PDA

View Full Version : Bike ?????'s

AZJD
07-19-2007, 01:19 PM
Looking to buy Tricia a bike that she can manage. I am buying a bike and she wants her own. I have been leaning towards the 883 Sportster, based on her size. She is 5'5" and only weighs 120lbs. She is strong, however has no experience riding. Oh and of course the first bike she point out that she likes was a $60k custom with about 40 degrees of rake.. Uh no!
We are going to get her in a class a few times before we throw her out on the street, and I have ridden everything on 2 wheels so please keep the negative, "you don't know what your doing" comments to a medium roar!:D :D :D
Any input from the ladies who ride would be appreciated.......
Oh, and any one selling, please send me your info.

Big Kahunaa
07-19-2007, 01:26 PM
my old lady rides a honda 750 aero it is a great bike to start out on and not so expensive that if she does not like riding you cant get ride of it fast but my chic is looking at the vtx1300 now my 1800 is heavy fore her she does ride it around the hood but it would be to much for her on the hwy

sleekcraft78
07-19-2007, 01:30 PM
I think your going in the right direction with the sporty. My buddys girlfriend got a shadow 600 for her first bike. I told them they were stupid. They said "well it has a lower center of gravity". Ya but the riding posision is also alot lower then on a sportster. It's easier to hold up a bike when you are standing almost straight up then sitting and your legs bent. Anyways, It has come down to her not liking the bike and never feeling comfertable (sp).
Good luck.

AZJD
07-19-2007, 01:31 PM
my old lady rides a honda 750 aero it is a great bike to start out on and not so expensive that if she does not like riding you cant get ride of it fast but my chic is looking at the vtx1300 now my 1800 is heavy fore her she does ride it around the hood but it would be to much for her on the hwy
I am looking for a Harley or equivelent. I would like to stay with an american twin.

Big Kahunaa
07-19-2007, 01:34 PM
I am looking for a Harley or equivelent. I would like to stay with an american twin.
well when you get one make sure they give you drip pan with it :D

SummerBreeze
07-19-2007, 01:34 PM
You don't know what you are doing
Just kidding
The 883 would be a great bike for her

AZJD
07-19-2007, 01:35 PM
I think your going in the right direction with the sporty. My buddys girlfriend got a shadow 600 for her first bike. I told them they were stupid. They said "well it has a lower center of gravity". Ya but the riding posision is also alot lower then on a sportster. It's easier to hold up a bike when you are standing almost straight up then sitting and your legs bent. Anyways, It has come down to her not liking the bike and never feeling comfertable (sp).
Good luck.
In my experience I have always heard that the sporty was the best begginer bike for a twin. Once you put the lowering kit on it, it has optimal riding position for a begginer. It forces you to ride heads up, in an alert and responsive riding position. It is also manageable weight wise. I am pretty sure we are gonna go that route. She wants the bike I am getting, but she is a realist and knows she will probably drop it a time or 2 and mine isn't a good learner bike.

AZJD
07-19-2007, 01:36 PM
well when you get one make sure they give you drip pan with it :D
Hey, I drove a VW bug in highschool! That is the dummy drip, so you know when you need oil!!:D :D :D

AZJD
07-19-2007, 01:37 PM
BTW this is real similar to what I will be having built.....
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e270/azjd/suckerpunch.jpg

Big Kahunaa
07-19-2007, 01:45 PM
Hey, I drove a VW bug in highschool! That is the dummy drip, so you know when you need oil!!:D :D :D
then you know about oil drips my old lady went to the riding classes it did her a lot of good have fun and be safe

CampbellCarl
07-19-2007, 01:51 PM
For what it's worth, I did my training on an 'Enduro' style bike and started riding on hard pack (dirt). I alway felt like if I did drop it, I'd rather it wasn't on cement and rather not drop something expensive! Rode dirt, then street, then sold it and bought my HD. Oh. 'ya, the class is a MUST! Here in Cali, if you pass the class test, no DMV test required.
CC

dicudmore
07-19-2007, 01:51 PM
I've got an 04 Buell Firebolt that she would look great on :D
light, small (400 lbs) and its an american twin so its SLOW...

