PDA

View Full Version : Deep Creek Summer Send Off??

Wet Dream
07-18-2007, 06:47 AM
The goal of getting Anna fully planned for the end of summer probably isn't going to happen. We have run into hotel booking conflicts at the lodge with a large party going on out there during the weekend we wanted, and after that, the power plant has taken all rooms. What about Deep Creek Lake? Its 3 hours from the DC area, closer than that for the WV guys, 4 hours for us. Havre would be nice, but it has it drawbacks. Any opinions?
Deep Creek (http://www.deepcreeklake.com/default.asp)

LynnsJet
07-18-2007, 08:48 AM
It's a nice place out in the country. (No DC traffic to fight). I will be there.

buckey79
07-18-2007, 12:32 PM
Sounds good. Where is it located?

Wet Dream
07-18-2007, 01:08 PM
Western Maryland, close to WV and PA. Is the whole lake a state park? MikeT knows about state parks and a beer.

fat rat
07-18-2007, 01:58 PM
What dates are you thinking of?

Wet Dream
07-18-2007, 02:09 PM
What dates are you thinking of?
Weekend after Labor Day? What do you think? I'm open, but later = colder.

LynnsJet
07-18-2007, 03:48 PM
How does it look for Hotels ? I know you will find a bar to dance on.
Has anyone been there that knows much about the lake? Are there any sandbars to hang out on?
I was there 10 years ago but I was into fishing then? What I do remember is that most of the commercial businesses, restaurants & Hotels are on the West side of the lake along Rte 219. The East side of the lake is mostly homes.

Wet Dream
07-18-2007, 04:03 PM
There are hotels, and some nice restaurants, I haven't dug far enough to find any ON the lake, but most within 10 to 15 minutes. I just thought I'd kick this around and get some input. 70 views, but nobody saying anything.

nitro557
07-18-2007, 06:25 PM
i cant think of any on the lake but some that are close
sandbar haha doesnt happen out there
the lake itself is small compared to anna but it could be fun,bob s or jonny b good are the ones to get ahold of for ???s about it i went ther and stayed at bobs house during xmas not a goodtime to scope out the lake:idea: :idea:

Wet Dream
07-18-2007, 08:20 PM
i cant think of any on the lake but some that are close
sandbar haha doesnt happen out there
the lake itself is small compared to anna but it could be fun,bob s or jonny b good are the ones to get ahold of for ???s about it i went ther and stayed at bobs house during xmas not a goodtime to scope out the lake:idea: :idea:
bob who? :rolleyes:

moparjet
07-19-2007, 04:13 AM
I Have 2 People At Work That Have Places Out There....ill Ask Them What They Think...it Sounds Good To Me

MarKist
07-20-2007, 04:09 PM
hey Fellas, just a reminder ....:)
Thunder On The James
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THUNDER ON THE JAMES 4TH ANNUAL
"TOYS FOR TOTS" RUN
LETS MAKE THIS A BIG YEAR FOR THE KIDS
SEPTEMBER 28,29 AND 30TH 2007
LAKE JAMES
MORGANTON, NC
Hotel Information
HOLIDAY INN
2400 South Sterling Street
Morganton, NC 28655
1-828-437-0171
Markist

buckey79
07-20-2007, 04:38 PM
Can't wait for James. As a matter of fact. Me and moparjet are gonna be in Mt. Pleasant the weekend of August 4th at Baitin lake and Lake norman. Anyone gonna be out and about that weekend?

HammerDown
07-20-2007, 05:43 PM
Raystown Lake... Fun Cabins...lol
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/medium/106446261_00.jpg

sunkisst
07-20-2007, 05:54 PM
What if we,"BOTE" or the 'FEAST OF THE EAST " participants were to meet at the LABARA meeting at Jacks house on Aug 18 for the official meeting?...Jack is still looking for LABARA sign-up members to help in the preservation of the Lakes activities,as they have been, in years gone bye.Thanks for your time,Jack Neidert.

