PDA

View Full Version : Deck boat opinions...

Lavey29
07-18-2007, 08:17 AM
Hi everyone, I was wondering what your opinions are on some of the current deck boat models out there. I am looking at Magic, Conquest, Cobra and Howard as my primary choices. What are the things you like and don't like about these models such as build quality, performance and features along with customer service. Thanks in advance for the info....take care...
Marc

OutCole'd
07-18-2007, 08:21 AM
I think there all great choices, I'd talk to all of them & drive them if you can and see what boat would work best for you.
Can't go wrong with any of them.

Cole Trickle
07-18-2007, 08:25 AM
If $$$ isn't a issue I would do the Howard with the 600 Merc:)
I am also a big fan of the Ultra 26' Shadow Deck....and the numbers,options and rigging on the Trident are hard to beat.
The Conquest and Magic are great family boats and alot bigger than the previously mentioned boats.

2forcefull
07-18-2007, 08:29 AM
If $$$ isn't a issue I would do the Howard with the 600 Merc:)
I am also a big fan of the Ultra 26' Shadow Deck....and the numbers,options and rigging on the Trident are hard to beat.
The Conquest and Magic are great family boats and alot bigger than the previously mentioned boats.
yeah what he said, Howard w/600

TheCarDudes
07-18-2007, 08:56 AM
Howard :D

lalhc
07-18-2007, 09:07 AM
Those are all very nice boats. I have a Conquest and I am a very satisfied customer. You may also want to look at the new Shockwave deck boat.

Quest4Fun
07-18-2007, 09:07 AM
We love our Conquest Top Cat II. :D We looked hard at the Magic vs Conquest and decided on the Conquest because of the interior lay out mostly. The ride on our Conquest is great and we have no complaints.
Definetly do your homework, compare options and what works best for you and your family and you should do fine. I saw a Hallett Deck Boat on Sunday that looked pretty sweet too.

Jbb
07-18-2007, 09:11 AM
Trident Custom Boats!

Biglue
07-18-2007, 09:12 AM
Where's RD when you need him. :D :D

USCFAN
07-18-2007, 09:15 AM
Where's RD when you need him. :D :D
Just make sure nobody mentions the C-word.:D :D

bohica
07-18-2007, 09:18 AM
Likes - great performance, easy on/off, tons of room, lots of storage, insurance not bad
Dislikes - Wind, a lot of boat to clean.
I've owned a lot of boats and would have to say this is the family favorite so far.

riverracerx
07-18-2007, 09:36 AM
30' Magic is my fav. :D

Havasu1
07-18-2007, 09:50 AM
All great boats, I also like the 26' shadow deck. I went down and met with John and saw his opportion. Very impressed.

boatnam2
07-18-2007, 10:06 AM
I have been in 3, lavey which i own,magic and a conquest.The magic being the best looking but even my wife which knows nothing about boats questioned why it dosent ride like our lavey why it flexes and makes noise.The conquest rode nice and the lavey although a little slower and the most ugly of the 3 i would buy of the 3,it also is 30 feet long so a little bigger then some quite a bit bigger then a few i have seen.I like the howard alot never ridden in one and also i think the i could see myself in an ultra very easlily.

kap
07-18-2007, 10:56 AM
Howard No. 1.
Trident No. 2
Conquest TOPCAT II/Lavey No. 3
Boatnam wrote about the 28 Magic:
why it flexes and makes noise Absolutely dead on! The ride we experienced on a Magic scared me---as to how much the deck and sponsons undulated [flexed] and doors popping open, creaking like a wooden boat--- what a pile. I know that statement will piss off a lot of owners--- oh well it's just an opinion.
I have been on/or driven them all-- except the Trident model I was on jet powered version [not the I/O version] but it handles like a dream.
I do agree the 26 Shadow deck is also a nice boat and the latest Shockwave appears to be a serious contender but I do not have enough info on them or experience. I will get some experience on a 26 Ultra as soon as a friend picks one up in about a week.
Lavey29---give me a call about the middle of August and let's coordinate a trip to the lake Havi or Mead.
KAP

Havasu_Dreamin
07-18-2007, 11:12 AM
Howard..... (http://www.howardboats.com/boat_specs/28_sport_deck/28_sport_deck.html) Mike and Gene will do whatever it is you want and their customer service is excellent! It's also nice that the doors can close off the front so the wind tunnel effect is greatly reduced.....If you've got any question about the Howard I'll be more than happy to answer them.....Shoot me a PM or an email.....

scotco
07-18-2007, 11:14 AM
I just took delivery of a 26’ Cobra Deck. I’ve had it out twice on the lower Colorado and it’s been flawless. I’ll have it out in Havasu this weekend. I’ll let you know how that goes.:)

justfloatn
07-18-2007, 11:49 AM
#1 I really like the Howard because it looks and runs like a performance boat and not a deck boat, Like the Advantage Deck/Motorhome:yuk:, But has the deck boat options and room.
#2 Trident has a lot of cool options, the flip down ramp, walk around rear swim platform, I don't like the mile long bench down one side. I dont think setting sideways at 80MPH would be a comfortable ride. But I'd be driving so who cares right.:D I think a split console Trident would be cool and improve the styling a little
#3 The Ultra Shadow deck is cool and looks good too. Lacks the deck boat options of the Howard and Trident.

TopGun4608
07-18-2007, 02:51 PM
I am now the proud owner of a new 28' Conquest Top Cat II. This is my first deck and I cant say enough great things about it. I like the look of the magic in the water but if you test drive it... You will understand why I bought a conquest. If you decide to go with a magic see Keith at Magic. He is the best guy in the business I dont care what anyone says. He will treat you right. If you have any questions on my conquest let me know. Im in havasu every weekend. The magic is NOT a quality built boat. If you buy the conquest see Candy. Tell her or Keith Mike Sonntag sent you.
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa302/topgun4608/28CONQUEST.jpg (http://photobucket.com)

Outnumbered
07-18-2007, 02:56 PM
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa302/topgun4608/28CONQUEST.jpg

2forcefull
07-18-2007, 03:16 PM
Just make sure nobody mentions the C-word.:D :D
cheetah,lol

BajaMike
07-18-2007, 03:23 PM
Trident Custom Boats!
Ditto.....Trident!!!
Very nice!
:idea:

Keith E. Sayre
07-18-2007, 03:33 PM
I'll probably get blasted for this but while I appreciate everyones enthusiasm
for their boat or their buddies boat or for the builder that's just down their
street, there is a better way. I always chuckle a bit when the owner of a 19'
Jet boat starts telling people which 38' offshore boat is best. Heck, he may be right. but I don't want to invest $300,000 to find out. Further, I don't want to invest my money for a popularity contest either.
Go to the channel and walk up to everyone with a deckboat and ask them the same questions, take notes and pay attention to their responses. You'll find out a whole bunch very quickly. Once you get past their pride of ownership, they'll get to the real stuff that matters.
Keith Sayre
Magic Boats

Not So Fast
07-18-2007, 03:38 PM
I'll probably get blasted for this but while I appreciate everyones enthusiasm
for their boat or their buddies boat or for the builder that's just down their
street, there is a better way. I always chuckle a bit when the owner of a 19'
Jet boat starts telling people which 38' offshore boat is best. Heck, he may be right. but I don't want to invest $300,000 to find out. Further, I don't want to invest my money for a popularity contest either.
Go to the channel and walk up to everyone with a deckboat and ask them the same questions, take notes and pay attention to their responses. You'll find out a whole bunch very quickly. Once you get past their pride of ownership, they'll get to the real stuff that matters.
Keith Sayre
Magic Boats
AMEN ;) NSF

nodigg
07-18-2007, 03:39 PM
Used to want a Howard, before that a Magic, before that a Conquest, Never got into the look of the Trident, loved the SUB.......
Now I only want the Cheetah!
And AGAIN, I invested the left over cash!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/jspn_havoc2007_020.jpg
$62k! ? Brand new?
Keith makes the valid point!

Jyruiz
07-18-2007, 03:42 PM
Used to want a Howard, before that a Magic, before that a Conquest, Never got into the look of the Trident, loved the SUB.......
$62k!
I dig those new Wildcats, how do they handle the Havasu chop on a Saturday?

