PDA

View Full Version : Turlock Lake

BAE_557
07-19-2007, 06:07 AM
Has anybody gone to Turlock Lake recently, if so, are they still hot boat friendly? I have recently heard that they do allow open exhaust.
Many years ago that was the place to go for hot boats and sanctioned drag boat races.

Familycat
07-19-2007, 06:16 AM
We have a group of friends that go to Turlock, many with very loud exhaust. No issues with sound. Usually only a few boats on the lake, even on a holiday weekend. Water is a little cold.
Rick

Itsahobby
07-19-2007, 06:45 AM
Don't know if it is like this all the time but, the last time I camped there we were overrun by Farm workers in the campground. If you like Mariachi music, all night long, you'll be fine. Oh, and people walking through your campsite day and night.
If you have not been there, the campground is a couple of miles from the lake.
I only have been there once, though.:rolleyes:

bahner454
07-19-2007, 06:52 AM
I was at Modesto last weekend, water was hella low. A few others with jet boats were packing it up to go to Turlock; they said it was nice lake and Header friendly. I may be going for the first time this weekend to check it out now that Modesto is a little to low for my taste. They said the main draw back at Turlock was No Beer allowed at the lake.

LandSpeedRacer
07-19-2007, 07:05 AM
So is Modesto really a crater? I was thinking about towing down there this weekend . . . . .

BAE_557
07-19-2007, 07:16 AM
I stopped by Modesto Res a few nights ago, the water is very low, I wouldn't run there. Looks like Turlock Lake or Woodward Res might be the place to go.

bahner454
07-20-2007, 07:07 AM
Is anyone going this weekend if so what day?

BAE_557
07-20-2007, 09:05 AM
We have a group of friends that go to Turlock, many with very loud exhaust. No issues with sound. Usually only a few boats on the lake, even on a holiday weekend. Water is a little cold.
Rick
Thanks for the input.
I have been hearing conflicting stories about Turlock, some say it's a go while others say it's a no go.
I took a short trip to Turlock Lake last night to see the condition of the lake, the lake was full, didn't see any cops. Maybe as of late things have returned to the old days out there.
Has anybody else been there recently besides Rick with open exhaust?

BAE_557
07-20-2007, 09:08 AM
Is anyone going this weekend if so what day?
Do you plan to go with open exhaust?
If you go this weekend, could you tell us how it went?

bahner454
07-20-2007, 11:11 AM
Yes , open exhaust but I will keep the baffles in the boat just in case .
I will let U know how it goes.

HighVoltage 329
07-20-2007, 04:19 PM
I've been going there for many years, since the days the drags were there and haven't had a problem with noise. I'll be there the weekend of 7-28 staying at the campground. I usually head for the back of the lake where the rangers don't bother about cocktails or noise. I recommend being cool near the launch area. I think the rangers are the same ones that cover Modesto Res. It would be great to see more Hot Boats there like the old days.

BAE_557
07-23-2007, 09:23 AM
Any updates from Turlock over the weekend

BAE_557
07-26-2007, 12:01 PM
I and a few others are planning on going out there soon, I just wanted to get as much current information possible regarding loud and fast boats being allowed on the lake.
Thanks,
-William

bahner454
07-27-2007, 08:34 AM
Sorry, no update yet. I was not able to make the trip last weekend.:( I will however be going this Sunday AM. I will provide an update early next week. I did talk to the ranger and was told No speed limit and headers were not an issue.
Dennis

BAE_557
08-05-2007, 09:44 PM
I just received an update from a friend who went to Turlock Lake today, the cops told him that he needed mufflers to run there.
People have posted different information, are thre certain days when open exhaust is allowed?

BlueNun
08-05-2007, 10:23 PM
Lake McClure and Pedro are still pretty friendly. If you are running water thru your headers they figure at least you are making the effort and leave you alone for the most part. Tiny Lake Yosemite doesn't mind at all for just a little runaround lake. They have nice shady picknick areas to.

Heatseeker
08-05-2007, 10:54 PM
William, did you talk to Blueboat today? If not, give him a call.
Be careful out there!

BAE_557
08-06-2007, 07:17 AM
William, did you talk to Blueboat today? If not, give him a call.
Be careful out there!
John,
Sorry to hear about your cousin, Blue Boat told me last night, I really hope all goes well.
Glad to hear Ric was wearing his Lifeline jacket.
-William

BAE_557
08-06-2007, 07:25 AM
Lake McClure and Pedro are still pretty friendly. If you are running water thru your headers they figure at least you are making the effort and leave you alone for the most part. Tiny Lake Yosemite doesn't mind at all for just a little runaround lake. They have nice shady picknick areas to.
I am not too sure about McClure but I know that Don Pedro will not allow it.
I am curious about Lake Yosemite, when was the last time you were there?

