PDA

View Full Version : Canyon Marine/canyon Boats

HOWARD UFH
07-19-2007, 09:11 AM
I Was Wondering The Differance Between A Canyon Marine Hull And A Canyon Boats Hull. Wasnt Canyon Marine The Mold That Mettler And Carter Reed Had? Or Are They The Same?

TAF
07-19-2007, 12:42 PM
Jetboatguru might know or call Kevin Felkins of Lodi, CA if you're really interested in buying a new one.

adjones419
07-19-2007, 12:46 PM
I thought Canyon Boats has always been the boat hulls, and Canyon Marine is Dan Aaseth's parts business.

Carnivalride
07-19-2007, 12:55 PM
I thought Canyon Boats has always been the boat hulls, and Canyon Marine is Dan Aaseth's parts business.
Dan sell's hulls as well but I forget what he said they were but they are not the Canyon hull that Mettler used to build.

Retired flatbottom racer
07-19-2007, 01:33 PM
Canyon Marine was the name of Mettlers Company and his mold. Carter Reed purchased the mold from him and built some boats. Mettler ended up getting the mold back and built Canyon Kraft boats. Felkins purchased the mold and now builds Canyon Boats. All the same mold. Dan Aaseth's, Canyon Marine is a total different company.

Lookin for Liquid
07-19-2007, 03:44 PM
let me try to clear this up before it goes too far for everyone. Canyon Marine was indeed owned by Wayne Mettler in Canyon Country who eventually moved to Santa Paula and then sold it to Carter Read who moved on into Ultra sales and lost interest in building flatbottoms. I purchased the name Canyon Marine along with the original mold (which I still have) in 1993 and reopened the shop 2 doors from where Wayne had it in Canyon Country. With all the abundance of used race boats and the interest leaning more towards family boats the shop itself was shut down eventually. I contnue to do business as the original Canyon Marine and cater to people generally in need of installation and fabricated type parts on a sales level.
I will refrain on commenting on how Canyon Boats was started but it does happen quite frequently in the boat building business.......
Thanks
Dan Aaseth

Cole Man II
07-19-2007, 07:21 PM
Dan,
Lets not be too hard on Kevin here, the way you have described it, it sounds like neither you or Kevin should be calling your boats Canyons. That would be like me buying a Cole mold, building boats and marketing it as a Cole. Even if I built a better boat than Jim ever did, that still would not make it a Cole because Cole didn’t build it. Even if Wayne himself taught you how to lay up a boat just the way he did them in the past, these boats should still be called “Boats by Dan or Kevin”. If the boats need to have the name recognition to sell they should be called Canyon equivalents. If you or Kevin build enough winning boats, and have enough satisfied customers, in time you could build an equal or even greater reputation than Canyon ever had.
Craig.

Carnivalride
07-19-2007, 07:22 PM
lI purchased the name Canyon Marine along with the original mold (which I still have) in 1993 and reopened the shop 2 doors from where Wayne had it in Canyon Country.
Thanks
Dan Aaseth
Dan
I guess I miss understood but when I talked with you a couple of years ago while ordering some parts I thought you told me that you were not building Canyon runner bottoms? I don't remember wether it was Dimarco or what but I would almost swear you told me that the flats you were building or selling were NOT Canyons. So I take it there as at least another Canyon mold and what runner bottom do you build or sell?
Thanks,
Loren