Powerquestboy
07-19-2007, 01:53 PM
Buy her a Ridley, they are automatics. They are great looking bikes and are perfect for girls because there is no shifting to do. Great first bike to get her comfortable on then move her to a Harley and teach her how to shift. A guy at work bought the chopper for his wife and she loves it. He rides it sometimes and we tease him and call it the scooter but in all honesty its a perfect bike for his wife.
http://www.ridleymotorcycles.com/html/Ridley_Main.htm

AZJD
07-19-2007, 01:53 PM
I've got an 04 Buell Firebolt that she would look great on :D
light, small (400 lbs) and its an american twin so its SLOW...
Send a pic. I will see what she thinks.

riverbound
07-19-2007, 01:55 PM
the sporty is a GREAT learner bike and takes much less of a hit in depreciation than the other "learner" bikes. I would recomend getting the 1200 as they have a much better resale than the 883.
We have a 1200 that we bought to teach people in our family to ride, it was much easier than trying to teach them on a full bagger or a chopper. it is still worth pretty much the saem as what we paid for it. and has been a great bike. There are times when I prefer to ride that over the others.

HavasuSelect
07-19-2007, 01:55 PM
BTW this is real similar to what I will be having built.....
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e270/azjd/suckerpunch.jpg
Damn bro that's sick. That's exactly what I want. Who's gonna build it?
The Sportster Nightster is a pretty cool bike.

riverbound
07-19-2007, 01:56 PM
the sporty is a GREAT learner bike and takes much less of a hit in depreciation than the other "learner" bikes. I would recomend getting the 1200 as they have a much better resale than the 883.
We have a 1200 that we bought to teach people in our family to ride, it was much easier than trying to teach them on a full bagger or a chopper. it is still worth pretty much the saem as what we paid for it. and has been a great bike. There are times when I prefer to ride that over the others.

AZJD
07-19-2007, 01:57 PM
For what it's worth, I did my training on an 'Enduro' style bike and started riding on hard pack (dirt). I alway felt like if I did drop it, I'd rather it wasn't on cement and rather not drop something expensive! Rode dirt, then street, then sold it and bought my HD. Oh. 'ya, the class is a MUST! Here in Cali, if you pass the class test, no DMV test required.
CC
90% of my riding was dirt. I raced a few years and have ridden track for about 10 years before I broke my back. I would love to have the bikes and gear still to do so, however not looking to make double the investment. I think once or twice through the course should do it. I'm not even entertaining the thought of teaching her. I would rather have this be a fun experience....:D :D :D
I won't put her on the street until I am absolutely convinced she knows what she is doing, and can react calmly in a situation. The last thing I want to happen is for her to be injured because we rushed it. We are not in a huge rush to make this happen. My bike won't be done for 8 weeks, so we have plenty of time.

AZJD
07-19-2007, 01:59 PM
Damn bro that's sick. That's exactly what I want. Who's gonna build it?
The Sportster Nightster is a pretty cool bike.
Sucker punch Sallys

dicudmore
07-19-2007, 02:00 PM
Send a pic. I will see what she thinks.
mine is red...this pic is from the website
http://www.buell.com/common/08/sportbike/XB12R/gallery/584/2.jpg

AZJD
07-19-2007, 02:00 PM
I was tossing around the idea of a 1200, but this is only for her to get saddle time. Maybe a year, then get her something she really wants. I have found some clean 883's in the $6k range.

Devil's Advocate
07-19-2007, 02:02 PM
I ride...
on the back.:D

AZJD
07-19-2007, 02:02 PM
mine is red...this pic is from the website
http://www.buell.com/common/08/sportbike/XB12R/gallery/584/2.jpg
Dude, the first thing I would do with that bike is go drag a knee.... I prommised myself when my daughter was born, NO SPORT BIKES! I need a switch, not a throttle. That is why I am getting a bobber with an 80 ci in it....SLOW! I would kill myself otherwise.

AZJD
07-19-2007, 02:03 PM
I ride...
on the back.:D
Tricia has been practicing her riding position lately too!!!:devil: :devil: :devil:

djunkie
07-19-2007, 02:04 PM
Get her a Vespa. :D :D

riverbound
07-19-2007, 02:04 PM
I was tossing around the idea of a 1200, but this is only for her to get saddle time. Maybe a year, then get her something she really wants. I have found some clean 883's in the $6k range.
thats why we originally bought the 1200. we thought we would keep it for a year then sell it. If you watch the 883s in the cycle trader, they dont sell very well. the 1200's go quick.

dicudmore
07-19-2007, 02:07 PM
Dude, the first thing I would do with that bike is go drag a knee.... I prommised myself when my daughter was born, NO SPORT BIKES! I need a switch, not a throttle. That is why I am getting a bobber with an 80 ci in it....SLOW! I would kill myself otherwise.
you might drag a knee with it, but your wrist would get sore from holding the throttle twisted wide open...Jap 600's SMOKE these things. Hell my friends Valkyrie (sp?) smokes it too...the upsides to it are: cheap, decent mileage (45 give or take) its light and its short...I'm 5'7 and can flat foot both feet at stop lights

Baja Big Dog
07-19-2007, 02:08 PM
NO SPORTY.....
Too tall for a beginner, hard for a short woman (or man) to ride, get a used low rider and lower it, makes a great starter bike for a woman, buddy bought one and sold it twice to other bros for their wives. They loved it.
someone on the board sells Harley's in Vegas, get his opinion...