OutCole'd
07-18-2007, 03:43 PM
$62k!
nodigg, I love the look of that boat! Congrats!

Froggystyle
07-18-2007, 03:58 PM
To echo what Keith as said, as well as re-inforce others sentiments... write yourself a real list of what you want your boat to do... not specific features. As an example... if you want your stereo to play all day without failing, write that down... not "need a bunch of batteries". You will find there is multiple ways to skin a cat, and if you walk around with a hammer, everything will look like a nail.
Getting on and off the boat, safety, stability going over heavy chop, speed, handling, mileage, time to plane, construction quality, material quality, aesthetics, rigging competence and quality, hardware quality, durability, weight, trailer quality... all of these are strong considerations that should enter into your purchase process.
The most important aspect in my opinion is service after the sale. Find out whether or not they like their boat, but wouldn't buy one from the company again... we hear a lot of those stories. Ask questions about how they dealt with warranty work, or how they responded to concerns.
It is a buyers market right now, and some companies are racing to see who can lower the price and value of a new boat furthest. I would encourage you to find out what you get for your $85,000 vs. $100,000... but more importantly, what you don't get.
Stick your head where it doesn't belong. Put a mirror in your bag when you go shopping and check out how the boat looks behind the panels, above the bins and in the sponsons... If you can find fit and finish issues in these places, you will see one instance of where a manufacturer stopped dressing stuff up because you couldn't see it.
When you hear about squeaks and creaks... inevitably they boil down to poor construction. Those squeaks aren't coming from nowhere though, that is the sound of fiberglass joints delaminating. That is the sound of liners creaking loose, and bulkheads softening and flexing. When you hit a wave and things rattle... that isn't supposed to happen.
Above all, try to get a ride in as many as you can. Even ones that might be out of your price range. It will give you excellent leverage when negotiating with ones in your range. It will also almost certainly remove a lot of "finest rigging, best built, best materials" claims by many manufacturers.
You have heard a great short list of boats. I highly advise getting on the phone and asking a lot of questions. Let the manufacturers "educate" you and then check validity using this forum and others. Ask questions from people like Keith, and ask them from owners.
When we started building the boat, I asked everyone what they didn't like about it. Who cares what they liked... that was the easy stuff. What didn't you like? Lead off with that question and you will cut through the bullshit.
Have fun... you probably have a lot of great test rides ahead of you, and some good information for you to make a decision with.
Wes

nodigg
07-18-2007, 03:59 PM
I dig those new Wildcats, how do they handle the Havasu chop on a Saturday?
What chop? Everyone knows I loved my old 750 hours on it FastCast. This boat costs a bit more but DAMN! The ride is SOOOOOOOOOO much better!

John.
07-18-2007, 04:02 PM
#1 I really like the Howard because it looks and runs like a performance boat and not a deck boat, Like the Advantage Deck/Motorhome:yuk:, But has the deck boat options and room.
#2 Trident has a lot of cool options, the flip down ramp, walk around rear swim platform, I don't like the mile long bench down one side. I dont think setting sideways at 80MPH would be a comfortable ride. But I'd be driving so who cares right.:D I think a split console Trident would be cool and improve the styling a little
#3 The Ultra Shadow deck is cool and looks good too. Lacks the deck boat options of the Howard and Trident.
Since you're shopping too, I think that you should add a Trident to our Folsom Lake family. would be cool to see and ride in. I'd buy a Trident if I were shopping for a deckboat. looks to have top notch everything and a stand up group.

nodigg
07-18-2007, 04:03 PM
nodigg, I love the look of that boat! Congrats!
Thanks bud! I'm smiling bigger everytime I'm on the water. BTW
Me not liking the lines of the trident is NOT saying its not a great boat! I HATE the lines of the Next/Eliminator deck but its getting great revues too. Liking or not liking the way a boat is shaped is just a personal thing of course.
SOOOO many great choices out there now. Stay tuned for canopied deck boats....

hotlavey
07-18-2007, 05:17 PM
Thanks bud! I'm smiling bigger everytime I'm on the water. BTW
Me not liking the lines of the trident is NOT saying its not a great boat! I HATE the lines of the Next/Eliminator deck but its getting great revues too. Liking or not liking the way a boat is shaped is just a personal thing of course.
SOOOO many great choices out there now. Stay tuned for canopied deck boats....
I think another great choice is the Hallett 285. Great ride and fantastic quality.

2forcefull
07-18-2007, 05:19 PM
$62k! ? Brand new?
bitch'n boat, talk about bang for your buck!!!!
I was look'n at one at del taco in havasu, cool boat

kap
07-18-2007, 05:26 PM
Froggystyle wrote:
Above all, try to get a ride in as many as you can. Even ones that might be out of your price range.
Hands down the above statement is the best way to determine what works for you.
It's called:
FIELD TESTING/TRIALS by you either---- as a passenger in the boat or drive a buddys. The rougher the water the easier it is to determine quality because when it gets rough--- all the weakness/poor construction come to your attention---Real Quick!!!!
nodigg
I like the Wildcat but comparing it to a Howard or a Trident is like comparing a Camaro to a Formula One car--- not the same comparison.
If you have a buyer following the rationale of saving money you might as well sign them up for a Harris Kayot. Just kidding:D :D .
This is not to say I don't like Wildcats quite the contrary I was on the first one [informed by the owner] that came out of the mold and then followed the next week by a ride on the second wildcat both with 496's--- they do the job.
However, I don't think Lavey29 would be satisfied with a Cheetah unless he needs to fund his IRA:) .
KAP

Lavey29
07-18-2007, 05:50 PM
Wow, I just got back online and really appreciate all the good info everyone has provided. Wes, thanks for the advice and I totally agree with water testing and doing some detailed research on the positive and negative features that each model has to offer. Damn boats are so expensive now that you really have to do your homework so you are sure that you are getting the quality that you are paying for along with the performance and features. Kap, sure would be nice to see you up there when you get that rocket done and picked up. I am going to drive over there next week and check out their deck. I have been to Magic (Corona) already but need to give Keith a call for his input also. I have talked with Candy at Conquest via email but need to go to the shop next time I am up that way. I am not very familiar with Trident or Cheetah decks. The Lavey and Hallet decks are to tall to fit in my garage so they are off the list. I only have a 7' garage and my current boat clears the door by 1/4" but that is fine with me. I also talk to people about their boats when I meet them on the water which is another good way to find out if they are satisified or not. Thanks again for all the usefull comments. Kap good hearing from you and will be in touch...take care everyone :D
Marc

JB in so cal
07-18-2007, 05:54 PM
Deckboats are like ass holes: everybody has one:)

NashvilleBound
07-18-2007, 06:00 PM
Good Luck Marc.... Do take the advice of testing ALL of them. Doesn't matter if they are in your price range or not..... Educate yourself before buying....
Jeff

TCHB
07-18-2007, 06:34 PM
1. Howard (higher sides and looks more like a sport boat)
2. E Ticket (big boat rides nice)
3. Magic 30 (big boat rides sold and nice)
The 28ft boats (most) are really not 28s if you look at the swim step and entry. They are rough in bumpy water (Saturday afternoons Havasu).
My Opionion
I rode in a Magic 28, Conquest 28 and ETicket. The E ticket was a Benz 4 times over compared to the Magic 28 or Conquest 28. The E Ticket ate up the 3ft chop while the other two bounced all over and even took water over the sides in the front.

kap
07-18-2007, 06:44 PM
Marc
I don't think they know what a nice ride you currently have it is pretty awesome ride. You definitely need an upgrade A++ ride if your going to a deckboat.
I will definitely, give you a call in about 3-4 weeks when it is done. Plus, you can then bring your Lavey down to San Diego and I will talk Wes into coming out for a ride out to the islands in your 29.
Don't worry I'll see about getting a crane over at the Yacht club so you don't have to put your trailer in the salt :D . Using the crane to launch the boat makes you feel like a rockstar baller etc...
KAP

duner21
07-18-2007, 06:46 PM
I have a new conquest top cat II also. I love it but i came from a 25ft nordic. There are alot of nice boats out there look around at what you like. I really liked the way the conquest was layed out. Plus i wanted a boat built where i boated all of the time. My family loves it and feels very safe also. If you ever want a ride please ask. I would be more than happy to show you the boat. Good luck in your search!

