PDA

View Full Version : I won't buy a optima battery.

Riverbass
07-17-2007, 05:47 PM
I bought optima battery (blue top) back in April. When I bought this battery it was almost dead but it did fire the boat.
I ran the boat 4 times since then. The boat was run 3 weeks ago. I pulled the boat out Sunday and went to fire it off and nothing by the way I unhook the battery when I store it. Checked the charging system and cables, all good. Now the PRICKS at optima donÂ’t want to replace it they tell me after they charge it if it holds a charge for one day there is nothing wrong with it. Now I need to drop 2 more bills on a battery but it wonÂ’t be an optima for the jet. I was going to replace all three batteries in the bass boat with optimaÂ’s but I am going to stick with the AC Delco deep cycles. DonÂ’t know what to do about optima I just want my money back. But thatÂ’s not going to happen without a fight. CanÂ’t go into what happened when I called customer service here. But she was a bxxxh also very poor customer service.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Havasu Carrera
07-17-2007, 05:52 PM
I bought my boat with two red tops that were about 2 years old. I ran them all year but it seems they only last about 1 hour with stereo on?? My charger just says they are 100% but I dono. I think there is a battery thread here somewhere. I just like the sealed deal. Sorry bout your pain.

Sleek-Jet
07-17-2007, 05:52 PM
This is the first I've heard of anyone having a problem with an optima... I've got a red top in my Cutlass... it get's started once every couple of months, if that it seems, and the battery always cranks the engine till it starts. And the battery is coming up on 6 years old.
If you want to go with a gel cell like the optima, but don't want an optima, I've had good luck with Excide Gel Cell batteries. I've got one in my Blazer that has survived 2 summers here in the heat. Wasn't really any cheaper than brand "O" though.

Slacker
07-17-2007, 06:03 PM
I have a red top in my expedintion going on 6 years now no problems... Now my blue top is a different story. I bought one last may and only used it about 5 times since then, put it in the boat over the winter(didnt charge it as it says you dont have to). Gave me some problems while putting in new motor, Took it for a ride on july 4 no prob, come home and charge it up. Go to take it out 3 days later, charger light says its good to go,put it in and wont start. Took it to Advance auto along with my alt. and both were bad. Called Optima (kinda crappy service reps) told me i had to take it back to the place i bought it. Suppose to have an 18 month warranty on it (no questions), so i traded it in for another one so i will wait and see what happens. A gentleman a Batteries Plus told me OPtima had a bad batch of batteries go about the same time i bought mine last year, I believed him as i didnt purchast a thing from him.So you should be able to take it back and trade it in or get some money back for the warranty... Good luck

cdog
07-17-2007, 06:04 PM
My blue tops have been excellent. I even have 1 left over from my schiada. The Alternator in the schiada would fry from the RPM's and the Optima blue top would run the fuel pump and msd system. I'd bet you have a short that's killing the batt.

Riverbass
07-17-2007, 06:10 PM
My blue tops have been excellent. I even have 1 left over from my schiada. The Alternator in the schiada would fry from the RPM's and the Optima blue top would run the fuel pump and msd system. I'd bet you have a short that's killing the batt.
Can't kill a battery that has not hooked up in three weeks. That means no short.

meaniam
07-17-2007, 06:12 PM
I bought optima battery (blue top) back in April. When I bought this battery it was almost dead but it did fire the boat.
I ran the boat 4 times since then. The boat was run 3 weeks ago. I pulled the boat out Sunday and went to fire it off and nothing by the way I unhook the battery when I store it. Checked the charging system and cables, all good. Now the PRICKS at optima donÂ’t want to replace it they tell me after they charge it if it holds a charge for one day there is nothing wrong with it. Now I need to drop 2 more bills on a battery but it wonÂ’t be an optima for the jet. I was going to replace all three batteries in the bass boat with optimaÂ’s but I am going to stick with the AC Delco deep cycles. DonÂ’t know what to do about optima I just want my money back. But thatÂ’s not going to happen without a fight. CanÂ’t go into what happened when I called customer service here. But she was a bxxxh also very poor customer service.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
if you bought it with a credit card . file a claim tell them exactly what the problem is. i didnt go with the blue top becuase of cca cold cranking amps being lower. most of the time the credit card will fight it for you. and i have never lost. then you just throw the p.o.s away. dont the optima need to be trickle charged at first to recive a full charge?

