PDA

View Full Version : Car Allowances

GBLASER
02-17-2006, 02:55 PM
Our company is looking into changing the policy. Right now they provide a vehicle and a gas card. Now they want to give an allowance and pay for miles used for business. I was just wandering what is the norm, if there is one.
The most recent rumors are somewhere in the neighborhood of $300.00 a month plus .11 to .14 cents a mile. This sounds pretty low. We are a company that manufactures and installs cabinets for commercial projects, mainly schools, and our project managers visit the sites throughout the week and put a good deal of miles on a vehicle monthly. Our projects are from San Diego to Santa Barbara.
I know someone out there has the answer. Thanks

Norseman
02-17-2006, 03:03 PM
I'm a sales engineer in the NY metro area, selling electronic componenets and electro control products. terminal blocks, switches, contactors, indicator lights Ect. Our lines are ABB Controls, ABB Motors and Drives, Panasonic, ITT Canon, and a bunch of others.
We get a $500.00 per month car allowance and the company picks up the fuel used for work travel. I average about 4,000 miles a month. Tears up cars pretty quick.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
02-17-2006, 03:07 PM
Our company has a couple different options for employees. Either $325/very two weeks, no extra reimbursement for mileage or straight mileage at .415/mile or a lump sum based on actual mileage plus .25/mile.

burtandnancy
02-17-2006, 03:13 PM
The cost per mile figure can only be correctly determined after the monthly allowance is offered. There are so many ways that this is done by various companies, that you will soon be totally confused...

lucky
02-17-2006, 03:34 PM
I wouldn't do shit for any less than about .33 a mile - just to cover insurance and fuel : ) otherwise let them provide the car :) a car getting 14 mpg runs ya .16 cents a mile @2.57 a gallon average insurance at 1200 . a year ( average ) with an average of 723 miles a month/4 bus. ( based off of 12000 miles a year divided by 22 days )
average insurance will run 1200. a year / 365 =3.28 x (5)(( work week) ) $16.4 week cost
fuel =115.00 a month
insurance = 65.6 a month
thats 41 bucks a week /164 a month or .22 a mile on our 723 miles which is conservitive
but i could have f/u as i am a bench racer :)
another thing to think about -- Your insurance if you get in an accident for your Job -- Who would be liable ??? :cry: :cry:

Mrs. Bordsmnj
02-17-2006, 03:42 PM
another thing to think about -- Your insurance if you get in an accident for your Job -- Who would be liable ??? :cry: :cry:
We make our employees provide proof on insurance if they are going to be on jobsites. Just last week, an employee backed into the formans car...he let his insurance expire so my company was then liable for his claim.

KineticoH20
02-17-2006, 04:14 PM
My company provides an Escalade, plus insurance, and gas, oh wait I own the company :boxed:

Havasu Hangin'
02-17-2006, 04:30 PM
It's been my experience that car allowance/company vehicles are different depending on the industry.
We are on the Runzheimer program...which is the bare miniumum to keep from getting taxed as compensation.

THOR
02-17-2006, 04:43 PM
I received $900/month at my old job to drive my own truck. Either that or a company truck with a company gas card.

AZJD
02-17-2006, 04:49 PM
I get $800.00 per month and thats it! No fuel, no nothing and it sucks. I average 3k miles per month......my monthly out going vehicle cost with a $400.00 per month payment is around $1200.00. This does not include wear and tear, tires, and regular maint.

Havasu Hangin'
02-17-2006, 05:01 PM
I get $800.00 per month and thats it! No fuel, no nothing and it sucks. I average 3k miles per month......my monthly out going vehicle cost with a $400.00 per month payment is around $1200.00. This does not include wear and tear, tires, and regular maint.
No M5 company car? :idea:

AZJD
02-17-2006, 05:18 PM
No M5 company car? :idea:
I almost crashed it last wednesday! Bad idea to take off the DSC when your drunk.....500 HP too much for that car sober...
Spun it out at about 45MPH with Jenna and Jami in the car!

Havasu Hangin'
02-17-2006, 05:25 PM
Spun it out at about 45MPH with Jenna and Jami in the car!
That's it...you're outta the Cig boat biatch club for not inviting me.
:notam:

AZJD
02-17-2006, 05:28 PM
I don't think Mrs. HH would like you coming out and playing with me and 2 beautiful girls all the time.
When are you coming out again?

Jordy
02-17-2006, 05:28 PM
After seeing a T/S Gun out at Pleasant on Sunday he's working extra hard to get into Jordy's Cig Boat Bitch Club. :notam: :D

Havasu Hangin'
02-17-2006, 05:31 PM
I don't think Mrs. HH would like you coming out and playing with me and 2 beautiful girls all the time.
Mrs. who? :confused:
When are you coming out again?
Whenever the M5 is full of gas and a couple beautiful women.

AZJD
02-17-2006, 05:33 PM
Mrs. who? :confused:
Whenever the M5 is full of gas and a couple beautiful women.
I almost forgot....you are the undisputed king of hallpasses! Let me know when you are coming out and I will make it happen!

AZJD
02-17-2006, 05:35 PM
After seeing a T/S Gun out at Pleasant on Sunday he's working extra hard to get into Jordy's Cig Boat Bitch Club. :notam: :D
Quit buying stupid toys that don't float, your burning up the Cig fund!

