PDA

View Full Version : California Poll

78Eliminator
07-18-2007, 08:42 AM
I was born and raised in CA, and all these threads about people moving out of California have got me a little curious.

havaduner
07-18-2007, 08:47 AM
Curious about what?

RitcheyRch
07-18-2007, 08:48 AM
Native and hoping to move out of CA in the late Summer of 2008. Need to wait until my Daughter is the big 18.

78Eliminator
07-18-2007, 08:49 AM
I'm curious about how many people are natives, how many people have moved here and how many people are moving out of this state.

havaduner
07-18-2007, 08:55 AM
I'm curious about how many people are natives, how many people have moved here and how many people are moving out of this state.
Sorry about that, this security update thing on this site didnt allow me to see the actual poll. I voted.
Yeah, I was born here, still live here, but only for a couple more years.

Boozer
07-18-2007, 08:56 AM
No matter where you go things aren't much better and in many cases a lot worse.
I have lived in Houston Texas, Denver Colorado, All over So-Cal, Spent lots of time in Las Vegas Nevada, and SLC Utah.
All of the above mentioned places have had almost as much if not the same congestion as California. The illegals are taking over EVERYWHERE not just California, and other then the cost of real estate the cost of living is just about the same everywhere. In fact here in Denver the cost of smokes, groceries, energy and just about everything else tends to be a bit higher then they are in So-Cal. The cost of real estate here in Denver is definitely cheaper but the economy here is in the sh*tter big time, sure you can buy a nice home for $200K but is a $13.50 an hour job going to afford you that home?? The people here are rude as f*ck, most do not know how to drive worth a sh*t, and cold snowy winters suck some serious ass.
If you bought your house before the real estate boom, have a reasonable mortgage, and a good job I would say stay put. If you do leave California and aren't happy where you end up you will probably never be able to afford to move back.

HocusPocus
07-18-2007, 09:37 AM
i was born in Dallas Tx, then lived several places there, Amarillo, Lubbock, Morton, Plainview, lived in Sedalia Mo for a bit, North Dakota, Ash Fork Az, Albuquerque Nm and ended up in Cali at the age of 15 where i lived in Downey before moving to Phelan when i was 17.. been here ever since. i would move to Az or Nv full time but we will be here at least until the kids all get out of school which will take a while.

HCS
07-18-2007, 10:28 AM
I was born in Sacramento California and live in Sacramento California.
Never moved.

Steamin' Rice
07-18-2007, 10:32 AM
native AZ - Moved to CA in late 1999 - Moved back to AZ in late 2006. CA is great, just wanted to have more space and a bigger house in AZ.

Havasu_Dreamin
07-18-2007, 11:17 AM
Born and riased in CA. Right now, I like my job so I can pout up with some of the negatives that So. Cal has.....I do know that eventually I will be living somewhere else, most likely AZ.....

YeLLowBoaT
07-18-2007, 11:23 AM
I was born in sacramento other then my time in USCG I have lived in and around sacramento... I do own some land in Southern OR that I am planing on building a house on and moving up there. As soon as I get about 50k in the bank I'm starting construction.( need money to live off of while I build the house.)

Mr. Crusader 83
Born in Santa Ana. Moved to Oceanside Ca. Then Tucson Az, then back to cali. Then in 99 to Kodiak Ak. Then back to carlsbad ca. then tampa fl. then lake havasu city AZ
And im stayin here in good ol Lake Havasu

shippingguy
Born and raised here. I have traveled and lived in alot of places. I must say there are alot of places that make it easy to leave CA. I am hoping to make a move out of CA by the end of 2008 beginning of 2009. Most likely Havasu or Ft. Mohave. Also, open to other places as well, but most likely one of those two.
Mike

XFactor
07-18-2007, 11:41 AM
I've spent 43 of my 45 years in So. Cal. L.A. County, Orange County and San Diego. I own real estate in L.A., Orange County and Havasu. I don't think I could live in Havasu permanatley. I also don't think I can stand L.A. much longer. San Diego was AWESOME, but I don't think I would return. I lived in Arlington Texas for 18 months and loved it. Cost of living was way less than CA. People were great, but the weather sucked. I think ultimately I'll end up in AZ or Idaho with a small business. Quality is starting to make more sense than quantity. L.A. is to busy, to crowded and to rude.