Wet Dream
07-20-2007, 06:12 PM
hey Fellas, just a reminder ....:)
Thunder On The James
Markist
We know this. This is why we're trying to get this planned in late August or early September. Otherwise, we would plan it mid September and not have to interfere with your plan.

Wet Dream
07-20-2007, 06:15 PM
Raystown Lake... Fun Cabins...lol
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/medium/106446261_00.jpg
Raystown is an option, but everything is mosty likely booked until Labor Day weekend. After that, its open. But then its too close to the southern guys date. If people aren't going to that, then that leaves population for something up this way.

DansBlown73Nordic
07-20-2007, 06:15 PM
Im interested....

Wet Dream
07-20-2007, 06:17 PM
What if we,"BOTE" or the 'FEAST OF THE EAST " participants were to meet at the LABARA meeting at Jacks house on Aug 18 for the official meeting?...Jack is still looking for LABARA sign-up members to help in the preservation of the Lakes activities,as they have been, in years gone bye.Thanks for your time,Jack Neidert.
Room availabilty becomes an issue. The cell block is pretty much booked during the original date for Anna, not sure of the others,. but then we're into a few people that take a vacation and won't be able to make it during your proposed date.

sunkisst
07-20-2007, 06:28 PM
Dan,EXACTLY what are your interests?

shirkey4750
07-20-2007, 07:11 PM
Speaking of vacations, anybody going to br in Myrtle Beach next week?

DansBlown73Nordic
07-21-2007, 03:06 AM
No but were headed to Onieda Lake for the week!!!!:D

DelawareDave
07-21-2007, 04:04 AM
Speaking of vacations, anybody going to br in Myrtle Beach next week?
Heading to Austin, Texas Aug 6.

JOHNNYBEGOOD
07-23-2007, 03:32 AM
Deep Creek Lake is a very nice lake with hotels and resturants all over the lake. Every hotel has it's own docks. The lake itself is about half the size of Lake Anna. There are bars on the lake.
This is a very fun lake to go to with lots of things to do. But I do not think it is a very jet boat friendly lake. Ths lake between the bridges is very rough. The DNR do not like loud boats. There are no sand bars or any soft banks to beach your boat. The lake is completey developed with houses, hotels, bars, stores, and just about anything else that you want.
I have been going to Deep Creek lake for about 25 years. I do not think I would take my jet boat up there. It is a very busy lake. So busy in fact that they limit jet ski traffic by not allowing them on the water between the hours of 11am and 4pm on weekends. It is a fun lake to take your family or to go and party.
I think that BobS has a place at Deep Creek, he would know.
I have never been to Cheat Lake, but this might be an option. It is just west of Deep Creek Lake in West Virginia on I68.
One more thing about Deep Creek Lake. The water never ever warms up.

BobS
07-25-2007, 04:52 AM
What Johnnybegood sez. It is a deep water lake - no sandbars. Spring fed - clean - and yes, um... refreshing to jump in. Twelve miles long, about 3900 acres if I remember. Elevation is around 2600 feet so you will probably run fat. The State Park is at the halfway point. Nice facilities and has a camp ground. The water can be really rough in that area. Oh, and you have to park it at a dock, no beaching - not that there are any suitable public places to beach. Mostly a Ski Nautique/runabout/pontoon boat country get away kind of place. Not a lot of infrastructure compared to the number of vacation houses up there. There are hotels, but they are somewhat scattered around. After Labor Day, the crowds die down.
You will want to run baffles if you go. My first time on the lake I got stopped for noise. I showed him my baffles, after all, they were right there in my tool kit. I think the constable was more interested in the boat anyway as he let me go.
I've never been to Cheat Lake either. This is another deep water deal. Any of the lakes up there are dammed mountain streams, so they have steep shorelines. I'm not sure about hotels there.

JOHNNYBEGOOD
08-01-2007, 05:08 AM
I got to talking about this to some friends that have gone to Deep Creek Lake for several years. While we all agree that it is a very fun lake to go to, it just is not a good jet boat lake.
However, I think that BobS would agree that it would be pretty cool to see about 25 jet boats pull up to the Honi Honi Bar about 1:00 on Saturday afternoon.