PDA

View Full Version : More Gore-pocricy

SmokinLowriderSS
07-18-2007, 03:18 PM
The Chillean Sea Bass, aka the Patagonian Toothfish, a seriously endangered species (according to the Endangered Fish Alliance among others), is supposedly being overfished, and at least 50% of the annual harvest is poached (harvested illegally).
Now, the exact status of the fish is in dispute. According to the above source "Pirate fishing fleets that disregard fishing limits are illegally catching this fish from Antarctica. Unless people stop eating Chilean sea bass, it may be commercially extinct within five years.", Chefs all over the US are refusing to serve it, several other "environmental-friendly" groups echo it's endangered "status". Perhaps "hyped claim" would be a better word.
From the U.S. Dept. of State and Commerce: "Is Chilean sea bass an endangered species? No."
It IS difficult to manage, fetching very high prices. In 2000, 16,000 pounds were harvested legally. it is POSSIBLE 2x that was taken illegally.
Sounds kind of like Global Warming. :idea:
Now, the connection. :D
The Algore's youngest daughter, Sarah Gore, 28, married businessman Bill Lee in Beverly Hills on Saturday.
What was dined upon at the reception by aproximately 75 guests?
Chillean Sea Bass. :jawdrop: :idea:

eliminatedsprinter
07-18-2007, 04:14 PM
The Chillean Sea Bass, aka the Patagonian Toothfish, a seriously endangered species (according to the Endangered Fish Alliance among others), is supposedly being overfished, and at least 50% of the annual harvest is poached (harvested illegally).
Now, the exact status of the fish is in dispute. According to the above source "Pirate fishing fleets that disregard fishing limits are illegally catching this fish from Antarctica. Unless people stop eating Chilean sea bass, it may be commercially extinct within five years.", Chefs all over the US are refusing to serve it, several other "environmental-friendly" groups echo it's endangered "status". Perhaps "hyped claim" would be a better word.
From the U.S. Dept. of State and Commerce: "Is Chilean sea bass an endangered species? No."
It IS difficult to manage, fetching very high prices. In 2000, 16,000 pounds were harvested legally. it is POSSIBLE 2x that was taken illegally.
The Algore's youngest daughter, Sarah Gore, 28, married businessman Bill Lee in Beverly Hills on Saturday.
They were going to serve Snowy Owl, but Tipper hates poultry and Al needs fish to help keep his cholesterol down.;)

centerhill condor
07-18-2007, 05:17 PM
...these were lake caught chilean sea bass...why they jump in the boat at center hill lake!
Celocanth, now there's a tastee one!

SmokinLowriderSS
07-18-2007, 07:45 PM
They were going to serve Snowy Owl, but Tipper hates poultry and Al needs fish to help keep his cholesterol down.
I could have had barn or horned owl some years ago as I got buzzed by one once while out deer hunting. Was really cool and he passed over my head after circling me once looking me over low enough that I heard the wind in his feathers, and for an owl, that's damn LOW. :eek: If I had just poked my rifle barrel straight up, he'd have hit it. I was sitting in a camping chair on the ground behind an evergreen tree.
Ahhhh the things you are blessed to see in nature being a hunter. That was a great start to a beautiful day not at work. :)
Don't remember if I got a deer that day or not. Doesn't mater as it was a great day off of work. :)
Prolly woulda tasted like chicken. :D

Old Texan
07-21-2007, 11:05 PM
Al countered the 75 fish on the menu by having 10,000 carp fry released into the upper MS River........:devil:

Baja Big Dog
07-22-2007, 09:44 AM
Yea, I heard they delivered the bass in a Prius...and it was fresh since it was delivered at over 100 MPH, sprinkled with a dab pot, and viola..."Pot Bass".:D