Phat Matt
07-18-2007, 06:50 PM
Magic Deckboats are like ass holes: everybody has one:)
I fixed it for ya. :D

Phat Matt
07-18-2007, 06:51 PM
My Opionion
I rode in a Magic 28, Conquest 28 and ETicket. The E ticket was a Benz 4 times over compared to the Magic 28 or Conquest 28. The E Ticket ate up the 3ft chop while the other two bounced all over and even took water over the sides in the front.
That's a true statement. I smile when I see the white caps. :D

Lavey29
07-18-2007, 07:08 PM
Marc
I don't think they know what a nice ride you currently have it is pretty awesome ride. You definitely need an upgrade A++ ride if your going to a deckboat.
I will definitely, give you a call in about 3-4 weeks when it is done. Plus, you can then bring your Lavey down to San Diego and I will talk Wes into coming out for a ride out to the islands in your 29.
Don't worry I'll see about getting a crane over at the Yacht club so you don't have to put your trailer in the salt :D . Using the crane to launch the boat makes you feel like a rockstar baller etc...
KAP
Kap,
Maybe they could drop it for me after I increase the coverage :idea: . Hey when you pick yours up, maybe you could swing by my house on the way back to SD and see if that beauty fits in my garage. That is a key factor in my purchase research. I am right off the 210 a few miles west of the 15. I can' wait to see yours run with that motor. I am going to try and see Gene on Monday to check out their deck. I will email you an update and some digital pics if you want of the progress...thanks
Marc

Lavey29
07-18-2007, 07:10 PM
I have a new conquest top cat II also. I love it but i came from a 25ft nordic. There are alot of nice boats out there look around at what you like. I really liked the way the conquest was layed out. Plus i wanted a boat built where i boated all of the time. My family loves it and feels very safe also. If you ever want a ride please ask. I would be more than happy to show you the boat. Good luck in your search!
Thanks for the offer. I like the layout and look of the Conquest also. I need to get to their shop and look at some builds in progress and see what they use in their construction. Candy has been very responsive to email questions up there...

Lavey29
07-18-2007, 07:11 PM
That's a true statement. I smile when I see the white caps. :D
I think E tickets are top of the line deck boats with great qualities and features. Just to big for my garage and my wallet :D

Phat Matt
07-18-2007, 07:14 PM
I think E tickets are top of the line deck boats with great qualities and features. Just to big for my garage and my wallet :D
Yeah, they aren't exactly small on the trailer. :)
http://www.eticketboats.com/Luxury_Cat/2005_gallery3/images/2005_19.jpg

kap
07-18-2007, 07:17 PM
That is some funny shiz nit.
I know we diced it up a bit previously---but you have a nice ride---I believe the bro's at RareK did the graphics on your boat saw photos of it when I consulted them.
E-Ticket has been getting some great reviews. I'd sure like to take a spin in a twin engine model down to Cattail and back to the no wake buoys :D :D . I have the gas card and not afraid to use it:D :D .
Marc you can order a low boy trailer from Ellis/Livingston, even Extreme so don't be limited by the trailer or just blow out the header in your garage and put a 8footer in with new door 5k.
KAP
P.S. Yes absolutely take some photos you can't miss it in the shop. That would be most kind I believe it is being buffed and color sanded.

TCHB
07-18-2007, 07:22 PM
I would hate to spend $100 plus Grand and not be happy with the ride. They all look good but the ride is very important if your on Havasu Saturday.

nodigg
07-18-2007, 07:26 PM
B]nodigg[/B]
I like the Wildcat but comparing it to a Howard or a Trident is like comparing a Camaro to a Formula One car--- not the same comparison.
If you have a buyer following the rationale of saving money you might as well sign them up for a Harris Kayot. Just kidding:D :D .
This is not to say I don't like Wildcats quite the contrary I was on the first one [informed by the owner] that came out of the mold and then followed the next week by a ride on the second wildcat both with 496's--- they do the job.
However, I don't think Lavey29 would be satisfied with a Cheetah unless he needs to fund his IRA:) .
KAP
Hey, we are all subject to the Corvette, Farrari argument all the time. I'm not afraid to face facts. The Vette will never be thought of the same as an "Exotic" but Corvette kicks ARSE on all the WAAAYYY expensive Italian/German status symbols. Doesn't mean I wouldn't like to have a status symbol in my garage. I'd park it right along side the daily driver vette and show everyone I owned an over priced legend as well. So are you saying its not smart to get the most bang for your buck? That if you have too much money you should not value your purchase decisions? I gotta say, I admire those that can sell the higher priced widgets. Kudos on the sales savy. Is the widget cost justified or simply icon justified? Does it really matter? All that matters is that the buyer is satisfied. Not satisfied with Cheetah? Hmmmm, guess I'll have to figure that one out........
(GAWD I love the status arguments) :)

Phat Matt
07-18-2007, 07:26 PM
That is some funny shiz nit.
I know we diced it up a bit previously---but you have a nice ride---I believe the bro's at RareK did the graphics on your boat.
E-Ticket has been getting some great reviews. I'd sure like to take a spin in a twin engine model down to Cattail and back to the no wake buoys :D :D . I have the gas card and not afraid to use it:D :D .
KAP
It's all good. Russ hooked me up on the graphics. Him and his bro Ray are great guys. We met years ago on the way to the river. We had both just picked up our Commanders. :) I just saw Russ last week.
When ever I am out at Havasu you are welcome to jump on. We are getting ready to take a little camping trip but we are usually out a couple times per month at least. Let me know.
Matt

Froggystyle
07-18-2007, 07:27 PM
I'd sure like to take a spin in a twin engine model down to Cattail and back to the no wake buoys :D :D . I have the gas card and not afraid to use it:D :D .
You can ride down there with Matt, and back with me. We can wait for Matt at the buoy line... ;) At 2.67 miles per gallon at 80 miles per hour, you can hang on to the gas card... it's on me. :D It takes us 6 gallons of gas to get to Thompson Bay from Havasu Springs.

Keith E. Sayre
07-18-2007, 07:27 PM
Wow this thread has stayed constructive which is unusual!
Great advice from all especially Wes Inskeep.
TCPB: Tony: yes I changed your H to a p for pontoon boat. sorry. it's not really fair to compare the E ticket
with twin engines and twin engine price tag to a Conquest
or Howard or Magic. If we go that route, let's compare it
to the 30 Magic or 34 Advantage. Compared to them, the
E ticket wouldn't fare so well. Although the Et icket is
a wonderful boat designed and tooled by Conquests
Scott Kornowski, it's kind of a stretch to compare them.
Wes: Great advice. and frankly, if I had $150,000 or so
to spend, I'd be a Trident customer in a minute. Except
we'd have to stick something under the hatch that
surges in a big way when trying to idle!
Phat Matt: Great sound system.
Also, look out for the new 32' deckboat coming from
Scott Kornowskis corner at Conquest. I'll bet that its
a winner!
Keith Sayre
Magic Boats

Phat Matt
07-18-2007, 07:33 PM
You can ride down there with Matt, and back with me. We can wait for Matt at the buoy line... ;) At 2.67 miles per gallon at 80 miles per hour, you can hang on to the gas card... it's on me. :D It takes us 6 gallons of gas to get to Thompson Bay from Havasu Springs.
I'll bring a tow rope for you just in case. ;) lol

nodigg
07-18-2007, 07:34 PM
Someday I am gonna get a ride in Matt's boat!:mad:

Havasu_Dreamin
07-18-2007, 07:34 PM
I would hate to spend $100 plus Grand and not be happy with the ride. They all look good but the ride is very important if your on Havasu Saturday.
Love our Howard on choppy Saturday afternoons.....way better than the deep v we had previously.....