BlueNun
08-06-2007, 07:32 PM
We were Yosemite last weekend. It's suoer small but it does the job for a day.
I have some buddies that were at Pedro with no problems the last 2 weeks

BAE_557
08-06-2007, 10:30 PM
We were Yosemite last weekend. It's suoer small but it does the job for a day.
I have some buddies that were at Pedro with no problems the last 2 weeks
Is Yosemite Lake cool with open zoomies and no speed limit?
What part of Don Pedro were they at?

Heatseeker
08-06-2007, 10:59 PM
I seriously doubt you could get away with zoomies @ Don Pedro. I've seen the sheriff there hassle people with baffled headers in the past. They even told my cousin's son that hydros weren't allowed on the lake(which is total BS!)when he was just cruising his out to the houseboat!

BlueNun
08-07-2007, 12:52 PM
I guess it just differs from day to day out there. I was readin about a Hydro that sank at Pedro on Sunday so they must have left him alone. I will run out to Lake Yosemite today and ask if they are still the same as they have always been. Everytime I am out there I see jets runnin dry without any probs.

Heatseeker
08-07-2007, 05:00 PM
The hydro that sunk(it actually broke apart Friday on a 110 mph WFO pass) was my cousin Ric's. He is still unconscious at Doctor's Hospital in Modesto.
Hydros aren't "not allowed" on the lake, the cops were just being jerks because he was a young kid and his hydro had open headers. Ric's hydro had both baffles and GBH mufflers on it. He's been running it up there since he got it about 5 or 6 years ago. He ran his race hydro up there back in the late 70's and early 80's without a prob, but those days are long gone. The money has moved in up there.

BAE_557
08-08-2007, 06:11 AM
Sorry, no update yet. I was not able to make the trip last weekend.:( I will however be going this Sunday AM. I will provide an update early next week. I did talk to the ranger and was told No speed limit and headers were not an issue.
Dennis
Dennis,
Just wondering how things went at Turlock last weekend.
-William

BAE_557
08-10-2007, 09:11 PM
Does anybody else have something to add about Turlock Lake?

BlueNun
08-10-2007, 09:56 PM
BAE did u get my emails??

bahner454
08-13-2007, 07:17 AM
Turns out Turlock is ok with OT headers; but not unless you are running Water & baffles!! The ranger gave me a warning and was told to run baffles or to leave. I ended up at Modesto and was able to run open headers all day with NO issues. A couple V Drive guys were recommending McClure as a much bigger lake and able to run just about anything with no issues from Johnny Law.
Hope that helps.
Dennis

yomama
08-13-2007, 10:21 AM
Is Turlock's ski beach still intact? I haven't been down that way in years. Many good times back in the day ....

bocco
08-13-2007, 01:11 PM
The hydro that sunk(it actually broke apart Friday on a 110 mph WFO pass) was my cousin Ric's. He is still unconscious at Doctor's Hospital in Modesto.
John,
I didn't realize that was your cousin that wrecked. Really sorry to hear that. Hope he comes out of it OK.
Did he catch big wake to break the boat apart?
Gary

Heatseeker
08-13-2007, 08:29 PM
Gary, from what I've heard, he ran into a cross wind and some minor rollers at the same time. The boat came up and then back down and broke up. Of course I wasn't there so I really don't know the details...
I visited today and he's still out of it. His eyes are open, but he isn't moving. When I told him to wake the flock up because we're all tired of that damn hospital, his brain pressure monitor went nuts, so I'm hoping he's hearing us and knowing that we're all there for him. He'll be transported to Redwood City Kaiser(closer to home, he lives in Fremont) by week's end. The doctors say it's all up to his brain healing in it's own time now.
Sorry for the thread jacking BAE.

BAE_557
08-13-2007, 09:42 PM
Gary, from what I've heard, he ran into a cross wind and some minor rollers at the same time. The boat came up and then back down and broke up. Of course I wasn't there so I really don't know the details...
I visited today and he's still out of it. His eyes are open, but he isn't moving. When I told him to wake the flock up because we're all tired of that damn hospital, his brain pressure monitor went nuts, so I'm hoping he's hearing us and knowing that we're all there for him. He'll be transported to Redwood City Kaiser(closer to home, he lives in Fremont) by week's end. The doctors say it's all up to his brain healing in it's own time now.
Sorry for the thread jacking BAE.
John,
Don't worry about the thread hi-jacking, posting Ric's updates are much more important.
-William