PDA

View Full Version : Tunnel tabs/25 daytona?

Badburn
07-18-2007, 06:48 AM
has anyone experimented with moving the tabs up or down on a 25 daytona? Mine are set 4 degrees down from the bottom of the boat, seems like that would be killing some top end speed:confused: Maybe it helps to get on plane faster? Any input appreciated:)

PLACECRAFT20
07-18-2007, 07:10 AM
I just installed a set from Dana on my 22. I set them at about a 1/4 inch up. I have not had a chance to run them yet with the rain in Texas. I hope I dont have to run them down that far.

2forcefull
07-18-2007, 07:33 AM
has anyone experimented with moving the tabs up or down on a 25 daytona? Mine are set 4 degrees down from the bottom of the boat, seems like that would be killing some top end speed:confused: Maybe it helps to get on plane faster? Any input appreciated:)
I like to set them with a straight edge so that they are an eight inch high'r
than the bottom of the boat, gives good transom lift at mid range and keeps it from kite'n at full speed. should be able to run faster top end for a longer distance cause the boat stays in the water. not to mention it is easy'r on the drive and gets on plane quicker. make you wonder why every cat don't have them

2forcefull
07-18-2007, 07:37 AM
runn'n fixed tabs 4 degrees down is a good way to stuff the nose!, I think you'll lose a lot of speed as it will be plow'n the front

Dave C
07-18-2007, 07:48 AM
my buddy has the same boat you have with trim tabs. Are yours fixed at the end of each tunnel?
I will look and see where his are located. I don't think he has messed with them yet.
My understanding is that they are there to fix a porpoise problem in that particular hull. The newer bottoms of that hull are different and don't require them.
The old boats we had ran them up. But these cats are totally different so who knows.

Badburn
07-18-2007, 08:01 AM
my buddy has the same boat you have with trim tabs. Are yours fixed at the end of each tunnel?
I will look and see where his are located. I don't think he has messed with them yet.
My understanding is that they are there to fix a porpoise problem in that particular hull. The newer bottoms of that hull are different and don't require them.
The old boats we had ran them up. But these cats are totally different so who knows.
Yes they are fixed and there is one on each tunnel. They were like this when I got the boat, and I havent messed with them yet. This boat has a 3 inch short drive , I wonder if setting them this way helps get it on plane??...........the prop slips a lot while planing.

shippingguy
07-18-2007, 08:12 AM
I may be wrong, but I hada set on my last 27 Shadow and by running them a bit lower it helped the boat hold and pack more air in turn keeping the bow up. If you raised them the air would not pack as well and slip through in turn causing the transom to lift. When this happens you will get the porpoise. I found running them just a bit lower helped top end because the hull was more efficient and the bow would carry ALOT better. Just my .02
Mike

shippingguy
07-18-2007, 08:14 AM
Yes they are fixed and there is one on each tunnel. They were like this when I got the boat, and I havent messed with them yet. This boat has a 3 inch short drive , I wonder if setting them this way helps get it on plane??...........the prop slips a lot while planing.
To help with your prop slip put a cav plate/drive plate on. This will make a world of difference. Teague set my new 27 Shadow up with one and it helped alot.
Mike

andy01
07-18-2007, 08:15 AM
runn'n fixed tabs 4 degrees down is a good way to stuff the nose!, I think you'll lose a lot of speed as it will be plow'n the front
I don't think you know how small these tabs are or how they are set up. It won't stuff the nose.
You are right Dave, they fix the hop these boats had. When they went to the two step it went away. Some people say the first bottom is faster because it packs more air. Who knows about that.
You will have more trouble getting it on plane with them up, 4 degrees won't make that much difference. If you are going to mess with the setup, try it on a very flat day. Early morning or something, so you can really feel how the boat is reacting. If it is rough you may not notice what it is really doing with them up or down.
Andy

Badburn
07-18-2007, 09:12 AM
I may be wrong, but I hada set on my last 27 Shadow and by running them a bit lower it helped the boat hold and pack more air in turn keeping the bow up. If you raised them the air would not pack as well and slip through in turn causing the transom to lift. When this happens you will get the porpoise. I found running them just a bit lower helped top end because the hull was more efficient and the bow would carry ALOT better. Just my .02
Mike
That is exactly what I was thinking;) Not sure, but I was thinking at speed there is air hitting these tabs- not water, thereby closing down the exit for the air a bit. Seems like this would hold more air under the boat??

shippingguy
07-18-2007, 09:18 AM
That is exactly what I was thinking;) Not sure, but I was thinking at speed there is air hitting these tabs- not water, thereby closing down the exit for the air a bit. Seems like this would hold more air under the boat??
Yes that is correct. It traps the air so that it does not push up on the transom in turn eliminating the hop. They work the opposite of TRIM TABS.