BajaMike
07-18-2007, 07:38 PM
[QUOTE=Phat Matt;2680847]Yeah, they aren't exactly small on the trailer. :)
http://www.eticketboats.com/Luxury_Cat/2005_gallery3/images/2005_19.jpg[/QUOTE
Nice big beautiful boat and good looking crew.....:D

Phat Matt
07-18-2007, 07:39 PM
Someday I am gonna get a ride in Matt's boat!:mad:
You were on it the first weekend I got it. You might have been drinking a little that day though. :D
Next time we are out jump on with us and you and Jen can drink the day away. :D

Phat Matt
07-18-2007, 07:40 PM
Nice big beautiful boat and good looking crew.....:D
I don't know about crew, but Jen looks good. :D

duner21
07-18-2007, 07:46 PM
Love our Howard on choppy Saturday afternoons.....way better than the deep v we had previously.....
I say the same thing about my boat. I cant see how any 28 deck would not handle the sat havasu chop just fine. Lots of great choices in the market today.

Havasu_Dreamin
07-18-2007, 07:48 PM
Lots of great choices in the market today.
Absolutely! Ultimately, it all comes down to, as it does with every boat, personal choice based on looks, quality of construction as they all aint built the same, and what the owner wants.....

nodigg
07-18-2007, 07:53 PM
You were on it the first weekend I got it. You might have been drinking a little that day though. :D
Yeah, but I remember ONLY because there was a picture LOL! I have drank to excess on your boat but can't remember a ride yet.
Thanks for the offer. Until last Friday on Tom's boat it had been a LONG time since I was a drinker and not a driver.
Mike, you MUST be reffering to Jen as the crew??:idea: :D

Goldilocks
07-18-2007, 07:58 PM
Sweet. I would love to drink the day away with Rick :)

Goldilocks
07-18-2007, 08:00 PM
I don't know about crew, but Jen looks good. :D
It's been a while since I have heard that ;)

nodigg
07-18-2007, 08:02 PM
Sweet. I would love to drink the day away with Rick :)
:( only the day?:( ;) Guess I shoulda' left mine tied at the dock...
http://rivertoys.com/dam_run_07/images/IMGP2514.jpg

TCHB
07-18-2007, 08:06 PM
Everyone should drive the boat on a Saturday afternoon at Havasu in wash chop and you will get the real picture of boats true performance. Does it hit hard, storage doors fly open, water over the front, have to back off at 4O mph because you know it is going to hit like a rock.
Smooth water is not the way you should ever test a boat.
Kieth I have not seen you lately!!!!!!!!!!

Dog Pen
07-18-2007, 08:07 PM
I love my Lavey.

kap
07-18-2007, 08:20 PM
Ahh Wes---you just couldn't help that speed dig there on Matt. Hey the gas card issue is real last weekend all we heard was the ding ding ding on the gas pump$$$$$$$.
I would love to take a ride out to the pond----Wes just give me a call or post if you want a wingman next time you do a turn around to Havasu or launch at Ski beach--- by the way Shelter Island is quicker if you want open water real quick so let's take one out:) :) .
I will come by the shop maybe on Friday AM to check out the skunk works projects aka covert models.
Great offer!!! Matt thank you kindly. I will definitely take you up on that--- it would be a pleasure as we are on the water virtually every weekend. What twin motors do you have 496?? 525??
The boat looks HUGE on the trailer the front sponsons look very Skater-esque [yea I made that word up] seems from the photo that Havasu would be a breeze for that boat in any condition.
In the twin engine department I recently drove a twin engine X-80 Mastercraft with twin 330 Crusaders in it he bought it for the saltwater-- wakeboard nut--- what a dream I could spin it on a dime and enough torque to pull a house off the foundation. I know different beast but the twin engine aspect of a little more on the starboard while turning to port wow. It would take some skill and seat time to get used to twin engine combo in any configuration deck or otherwise.
Hope to meet up and go for a ride in any case.
KAP
P.S. Very informative thread great contributions from all the members.

Lavey29
07-18-2007, 08:39 PM
I agree Kap, very good info and input from everyone in this thread. As I have stated previously, I am always amazed at the level of knowledge and expertise people on this website have in various areas. It is great that they are always willing to share their opinions...now if I can find an extra 125K or more then I will be set...gonna have to get mama a longer paper route job I think... :idea:

Goldilocks
07-18-2007, 09:04 PM
:( only the day?:( ;) Guess I shoulda' left mine tied at the dock...
That is an awesome picture :)
We can drink the night away too if you want :)

Phat Matt
07-18-2007, 09:06 PM
Ahh Wes---you just couldn't help that speed dig there on Matt. Hey the gas card issue is real last weekend all we heard was the ding ding ding on the gas pump$$$$$$$.
I would love to take a ride out to the pond----Wes just give me a call or post if you want a wingman next time you do a turn around to Havasu or launch at Ski beach--- by the way Shelter Island is quicker if you want open water real quick so let's take one out:) :) .
I will come by the shop maybe on Friday AM to check out the skunk works projects aka covert models.
Great offer!!! Matt thank you kindly. I will definitely take you up on that--- it would be a pleasure as we are on the water virtually every weekend. What twin motors do you have 496?? 525??
The boat looks HUGE on the trailer the front sponsons look very Skater-esque [yea I made that word up] seems from the photo that Havasu would be a breeze for that boat in any condition.
In the twin engine department I recently drove a twin engine X-80 Mastercraft with twin 330 Crusaders in it he bought it for the saltwater-- wakeboard nut--- what a dream I could spin it on a dime and enough torque to pull a house off the foundation. I know different beast but the twin engine aspect of a little more on the starboard while turning to port wow. It would take some skill and seat time to get used to twin engine combo in any configuration deck or otherwise.
Hope to meet up and go for a ride in any case.
KAP
P.S. Very informative thread great contributions from all the members.
I can take Wes' jabs all day. That's what friends do, talk shit. :)
I have the 496's. I think all the ballers after me got the 525's. :D Twins are the shit. I don't think I could ever go back to a single screw. Squeezing in to tight places are a breeze with the twins.
You are right about the sponsons, they are very deep. That is why I like the rough stuff. :D

dicudmore
07-18-2007, 09:09 PM
Everyone should drive the boat on a Saturday afternoon at Havasu in wash chop and you will get the real picture of boats true performance. Does it hit hard, storage doors fly open, water over the front, have to back off at 4O mph because you know it is going to hit like a rock.
I know I sure hate it when I have to slow down to 95 for that "dream-catcher" wake :D

Lavey29
07-18-2007, 09:53 PM
That's true Bob. I love my Lavey, the ride, performance and build quality are top of the line but after a few seasons with it and the type of boating I do with the family and all the kids toys etc...Decks just seem to make more practical sense at this time. I still need some good performance and speed though. I had 2 Daytonas before the Lavey so the need for speed is still there along with ride quality in various conditions. I just cruise with the family on board but by myself or with a buddy, I like to really run it and hear that blower whine :D

bunny 166
07-18-2007, 10:12 PM
We love our Conquest--it has been a total blast for our family....We have been in Matt and Jen's boat--It handles like a dream and is so beautiful!! :) Good luck with your search--if you're up river anytime, just PM...We'll be happy to give you a ride...;)

vmjtc3
07-18-2007, 10:15 PM
We love our Conquest--it has been a total blast for our family....We have been in Matt and Jen's boat--It handles like a dream and is so beautiful!! :) Good luck with your search--if you're up river anyime, just PM...We'll be happy to give you a ride...;)
fyi your avatar freaks me out:eek:

bunny 166
07-18-2007, 10:17 PM
fyi your avatar freaks me out:eek:
LOL....Alot of people are scared of the Exorcist chickie....I'm changing it to a lil' bunny for a while...:D

vmjtc3
07-18-2007, 10:19 PM
LOL....Alot of people are scared of the Exorcist chickie....I'm changing it to a lil' bunny for a while...:D
I feel better already :D

Lavey29
07-19-2007, 12:48 AM
I gotta say that I just spent an hour on the Trident website and was very impressed with their boat design and features. I did not know much about it previoulsy but after reading about it and looking at the pics, they have some great innovative ideas for a deck boat design and function. I am gonna have to make a trip down south and check them out in person along with the other ones we have talked about on here. I also have heard via email that E Ticket is coming out with a single engine 26 deck that I want to find out more about also. Looks like my list of potential new boats is growing and will take some serious detailed research and water test to narrow it back down again.