12BJeepin
07-17-2007, 06:49 PM
I have been running Optima's since they first came out 12 or so years ago. After the company sold, I believe the customer service went away also.
Anyhow there might be a possible solutions to your problem. Disconnect the battery and take it out of the boat, hold it about 12" from the ground and drop it. Do this about 7 or 8 times, put a good trickle charge on it, and see what happens. As oddly as it sounds, it has worked for me several times, on both new and old Optima's.

sunsoaker8
07-17-2007, 07:18 PM
I had the same problem. I bought a blue top Optima at All American Battery and used it one day. Ran from Havasu to Needles Marina and back. Battery got hot and lost the charge by the time I got back to Havasu. Brought it back to All American and talked to someone at the counter.. said they would replace it... then someone else came out.. Steve I think his name was.. jacked me around and said the battery checked out ok. Refused to replace it. I went home and called Optima and explained the situation and they drop shipped me a new battery. Had it in 3 days.... needless to say.. won't be going back to All American.. for anything.. Call Optima customer service.. they should replace it for you. The replacement battery is working fine.

RitcheyRch
07-17-2007, 07:24 PM
I too have had Optimas since they came out about 10-12 years ago. Remember buying my first one at the LA Auto Show. I have never had any issues with them.

Boozer
07-17-2007, 07:24 PM
I don't know if they have a batteries plus in your area but if they do you should consider talking to them.
I have been doing business with batteries plus for a little over a year and I couldn't be happier. I set up a business account with them and get a good deal on all of my batteries, when I have had a problem they have taken good care of me. I bought a marine battery from them for the boat at the begining of the season, brought it home, put it in the boat and it didn't have enough amperage to crank the boat. When I took the battery back to them and told them that the battery couldn't get the boat to turn over they gave me the next size up for no additional charge and apologized for the inconvenience. That's what I call service.
Optima got big, sold out and they have since went to shit. there are many companies out there making the dry cell batteries and most are as good if not better then Optima. When you buy Optima you pay for the name PERIOD and the name isn't shit anymore because the quality of their products is shit now.

lalhc
07-17-2007, 07:29 PM
This is my 4th season on my red tops and no problems whatsoever

rivercrazy
07-17-2007, 07:51 PM
I have 3 optima blue top deep cycles in my boat going on 6 seasons. And I run a 2000 watt + stereo. THey are still going like brand new. My experience with Optima's have been excellent

GOTLDH
07-17-2007, 07:55 PM
Buy the Optimas at Cosco. I take mine back every year at the start of boating season, every now and again I let the Stereo play too long and kill 1 but rather than charge it I just go get another one.

riverracerx
07-17-2007, 08:03 PM
I had two new Blue tops and one went sour after a few months. Took it to the battery place in Havi and they confirmed it was a dud. I took it back to Autozone in Havi and they pro-rated the purchase. I then went to Kmart and bought the two best they had. They lasted another 3 years for $40/ea.
No more $200 batteries for me.

brad22
07-17-2007, 08:05 PM
This is the first time I have ever heard of somebody having a problem with their Optima battery. I'm shocked, I always considered them to be the best out there. We run Optimas in the race boats and never had any problems. S*it we even had one under water for over 6 hours and it still works great (i know their sealed but thats still cool :D ).
Thanks for the info and good luck on the new batteries.

BadKachina
07-17-2007, 08:12 PM
This is straight from my Optima rep.. He told me anytime I have an Optima thats not holding a charge, hold it waste high and drop it on the concrete. He said it will break up whatever makes it work inside and it should be like new again. I have hit some with a rubber mallet in my own personal boat and they seemed to have new life???? Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't.:idea:

goneboatin
07-17-2007, 10:03 PM
I was at Wallyworld (Walmart) a few weeks ago and saw that they had 1000 CCA deep cycle marine batteries for $69.95, and on top of that I think they came with a 24 month replacement guarantee. For that much for a 1000 CCA battery, you could afford to replace them every other year.

SummitKarl
07-17-2007, 10:37 PM
you must charge Optimas with a AGM (Advanced Glass Matt) charger, std charger will not work and will most likely short the 1st cell hooked to the Neg terminal...causing a power drain internial to the batt..
using the right charger is key to the optimas life.....
the right charger (http://store.schumachermart.com/sc-1000a.html)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-17-2007, 10:41 PM
This is straight from my Optima rep.. He told me anytime I have an Optima thats not holding a charge, hold it waste high and drop it on the concrete. He said it will break up whatever makes it work inside and it should be like new again. I have hit some with a rubber mallet in my own personal boat and they seemed to have new life???? Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't.:idea:
That is very true!!!!!