Boatcop
07-18-2007, 11:42 AM
Born in Hollywood, raised in the LA South Bay. Lived in NJ (twice), San Francisco, Parker, Hawaii, SD Area (Santee), all courtesy of the Coast Guard. Settled in Parker. Wouldn't move back to CA if they paid me to.
Looking to retire to Eastern Oregon, at least on a part time basis. (Yeah, I'll be a SnowBird :D)

AvengerBabe
07-18-2007, 11:43 AM
Born in CA, but it's lookin' like we might be joining the migration to Phoenix:D

Tremor Therapy
07-18-2007, 11:57 AM
Born in Los Angeles (the French Hospital downtown), but spent the last 43 years in Vista (Northern San Diego County). It was a great place to grow up, and I love San Diego. That being said, I'll probably be living up in the 951 or 909 very shortly as I can't take the three family, 9 cars in the yard element that has finally invaded my neighborhood. :(
I know that it will eventually invade and ruin those places as well, but my youngest is 10, and I hope to get through the next 8+ years without too much of that headache. Once my youngest is out or in college, my wife and I want the hell out. I loved Cali as a kid, but without the money to insulate myself from all of what Cali has become, I'll be outta here. My mom has 5 acres in Klammoth Falls that I will be buying from her, and that will be the first place I look. I know I'll have another 15 years to work once my youngest is out, but if the finances are available at the time, I'll take the Walmart greeters job up there! ;)

FOREVER2DOXIES
07-18-2007, 12:11 PM
was born in california and have lived noplace else. i have visited many states and there are many other beautiful places. the weather in cali is top notch but the people are getting hard to handle. as i get older, i realise that i dont need the attitude here...or the crowds. it will be hard to do but i am planning to move next year.

TAF
07-18-2007, 12:49 PM
Born in CA, but it's lookin' like we might be joining the migration to Phoenix:D
I found AZ to be less of a rip off as far as taxes and more acountable for the "illegals" issue. Cali just wants to get more illegal voters in and give them welfare and free medical. :sqeyes: :idea: :) I moved to AZ in 1990 when it cost $17 aday to get on Castaic and LA county tried collecting luxury taxes on my boat for the years 1991 & 92 even though I didn't live there. For two yrs. I couldn't get the issue resolved because the only people answering the phones couln't speak English properly.:sqeyes: :D Once I moved to AZ I could camp & boat for 2 weeks for free at most lakes and only recently did we have to start paying $10 / day.:D I love AZ and only go back to Cali to visit friends and family, most of which can't wait to get out of Cali.

TahitiTiger
07-18-2007, 12:55 PM
Born in CA, live in CA, have no plans on moving out of CA. A friend of mine moved to Oregon, said the grass was greener. 6 monthes later he is always complaining about the pay is less, and the weather sucks. Guess he will be back LOL

STLRFAN
07-18-2007, 01:00 PM
Born and raised in OC

Phat Matt
07-18-2007, 01:04 PM
I was born in Whittier, lived in Diamond Bar, raised in Portland, and have since lived in Havasu, Phoenix, Tempe, Vegas, Fontana, Mentone, and now Yucaipa.
In that order. :)
Welcome to the Peoples Republic of California.

lalhc
07-18-2007, 01:56 PM
Born in Pomona, CA - I lived most of my life in La Verne (through college). Moved to Fontana after college and hated it. Moved to Highland for 6 years and that wasn't too bad, and now I live in Lake Arrowhead full time and love it up there. I spend most of July & August living in Havasu. I am a Summerbird :D

Dave C
07-18-2007, 02:01 PM
Born and raised in Norcal, Bay Area lived in the same town all my life (Foster City), ..... I ain't leaving unless they throw me out.
But considering how the greenies are around here they may throw me out if I keep this up ;) ;) :D good thing they don't believe in guns because I do :D

CampbellCarl
07-18-2007, 02:18 PM
Born in Lynwood, grew up in Hawthorne/Inglewood, then Whittier, then 7 years in Oregon, back to CA in Tustin, Laguna, Huntington, back to Whittier and I'm trying to get to Lake F Mohave ASAP. Planning on a 2009 move.
CC

westair
07-19-2007, 06:28 AM
Need to add to the poll:
Born and raised in CA, moved out of state, then moved back.
Alot of these places have the same problems as CA, also
the real estate prices don't seem to be much different
any more.