Lavey29
07-19-2007, 12:59 AM
We love our Conquest--it has been a total blast for our family....We have been in Matt and Jen's boat--It handles like a dream and is so beautiful!! :) Good luck with your search--if you're up river anytime, just PM...We'll be happy to give you a ride...;)
I'd love any boat with a bunny on it :D Thanks for the info on yours and the ride offer...I am going to stop in there during my August trip hopefully...

havasu5150
07-19-2007, 05:05 AM
I am also very pleased with my 06 Conquest Top Cat II. Handles chop well, I have no creaks and rattles or cabinets flying open that have been mentioned here. The boat is extremely easy to drive at all speeds. Tons of storage, comfortable ride, excellent fit and finish.
Like many have said, do the test rides, tour the facilities. Many excellent boats out there

2forcefull
07-19-2007, 05:29 AM
WOW!!, a very productive, positive thread!!!

phebus
07-19-2007, 05:42 AM
It seems like this thread is moving towards the ride quality of a deck boat, and yes, it is very important, but in reality the interior is of greater importance. That is the very reason for going to a deck boat. The roominess, the comfort and the built in features are what they are all about.

mxbundy
07-19-2007, 05:56 AM
$62k! ? Brand new?
Was looking at their website. Boat looks impressive for what you get!
Especially like the full inner liner.
But the pricing is a little confusing.
They list it as $62500 with a 377 merc. I have never heard of a 377, whats the skinny on this engine?
Also its a $10,000 swing between a 496 mag and a HO, seems a little high. Especially when on their other boats the same upgrade is between $3000 and $4000.
Is that your boat Nodig?

sigepmock
07-19-2007, 06:04 AM
Sent you a pm but I'll echo some of the same sentiments here. We looked at a lot of deck boats a year and a half ago and I'll say the Howard, the Trident, the Magic are all great boats each with it's outstanding features...but I have to say after seeing the 26 deck boats coming out of Ultra right now, on top of their amazing customer service, I think you definitely need to talk with John West before you make any decisions. Now I know I may seem a little biased :D but honestly I'll give props to all the boats you've mentioned ...but I am simply blown away by the quality and innovation that's coming out in the Ultra decks. A ton of functionality and performance for a great price.
Just my $.02,
Chris

duner21
07-19-2007, 06:48 AM
It seems like this thread is moving towards the ride quality of a deck boat, and yes, it is very important, but in reality the interior is of greater importance. That is the very reason for going to a deck boat. The roominess, the comfort and the built in features are what they are all about.
This is a great statement. Everyone has different needs or taste. I wish i had enough dough to own mulitiple boats then there would be no problem picking one out! :D

kap
07-19-2007, 07:00 AM
PHEBUS:
Comfort, room for 15, and huge awning HMMMMMM :idea: .
Seems thats exactly what a tooner would say:D :D :D .
I know my father/law has a 30ft Bennington with V-8/Bravo3 he says the same thing :eek: .
Seriously, you are right the interior is very important especially when hauling kids, friends and family around.
KAP

OutCole'd
07-19-2007, 07:02 AM
Thanks!!:)

SoCal Builder
07-19-2007, 07:13 AM
I just picked up my new Howard Sportdeck a few weeks ago and couldn't be happier. Ultimately, my decision to go with the Howard came down to what I felt was the best combination of looks, functionality and build quality. The E-Ticket looks like a fantastic boat but wasn't an option for me due to not having a rear walk through for the kids. The Conquest is a well built boat but I felt that its lines are a little dated. The Magic looks great but there is too many of them out there and I think their emphasis on production hurts their build quality. I am a former Lavey owner and loved their build quality but couldn't get comfortable with the looks of the boat. Same can be said for the Hallet. As has been already said here, there are lots of great options, you just have to determine what is important to you and what you're willing to spend to get it. I can tell you that going to a deck boat with a young family has made boating a whole lot more enjoyable! Good luck.

Havasu1
07-19-2007, 07:27 AM
This is a very true statement. Test ride on a Saturday only. You want to know how it performs on the bad conditions. Let's face it. Most performance boats run great in flat conditions.

2forcefull
07-19-2007, 08:39 AM
They list it as $62500 with a 377 merc. I have never heard of a 377, whats the skinny on this engine?
Also its a $10,000 swing between a 496 mag and a HO, seems a little high. Especially when on their other boats the same upgrade is between $3000 and $4000.
Is that your boat Nodig?
the 377 is a stroked 350=6.2

kap
07-19-2007, 08:45 AM
I believe the 377 is the HP Small Block by Mercury aka the Scorpion motor.
I do not believe they are still in production but I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.
KAP

Havasu_Dreamin
07-19-2007, 08:51 AM
I believe the 377 is the HP Small Block by Mercury aka the Scorpion motor.
I do not believe they are still in production but I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.
KAP
Looks like Mercury (http://www.mercurymarine.com/engines/inboards/towsports/) still makes it for what they call the towsports inboard crowd.....

phebus
07-19-2007, 09:14 AM
Almost every manufacturer has a deckboat in their line, so what you are going to have to do is make a list of what you want in a deckboat (i.e., Style, speed, seating, access/egress, ride quality, price, etc). Then, what you need to do is priortize the list. Then, hopefully you can narrow it down to the top five, and test from there.
Also, keep in mind the type of boating you do. Most people sit at least 80% of the time, so keep that in mind as you priortize your list. In my opinion, a deckboat is the best type of boat for Havasu.
Good luck

2forcefull
07-19-2007, 09:30 AM
Looks like Mercury (http://www.mercurymarine.com/engines/inboards/towsports/) still makes it for what they call the towsports inboard crowd.....
it's not the scorpion, its the mx 6.2 320hp

Havasu_Dreamin
07-19-2007, 09:39 AM
it's not the scorpion, its the mx 6.2 320hp
Mercury 6.2 Black Scorpion (http://www.mercurymarine.com/engines/inboards/towsports/mx6-2blackscorpion.php)

Big Inch
07-19-2007, 09:49 AM
Almost every manufacturer has a deckboat in their line, so what you are going to have to do is make a list of what you want in a deckboat (i.e., Style, speed, seating, access/egress, ride quality, price, etc). Then, what you need to do is priortize the list. Then, hopefully you can narrow it down to the top five, and test from there.
Also, keep in mind the type of boating you do. Most people sit at least 80% of the time, so keep that in mind as you priortize your list. In my opinion, a deckboat is the best type of boat for Havasu.
Good luck
Your giving me some gnarly flashbacks of when we were trying to decide on our last boat. Hope it doesn't lead to nightmares. Boat builders should give you a credit for all documented expenses you incurred while doing research ;) ;)

2forcefull
07-19-2007, 09:51 AM
Mercury 6.2 Black Scorpion (http://www.mercurymarine.com/engines/inboards/towsports/mx6-2blackscorpion.php)
yeah, I believe you! but, cheetah uses the MX 6.2 320 hp
look at stearn drive engines and you will see the 6.2 377 ci 320hp

Froggystyle
07-19-2007, 09:56 AM
Your giving me some gnarly flashbacks of when we were trying to decide on our last boat. Hope it doesn't lead to nightmares. Boat builders should give you a credit for all documented expenses you incurred while doing research ;) ;)
Bring me your documented expenses... we can talk about it... :D

Jyruiz
07-19-2007, 10:00 AM
Our deckboat decision wont be that hard, cause it has to be one that fits in a 7' garage.:D

Froggystyle
07-19-2007, 10:01 AM
Our deckboat decision wont be that hard, cause it has to be one that fits in a 7' garage.:D
Done...
Froggy<-------- problem solving today :D

2forcefull
07-19-2007, 10:02 AM
tall, or long?

Jyruiz
07-19-2007, 10:08 AM
Done...
Froggy<-------- problem solving today :D
If it were only that easy.:D

Jyruiz
07-19-2007, 10:08 AM
tall, or long?
Tall.

