PDA

View Full Version : Boat Trailer Refurb?

mondorally
07-18-2007, 10:21 AM
Any names and recommendations on companies in SoCal that refurb trailers?
I already have a thread going on new trailers but a wise man suggested I check the cost of refurbing my current trailer as its basically in good shape.
Here's what I plan on doing:
-Sandblast & Paint
-New Bunks
-New Lights
-Disc Brake conversion
-New leaf bushings and/or convert to torsions
-New bow support and winch
If anyone has refurbed a trailer lately can you detail what was done and how much you paid?
Thanks!
-Justin

RiverDave
07-18-2007, 10:49 AM
Kustom trailers in Rancho Cucamonga, I got sandblased, paint, new bearings, new wiring and lights...about 1200. I did my bunks, they said my brakes were OK. Nice guys.
That's the one I was thinking of BTW Justin.. I've heard some good things about them, and only ever heard one bad thing, which was attitude related. (I.E. the guy was a dick on the phone to one of my friends getting some work done by them)
RD

DaddyMack
07-18-2007, 10:57 AM
Doing it mostly myself..
Sandblast and powder coat = $600.00 (someone else - haven't done this yet.. I would pull all lighting and bunks off trailer) had it painted by a buddy.. (nice 20 ft job..lol..) so may not do this step for a bit...
did or doing the following over the next week...
new brakes (drum), hubs and bearings = $360 (parts - i did labor)
new led's parts = $100.00 (four ovals and 7 markers - i did labor)
new bunks..= about $100.00 (new wood and carpet parts - i did labor)
also new tires = $240.00 ebay
had old wheels powdercoated = $150 (someone else prep and coat)
mount, balance and warranty on tires = $120 (Discount Tire will warranty other tires not just ones you buy from them)
new "moon" hubcaps = $50
I could have gotten new tires with new mag type wheels that I liked for about $560.00 but opted for old school look.
trailer is for my 20 foot boat is about 23 ft long...

Baja Big Dog
07-18-2007, 11:28 AM
Any names and recommendations on companies in SoCal that refurb trailers?
I already have a thread going on new trailers but a wise man suggested I check the cost of refurbing my current trailer as its basically in good shape.
Some rough numbers if you do it yourself, hopefully you a place to store and remove the boat!!!
Here's what I plan on doing:
-Sandblast & Paint Guessing $1000, gotta be carefull when blasting if the trailer had bondo toblend in seams, joints etc, this will have to be redone before paint
-New Bunks depends on the length, figure the carpet is $2 a ft
-New Lights About $150 for LED's depends on how many clearence lights and the three rears if required..
-Disc Brake conversion $250-$350 depending on axle cap, and finish (coated or Cad, or add another couple hundie for Stainless)
-New leaf bushings and/or convert to torsions New bushings and EQ"s $150
-New bow support and winch Winch $60 support about $25
If anyone has refurbed a trailer lately can you detail what was done and how much you paid?
Thanks!
-Justin
Try it yourself

socalmoney
07-18-2007, 11:39 AM
If your paying someone to do it, which I was going to do since I can't store my boat in front of my house, it was going to be all most as much as a new trailer. I just went and bought a new trailer for about 600 more from Extreme. Very happy with my choice. Got more for the money also. If you can do the work yourself you can save a lot.

79Challenger
07-18-2007, 11:44 AM
Just a bit of advice... be careful when sandblasting or make the operator aware; Alot of trailer companies use bondo and other body fillers.

C-2
07-18-2007, 11:45 AM
Almost finished with mine.
$300 Earl Scheib sand/paint.
Keeping existing lights, will buff out with plastic polsih
$88 Redwood for the bunks
$64 Indoor/Outdoor Carpet
$40 Bolts/hardware
$15 new wench strap
$35 Fulton jack
$340 4 new Greenball tires/balancing
$882
Oh yeah, forgot the $10 for two new Hallett stickers:mad:

Baja Big Dog
07-18-2007, 11:49 AM
Almost finished with mine.
$300 Earl Scheib sand/paint.
Keeping existing lights, will buff out with plastic polsih
$88 Redwood for the bunks
$64 Indoor/Outdoor Carpet
$40 Bolts/hardware
$15 new wench strap
$35 Fulton jack
$340 4 new Greenball tires/balancing
$882
Oh yeah, forgot the $10 for two new Hallett stickers:mad:
Dont forget the brakes and spring hardware...

C-2
07-18-2007, 11:59 AM
Dont forget the brakes and spring hardware...
They both look good, forgot wheel bearings though, aren't they aboput $10 each, so add $40.
I'm also too cheap to spring for some of those aluminum star mags, that would be another $400. They look nice though.

bigkyle
07-18-2007, 06:34 PM
Extreme Trailers did mine a few years for $1,500. Had it sandblasted, new paint, spare tire carrier installed, new lites, tow cables, and new bunks. Trailer carried my old 21 Sleekcraft.
They really aren't into refurbs though, but they'll do it if they can fit you in.

ColeTR2
07-18-2007, 07:06 PM
Kustom trailers in Rancho Cucamonga, I got sandblased, paint, new bearings, new wiring and lights...about 1200. I did my bunks, they said my brakes were OK. Nice guys.
Yep KTW does good work!

TrollerDave
07-19-2007, 10:01 PM
Did you have to take the boat of the trailer or can they do it there? When did you have the work done? I'm need to do the same.
Thanks

desertbird
07-20-2007, 08:28 AM
What are ya'll doing with your boats while the trailer gets the refurb?

DaddyMack
07-20-2007, 08:43 AM
I left mine on the trailer for the most part....
The bunks only took a few hours to do.. so I did that at the marina and just left boat tied up to courtesy dock. For the paint I left he boat in the water at the dock for a week. pretty easy really.
:)

craiginlaverne
07-20-2007, 11:08 AM
Pacific Boat trailers in Chino. 909 902 0094. They do refurbs as well as new. Can change your leaf springs over to torsions and convert to disc brakes if you want. Also, they do full boat trailer service.

bigkyle
07-20-2007, 11:09 AM
Did you have to take the boat of the trailer or can they do it there? When did you have the work done? I'm need to do the same.
Thanks
Extreme lifted the boat off my trailer and set it on one of theirs while they worked my trailer. I had the work done probably 5 years ago or so.