PDA

View Full Version : Hull Recommendation

Desert68
07-18-2007, 08:40 PM
A brief intro. I’m fairly new to these forums and I’ve been trying to learn about boats. I have narrowed it down to a jet boat for a number of reasons. I do not remember if it was in the Jets or V-Drive forum, but I recently read a posting by a gentleman that mentioned “reaching his hand in the water to cool off” and he also talked about restoring older hulls such as Sangers or Hondos – sorry I don’t remember the poster’s ‘name’. I’m that kind of guy, I enjoyed that posting and that’s what I’m interested in doing. Not high dollar, not a shoestring budget, but a middle of the road project with thought and effort and I’m a hands on person. As far as style, classic lines, clean and understated.
Here’s my question. What type of hull for a lake boat? No true competition intentions. I live in the Phoenix area and most likely the majority of time would be at Lake Pleasant and also some Bartlett Lake and Saguaro Lake – mainly one day stuff. I do not need room for a family as my kids are grown – 4 or 5 people max would be fine, but more than two. I have been doing some research and one thing I have found with these boats is an awful lot of the info is in people’s heads. I’ve been a car guy forever and I have a modest amount of documentation/books/junk/knowledge of hot rods, mild drag racing and musclecars, but I can not find anything on these type boats. I’ve read threads on flatbottoms versus runner bottoms and I’m pretty sure I do not want a flatbottom - handling/control/ride. I still do not know what makes a boat a bubbledeck or a T-deck, etc. I also know I do not want a “300 lb hull” or an ex hard-core drag boat. I also do not want heft (I carry enough of that!). I’m pretty sure I don't want anything longer than 19 or 20 feet. I do want something that can move well if you stick your foot in it – I enjoy spirited performance. It’s been a number of years, but I used to spend some time at the lakes and I do know what Lake Pleasant can be like as far as not so smooth and the reality is that’s most likely where I’d be the most – I live in Glendale.
Sorry for the long rant, but I thought it might help narrow things down and also show I have been trying to do my homework. I’ve been putting together a list of manufacturers and the count is currently at 26 and that’s one big reason for this posting – there’s so many choices. One thing I have learned in life is the more you know, the more you realize how little you truly know. Any and all input welcome and appreciated and I thank you in advance. I promise future questions will be more brief and I hope I can contribute some useful information.

pw_Tony
07-18-2007, 08:46 PM
Lol sounds like you've been reading the V-Drive forms to much:devil:
Stay away from the dark side:D
For all around use, boating and hauling ass, I've had this discussion too many times. Ag ullwing TX-19 would probably be a good boat. Enough room, decent ride, and a haul ass camabilities. I'm sure the other guys will Chime in soon.

Desert68
07-18-2007, 08:53 PM
I apologize for what I'm sure is a well worn topic. If someone could point me to an archive, that would be great. Would the Search function serve my purposes?
A TX-19 is a Texas Tunnel, yes? I should mention that while I really like the idea of a nod to the past, there is something about CP hulls that does interest me.

pw_Tony
07-18-2007, 09:08 PM
I'm pretty sure they're the same thing, maybe I'm getting the 18 mixed with the 19. Either way is a Gullwing. CP also known as. I have some pics maybe I can dig them up to see what they look like.

pw_Tony
07-18-2007, 09:08 PM
Here yah go.
http://i18.tinypic.com/4p2vosh.jpg

Desert68
07-18-2007, 09:15 PM
Would I get beat to death with something like a CP hull at Lake Pleasant? I want something I can use, even if it means a compromise in performance. I just don't want a big, heavy boat. It isn't going to have 1000 HP, but it isn't going to be 400 HP, either.

BUSBY
07-18-2007, 09:38 PM
t-deck ( a cut out deck so your legs don't hit it if you get pitched out):
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/1/61426142colechillin.jpg
bubble deck ( where the deck has a "bubble" in it ):
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/834anna6-06_75.jpg
or:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1653Hallett_2.jpg

BUSBY
07-18-2007, 09:39 PM
that t-deck Cole is for sale & is a good all around ride ... at a great price ...
The bubble deck boats are great riding boats as well ...

pw_Tony
07-18-2007, 09:52 PM
I play with my Pops hondo T-Deck all the time... out of some of the hulls I've been in at speed they feel like one of the most comforting hulls, as in you don't feel nervous, and they handle chop exceptionally well at speed (they do kinda beat you up at slow speeds though) just more reason to keep your foot in it;)

Josh-TSG
07-19-2007, 07:09 AM
Hey Desert......I'm in the same "boat" as you......looking for my first boat project. A boat that will be quick but still have room for the wife and kids. And one we can tube/wakeboard behind....basically an all around hotrod boat.....hahaha!
I like v-drives too, but they're mostly all two seaters with flat bottoms (and more $$$)....
I think a jet boat would fill my needs best, as well as yours....
I've searched and asked for info on hulls as well, but still learning which one's to stay away from.
Just hang out here, read all you can....I've learned alot so far......:)
Alot of good folks here in the jet section, so if ya got a question, just ask!:D

moneysucker
07-19-2007, 08:49 AM
I would say a 19-21 eliminator daytona or TPR would be a good way to go. 19s have very little in the way of room in the back seat. I am looking more toward a 21 now. the ride will be a lot better than a v bottom and you will have a lot of the performance aspects and not some of the ill handling charactoristics that some other tunnels share such as hopping in turns or a low speed slapping the water such as my southwind tunnel dragster.
The 18 southwind is a fun boat and a good design, Sanger builds a nice bubble deck as well that I have built and they handle well and take a little chop.