Cas
07-17-2007, 10:42 PM
pretty interesting. It's either they're great or they suck. I've had 3 red tops that went bad so I'll never be buying another.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-17-2007, 10:43 PM
you must charge Optimas with a AGM (Advanced Glass Matt) charger, std charger will not work and will most likely short the 1st cell hooked to the Neg terminal...causing a power drain internial to the batt..
I will have to disagree with you Karl. I have been selling optimas for 10 years and never once heard this before. You just have to trickle chrge them on 1 or 2 amp for a long cycle. Keep ANY battery disconnected and maintain a charge if it isnt being used for a extended period of time.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-17-2007, 10:55 PM
Pro......non spillable
Pro......no corrosion
Pro......size
pro......longevity
Con.....price
Look at the delco batteries. They have been leaking on the positive terminal for a long time. When this happens they can take out the battery cable,starter, and battery tray.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-17-2007, 10:57 PM
Just pulled 2 out of my denali and they have been in there for almost 3 years. Still have 100% charge and work perfect. I had them on 8 12's, 6 tv's, 2 1800 watt amps, 1 500watt amp, and all the other power stuff in my Denali. They worked perfect until july 1st at 12:22pm :cry:

Devilman
07-18-2007, 04:00 AM
I was at Wallworld (Walmart) a few weeks ago and saw that they had 1000 CCA deep cycle marine batteries for $69.95, and on top of that I think they came with a 24 month replacement guarantee. For that much for a 1000 CCA battery, you could afford to replace them every other year.
Whatever that black & yellow battery Wal-Mart sells, I put that in the boat in summer of 2004. Been fine ever since. No trickle chargers, no disconnecting the battery either. Think it was around $60 bucks when I got it? Like was mentioned, "long live the cheapo".....
(hoping the faint *clunk* I just heard was not my battery suddenly keeling over, lol)

DEMOMAN
07-18-2007, 05:14 AM
I run Odessey instead of Optima and have never had a problem. I'll run the system pretty hard for three days without killing them. 2- 2150's for the stereo and one small one as an emergency starter.

a catered life
07-18-2007, 06:20 AM
Buy the Optimas at Cosco. I take mine back every year at the start of boating season, every now and again I let the Stereo play too long and kill 1 but rather than charge it I just go get another one.
best info so far i agree we do the same

RitcheyRch
07-18-2007, 06:46 AM
I use the Ctek Charger for my Optimas
http://www.ctek.com/us/home.asp

meaniam
07-18-2007, 07:02 AM
some good info on this site. i am gonna try the dropping of the battery deal on one of them that i have laying around. see if that works for me. i hope it does.

KLEPTOW
07-18-2007, 09:05 AM
I have 4 that other boaters through out. I drained the things all the way down and trickle them back up. The oldest is about 8 years old.
Even if the battery is not connected to anything it is discharging, They should ether get busy charging or get busy diying.

RiverDave
07-18-2007, 09:57 AM
I'm amazed at how many people just take back perfectly good batteries? Or will have their credit card companies fight a charge from awhile back?
No wonder shit it so expensive nowdayz?
BTW, the credit card company most likely doesn't fight that battle for 186 bucks. They just throw it in a "loss" bin, and raise rates on the po folk.. LOL
Never heard of the dropping the battery from waste high trick? Might have to try that next time an optima takes a shit on me.. I've gone through a few over the years, but they still are one of the best things going for the money. :)
Optima's do have a reputation for randomly exploding while charging (burned down one of my neighbors garages point in fact), I think that's the only thing that'd make me leary about dropping them on the ground etc.. drop one, hook it up, and have it let loose when I wasn't home etc..
RD

Baja Big Dog
07-18-2007, 10:12 AM
Run them on the the race car because they are free, of course we run two and the chase trucks have about ten on board for spares.
Have tried them on the Jeeps, boats and had very poor luck, I agree with the WalMart fix, made my BIL do the math, three from WalMart will outlast 1 Optima.

superdave013
07-18-2007, 10:25 AM
BTW, the credit card company most likely doesn't fight that battle for 186 bucks. They just throw it in a "loss" bin, and raise rates on the po folk.. LOL
RD
They don't fight anything because they don't have to. Just like that BAM! they pull the money out of the bank account and give it back to the other guy. You never even know it happened until you do the books at the end of the month. Trust me, they don't even have a loss bin.

HitIt
07-18-2007, 10:53 AM
Way I figure it:
Optimas cost > 3x the amount of a deep cycle from Costco and the regular deep cycles usually have quite a bit more capacity than the Optimas (we are talking amp-hours, not cranking amps, although the cranking amps are close too)
What are the odds I will go through more than 3 regular deep cycles in the time I would own one optima? I would say slim to none. So I ask myself, "Why would anyone buy one of these things?"
Only answer I can come up with is non-spillable and I will totally buy that. If I needed a non-spillable battery I would buy one but I have never had a spilled battery in my cars/boats/trucks. Otherwise, WTF? Is it just the bling factor. Ooooh pretty.

