PDA

View Full Version : Balancer question

shagmebaby
07-18-2007, 06:36 AM
At what H.P. or rpm do you need a after market balancer ? I have a 355 sb with approx 400hp w/ a stock balancer no problems , but I dont want any.

Ryan00TJ
07-18-2007, 12:02 PM
I have the same engine setup in my Challenger and have used a FluidDamper harmonic balancer since I started modding the engines back in 92. For the price they are cheap insurance.
http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/8145/fluiddamperharmonicbalaoa3.th.jpg (http://img369.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fluiddamperharmonicbalaoa3.jpg)

VAMI
07-18-2007, 12:30 PM
get an American SFI approved stay AWAY FROM IMPORT such as PROFROM!

HONDOG
07-18-2007, 05:43 PM
For my money the ATI Superdamper is about the best. Ran one for years on my NA motors.

GofastRacer
07-18-2007, 06:18 PM
OEM balancers are made for daily drivers, not hot rodding or racing. When an outer ring comes off at high rpm(and they do)they turn into a saw blade and will take out everything in it's path including part of the hull before it comes to a stop!.. Get an SFI aproved balancer period, it don't cost that much compared to the damage /injury an OEM one would!..

ck7684
07-20-2007, 07:56 AM
I like Fluidamp but if you're on a budget just look for an SFI certified balancer. If you want the best, get a Fluidamp :D

ghittner
07-20-2007, 08:13 AM
get an American SFI approved stay AWAY FROM IMPORT such as PROFROM!
Vami is dead on. I had one of the pro forms try to come aprt after 1 season. Went to TCI. Happy with no problems. In answer to your question of "do I Need One? When a dampner comes apart in a car, it hits the ground. When the dampner comes apart in a boat it hits the bottom of the lake first, your boat hits the bottom second......

cstraub
07-20-2007, 08:22 AM
The Romac SFI unit is an excellent choice.

shagmebaby
07-20-2007, 01:25 PM
Thanks guys, all good input. Looks like I have next weekends project all set up now !!:D

FlatRat
07-21-2007, 02:42 AM
Whatever ya do,
have the rotating assembly balanced w/the new balancer.I changed mine on my Hilborn Inj.BBC and did not have everthing rebalanced...it killed the motor..I mean it ate itself.Spin # 1 main and ruined the cap.:confused:

LUVNLIFE
07-21-2007, 12:44 PM
Whatever ya do,
have the rotating assembly balanced w/the new balancer.I changed mine on my Hilborn Inj.BBC and did not have everthing rebalanced...it killed the motor..I mean it ate itself.Spin # 1 main and ruined the cap.:confused:
I always wondered this. Is there no way to upgrade the balancer if your motor is together. BTW I have a fluiddampner and a TCI, both done their job:)

ck7684
07-23-2007, 08:46 AM
SBC and BBC are balanced differently. (Internally vs. externally) ...Should be able to swap balancers on a small block without rebalancing, but this is a must for ext balanced BBC's

shagmebaby
07-23-2007, 10:04 AM
So can I just get an internally balanced balancer and put it on ? Or is that just a big engine bill waiting to happen :confused:

cfm
07-23-2007, 11:40 AM
At what H.P. or rpm do you need a after market balancer ? I have a 355 sb with approx 400hp w/ a stock balancer no problems , but I dont want any.
As far as the harmonic part of a harmonic balancer, I've been led to believe that it depends on the intended rpm usage of the engine.
OEM's typically target idle to 4-5k.
Aftermarket one's need to be found out. As example, most of the ATI's concentrate on suatained rpm's over 5 or 6k.
It would be near impossible (suposedly) to do a tremendous job in each rpm range, therefore the range must be chosen.

ck7684
07-24-2007, 05:37 AM
Most stock balancers do target a specific RPM, and aftermarket ones tend to be built stronger and target a higher RPM, and the Fluidamp works at ALL RPM's.
You shouldnt have a problem getting any SBC (except the 400) balancer for your engine. The smaller the balancer the faster it will allow the engine to spin up though, plus it takes up less space...
Now, regarding the BBC, you need to have both the balancer and flywheel to balance the rotating assembly!!