BUSBY
07-19-2007, 08:59 AM
A tunnel rides great, but you'd need a 21 to turn @ speed ...
for a first jet, I'd go with a Sanger/Hallet/Eliminator/whatever bubble deck, great all around river/lake hot rod ...
If you could find a 21 Daytona & it's in the price range ... that would be a great choice as well ...

Sleeper CP
07-19-2007, 09:03 AM
The 19' open bow gullwing is hard to beat. Will seat 8 adults
if need be.
21' Daytona good choice, how about a 21' Ultra Stealth.
Sleeper CP

Desert68
07-19-2007, 09:10 AM
Thanks for all the info - much appreciated!

moneysucker
07-19-2007, 09:15 AM
I forgot about the Hallett, My brother had one and it was a great boat and has more interior room than the majority of boats I have seen.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/riv7-5002.jpg

SHAWNINATOR
07-19-2007, 09:19 AM
my first boat which I still own is my 1980 18' eliminator bubble deck. hauls ass up and down the river. Gets a little beat up on the lake when the cruise liners come out. But all in all its a rad boat.
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e292/SHAWNINATOR/SANDBAR.jpg

Gearhead
07-19-2007, 09:32 AM
I like the Eliminators, TPRs, CP's, Cheyennes, etc. :) But when it comes down to an all around performance, handling, lake, race and family boat.... it is really hard to beat a gullwing regardless of brand.
Youngblood was the originator and the "gullwing" comes through the lineage of the Esquire, Southwind and Apollo. And we all know how many different companies have constructed gullwings in the TX-19 or a TX-19 derivative.
I have one friend in our are that runs a TX-19, full lake weight with large seating, engine cover and swimstep... complete with anchor and ski's and his family rides all over the lake and then he or his daughter will hook up with most anybody. He has his setup perfected and the boat will run a 10 second around 100 anytime and then in the 8's around 115 with nitrous. It is hard to believe the overall use and performance of this boat. I've ridden with him 15 miles up the river and back then pull over and race someone and yes he wins more than his share of the races.
Of course I do have my biases, but I believe the TX-19 style boat is one of the best all around hulls ever constructed and this is proven by there are still a handful of companies that produce the same boat today that was conceived in the mid 1970's. And I don't even own one.... I own the second best! :)
You can see how poular they are in the Central states by visiting the youngbloodjetboats.com website, then selecting Jetboat Outings and then scroll down to July 4th, 2007 pictures.... The gullwings definately took the show by numbers.
Gearhead

ck7684
07-19-2007, 10:26 AM
...or you could look into the Glastron Carlsons if you're not looking to build an exposed engine OT header speed demon. My friend has a 19ft one and they are a great all-around boat and look great too. There is a dedicated web site for these as they are quite popular...
I love my GMC Cobrajet, but they are hard to find in decent shape, and being a Wisc. company there probly arent any near you...

ck7684
07-19-2007, 10:27 AM
...or you could look into the Glastron Carlsons if you're not looking to build an exposed engine OT header speed demon. My friend has a 19ft one and they are a great all-around boat and look great too. There is a dedicated web site for these as they are quite popular...
I love my GMC Cobrajet, but they are hard to find in decent shape, and being a Wisc. company there probly arent any near you...

IMPATIENT 1
07-19-2007, 01:55 PM
I apologize for what I'm sure is a well worn topic. If someone could point me to an archive, that would be great. Would the Search function serve my purposes?
A TX-19 is a Texas Tunnel, yes? I should mention that while I really like the idea of a nod to the past, there is something about CP hulls that does interest me.
ya can't beat a tx-19 hull . they ride sweet, plus haul arse:D plenty of room for 5-6people too. my tx-19 has more interior room than my taylor sj did.

Twins+one
07-19-2007, 07:51 PM
I would have to agree with the gullwing type bottom. It can be set up to be a great all-around boat. Enough room for the family, but will get up and run when you want it to. I think Budlight on here is making new hulls. My 1st1/2 choice would be a 20 Hallett closed bow or the Cole Superhawk that is in the spam section. Pleasent gets nasty so if I were new to boating I would want something with a little more freeeboard. But if you know what you are doing the Gullwind type hull would be a great choice. All come with jets. The gullwing type hull will be the faster of the three I have listed.