Marty Gras
07-19-2007, 08:35 PM
Dan, it's funny how YOU paid for the name and inventory, then someone else just "moves in"! Could there have been MULTIPLE DEALS for the same rights? Who really knows? I told you way back, play with your race boats, but make your money on Hi-po family cruisers. The race boats always took too much time and effort VS the money brought in. Building fast blown V-drive cruisers for CASH PAYING CUSTOMERS, is way more simple (and cost effective). YES! Personal satisfaction in making your friends GO FAST is great, but paying the rent is more important. "Craig", whom ever OWNS the DOT registered VIN for Canyon Boats would be the legal owner and able to build under that name. The only problem I have found is that "Canyon Boats" are listed as the (former) Phoenix Az. builder of tunnel deck boats. (NADA) Did Wayne ever register the brand name? (or did he use Ralph's VIN #s?) I feel that the real deal is "who's boat will do the job for YOU?" I don't know Kevin, probably a great guy. I do know Dan and we go way back, he could call his boats "POS by DAN" and they would still run faster, straighter, and live longer, than most others. Some guys put their money in advertizing the product, others put their money IN THE PRODUCT! Dan is "barefoot and pregnant" all the time, because he puts the money (effort) in the boat, not in his pocket. Dan, I now just want to say that "Jack Davis is YOUR BUDDY!". George

Cole Man II
07-19-2007, 11:05 PM
Marty Gras,
Regardless what they are called, I guess I should just be glad that guys like Dan and Kevin are still willing to build these types of boats.
Craig.

TAF
07-20-2007, 05:33 AM
I Was Wondering The Differance Between A Canyon Marine Hull And A Canyon Boats Hull. Wasnt Canyon Marine The Mold That Mettler And Carter Reed Had? Or Are They The Same?
Why did you want to know? Are you really interested in buying one, new or used, or just stirring up :eek: :confused: :idea:
:D
I was not aware that there was a Canyon boat story that rivaled Coles and its copies. :sqeyes: :confused: :idea: Were the Syndicate boats done in the same Canyon Country shop / building way back too?
If any one didn't know Kevin's old white boat won the IHBA TAF championship last year and broke the class's ET record 5 or more times in IHBA, NJBA and SDBA. Many factors were involved but the boat was one of 'em. NJBA record may not have been backed up though.
I know cause I was there.

BA Kurtis
07-20-2007, 05:50 AM
Marty Gras,
Regardless what they are called, I guess I should just be glad that guys like Dan and Kevin are still willing to build these types of boats.
Craig.
AMEN to that:D Dan is a great guy to deal with and fair on is price's

WHITIE
07-20-2007, 07:00 AM
AMEN to that:D Dan is a great guy to deal with and fair on is price's
FYI... for all of you that dont know Kevin Felkins he is also a stand up guy just trying to make a dollar like the rest of us. He would do anything for you. I have a Carter Reed Canyon and my brother has a Canyon built by Felkins, both are great flat bottoms.
Dale Pinckney

Sangster
07-20-2007, 07:54 AM
Yeeeee-Hawwww for the flatbottom guys...:D

FLYTE RISK
07-20-2007, 08:00 AM
FYI... for all of you that dont know Kevin Felkins he is also a stand up guy just trying to make a dollar like the rest of us. He would do anything for you. I have a Carter Reed Canyon and my brother has a Canyon built by Felkins, both are great flat bottoms.
Dale Pinckney
And both yours and your brothers and Bt273 and mine and heart attack and whiplash and Dago Red and Back In Black and Blo Me, Butchess Amstuts and Fools paradise are all from the same mold and share the same birth defects as we have seen.;) :)

Kindsvater Flat
07-20-2007, 08:07 AM
And both yours and your brothers and Bt273 and mine and heart attack and whiplash and Dago Red and Back In Black and Blo Me, Butchess Amstuts and Fools paradise are all from the same mold and share the same birth defects as we have seen.;) :)
I thought BT273's problem was the driver?:D

469 the coyote
07-20-2007, 07:30 PM
That is the best thing I have heard in a long time!!!!!!!!!!!! And yes the yellow boat needs a new driver!!!!!!
I thought BT273's problem was the driver?:D

HIRED GUN
07-20-2007, 08:44 PM
469 get off the psca page buying motors and build your own!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

Monkey Bung
07-21-2007, 05:02 AM
Now if thats not calling the kettle black!:eek:

469 the coyote
07-21-2007, 08:58 AM
I did built my own. Have a buddy that needs one. Lots of good deals over there.

