PDA

View Full Version : Passport help

Konabrent
07-18-2007, 09:06 PM
Anyone know how to pull any passport strings?
We are supposed to leave for Puerta Vallarta next week and our fine Government agency f-up our passports. They now say that they can't get them to us and we can't go without them. We cant even get a printout of our status because they f-up our names so even if they did , we couldn't use them because of the wrong spelling (not even close) Oh yeah, we applied for them in May!
I called the automated line to the L.A. office for an appt in person and the line says that they have no appts. available....ever

H2O
07-18-2007, 09:22 PM
The requirement for passports to Mexico has been temporarily waived.
Travel Advisory: Due to the recent backlog in issuing passports, the U.S. government announced that U.S. citizens traveling to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda may depart and enter the U.S. with proof of application for a U.S. passport. Passengers must have all required entry documents for the destination and any connecting countries in addition to the proof of passport application. This exemption is valid until September 30, 2007. More information on these passport requirement exceptions is available online.

Devil's Advocate
07-18-2007, 09:33 PM
We applied in April. Still waiting on ours.:squiggle:

moneypit
07-18-2007, 09:38 PM
If you have a receipt of application, you should be fine. The only way that you will get a passport is to go down there and sit in line the day before departure (with your travel documents) and they will issue a passport. I just had a friend do this to go to Cabo. You have to get in line first thing. You WILL be there all day.
They were only taking people who were flying out the next day. You will never get a straight answer over the phone or the same answer for that matter.. good luck.

Eliminator 4 Life
07-18-2007, 09:41 PM
The requirement for passports to Mexico has been temporarily waived.
Travel Advisory: Due to the recent backlog in issuing passports, the U.S. government announced that U.S. citizens traveling to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda may depart and enter the U.S. with proof of application for a U.S. passport. Passengers must have all required entry documents for the destination and any connecting countries in addition to the proof of passport application. This exemption is valid until September 30, 2007. More information on these passport requirement exceptions is available online.
This is true just have a birth certificate recorded from the county in which u were born

Konabrent
07-18-2007, 10:03 PM
They told us the proof of application must be an online tracking email.....but the name is misspelled so it wont work. Had to send birth certificates in with application (and they still screwed up the names) so we have no certified birth certificates. We just found all of this out tonight so not enough time and they told us " no passport..no go..no exceptions"
gotta love where our tax money goes
Believe me, we were on the phone for a very long time with the passport agency and got nowhere

shrek
07-18-2007, 10:11 PM
They told us the proof of application must be an online tracking email.....but the name is misspelled so it wont work. Had to send birth certificates in with application (and they still screwed up the names) so we have no certified birth certificates. We just found all of this out tonight so not enough time and they told us " no passport..no go..no exceptions"
gotta love where our tax money goes
Believe me, we were on the phone for a very long time with the passport agency and got nowhere
You can get a certified Birth Certificate in 24hrs.........there are alot of places on the internet that provide that service.......it will cost you, but they will do it.
Shrek

HBjet
07-18-2007, 10:49 PM
You might want to try this.
http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_R_passport22.41931bd.html
Also, I heard of a story where Americans flew to Mexico (on Delta I think) and they went with just showing their receipt. They got to Mexico with no problem, but trying to come back to America was a different story and they were stuck there for another 3 days until getting back home. Oh, and the passports they did not have were for their children both under 10 years old I believe. I will look for the story.
HB

Havasteve
07-19-2007, 10:17 AM
Passport services will not accept a Hospital issued birth cert. Has to be one from the county of birth. www.vitalchek.com will send one in 3-5 days for $25.
Fees went up June 23 07 I'm doing Expedited service with overnight delivery for $143.25 + $30 for passport
I went to the courthouse in havasu, they keep telling me it will be on time, I'll have to wait and see.
Bound for the West Bank end of August. I'm worried about getting it ontime.

jdogginla
07-19-2007, 11:14 AM
pm me and i can forward along a companies info. Recently got a passport for a relative in 4 days. The company is in Beverly Hills and the cost to expedite it was $400.00 Not sure how they do it or what strings they have but it was ready when they said it would be. You need to take a photo with you.

Miss Perfect
07-19-2007, 11:38 AM
I am assuming that you are flying via Aeromexico. If that's the case, could you change your flight so you depart from Tijuana? You don't need a passport to walk across the border and it looks like you live in San Diego.
I'm not sure if this would actually work or not, but theoretically it seems possible. :idea:

My Man's Sportin' Wood
07-19-2007, 12:45 PM
This directly from the state dept website. I'd print a copy, take your reciept that you applied (the one they gave you back when you applied, since you can't print the online one), and photo identification. Keep them all together.
I just went over the border of Canada with my certificate and the kids passports. No problem. I wasn't even born here, but I had my citizenship papers and had no issues, though I was a little concerned.
Here's the article from the State Dept:
The U.S. Departments of State and Homeland Security announced Friday, June 8, that U.S. citizens traveling to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or countries in the Caribbean region, who have applied for, but not yet received passports, can re-enter the United States by air. This accommodation does not mean that Americans are exempt from meeting the entry requirements of Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or countries in the Caribbean region, some of which require a passport, certified birth certificate, or other evidence of citizenship for entry.
We have reached out to the governments of countries affected by WHTI to consult with them about our announcement. Many of them have agreed to take a flexible approach toward their own entry requirements. For the most current information on entry requirements at their destination, travelers should contact their airline.
U.S. citizens traveling to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or countries in the Caribbean region who have applied for, but not yet received passports, can re-enter the United States by air by presentation of a government issued photo identification and Department of State official proof of application for a passport through September 30, 2007. The federal government is making this accommodation for air travel due to longer than expected processing times for passport applications in the face of record-breaking demand.
The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) was mandated by Congress in the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 to strengthen border security and facilitate entry into the United States for citizens and legitimate international visitors. WHTI requirements for air travel took effect on January 23, 2007.
Adults who have applied for but not yet received a passport should present government-issued photo identification and an official proof of application from the U.S. Department of State. Children under the age of 16 traveling with their parents or legal guardian will be permitted to travel with the child’s proof of application status. Children traveling alone should carry a copy of their birth certificate, baptismal record or a hospital record of birth in the United States in addition to their passport application status documentation. This accommodation applies to all American citizens who apply for passports, until September 30, when this accommodation period ends. U.S. citizens with pending passport applications can obtain proof of application at: http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/status/status_2567.html.
Since implementation, U.S. Customs and Border Protection has and will continue to exercise its current authorities in unique circumstances to allow individuals subject to the WHTI requirements into the United States based on other evidence of identity and citizenship.
Travel document security remains a top priority for the U.S. Government. Both the 9/11 Commission and the U.S. Congress urged strengthening of travel documents to prevent entry of terrorists across our borders, reduce use of fraudulent documents, and speed up entry procedures.
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

Ziggy
07-19-2007, 12:54 PM
I read an article in the newspaper about a week ago saying the backlog was created by the initial need for travel to Mexico.............LOL, and they're sorry for the delay for passport requests....as if that helps anyone.

RitcheyRch
07-21-2007, 05:24 PM
News report said that the State Dept issued 475K passports this week nationwide. They also said brining back retirees to help with the backload.

Konabrent
07-22-2007, 11:13 AM
Mr FedEx showed up at my door 8AM Saturday with my Passport. The Passport people must have finally realized who I am.......that and 3 hours of bitching on the phone!
Sorry wifey, only mine came!....I'll bring you a t shirt

socalmoney
07-22-2007, 11:18 AM
So our wonderful govt can't even process passport renewals. Imagine them trying to process 20 million new Americans if Bush got his way.