LHC30Victory
07-19-2007, 10:11 AM
Well, lets see now....I have owned five boats in the past 15 years and each one was a learning experience. As I learned, I researched what worked and what didnt for me and my family. Can I deduct those expenses?:idea: :eek:
J/K :D :D

Big Inch
07-19-2007, 10:13 AM
Froggy, thanks for the offer but you are a few years too late. Btw I didn't know who you were since I am fairly new to the forum so I looked at your profile. I think you should add blowers in bikinis to your list of interests as well. Unless you are opposed to these things ;) ;)

Big Inch
07-19-2007, 10:21 AM
Since we're on the topic of interesting credits from boat builders, I'll share one I got.
I ordered a boat, gave them my deposit, waited several months in line for it to be started, got impatient of not getting my calls returned so drove down there to find out they had closed their doors and kept my money. Wait I thought I was supposed to get the credit :idea:

dicudmore
07-19-2007, 11:04 AM
Since we're on the topic of interesting credits from boat builders, I'll share one I got.
I ordered a boat, gave them my deposit, waited several months in line for it to be started, got impatient of not getting my calls returned so drove down there to find out they had closed their doors and kept my money. Wait I thought I was supposed to get the credit :idea:
details please...
sorry about your luck, that sucks :(

Havasu_Dreamin
07-19-2007, 11:41 AM
That sucks.....Unfortnately that is the downside of going with some of these fly-by-night or undercapitalized builders.....

Big Inch
07-19-2007, 11:45 AM
details please...
sorry about your luck, that sucks :(
I can sum it up in one word. Virage Performance Boats. Ok 3 words but who's counting.

Jyruiz
07-19-2007, 11:47 AM
I can sum it up in one word. Virage Performance Boats. Ok 3 words but who's counting.
That sucks.

Big Inch
07-19-2007, 12:00 PM
That sucks.
Surprisingly, it actually worked out and possibly in my favor. Never got my money back but I did my boat out of it. Turns out their was someone with integrity in that company. He, Jody Gamble, was still in the boating business last time we spoke. If I remember correctly he is or was one of the owners of a company who makes a very nice deck boat, Conquest boats. If you go by there to see them and are in the mood for a good story, ask for him and mention this to him. He's a good guy and rigs one hell of a boat.

nodigg
07-19-2007, 12:10 PM
Is that your boat Nodig?
Yup, my boat, looks like all your other questions got answered. If I remember right, 72k gets you the HO, the bimini, stereo and choice of gel, balsa cored hull alid up by Lynch who does E-ticket, Dominator, Cheetah....can't remember the others..VERY fast hull, smooth ride, good flight caracteristics, built in stand up cooler, full inner liner, two axle extreme trailer...what I am over looking....:idea: billet seat base.......15 people on board with no hull/handling complaints......

nodigg
07-19-2007, 12:20 PM
That is an awesome picture :)
We can drink the night away too if you want :)
I'm not sure I can still "hang" all night but I'd sure start out with yas'
Looks like "Suck My Deck" is about to have "No Doubt Again" for dinner....:D

Jyruiz
07-19-2007, 12:50 PM
Surprisingly, it actually worked out and possibly in my favor. Never got my money back but I did my boat out of it. Turns out their was someone with integrity in that company. He, Jody Gamble, was still in the boating business last time we spoke. If I remember correctly he is or was one of the owners of a company who makes a very nice deck boat, Conquest boats. If you go by there to see them and are in the mood for a good story, ask for him and mention this to him. He's a good guy and rigs one hell of a boat.
Glad it worked out for you.

pw_Tony
07-19-2007, 01:02 PM
GET a HURRICANE
:D :D :D

Jyruiz
07-19-2007, 01:20 PM
Yup, my boat, looks like all your other questions got answered. If I remember right, 72k gets you the HO, the bimini, stereo and choice of gel, balsa cored hull alid up by Lynch who does E-ticket, Dominator, Cheetah....can't remember the others..VERY fast hull, smooth ride, good flight caracteristics, built in stand up cooler, full inner liner, two axle extreme trailer...what I am over looking....:idea: billet seat base.......15 people on board with no hull/handling complaints......
I was just at the Cheetah website and priced out a Wildcat,
496mag, non HO
Dual Batteries
Aqua Step
Front Shower
Electric hatch
Total = 68,950 not including tax or license.
Not bad at all, but I wish he would post what the standard features are. The HO would be nice, but it starts at 76,500 compare to 67,500 for the Mag non HO.

It's all Good
07-19-2007, 02:16 PM
I was just at the Cheetah website and priced out a Wildcat,
The HO would be nice, but it starts at 76,500 compare to 67,500 for the Mag non HO.
I think the HO price is a typo. Looking at their other boat prices with a HO, it is only a $3,000 upgrade. Probably supposed to be $70,500. As TPC would say, "DAMIFINO."
Also, I think those options you want on the 26' are standard, no charge.

Mattman
07-19-2007, 02:25 PM
What's the web address??

Jyruiz
07-19-2007, 02:26 PM
What's the web address??
http://www.cheetahboats.net/

Strippoker
07-19-2007, 03:12 PM
ok MY 2cents
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/web9.jpg
oh yeah and I have one you can have right away!

Lavey29
07-19-2007, 06:24 PM
Nice gel colors on that deck Strip,,,looks great

Pussywhippled
07-19-2007, 06:27 PM
Cut your lavey with a sawzall and make it a 29' whaler center console deckboat and keep your power.
Done deal...

Lavey29
07-19-2007, 08:43 PM
all I got is a screwdriver, pliers and a bottle opener in my tool box and I really only use one of those tools on a daily basis... :idea:

hkunz
07-19-2007, 08:52 PM
We've also been shopping for a deck boat - just getting tired of being beat up in our 23' Cheetah. It'll do 60 on the river with the 6.2, but it does take it a bit to get there. My wife's knees aren't what they used to be either, so the front entrance when stepping on and off the dock is a major point.
Our faves at this point -
Magic, but they are the Camry of Havasu, everyone seems to have one. 26 feet in the water. Wife loves it.
Cheetah - 90 MPH for under a hundred grand, but the main passenger sits sideways - 26 feet in the water.
Conquest TopCat II - side by side seating, but having the trailer as an "extra cost option" is such an almost unethical way to price the boat that we are no longer interested (what else aren't they telling you?)
Domin8or 25', very nice graphics, don't add swim step to get nominal boat size. Passenger sits sideways. More expensive than Cheetah, less than Advantage or Magic.
Advantage X-Flight 29. Fell in love at first sight, haven't driven it yet. Solid boat, built in Havasu. New hull design is untested by the consumers over the long haul, so we'd have to be Early Adopters. We are.
We test drove a used '07 Commander with the 496 HO. It wouldn't get out of its own way - gorgeous boat, but 45 MPH max speed was not for me. The rattles in semi-rough water made me feel it was coming apart. Looked great on the trailer.
The Howard is a great looking boat with lots of features, but the front swim step/sponson plate doesn't go all the way to the front of the boat, so my wife would not be able to step from the boat to the dock. Too bad, probably the best build quality of any of the above boats, and I've been in the plants of all boats listed except Commander.
This is a great thread, by the way.
After we pick the boat, then we have to pick the motor - 525 or 600 SCi?

Pussywhippled
07-19-2007, 08:57 PM
We've also been shopping for a deck boat - just getting tired of being beat up in our 23' Cheetah. It'll do 60 on the river with the 6.2, but it does take it a bit to get there. My wife's knees aren't what they used to be either, so the front entrance when stepping on and off the dock is a major point.
Magic, but they are the Camry of Havasu, everyone seems to have one. 26 feet in the water. Wife loves it.
Cheetah - 90 MPH for under a hundred grand, but the main passenger sits sideways - 26 feet in the water.
Conquest TopCat II - side by side seating, but having the trailer as an "extra cost option" is such an almost unethical way to price the boat that we are no longer interested (what else aren't they telling you?)
Domin8or 25', very nice graphics, don't add swim step to get nominal boat size. Passenger sits sideways. More expensive than Cheetah, less than Advantage or Magic.
Advantage X-Flight 29. Fell in love at first sight, haven't driven it yet. Solid boat, built in Havasu. New hull design is untested by the consumers over the long haul, so we'd have to be Early Adopters. We are.
We test drove a used '07 Commander with the 496 HO. It wouldn't get out of its own way - gorgeous boat, but 45 MPH max speed was not for me. The rattles in semi-rough water made me feel it was coming apart. Looked great on the trailer.
The Howard is a great looking boat with lots of features, but the front swim step/sponson plate doesn't go all the way to the front of the boat, so my wife would not be able to step from the boat to the dock. Too bad, probably the best build quality of any of the above boats, and I've been in the plants of all boats listed except Commander.
So it sounds like the Trident is for you...