TOBTEK
07-18-2007, 10:18 AM
SO hows the new Daytona?

Badburn
07-18-2007, 11:39 AM
SO hows the new Daytona?
Since you asked, I'm a little bent about the fact that it was advertised as having 980 HP, and only has around 700 HP per the engine builder. Otherwise, I really love the boat:)

andy01
07-18-2007, 11:46 AM
Since you asked, I'm a little bent about the fact that it was advertised as having 980 HP, and only has around 700 HP per the engine builder. Otherwise, I really love the boat:)
:eek: :idea:

PLACECRAFT20
07-18-2007, 12:44 PM
So are you guys saying that the ones on my 22 should me set at least even with the bottom and not the 1/4 inch up I am starting with? I bought these to get rid of the porpoise. The Danas stick out about 16" and I am about a 1/4" up at the tip. I dont have a digital angle finder so the cheap one I have may be a guess at 4 degrees.

shippingguy
07-18-2007, 01:25 PM
So are you guys saying that the ones on my 22 should me set at least even with the bottom and not the 1/4 inch up I am starting with? I bought these to get rid of the porpoise. The Danas stick out about 16" and I am about a 1/4" up at the tip. I dont have a digital angle finder so the cheap one I have may be a guess at 4 degrees.
I would start with them level with the bottom and test from there. Running them level may take care of your porpoise. If not then adjust down from there accordingly.

3:30dirty
07-18-2007, 02:12 PM
Your forgetting that all of this is dependent on the x-dimension, set back, ect..I had the same exact boat, single step, 1000hp, 3" shorty. No need at all for tunnel tab. It did have a rather high X. I think a little more info is needed on the current set up..Just my opinion!

2forcefull
07-18-2007, 05:23 PM
Yes that is correct. It traps the air so that it does not push up on the transom in turn eliminating the hop. They work the opposite of TRIM TABS.
so are you say'n tab down gets bow lift?

2forcefull
07-18-2007, 05:27 PM
To help with your prop slip put a cav plate/drive plate on. This will make a world of difference. Teague set my new 27 Shadow up with one and it helped alot.
Mike
can you post a picture of the cav/drive plate

XTRM22
07-18-2007, 06:07 PM
Now I'm confused (kinda normal that's why I own a Vee) I remember being told that big adjustable tunnel tabs worked good on a cat because out of the hole you could drop them to help roll over on plane, then set em level up to top speed then start dropping them again to hold more air under the tunnel creating lift. I does seem like it would cause more stern lift and that doesn't seem like it would help the porpoise. Oh crap I like my vee, the tabs hold the bow down for hole shots and rough water, and smooth out the chine walking ( if I had enough horsepower to go fast enough to chine walk) none of this theoretical aerodynamic crap for me!:D
Chuck

shippingguy
07-18-2007, 06:12 PM
For tunnel tabs, yes. If you are talking about trim tabs mounted on the outside of the sponsons then no. If talking trim tabs if you trim them down you will put the nose down. Tunnel tabs when set level or a bit down will trap the air and eliminate the transom from lifting and in doing so give more bow lift. Of course it varies from boat to boat.
I will see if I have a pic of the plate, but I do not think I do.
Mike

boatnam2
07-18-2007, 06:39 PM
the old 1000 hp but really 700 man that sucks,heard that story more then a few times.