HIRED GUN
07-21-2007, 11:38 AM
I did built my own. Have a buddy that needs one. Lots of good deals over there.
NO NOT OVER THERE!....THAT SITE DONT EXIST!!:jawdrop:

Bt273
07-21-2007, 12:27 PM
That is the best thing I have heard in a long time!!!!!!!!!!!! And yes the yellow boat needs a new driver!!!!!!
Jealousy will get you now where there rocky,didn't you just pick a motor up in az? will it be at lake ming sept.? or will there be another dilemma? come on se champ you can't go back to that class,your mom is too consistent for you,and she is doing an awesome job by the way,quit the excuses and bring that thing out!!!!

Jetboatguru
07-21-2007, 03:48 PM
Jealousy will get you now where there rocky,didn't you just pick a motor up in az? will it be at lake ming sept.? or will there be another dilemma? come on se champ you can't go back to that class,your mom is too consistent for you,and she is doing an awesome job by the way,quit the excuses and bring that thing out!!!!
Dude, did BT273 just throw the "Your mom will kick your ass card" at you Lester? Those are fightin words! And from what I heard about you in Oregon, you may want to take the high road.:boxingguy :boxingguy

469 the coyote
07-22-2007, 11:00 AM
Iam sooooo not worried!!!!!! Yes my tune up and teaching are pay'n off with my mom. It is great to see her do good. We are only 500 points out of first and are going to make a hard charge at the championship. As far as the rumors from oregon. NOT TRUE. I love what people think they saw or think they heard. It is great!!! And yes jimmy we will be in bako!!!!

BenchRacer
07-22-2007, 09:55 PM
Are you refering to the TAF Back in Black owned by Greg & Julie Jones?
If so this boat is 100% Cole its not a Canyon

PE 316
07-23-2007, 09:55 AM
Benchracer,
I'm not so sure about your claim that Greg's boat is "100% Cole"
Yes, It was built by Cole's shop.
However, that boat has been worked over more times than RCL's "Naked Santa" photo. ;)
Mike Barnes

HOWARD UFH
07-23-2007, 10:42 AM
no TAF i was not trying to stir it up,one of my buddys bought a canyon and i was trying to figure out which one it is.sorry about the trouble although intresting.

BenchRacer
07-23-2007, 05:30 PM
Benchracer,
However, that boat has been worked over more times than RCL's "Naked Santa" photo. ;)
Mike Barnes
I know just about as much you if not a lil more about who and what is done to it, I know that Kevin reworked the bottom,If I remember right it has a 3 bottom like Sonny used to run, it was built for Kim & Eric to replace BlackBart

TAF
07-24-2007, 08:34 AM
Benchracer,
Mike Barnes
Hi Mike, now that was funny:D
Benchracer, didn't Steele try to do something to the bottom too and then it was Kevin's turn at it?
Howard UFH, I'm glad you asked, I learned a bit myself. At first it seemed to me that you posed the question, ran and hid, not replying back for a few days. Sorry:( , Rob

HOWARD UFH
07-24-2007, 04:36 PM
Hi Mike, now that was funny:D
Benchracer, didn't Steele try to do something to the bottom too and then it was Kevin's turn at it?
Howard UFH, I'm glad you asked, I learned a bit myself. At first it seemed to me that you posed the question, ran and hid, not replying back for a few days. Sorry:( , Rob
TAF sorry for the delay i was at the lake,so what year did canyon boats start making hulls and where did the mold come from? is there 2 originals? how can my buddy tell which one he has? people ask who built it and he's not sure what to say, i was just trying to help him out.

469 the coyote
07-24-2007, 05:07 PM
You can tell buy the year. 84-present are the same mold. ( the mold that Kevin has) A balsa floor is a carter reed boat and the mettler boats have a ply-wood floor. There are also some that jim lange had built as High Techs too.

BenchRacer
07-24-2007, 05:49 PM
Kevin's boats are also Balsa floors, but Lester I dont have to tell you that

469 the coyote
07-24-2007, 06:01 PM
Yes that is true. But I dont think the boat that they are trying to find out about is a new one. He also does do them with a ply-wood floor.

