawkin funny. Tears in the eyes funny. Thanks for making my day.:D
You guys crack me up.
:p

Ziggy
07-18-2007, 05:11 PM
Not exactly fair to dump ALL dealers into this catagory but there are many that may well be that way. No denying that fact. Also, more and more dealers are faced with increased operating expense due to many factors, from both State agencies and manufacturers themselves.....thusly the bottom line is affected. Independants are generally not affected in the same manner but also do not have the same equipment that dealers are required to have to properly service your vehicles.
To further bolster this rationale, the number of dealerships that are being owned by large public companies, which often pay a large premium to buy dealerships are having to show a profitable bottom line to the shareholders. What then happens is knowledgable employees(aka expensive) are canned and cheaper replacements are put in place.....(you're probably following me by now)....and trained to sell, sell, sell....:idea: :idea: :idea: By no means do I mean that the upper management intends to defraud the customer, but its easily interpretted by the employee to sell anything they can.

Ziggy
07-18-2007, 05:18 PM
I have a ton of respect for you Zig and hessitate to pose an opposing point of view but from what I've seen, you could suck a dealer's cock every day and the second the warranty is done, you're thrown out like a rotting banana peel.
I've never dealt with a BMW dealer. Things are probably far more civil in at that level of the market, particularly your dealership (and formerly owned dealership), but at the dealerships around here, it's tough to get them to fix broken shit on a brand new vehicle in the first place, never mind doing anything just outside the warranty period.
I'm also aware that there are legions of customers who never want to pay for anything... ever. A buddy hit a serious pot-hole and did some suspension damage, as well as crease up his fender pretty good. He thought it should be warranty and was furious when he had to pay to have it repaired. What a loser. lol!
It's dog-eat-dog, baby. Unless you know the mechanic really well and trust them, you need to have your guard up.
I'd probably say you are correct in saying $10-25k vehicle owners are treated slightly different than the $40k and up owners.
Blue Collar vs White Collar expectations are different as well......fair? probably not but that's how society has segragated itself....

3 daytona`s
07-18-2007, 06:11 PM
Cig...Where did she take it? I love to go to these asswipes and act dumb (Not relly hard to do!) and fock with them.:D
LOL

coolchange
07-18-2007, 07:09 PM
My daughter is always calling me when she needs a repair bill analyzed. they really mess with young women. Last one was 1500 dollars. She called me and we droppd it to 780 by the time we whittled the EXTRAS away. On the other hand I love doing hi end stuff. Guy drops his car the other day and says its makin a rattling noise. Drop the pan and call him and say the motors junk. Shouldn't run more than $60,000 to rebuild, he just says "call me when its done".:D

Invisible Sun
07-18-2007, 11:00 PM
I've never dealt with a BMW dealer. Things are probably far more civil in at that level of the market.....
I've been in a BMW dealer and seen the service department convene every morning, an hour before opening every day. The focus was to sell everything they could. If the car was new...sell them a CD changer or bluetooth. Not saying that the customer didn't need this, but if they wanted it they would have requested it. As a tech, if the writer didn't sell it, I was supposed to catch it and put it on my list for up-sell. They have an average repair order average that they have to keep. It doesn't matter if it is a Saturn or a Porsche. I've seen both ends of the spectrum and it's all the same.
I'm also aware that there are legions of customers who never want to pay for anything... ever. A buddy hit a serious pot-hole and did some suspension damage, as well as crease up his fender pretty good. He thought it should be warranty and was furious when he had to pay to have it repaired. What a loser. lol!....
And these are the idiots that can cause a good writer to loose his/her job with one bad survey! I can't tell you how many times that my wife has come home telling this same story. These surveys are rigged. They ask you questions and try to get you to respond in a negative way so they don't have to pay their employees their rightfully earned CSI bonuses. Then they threaten to fire you for having a negative survey. Go figure!
Sorry, rant over...just a little passionate about this messed up auto biz!

Kachina26
07-19-2007, 12:45 AM
Not the dealer I worked at. We gave away so much crap, I couldn't even begin to tell you. People that bought their shit elsewhere and never serviced it anywhere were treated like kings years out of warranty and tens of thousands of miles out. Very tough for an honest mechanic to make a living when you give everything away and do only what is needed, as needed services are diminishing. I refused to upsell BS services (my dealer didn't push 'em so life was easy). I'm so glad that I'm out of the business. I miss doing my own tire balancing though. Now I've got to find someone I trust for some things. That's gonna be hard, because I'm so anal retentive.