Cole Trickle
07-19-2007, 09:16 AM
Wow that sucks!!!
I would be a little pissed...Hopefully you got some compensation for the huge discrepency in numbers:mad: :eek:

PLACECRAFT20
07-19-2007, 10:15 AM
Here is the rear of the 22 Daytona before the tunnel tab install. It has a high X. Does this help.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/datona1JPG.JPG

acatitude
07-19-2007, 10:44 AM
Wow that sucks!!!
I would be a little pissed...Hopefully you got some compensation for the huge discrepency in numbers:mad: :eek:
Boy I kinda agree, when a guy advertises 980 hp and it turns out to be about 700 I'd be a little leary of buying anything from this guy without all the documented dyno pulls etc..... and yea a little compensation seems in order.... Is this Andy a stand up guy????????????????? or your basic car salesman...??? Don't wanta hear oh the owner said,,, You advertised it and told the specs and made your commission, so now what Andy??
The quote
1997 25’ Eliminator Daytona
This is a very clean 25 Daytona that can be had for what the motor and drive cost!!
All fresh, 502 with Dart aluminum heads, 871 BDS Blower w/ 950 holleys.12q oil pan. Motor made 980 hp on the dyno.

2forcefull
07-19-2007, 11:06 AM
Here is the rear of the 22 Daytona before the tunnel tab install. It has a high X. Does this help.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/datona1JPG.JPG
not to say I know what mov'n the tabs up or down dose but,

dicudmore
07-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Boy I kinda agree, when a guy advertises 980 hp and it turns out to be about 700 I'd be a little leary of buying anything from this guy without all the documented dyno pulls etc..... and yea a little compensation seems in order.... Is this Andy a stand up guy????????????????? or your basic car salesman...??? Don't wanta hear oh the owner said,,, You advertised it and told the specs and made your commission, so now what Andy??
The quote
1997 25’ Eliminator Daytona
This is a very clean 25 Daytona that can be had for what the motor and drive cost!!
All fresh, 502 with Dart aluminum heads, 871 BDS Blower w/ 950 holleys.12q oil pan. Motor made 980 hp on the dyno.
He is a stand-up guy...this boat was owned by a board members father, also a stand up guy.

acatitude
07-19-2007, 01:19 PM
I'm not saying or accussing anyone of is or isn't. Just asked a question and wondered, thats all. It seems like a legit question and surely is not aimed at the previous owner as the boat was bought through Andy and he stated what it was and had etc..
Who drove it and how fast and weather you would notice the difference is up for conjector and debate on a lot of factors.
I am just commenting on what it is as opposed to what it was advertised as and curious how a stand up guy fixes that? That was my only question.

Dave C
07-19-2007, 04:00 PM
no shiat.
I usually include a 25% bullshiat factor in anything advertised about a boat. ;) So 980*(1-.25) = 735..... so 700 seems about right ;) :D :)
J/K that sucks!
the old 1000 hp but really 700 man that sucks,heard that story more then a few times.

Daytona100
07-19-2007, 08:41 PM
Bueller..................Bueller.................. .....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

daytona22
07-20-2007, 09:28 PM
lets see some post install pics. i bet it doesn't go any faster!!!

PLACECRAFT20
07-23-2007, 11:10 AM
Finally a weekend with no rain in Texas. I got to try the new Dana tunnel tabs. they are set at 0 degrees or flat with the bottom of the boat. This is still about a 1/4 of an inch above the bottom because of the mounting hardware. At this setting it did not help the porpiose at the 20mph to about 32mph. I did not notice any help with the hole shot either but, no more porpoise at all at any speed after that. My wife who normally was ready to stop at 70mph rode all the way to 82mph with no problems. The boat feels like it is on rails now.
There was no speed increase. I am still at 82mph on the rev limiter with a 496 h.o. stock and a labbed 28. I think I will try a 30 but I dont know if it will pull it. I will try to take pics tonight. Install was easy and they look great.