robking65
07-19-2007, 10:28 PM
When it comes to deck boats. Now you can look at styling as well as performance. Some manufacturers stick with the old styling, while others tend to look for a a more current look. (I.E. car design level styling). Why would you want a boat that looks like it was built 30 years ago with a piece of ply wood wraped in fiberglass when you can actually get something that looks cool these days. Now you can look at a boat and tell who makes it with the body design, instead of having the some thing from one manufacurer to another. They all come with the same motors drives, billit, etc, but now the body can stand alone giving character to your own spacific needs and desires. This shows independance in a person just like cars that they choose to drive. Does a BMW driver like a Mercedes or a Lexas? Maybe, but atleast they dont look the same. So why should boats look the same? Design is an element that can give individuality to a manufacturer as well as a hirearchy of manufacturing. What I mean by this is: We look at Mercedes Benz and BMW as top end cars and ford GM and Chrysler as medium cars. Just Like we look at Eliminator and DCB as high end boats Then its a personal preferance who gets put into the other catagories. Also aero dynamics are also being implimented into boat design (like cars) giving the aero dynamic nightmare deckboats, some advantage over their blocky competition. Hopefuly we can now pic out a boat design based on look and performance. instead of the same old thing from one manufacturer to another, except for a different badge. Good luck in your search but look at your spacific needs for what you want to do on the water first. Then look at build quality as well as performance before you choose a manufacturer to buy from. Why buy a Kia when you can get a Ferrari for the same price.

fatboy95
07-20-2007, 06:26 AM
The name on the Advantage "X Flight" makes it sound like a Mastercraft. It's a stepped V hull which they say makes the ride better especially for the Havasu folks. I have never heard anyone comment on an Advantage.

Froggystyle
07-20-2007, 08:27 AM
Looks like "Suck My Deck" is about to have "No Doubt Again" for dinner....:D
Or about to hump it... :D :D

Phat Matt
07-20-2007, 08:32 AM
Or about to hump it... :D :D
I told Rick I would share my slip with him, but his boat had to put out. :)

hkunz
07-20-2007, 08:45 AM
OK, where's the Trident? Is it a single engine custom deck boat between 100 and 150K out the door?

hkunz
07-20-2007, 08:47 AM
Doh, found it on Froggystyle's page. Hey, is there a special retired Navy discount?

Froggystyle
07-20-2007, 11:30 AM
Doh, found it on Froggystyle's page. Hey, is there a special retired Navy discount?
Yes... :D You have to show proof of service with your Tazmanian Devil holding a beer tattoo though... ;)

smoker
07-20-2007, 04:04 PM
When it comes to deck boats. Now you can look at styling as well as performance. Some manufacturers stick with the old styling, while others tend to look for a a more current look. (I.E. car design level styling). Why would you want a boat that looks like it was built 30 years ago with a piece of ply wood wraped in fiberglass when you can actually get something that looks cool these days. Now you can look at a boat and tell who makes it with the body design, instead of having the some thing from one manufacurer to another. They all come with the same motors drives, billit, etc, but now the body can stand alone giving character to your own spacific needs and desires. This shows independance in a person just like cars that they choose to drive. Does a BMW driver like a Mercedes or a Lexas? Maybe, but atleast they dont look the same. So why should boats look the same? Design is an element that can give individuality to a manufacturer as well as a hirearchy of manufacturing. What I mean by this is: We look at Mercedes Benz and BMW as top end cars and ford GM and Chrysler as medium cars. Just Like we look at Eliminator and DCB as high end boats Then its a personal preferance who gets put into the other catagories. Also aero dynamics are also being implimented into boat design (like cars) giving the aero dynamic nightmare deckboats, some advantage over their blocky competition. Hopefuly we can now pic out a boat design based on look and performance. instead of the same old thing from one manufacturer to another, except for a different badge. Good luck in your search but look at your spacific needs for what you want to do on the water first. Then look at build quality as well as performance before you choose a manufacturer to buy from. Why buy a Kia when you can get a Ferrari for the same price
WHAT??????
Maybe for the same reason you'd drive a car that looks like it was made 30 years ago??? I guess that's what Ford was thinking when they came out with the new Mustangs and Chevy's thinking on the new Camero's??? Good god man. A tweak here, a tweak there.
Must be happy hour. :D

Froggystyle
07-20-2007, 04:11 PM
Maybe for the same reason you'd drive a car that looks like it was made 30 years ago??? I guess that's what Ford was thinking when they came out with the new Mustangs and Chevy's thinking on the new Camero's??? Good god man. A tweak here, a tweak there.
Must be happy hour. :D
I think he is saying that there are some innovative new styles out there, and they should be taken into consideration.
And I wouldn't consider "retro" styling to be the same as "aged" styling. Bringing back strong points of legendary cars is a marketing thing to play to a generation of people who wished they could have owned one back then. If GM had never build subsequent versions of the Camaro, Ford had never built subsequent versions of the Mustang etc... then they would just be tired old designs and probably wouldn't sell very well. They certainly wouldn't have a bunch of contemporary appeal.

smoker
07-20-2007, 04:37 PM
Good point Wes.
But if a boat builder is going to stay in business, they all look basically the same. They just give em all a little tweak here and there. Vee's or tunnels. Aged turns into retro. Cars, boats, planes, skateboards. All are aged but get retroed. New composites, new bottoms, windshields, but basically the same. Damn. I think were saying the same thing.

Froggystyle
07-20-2007, 04:48 PM
Good point Wes.
But if a boat builder is going to stay in business, they all look basically the same. They just give em all a little tweak here and there. Vee's or tunnels. Aged turns into retro. Cars, boats, planes, skateboards. All are aged but get retroed. New composites, new bottoms, windshields, but basically the same. Damn. I think were saying the same thing.
Well, there is one boat that I can think of off the top of my head that has a brand new bottom, unlike anything in the market both in appearance and properties, is asymmetrical with only utility and comfort in mind, has innovative ingress from the front and rear, uses a proprietary build process and truly pioneering it at great risk in the market, and pushed or removed many boundaries set in place by said industry in order to complete it. In all sincerity, it shares a powerplant and two hinges with the rest of the industry currently.
I think it is safe to say that at least one boat out there today is truly not derivative and exists a bit off to the side of the traditional appearance, build and mindset of the industry at large... :D

smoker
07-20-2007, 05:02 PM
HAHAHAHA. I bet my buddy $20.00 you'd come back with that. Hard to argue though. And your right.

Froggystyle
07-21-2007, 08:49 AM
HAHAHAHA. I bet my buddy $20.00 you'd come back with that. Hard to argue though. And your right.
You set 'em up... I'll knock 'em down... :D
Safe bet BTW... ;)

nodigg
07-21-2007, 09:43 AM
refreshing way to look at the boats!. I went 525 and as always...wish I had gone 700:D
The thing you pointed out and most pay little attention to is the full length front deck. Some decks are a foot or two shorter on inside space due to the set back up front between the sponsons. I think this is a disadvantage when loading at the dock or counting your on board space but would seem to be a good thing if you are in some heavy chop and not underway? I'll take the extra space though. Kind of like the old "does your length include the swim step argument?