Wheeler
07-19-2007, 06:46 AM
Born in Ca. Redondo beach first 16 years, North Oc. 32 years, Parker and Bouse the last two years. Working back in the Oc. for the last 2 months and will be starting a new business in the Oc. and work for another 5-7 years. I am currently looking at property along the central coast and lake Arrowhead Ca. If I go to Arrowhead, I will keep the Parker house, if the Central coast, I will sell the Az. properties and buy an ocean vessel.
People ask about the heat in Az.. The heat is most definitely tolerable, the lack of traffic make for a nice drive from the ranch to Parker

photo chick
07-19-2007, 06:48 AM
I was born in beautiful Panorama City and raised in Santa Clarita then moved to Wood Ranch and lived there up until 3 years ago.... didn't want to leave though :(

HM
07-19-2007, 06:49 AM
I am 3rd generation Californian and I look forward to seeing more threads of people leaving CA. :D

widowmaker
07-19-2007, 06:56 AM
Born and raised in San Diego, lived in Del Mar for my entire life. Bought a house in Colorado, will probably live there 3-4 months out of the year when I retire in fifteen years. I have a hard time believing that I will stay in SD for the rest of my life.

MrsSigEpMock
07-19-2007, 07:05 AM
Born and lived in Riverside for 19 years, moved to Chino Hills in 96 during college, moved to Aliso Viejo after graduation, 6mos later moved to Corona, 6 mos later bought a house in Rancho Cucamonga. been here since 2001
I have visited a lot of places, and the weather here is the best, the people can be rude but they are at least intelligent compared to most places. I don't mind having illegals here but I do mind them having the same rights.
I don't plan on leaving anytime soon, but think I would like to retire in Southern Colorado. Who knows!
My mother Originally from NJ moved here in 1968, then moved to MO in 1996, then back to CA in 2004. She did not have great timing at all and are paying for it. They should have stayed in CA. Their .5 acre 19K house could have been sold for about 20x that in 2003/2004. O'well.

RitcheyRch
07-19-2007, 07:11 AM
When I was born we lived on Blythe St in Van Nuys. After a few years we moved to Tyrone Ave which is a few streets behind the old Americana Movie Theatre. You couldnt pay me to live in that area again.
I was born in beautiful Panorama City and raised in Santa Clarita then moved to Wood Ranch and lived there up until 3 years ago.... didn't want to leave though :(

photo chick
07-19-2007, 07:24 AM
When I was born we lived on Blythe St in Van Nuys. After a few years we moved to Tyrone Ave which is a few streets behind the old Americana Movie Theatre. You couldnt pay me to live in that area again.
You couldn't pay me to drive in that area again!!!:D

ahhell
07-19-2007, 07:45 AM
Spent my first 45 years there...between Ontario, Chino, Upland...Married then it was Rancho, Fontana, Hesperia...NOW Fort Mohave AZ
Prolly wont go back...I dont speak the language:eek:

Havasu1
07-19-2007, 07:53 AM
Born and raised in San Diego, Moved to Orange County for a few years after college in 93, then back to SD. Moved to Phoenix (Anthem) in the summer of 03. I had a bitchen house with a nice pool and view. The traffic back then on the 17 and 101 was as bad as anything here is SD (I hear it is a real beeotch now). Real estated and gas in AZ was cheaper back then. Not so much anymore. One thing I thought was very odd, many times I would talk to someone who lived in AZ all their life (ususally someone under the age of 30), thought I was crazy for moving from SD to AZ? Anyway, I moved back to SD after a year (the move out to AZ was for my job). They both have pros and cons and I do think about moving back there sometimes (my wife loved it out there). I know I will not retire in SD due to cost. Hell, I got a game plan for all of us, once all of Mexico jumps the boarder and move up here, we should all retire down in Cabo:D