Havasu Hangin'
02-17-2006, 05:38 PM
I almost forgot....you are the undisputed king of hallpasses! Let me know when you are coming out and I will make it happen!
Done! Since you're such a good guy for setting that up, we may even let you come along.
:D

AZJD
02-17-2006, 05:44 PM
Done! Since you're such a good guy for setting that up, we may even let you come along.
Thank you so much, I knew we were friends!

hoolign
02-17-2006, 05:56 PM
Truck allowance for us in the oil patch is 1.00 a KM so about 70 cents a mile +/-. Minimum 100.00 bucks a day.

Chubby4Life
02-17-2006, 06:22 PM
The company I work for pays $200.00 per week and supplies a fuel card. We also get riembursment for oil changes, car wash and tires every 2 years. The only requirement is that we own a white Ford truck no more than 3 years old.

Havasu Hangin'
02-17-2006, 07:05 PM
Thank you so much, I knew we were friends!
Never let it be said I'm not there for you. Heck, it's the least I can do for a guy who tried to pick up on my wife!
PS- What is that guy's name who vowed never to get in the M5 again? You know...the "I feel so used..." guy? :idea:

Jordy
02-17-2006, 07:08 PM
PS- What is that guy's name who vowed never to get in the M5 again? You know...the "I feel so used..." guy? :idea:
OH SNAP!!!! You know, come to think of it, he did kind of remind me of boat bitch... :idea: :D

Havasu Hangin'
02-17-2006, 07:10 PM
OH SNAP!!!! You know, come to think of it, he did kind of remind me of boat bitch... :idea: :D
I remember he was very "EMO"... :cry:

Jordy
02-17-2006, 07:12 PM
Yeah, I can picture who you're talking about, but I'm drawing a blank on the details for some reason... :D :D :D

AZJD
02-17-2006, 07:33 PM
Never let it be said I'm not there for you. Heck, it's the least I can do for a guy who tried to pick up on my wife!
Oh well, must have been drinking when I said that.

AZJD
02-17-2006, 07:35 PM
I don't remember that!!!!!!!!!! I seem to remember no EMO's....was I drinking that much?

Havasu Hangin'
02-17-2006, 07:47 PM
I don't remember that!!!!!!!!!! I seem to remember no EMO's....
Oh yeah. I'd say anybody that pulls a tissue out of his purse (so the tears won't stain his skirt)...is going "EMO" on us...
:cry:

MOBrien
02-17-2006, 08:03 PM
I average about 2000 miles/month. Allowance is $400/month and $.13/mile. The feds allow what, $.45/mile or something......so I write off the difference come tax time.
Not the best allowance situation, but we're a pretty conservative company and we required to stay within certain vehicle guidelines. Nothing too flashy so as not to make our customers uncomfortable or give them the impression we're being paid too much. The bummer is that vehicle maintenance is not covered whatsoever. That's kinda focked up, but what'r ya gonna do.

Cole Sanger
02-17-2006, 09:22 PM
We get $500 a month for a car allowance. Same with the last Semiconductor company I worked for.

AZJD
02-18-2006, 07:38 AM
Oh yeah. I'd say anybody that pulls a tissue out of his purse (so the tears won't stain his skirt)...is going "EMO" on us...
:cry:
Now I know you got me confused with someone else, I think HH had too much to drink that night!

Havasu Hangin'
02-18-2006, 10:19 AM
Now I know you got me confused with someone else...
Are you talking about the guy that got "own3d" in Bourbon Street? :supp:

jackaroos
02-18-2006, 10:30 AM
$400.00 a month plus all fuel - 45,000 mile a year

NashvilleBound
02-18-2006, 11:35 AM
My company policy is you buy your own car, your own gas, get to work on time or your history. Its a very simple policy....oh, and NO whining.

tahitijet
02-18-2006, 12:07 PM
my last job figured company car and full expenses to be worth roughly 1,000 a month.
if you drove your own vehicle they gave you 300 per month .30 cents a mile and 100% of expenses (oil, washes, damage, etc)
If the company were offering me .11 cents a mile i'd negotiate a larger alloweance to cover car expenses and insurance and deny the .11 cents a mile and write mileage off on your taxes cause i think the IRS gives you like .61 cents a mile deduct if your not reimbursed for mileage.

2Driver
02-18-2006, 12:29 PM
I ran U.S. Field Operations for an IT company and put all my staff across the US in cars with a gas card. I looked at a lot of programs when I wanted to get out of the cars.
If you are going to change from cars to fee based reimbursement program the best option is let Runzheimer http://www.runzheimer.com/web/home.aspx run your program. It is best for the employer and the employee. In case you don’t know who Runzheimer is they set the mileage rate the US government uses for allowable reimbursement etc...
Here is why:
1. They are the only program where NO TAXES are taken out of the check and the employee does not recognize the gain on their income. This allows the employer to give a fair amount and the Employee to get the full amount.
2. They reimburse by zip code which takes into consideration Insurance rates and gas by geographic area
3. They manage the program (mileage reporting, reimbursement amounts, reporting and vehicle type tracking) for a very small fee.
I recognized over $500,000 savings over 3 years by getting rid of 60 cars. On top of that the staff got to drive their car of choice within reasonable program guidelines.
PM me if you want more details

GBLASER
02-21-2006, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the info. We are going to start discussing the possible alternatives tomorrow. Anybody have any different policies please continue to post. Also what if you are involved in an accident while not on company time? What policies do different companies have?

2Driver
02-21-2006, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the info. We are going to start discussing the possible alternatives tomorrow. Anybody have any different policies please continue to post. Also what if you are involved in an accident while not on company time? What policies do different companies have?
If your company is providing the car and the insurance they should be covering the car and the employee 100% of the time. Be sure to get clarity on spouse, relative or friend coverage if they are behind the wheel. I lost one in the fleet when a spouse totaled the car.