PDA

View Full Version : optima as a company sucks.

Riverbass
07-17-2007, 05:49 PM
I bought optima battery (blue top) back in April. When I bought this battery it was almost dead but it did fire the boat.
I ran the boat 4 times since then. The boat was run 3 weeks ago. I pulled the boat out Sunday and went to fire it off and nothing by the way I unhook the battery when I store it. Checked the charging system and cables, all good. Now the PRICKS at optima donÂ’t want to replace it they tell me after they charge it if it holds a charge for one day there is nothing wrong with it. Now I need to drop 2 more bills on a battery but it wonÂ’t be an optima for the jet. I was going to replace all three batteries in the bass boat with optimaÂ’s but I am going to stick with the AC Delco deep cycles. DonÂ’t know what to do about optima I just want my money back. But thatÂ’s not going to happen without a fight. CanÂ’t go into what happened when I called customer service here. But she was a bxxxh also very poor customer service.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-17-2007, 06:40 PM
I have been selling optimas for 10 years. The blue tops for some reason SUCK! They are identical to the yellow tops but they somehow die very quickly. Replace them with red or yellow tops and you will be happy. ***Stay away from delco batteries**** If you want to killer battery then get a few "workaholics" from interstate. They are the best battery ont he market and will take a serious beating! We use to use them in our hopping trucks and cars back in the day.

Cas
07-17-2007, 06:47 PM
You won't see me having any Optimas either. I bought a Red Top about 3 1/2 yrs ago, 5 months later it's dead. I get that one replaced and 6 months later that one is dead. I get it replaced one more time and yep, 6 months later it's dead. The company that carried them here in town discontinued the Optimas so I couldn't get it warrantied through them any longer and the next nearest place is 40 miles away.
Since it was only a couple of days before we went to Shasta last year, I just bought a $40.00 cheapo at Kragen. It's been a year and I have never disconnected the battery and I have yet to have to recharge it. Long live the cheapo :D

W.O.T
07-17-2007, 06:55 PM
Optimas are just too expensive for me. I just bought a Kirkland battery from Costco. Two year warranty cant beat it.

Burn504
07-17-2007, 06:56 PM
i too have went through 5 optimas in the last 5.5yrs...
3 reds and 2 yellows. they suck for a battery that isnt used daily

LGCDEVIL
07-17-2007, 08:34 PM
I've had two blue tops for 4 years. I've had them in two different boats. One sat for 18 mos. No problems. Disconnect the batteries every time and charge 'em slow.

LakesOnly
07-17-2007, 09:25 PM
My Odyssey dry cell lasted years and years. I run the PC1200.
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/ody-pc1200_w.jpg
For more Odyssey dry cell batts, click HERE. (http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+400109+115+4294769489)
LO

LuckyDaze
07-17-2007, 09:49 PM
are any of you fellas using trickle chargers? My batteries seem to last longer than the average person but I put them on a trickle charger when Im not using them. :idea:
~Brian

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-17-2007, 09:57 PM
If you live near an autozone buy them there. You will NOT beat the warranty program they have!!!!! 3 years free replacement at ANY autozone! I work for carquest and still buy my batteries there. Also, make sure that they are fully charged very slow like 1 or 2 amps! Fast charging will burn the cells in them. Optimas are NOT gell cell. They are fiberglass core in a spiral.
12.00 is 25% charged
12.25 is 50% charged
12.45 is 75% charged
12.75 is 100% charged

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-17-2007, 09:58 PM
are any of you fellas using trickle chargers? My batteries seem to last longer than the average person but I put them on a trickle charger when Im not using them. :idea:
~Brian
Brian is correct! When not in use disconnect and make sure that they get a slow charge once a month. Maintenance will make a battery last a looooong time.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-17-2007, 10:00 PM
Optimas are just too expensive for me. I just bought a Kirkland battery from Costco. Two year warranty cant beat it.
Thats understandable;) The main reason I run optima is because they DONT LEAK unless punctured........
No acid exposure= No corrosion :)

victorfb
07-17-2007, 11:15 PM
ive been running red top optimas for years. i did have one that didnt last, but that was an on sale deal from a local speed shop that got them from a race that was sponsored by optima. go figure that was the one that wasnt worth the deal. i am actually still useing the first red top i bought 12 years ago. its been in my buggy, then in the tahiti, then back in the buggy, then in the tahiti, buggy, tahiti, buggy, then in the rogers, buggy, then in a pickup, back in the rogers, and there its been for another three seasons. is it time to replace it? probably, but its still holding a good charge and cranking the 502 BBC no problem. red tops and yellow tops have treated me well, havnt used the blue tops and dont see a need for them either. if you want to see all the interstates and delcos i have that are dead, come on by and take a few as you leave. for me i will continue useing the optimas and even if i get a bad one, i will just chaulk it up to bad luck. now i am sorry that optima didnt take care of you when you called, but then again i didnt get to hear the conversation. you would think they would atleast send you a free optima ball cap. :D

