View Full Version : Building a River Crusier

63stevens
03-05-2003, 12:05 PM
I would really like to build a 21-22' river crusier. If I had the money I would just go buy one but I don't, so I was thinking about buying A jet day crusier and converting it to a V-Drive. When looking for the right hull to convert what should I look for. I understand that full length stringers will be necessary but if a good deal comes along and the hull doesn't have them how much trouble would it be to install them?
Any and all ideas will be helpful

superdave013
03-05-2003, 12:23 PM
63stevens:
I would really like to build a 21-22' river crusier. If I had the money I would just go buy one but I don't, so I was thinking about buying A jet day crusier and converting it to a V-Drive. When looking for the right hull to convert what should I look for. I understand that full length stringers will be necessary but if a good deal comes along and the hull doesn't have them how much trouble would it be to install them?
Any and all ideas will be helpful River Dave is doing just that. He's starting out with a 20' Spectra. Was a jet but still had 4 full lenght stringers.

Thunderbutt
03-05-2003, 01:00 PM
63stevens:
Any and all ideas will be helpful If you'er looking for a Spectra jet to convert go to spectras.com, theres a couple of them for sale

78DiMarco
03-05-2003, 01:22 PM
Check with BradP, he may still have a 21ft Sleekscraft hull for sale that was already converted with the v-drive installed. Just add the motor/trans and go.
[ March 05, 2003, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: 78DiMarco ]

boatguy222
03-05-2003, 02:22 PM
If you find a boat, I have ALOT of parts from a 20 Schiada, c-500 fresh, 11 1/2x14 3blade steel prop, alot of underwater gear, cav plates,etc If I can help let me know.

1Bahnerjet
03-05-2003, 04:03 PM
http://www.***boat.net/image_center/data/500/43Z-med.jpg
:cool:
-----------------
Drive What You Own And Like What You Drive

1Bahnerjet
03-05-2003, 04:50 PM
http://www.***boat.net/image_center/data/500/43SP-med.jpg :D
-----------------

SPECTRABRENT
03-05-2003, 09:50 PM
I have a 1974 Spectra 20, Four full lenght stringers, heavy lay up. Its a jet (Berkeley JC), but perfect for converting to a v-drive.
It has never had a window, bow rail or bow rail and thr trailer is a Competitive.
$2,000.00
It is going to the gel coat shop if dont sell it within the next month.
Hey Bahner1, I would like to get a good copy of that Spectra ad with Herbst Spectra 20 for the Spectra site. Let me know the cost.
Brent
www.spectramarine.com (http://www.spectramarine.com)
[ March 05, 2003, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: SPECTRABRENT ]

syke-o
03-05-2003, 10:50 PM
spectrabrent check yuor pm

1Bahnerjet
03-06-2003, 06:56 AM
Hey Bahner1, I would like to get a good copy of that Spectra ad with Herbst Spectra 20 for the Spectra site. Let me know the cost
-----------------------
I have Been Working with scanning and posting , Thats about as good as it gets. Maybe I could send you a copy if it prints out any clearer.
wink
-----------------------

syke-o
03-06-2003, 09:35 AM
this is probably a dumb question, but has anyone ever converted a spectra jet to an i/o? is it even possible, or even worth it? :confused:

Jordy
03-06-2003, 09:47 AM
RiverDave:
Besides.. V-Drives are "cool." wink
RD Suckass. :D :D :D

syke-o
03-06-2003, 03:38 PM
RiverDave:
It's definately possible, and more then worth it!
One of the main reasons I'm going with a V-Drive is becuase of Horsepower though. After I'm all done blowing an ungodly amount of money on the engine, I don't think my heart (read that wallet) can take turning around and blowing another huge sum of money trying to get a drive that'll survive the HP. Those big Cat guys have deeper pockets then I have. There blowing drives once or twice a season and just putting them back together with different parts and trying different combo's.
As a matter of fact go into the cat's and tunnels section and you'll see where SVO540 gave a 50 Hour update on his drive.
After my POS is done, I'll have enough worries with the engine, I don't want to be worrying about propulsion as well. Not to mention with an I/O no matter which one you have (Unless you get real $$$$$) you can't just whack the gas and make the boat leap out of the water with out breaking something.
Besides.. V-Drives are "cool." wink
The benefit of an I/O though is I believe it would probably be considerably faster with less Horsepower.
RD thanks for the insight... i appreciate it... :D