Froggystyle
07-21-2007, 01:41 PM
refreshing way to look at the boats!. I went 525 and as always...wish I had gone 700:D
The thing you pointed out and most pay little attention to is the full length front deck. Some decks are a foot or two shorter on inside space due to the set back up front between the sponsons. I think this is a disadvantage when loading at the dock or counting your on board space but would seem to be a good thing if you are in some heavy chop and not underway? I'll take the extra space though. Kind of like the old "does your length include the swim step argument?
One actually sticks out farther when you are around the dock, but turns into a wind deflecting ramp when you are underway... ;)
Some people think of everything! :D

nodigg
07-21-2007, 03:50 PM
One actually sticks out farther when you are around the dock, but turns into a wind deflecting ramp when you are underway... ;)
Some people think of everything! :D
I do like the retracting front idea on your boat. I thought about it, you DID it.
Touche'! Now give us a sleeper berth, good wind protection for driver and main passenger, invisible retracted double bimini, on board stand up reach in cooler, mini bar, keg keeper, on board air pump and tank, retracable wind screen front lounge, removable center walk-way cover between the seats,
wake board pole, (retractable or removeable) that doubles as a stripper pole, top side pop in-out speakers on the guwhales, horn standard, windlass, ...oh yeah and keep it under 100k! :D

Froggystyle
07-21-2007, 08:04 PM
I do like the retracting front idea on your boat. I thought about it, you DID it.
Touche'! Now give us a sleeper berth, good wind protection for driver and main passenger, invisible retracted double bimini, on board stand up reach in cooler, mini bar, keg keeper, on board air pump and tank, retracable wind screen front lounge, removable center walk-way cover between the seats,
wake board pole, (retractable or removeable) that doubles as a stripper pole, top side pop in-out speakers on the guwhales, horn standard, windlass, ...oh yeah and keep it under 100k! :D
Hold on... I am writing all of this down... :D

NashvilleBound
07-22-2007, 05:31 AM
Careful with what you ask for ;) ;)

RaceFace
07-22-2007, 04:41 PM
I've never ridden in the Advantage but I sat in one at 2 different shows. The first think I noticed about it was from the drivers seat, the way the deck arched up in front of you, I couldnt see the front 4 to 5 feet of the boat....Im no midget either. I'm 6'4". I asked the Advantage sales guy about it and he just shrugged his shoulders, sat down in the drivers seat, looked and said "oh yeah, i guess you cant see the front". Some help he was. I'm hoping it sits better in the water.
I have never had more than a 21' jet boat but am also in the market for a deck or tunnel and in my opinion, I would like to be able to see most of my boat in front of me, especially when trailering. I always walk my boats on to beaches, so thats not an issue. It had that front "blind spot" that I wasnt comfortable with, thats why I marked it off my list.

Havasu_Dreamin
07-22-2007, 06:51 PM
The Howard is a great looking boat with lots of features, but the front swim step/sponson plate doesn't go all the way to the front of the boat, so my wife would not be able to step from the boat to the dock.
Don't let that discourage you. Go and check one out first. If I remember correctly, because I measured it when we ordered our Howard, it's less than 18 inches from the tip of the sponson to the front of the 'step-plate' as you call it on the Howard. I routinely get off of ours at docks without any problem.....

Froggystyle
07-23-2007, 08:04 AM
I've never ridden in the Advantage but I sat in one at 2 different shows. The first think I noticed about it was from the drivers seat, the way the deck arched up in front of you, I couldnt see the front 4 to 5 feet of the boat....Im no midget either. I'm 6'4". I asked the Advantage sales guy about it and he just shrugged his shoulders, sat down in the drivers seat, looked and said "oh yeah, i guess you cant see the front". Some help he was. I'm hoping it sits better in the water.
I have never had more than a 21' jet boat but am also in the market for a deck or tunnel and in my opinion, I would like to be able to see most of my boat in front of me, especially when trailering. I always walk my boats on to beaches, so thats not an issue. It had that front "blind spot" that I wasnt comfortable with, thats why I marked it off my list.
Our helm seat sits a little higher than others for this exact reason. You can see all four corners of the boat from the helm, and it sits up enough that with people sitting in front, you can still drive easily and safely. We are offering, as an option a lower seat for those that want to look cooler, but retaining the higher helm vantage point for those primarily concerned with utility and safety.
We would love to show you the boat if you get a chance. I think that the nearly zero bow-rise coupled with the phenomenal visibility might be right up your alley.

1 Baja Guy
07-23-2007, 08:49 AM
Hey, we are all subject to the Corvette, Farrari argument all the time. I'm not afraid to face facts. The Vette will never be thought of the same as an "Exotic" but Corvette kicks ARSE on all the WAAAYYY expensive Italian/German status symbols. Doesn't mean I wouldn't like to have a status symbol in my garage. I'd park it right along side the daily driver vette and show everyone I owned an over priced legend as well. So are you saying its not smart to get the most bang for your buck? That if you have too much money you should not value your purchase decisions? I gotta say, I admire those that can sell the higher priced widgets. Kudos on the sales savy. Is the widget cost justified or simply icon justified? Does it really matter? All that matters is that the buyer is satisfied. Not satisfied with Cheetah? Hmmmm, guess I'll have to figure that one out........
(GAWD I love the status arguments) :)
2 words "Perceived Value" :D

mobldj
07-23-2007, 07:35 PM
cheetah,lol
dont f..k with a cheetah,youll save enough dough to by your old lady right out from under ya...lol

hkunz
07-25-2007, 10:08 PM
refreshing way to look at the boats!
I used to be in procurement for the world's second largest nuclear Navy - I can shop tech specs:)
There is a new glitch in the calulations based upon my research, however - Getting financing for a used boat is based upon th NADA value, if you are thinking of an almost new boat. We were checking out a very nice '06 Magic with all the options - great graphics, 525, trim tabs, stereo, etc. The NADA was so low relative to the asking price that the deal won't happen, although it would be cheaper for us (thus more likely for the finance company to get fully paid, statisticly). Advantage and Cheetah have much higher NADA values, relative to their initial purchase price. Howard also has a generally high NADA value relative to "new" price.
The Howard's 18" swim step setback, however, keeps it from being the boat for us - my wife has had both knees tweaked on, and she'll never play semi-pro basketball again. Or take a long step from the dock to the boat.
I should mention graphics relative to each other that I've observed. I look at the harder parts to tape off - the points, and the areas near them. I'd be quite upset if I paid 150 grand for a trick boat and the tape wasn't stuck down properly when they laid up the graphics. There are some very high dollar boats out there with less than careful graphics laid out, including some in the magazines. The top three on my list, once again, have the graphics well laid in all the examples I've seen - Howard, Cheetah, and Advantage.
I find it interesting that the price points for these three are all over the map. While graphics layout quality is not a disqualifier, it is a factor in our choice, whatever it will be.

Froggystyle
07-25-2007, 10:47 PM
I used to be in procurement for the world's second largest nuclear Navy - I can shop tech specs:)
There is a new glitch in the calulations based upon my research, however - Getting financing for a used boat is based upon th NADA value, if you are thinking of an almost new boat. We were checking out a very nice '06 Magic with all the options - great graphics, 525, trim tabs, stereo, etc. The NADA was so low relative to the asking price that the deal won't happen, although it would be cheaper for us (thus more likely for the finance company to get fully paid, statisticly). Advantage and Cheetah have much higher NADA values, relative to their initial purchase price. Howard also has a generally high NADA value relative to "new" price.
The Howard's 18" swim step setback, however, keeps it from being the boat for us - my wife has had both knees tweaked on, and she'll never play semi-pro basketball again. Or take a long step from the dock to the boat.
I should mention graphics relative to each other that I've observed. I look at the harder parts to tape off - the points, and the areas near them. I'd be quite upset if I paid 150 grand for a trick boat and the tape wasn't stuck down properly when they laid up the graphics. There are some very high dollar boats out there with less than careful graphics laid out, including some in the magazines. The top three on my list, once again, have the graphics well laid in all the examples I've seen - Howard, Cheetah, and Advantage.
I find it interesting that the price points for these three are all over the map. While graphics layout quality is not a disqualifier, it is a factor in our choice, whatever it will be.
If you PM me your e-mail addy, I will send you some pics of a swimstep you can live with, industry crushing performance and graphics that will blow your mind...

Throttle
07-25-2007, 11:22 PM
did you check out the Cobra python? two models to choose from... 260 or 280...

Throttle
07-25-2007, 11:30 PM
I just took delivery of a 26’ Cobra Deck. I’ve had it out twice on the lower Colorado and it’s been flawless. I’ll have it out in Havasu this weekend. I’ll let you know how that goes.:)
well?

Scapegoat1
07-25-2007, 11:47 PM
I seen nodigg'ss boat couple days before the 4th of July. In windsor launch area.
I was impressed, looked very nice. maybe I am just partial