Bt273
07-24-2007, 07:26 PM
Wasn't that duane klassens old boat? kevin cut the deck off and installed a capsule deck?

469 the coyote
07-24-2007, 07:30 PM
No. The one you are thinking of is the boat that mark potter drove at the chowchilla race.

MEANSTREAK
07-24-2007, 07:50 PM
BLA-BLA-BLA, You can talk all you want to about Canyons, but they will never be as good as a COLE TR4!

bondsman
07-24-2007, 07:56 PM
Didn't they all start out Hondo's?

BenchRacer
07-24-2007, 08:10 PM
No. The one you are thinking of is the boat that mark potter drove at the chowchilla race.
The boat Mark Porter has was built by Rob Steele purchesed from Randy Martinez in Elk Grove
it was originally white

Monkey Bung
07-24-2007, 08:11 PM
BLA-BLA-BLA, You can talk all you want to about Canyons, but they will never be as good as a COLE TR4!
Really???

BenchRacer
07-24-2007, 08:12 PM
Didn't they all start out Hondo's?
yes

MEANSTREAK
07-24-2007, 08:20 PM
Rob just built the bottomThe boat Mark Porter has was built by Rob Steele purchesed from Randy Martinez in Elk Grove
it was originally white

MEANSTREAK
07-24-2007, 08:21 PM
Thats the fact jack!Really???

469 the coyote
07-24-2007, 08:40 PM
That is the boat he has forsale. He drove A different black boat at the chowchilla race that kevin just put a deck on and did a capsule for it.
The boat Mark Porter has was built by Rob Steele purchesed from Randy Martinez in Elk Grove
it was originally white

BenchRacer
07-24-2007, 08:45 PM
That is the boat he has forsale. He drove A different black boat at the chowchilla race that kevin just put a deck on and did a capsule for it.
LOL you mean put it back on its the boat he built for Crieg and Mark
Crieg I think has the desire to drive again at least thats what he told me @ the capsule orintation as he was getting Cap certified.

BenchRacer
07-24-2007, 08:48 PM
Rob just built the bottom
OK let me be more clear Kevin layed and bonded the deck if I remember right

MEANSTREAK
07-24-2007, 08:53 PM
Nope! James brendel/ Randy built the deck, Kevin at that point hadn't even been to a race in several years.OK let me be more clear Kevin layed and bonded the deck if I remember right

BenchRacer
07-24-2007, 09:52 PM
Nope! James brendel/ Randy built the deck, Kevin at that point hadn't even been to a race in several years.
I stand corrected I must have missed that bit of info when I talked with Randy & Maria about the boat when they put it up for sale
Somehow I put Kevin and that boat togather , wasnt there one before this that the floor came apart

MEANSTREAK
07-24-2007, 10:07 PM
Correct, the original bottom came apart.That hulls name started with a Ca something I cant remeber;) Then Rob put the COLE TR-4 bottom on it and they were TAF #1 qualifer at the WF with an iron Chevy :idea: .I stand corrected I must have missed that bit of info when I talked with Randy & Maria about the boat when they put it up for sale
Somehow I put Kevin and that boat togather , wasnt there one before this that the floor came apart

BenchRacer
07-24-2007, 10:30 PM
Correct, the original bottom came apart.That hulls name started with a Ca something I cant remeber;) Then Rob put the COLE TR-4 bottom on it and they were TAF #1 qualifer at the WF with an iron Chevy :idea: .
yea I knew it ran quick had some long conversations with Dave, Rob, and Bob about aquiring it. it ran in the low 7.0s I beleive

TAF
07-25-2007, 05:45 AM
TAF sorry for the delay i was at the lake,so what year did canyon boats start making hulls and where did the mold come from? is there 2 originals? how can my buddy tell which one he has? people ask who built it and he's not sure what to say, i was just trying to help him out.
Vin # to some of the other guys might be able to figure it out for ya.