SummitKarl
07-18-2007, 11:40 AM
I will have to disagree with you Karl. I have been selling optimas for 10 years and never once heard this before. You just have to trickle chrge them on 1 or 2 amp for a long cycle. Keep ANY battery disconnected and maintain a charge if it isnt being used for a extended period of time.
here is a artical I read about charging AGM's, it talks about why you need a voltage regulated charger
AGM Charging (http://www.rversonline.org/ArtAGM.html)

BajaMike
07-18-2007, 11:57 AM
Yea, what he said....buy at Cosco and you can return it for full credit or cash at any time for any reason.....
:idea:

eliminatedsprinter
07-18-2007, 12:06 PM
Anyhow there might be a possible solutions to your problem. Disconnect the battery and take it out of the boat, hold it about 12" from the ground and drop it. Do this about 7 or 8 times, put a good trickle charge on it, and see what happens. As oddly as it sounds, it has worked for me several times, on both new and old Optima's.
This is about what my Optima goes through just about every time I take my boat out...:D

BigDogIvan
07-18-2007, 12:09 PM
I run a yellow group 27 size marine battery from Wallyworld that I think has 800 cca. I'm on my 3rd season with it and not a problem. This is the second one I have had in 6 years. I think I paid $69 for it.

Sleek-Jet
07-18-2007, 12:12 PM
Way I figure it:
Optimas cost > 3x the amount of a deep cycle from Costco and the regular deep cycles usually have quite a bit more capacity than the Optimas (we are talking amp-hours, not cranking amps, although the cranking amps are close too)
What are the odds I will go through more than 3 regular deep cycles in the time I would own one optima? I would say slim to none. So I ask myself, "Why would anyone buy one of these things?"
Only answer I can come up with is non-spillable and I will totally buy that. If I needed a non-spillable battery I would buy one but I have never had a spilled battery in my cars/boats/trucks. Otherwise, WTF? Is it just the bling factor. Ooooh pretty.
I can't speak for anyone else, but my experience has been that lead acid batteries last one full summer out here and then have to replaced... the electrolight evaporates off and since you can't add water to these new batteries it get's expensive to buy lead acids every year.
That's why all my stuff have the gell batteries.

73kona455
07-18-2007, 12:16 PM
i have an optima thats close to 6 yrs old in my boat.. never had a problem with it....:)

trawfish
07-18-2007, 12:16 PM
2000 f-250 powerstroke... two red tops in 2001.. 1200 watt system...still going
2000- commander... two blue tops in 2002.. 2000 watt system.. still going
I'm ok with that math!

HitIt
07-18-2007, 12:37 PM
I can't speak for anyone else, but my experience has been that lead acid batteries last one full summer out here and then have to replaced... the electrolight evaporates off and since you can't add water to these new batteries it get's expensive to buy lead acids every year.
Makes sense. If I had that problem I would be looking into the gels too. I must not run in the heat as much as you. Got me thinking. Are we getting kind of jacked around with the "maintenance free" batteries? Would they last longer if we could actually check and just freakin add more water?

OCMerrill
07-18-2007, 12:38 PM
I have had a few red top issues. In my RV as a starting battery they don't like to sit. Once the are brought down below 12V (even once) their capacity is shot.
As stated above Costco takes them back if bought there.
Optima was bought by Johnson Controls (they make the majority of all batteries) a few years back. JC has always made the optima it just now owns it.
I buy the RV batties from costco. $59 and I have never had a problem except they are full of liquid in which if I had a $$$$$ boat I would pass on.
My batteries are tucked away so I don't have the need for a billet battery box. If your hatch opens and the batteries are exposed all the time then optimas are about your only choice with a billet box now I think.

RiverDave
07-18-2007, 12:50 PM
I have had a few red top issues. In my RV as a starting battery they don't like to sit. Once the are brought down below 12V (even once) their capacity is shot.
As stated above Costco takes them back if bought there.
Optima was bought by Johnson Controls (they make the majority of all batteries) a few years back. JC has always made the optima it just now owns it.
I buy the RV batties from costco. $59 and I have never had a problem except they are full of liquid in which if I had a $$$$$ boat I would pass on.
My batteries are tucked away so I don't have the need for a billet battery box. If your hatch opens and the batteries are exposed all the time then optimas are about your only choice with a billet box now I think.
Actually Rex, Dana, and Eddie all make bitchen battery boxes for group 24's 27's etc.. The battery box selection in the way of optima's is a little limited. The really cool boxes are primarilly made for the 24's as far as Dana is concerned.
RD

Sleek-Jet
07-18-2007, 12:55 PM
Makes sense. If I had that problem I would be looking into the gels too. I must not run in the heat as much as you. Got me thinking. Are we getting kind of jacked around with the "maintenance free" batteries? Would they last longer if we could actually check and just freakin add more water?
All my stuff is parked outside (except the Cutlass), so it gets H O T under the hood in the summer.
Now the lead acid in my airplane is vented and can be serviced. Those batteries last at least 5 years or so with regular maint.