andy01
07-23-2007, 11:28 AM
Well I posted what I was told the boat had. There were grey area's to this sale. I told the new owner that. I told him "this is the best of what we know about the boat" the father of the seller had passed away. The father was the owner. We looked into it as much as we could. I listed the boat to help the son, my friend out while he took care of other things in his life. I would have gladly posted 600hp if that is what it was. The mom and brother had been involved with the dad during the build, so they had a pretty good idea of what went on durning the build.
I can only go off of what a seller tells me. I think he got a great deal (lowest price paid yet for a Daytona) on a great boat. It ran solid and fast when I took him for a demo ride.
Badburn it was a plessure doing business with you, I'm sorry if your not happy with us. We tried to be as upfront and honest as we could be with the resources we had at the time of sale.
Andy

shippingguy
07-23-2007, 11:55 AM
Finally a weekend with no rain in Texas. I got to try the new Dana tunnel tabs. they are set at 0 degrees or flat with the bottom of the boat. This is still about a 1/4 of an inch above the bottom because of the mounting hardware. At this setting it did not help the porpiose at the 20mph to about 32mph. I did not notice any help with the hole shot either but, no more porpoise at all at any speed after that. My wife who normally was ready to stop at 70mph rode all the way to 82mph with no problems. The boat feels like it is on rails now.
There was no speed increase. I am still at 82mph on the rev limiter with a 496 h.o. stock and a labbed 28. I think I will try a 30 but I dont know if it will pull it. I will try to take pics tonight. Install was easy and they look great.
Try adjusting the tabs down about a quarter inch below the surface of the tunnels and see what that does.

MACH26
07-23-2007, 08:28 PM
I'm not saying or accussing anyone of is or isn't. Just asked a question and wondered, thats all. It seems like a legit question and surely is not aimed at the previous owner as the boat was bought through Andy and he stated what it was and had etc..
Who drove it and how fast and weather you would notice the difference is up for conjector and debate on a lot of factors.
I am just commenting on what it is as opposed to what it was advertised as and curious how a stand up guy fixes that? That was my only question.
A "STAND UP GUY" knows that he got a SMOKING deal and capitalized on a really tragic situation. 600 or 1000hp he got this boat cheap. Niether I or Andy is in the business of misleading people. Would have much rather talked to a "STAND UP GUY" on the phone about the rather than a public forum. If the new "OWNER" would like to discuss this futher my number is 714-801-4417and I'm not interested in third baseman comments. By the way, according to my brother the engine builder was not present at the dyno pulls.
Javier

BADBLOWN572
07-24-2007, 05:30 AM
I have installed several sets of the fixed Dana tunnel tabs. They make all of the difference on a boat with a high X dimension and a porpoising problem. Normall I set them dead even with the bottom of the boat. Put a straight edge on the bottom and level them out. Then adjust each turn buckle 1/2 turn down. That is where we usually started from. Most of the time, we ended up either at 1/2 - 1 full turn down on the tabs.

PLACECRAFT20
07-24-2007, 06:05 AM
Cool I will adjust mine down a turn for this weekend. You would think Dana would make them easier to adjust than having to pull the damn clips.

Badburn
07-25-2007, 07:06 AM
A "STAND UP GUY" knows that he got a SMOKING deal and capitalized on a really tragic situation. 600 or 1000hp he got this boat cheap. Niether I or Andy is in the business of misleading people. Would have much rather talked to a "STAND UP GUY" on the phone about the rather than a public forum. If the new "OWNER" would like to discuss this futher my number is 714-801-4417and I'm not interested in third baseman comments. By the way, according to my brother the engine builder was not present at the dyno pulls.
Javier
I'm not trying to badmouth anyone Javier. Tobtek asked me in a public forum if I was happy with the boat. He was involved in the sale somewhat too, So I told him. I dont think I am going to call you because I dont see what good could posibly come from it. I am very happy with the boat and what I paid for it(which was pretty close to what you were asking for it).
In the future, I would appreciate it if you would not imply that I took advantage of a tragic situation. You guys were selling a boat and I was the first serious buyer that came along with the means to buy. I am sorry about your Father and I can tell he was a hell of a guy by the comments here on hot boat and by the great job he did on the boat. I wish I had not responded to Tobtek.

Chickenlips
07-27-2007, 04:02 PM
When you want to sell your 3 inch shorty let me know.

PLACECRAFT20
07-28-2007, 04:04 PM
Damn how did yall know I had a 3" shorty? I am ajusting a quarter down and will run it againg if it ever quits raining in Texas.

PLACECRAFT20
07-28-2007, 04:04 PM
Damn how did yall know I had a 3" shorty? I am adjusting a quarter down and will run it againg if it ever quits raining in Texas.