Ziggy
07-19-2007, 08:06 AM
I'm a native........
Born in the OC, raised in SD co. since age 7

yopengo
07-19-2007, 08:20 AM
No matter where you go things aren't much better and in many cases a lot worse.
I have lived in Houston Texas, Denver Colorado, All over So-Cal, Spent lots of time in Las Vegas Nevada, and SLC Utah.
All of the above mentioned places have had almost as much if not the same congestion as California. The illegals are taking over EVERYWHERE not just California, and other then the cost of real estate the cost of living is just about the same everywhere. In fact here in Denver the cost of smokes, groceries, energy and just about everything else tends to be a bit higher then they are in So-Cal. The cost of real estate here in Denver is definitely cheaper but the economy here is in the sh*tter big time, sure you can buy a nice home for $200K but is a $13.50 an hour job going to afford you that home?? The people here are rude as f*ck, most do not know how to drive worth a sh*t, and cold snowy winters suck some serious ass.
If you bought your house before the real estate boom, have a reasonable mortgage, and a good job I would say stay put. If you do leave California and aren't happy where you end up you will probably never be able to afford to move back.
As much as I want to cash out and moveĀ… this is what I am afraid of if we leave. :idea:

78Eliminator
07-19-2007, 09:11 AM
I actually thought there would be more people in the "Was not born in CA but moved here" category.
I was born in Tustin, CA. Then when I was 6 months old we moved to Encinitas and I lived there for 18 years, then Rancho Santa Fe for 2 years, then finally to Vista. So, I have been in Southern CA my whole life. 35 years. The place has really changed. In Encinitas, I used to be able to ride my dirt bike all over. Now it's just a concrete jungle.

Jbb
07-19-2007, 09:15 AM
I've been to Disneyland............................:)

78Eliminator
07-19-2007, 09:18 AM
Hell, I got a game plan for all of us, once all of Mexico jumps the boarder and move up here, we should all retire down in Cabo:D
Send all the illegals to live in Fargo.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
07-19-2007, 09:55 AM
Born in Chicago, raised in San Diego, been in Orange County for the past 5 years.
Someday we hope to move elsewhere but who knows where that will be....:D

edog_103
07-19-2007, 10:04 AM
Born in Los Angeles (the French Hospital downtown), but spent the last 43 years in Vista (Northern San Diego County). It was a great place to grow up, and I love San Diego. That being said, I'll probably be living up in the 951 or 909 very shortly as I can't take the three family, 9 cars in the yard element that has finally invaded my neighborhood. :(
I think you are too late for that. I can't figure out how the schools can hadle it. 10 kids living in one house, and all going to the same schools that are already over crowded.
I was born and raised in Ca. in the last year I have been to Austin TX, Santa Rosa Ca, Yuma TX, Parker AZ, Havasu, and Houston. Santa Rosa and Austin, were absolutely beautiful, and the people were polite. I get back Ca, and am ready to leave after about 20 minutes.

In2Deep
07-19-2007, 11:14 AM
Great poll. Very interesting.

Quest4Fun
07-19-2007, 12:02 PM
I was born in Illinois; family moved to La Habra, CA when I was 6 years old, after moving out of my parents house, lived in Fullerton, Ontario, Phillips Ranch and moved to Havasu 5 years ago. Love living in Lake Havasu should have done it sooner but happy we were able to move here. We go back to So. Cal. about 4 or 5 times a year and can never get over how many people there are! At least one trip always involves taking in an Angels game - still an Angels Fan!

XFactor
07-19-2007, 12:12 PM
Born and raised in San Diego, lived in Del Mar for my entire life. Bought a house in Colorado, will probably live there 3-4 months out of the year when I retire in fifteen years. I have a hard time believing that I will stay in SD for the rest of my life.
You must have gone to Torrey Pines H.S. What year did you graduate?