Riverbass
07-17-2007, 11:18 PM
I have been selling optimas for 10 years. The blue tops for some reason SUCK! They are identical to the yellow tops but they somehow die very quickly. Replace them with red or yellow tops and you will be happy. ***Stay away from delco batteries**** If you want to killer battery then get a few "workaholics" from interstate. They are the best battery ont he market and will take a serious beating! We use to use them in our hopping trucks and cars back in the day.
Ok then i have a question, what is the difference between the red and the blue tops? and also why not delco batteries? I have 3 delco's in my bass boat and they work great....

wet77
07-18-2007, 02:27 AM
I am going on year 4 with my optima blue top and have had no problems at all.
I do use a battery tender every time the boat goes back in the garage and I am sure that helps.
I only use the boat less than a dozen times a year so you figure the battery does not see a regular charge like it would in a "daily driver"
I have a red top in the jeep that has a GM one wire alternator in it and it goes completely dead once in a while. I was told I need to run a diode in line so the alternator does not backfeed and drain the battery:idea:
Maybe thats what is happening to some of the boats in this thread:idea:

Devilman
07-18-2007, 03:38 AM
Whatever that black & yellow battery Wal-Mart sells, I put that in the boat in summer of 2004. Been fine ever since. No trickle chargers, no disconnecting the battery either. Think it was around $60 bucks when I got it? Like was mentioned, "long live the cheapo"..... :D
(hoping the faint *clunk* I just heard was not my battery suddenly keeling over, lol)

Heatseeker
07-18-2007, 05:39 AM
I guess I got lucky. I bought a used yellow top from a solar power store in Sacramento 5 years ago. I don't disconnect it ever, have never had to charge it and I can go down right now and fire the boat off with it.
I really like my Optima ;) !

Taylorman
07-18-2007, 06:10 AM
I have a blue top i bought on ebay 2 or 3 years ago and i love it. Never disconnected it and never charged it. Works great.

Mr. Crusader 83
07-18-2007, 06:15 AM
I have 2 Blue tops in the boat and a yellow top in my truck and they work great. I have a 2000 watt system in my truck and with the old battery my lights would dim when the bass would hit. With the yellow top it does nothing. I can get the blue tops for $135 in escondido ca if anyone needs a hookup. They might even swap out your bad ones.

Hotfish
07-18-2007, 04:14 PM
I have had a blue top in my boat since '98. Its just now starting to give up the ghost.

OverKill
07-18-2007, 07:04 PM
Hotfish how ya been? Dan and family came by on Sunday and said you all had a good time on the river. I hear your running some good numbers with the new motor. Have fun and hope to see you on Labor Day weekend.
James

jetovatorjeff
07-18-2007, 07:14 PM
2 blue optimas for 2 years never charged. work killer. knock on wood.:D

pw_Tony
07-18-2007, 07:18 PM
OK so should we make this a poll??
:D
50% Loves their Optimas
50% Have many troubles with them.
Hmm what conclusions can we draw...;)

bead
07-18-2007, 07:25 PM
and still works great , bought another one jus cause i thought it would die at any time . still running the same battery put the new one in my dually. no problems. trick is to trickle charge after long periods of down time . i have one in everything with no probs.

riverbound
07-18-2007, 07:31 PM
I havent had any problems with mine....but now that I posted that, thye are gonna take a shit :rolleyes:

Squirtcha?
07-18-2007, 08:33 PM
I havent had any problems with mine....but now that I posted that, thye are gonna take a shit :rolleyes:
That's what happend to me. Just a couple weeks ago I was braggin on my Autozone special lasting 7 years. Last weekend it went belly up.

suckin&pumpin
07-18-2007, 08:43 PM
LONG LIVE THE CHEAPO
2 yrs and never disconnected or charged starts every time, but then again its a ford so that might be why it starts every time :P

Jet Hydro
07-19-2007, 11:32 AM
I run a red top in the Camaro and the Drag Boat. I never charge em till I want to use em and have never had one problem ;) Going on 4 years now :D