Devil's Advocate
Tricia has been practicing her riding position lately too!!!:devil: :devil: :devil:
Then she'll be a champ when she has that machine between her legs.:eek: :D

AZJD
Get her a Vespa. :D :D
You know how I know your gay?:D :D :D

dicudmore
07-19-2007, 02:12 PM
NO SPORTY.....
Too tall for a beginner, hard for a short woman (or man) to ride, get a used low rider and lower it, makes a great starter bike for a woman, buddy bought one and sold it twice to other bros for their wives. They loved it.
that would be John C...702-328-3241 (beaverretriever) great guy

SHAWNINATOR
07-19-2007, 02:13 PM
Im a mechanic for a harley dealership in orange county. So I have experience with all the models. sportsters are a good starter bike but the downfall is that there hard to re-sell and get your money back on. theyre light and easy to manuever. although they do have a higher center of gravity. If you get a big twin like a dyna with mid controls you can easily get your money back. Softails suck, there suspension is horrible. baggers are way to heavy for a woman.

AZJD
07-19-2007, 02:14 PM
NO SPORTY.....
Don't ride much do you?
In my experience I have always heard that the sporty was the best begginer bike for a twin. Once you put the lowering kit on it, it has optimal riding position for a begginer. It forces you to ride heads up, in an alert and responsive riding position. It is also manageable weight wise. I am pretty sure we are gonna go that route. She wants the bike I am getting, but she is a realist and knows she will probably drop it a time or 2 and mine isn't a good learner bike.
Low slung, streched and raked choppers are the hardest thing for a begginer to ride. First things first. Learn how to ride and develope good riding habbits. Choppers promote poor riding habbits.

Big Kahunaa
07-19-2007, 02:17 PM
Sucker punch Sallys
they build a nice bike

AZJD
07-19-2007, 02:18 PM
Thanks Shawn and Dicudmore....
I will probably buy her a used 883 that I am not worried about taking a bath on for a grand or 2. Who knows, I could always keep it around for guests like RB and his family does.

WTMFA
07-19-2007, 02:25 PM
My wife wants to sell her 96 sporty 883. Shes about 5'2 so the bike is allready slammed on the ground. She has problems with her wrists so it looks like my solo seat is coming off. I'm new to this whole board thing so I'll try and post some pics. Or if your interested you can call me on my cell (928) 208-5094.
I'm in Havasu.
Ian

AZJD
07-19-2007, 02:27 PM
My wife wants to sell her 96 sporty 883. Shes about 5'2 so the bike is allready slammed on the ground. She has problems with her wrists so it looks like my solo seat is coming off. I'm new to this whole board thing so I'll try and post some pics. Or if your interested you can call me on my cell (928) 208-5094.
I'm in Havasu.
Ian
absolutley! If you want to e-mail them to me that will work too...
AZJD@cox.net

Baja Big Dog
07-19-2007, 02:28 PM
Don't ride much do you?
No, I try to keep it below 15,ooo a year.
Low slung, streched and raked choppers are the hardest thing for a begginer to ride. First things first. Learn how to ride and develope good riding habbits. Choppers promote poor riding habbits.
Didnt say anything about a chopper, was talking about the DYNA like this one
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb115/bajabigdog/lowrider.jpg

AZJD
07-19-2007, 02:30 PM
Didnt say anything about a chopper, was talking about the DYNA like this one
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb115/bajabigdog/lowrider.jpg
Well why didn't you say so....... That's a little different than what I was picturing when you sain low rider.
I like the dyna and the duece for her but I don't want to spend that much on a begginer bike.

djunkie
07-19-2007, 02:34 PM
You know how I know your gay?:D :D :D
You know you really want one. Look how cute you 2 would be on it. :rolleyes: :devil: :devil:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35201&stc=1&d=1184884427

AZJD
07-19-2007, 02:35 PM
You know you really want one. Look how cute you 2 would be on it. :rolleyes: :devil: :devil:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35201&stc=1&d=1184884427
Can you get those in flat black?:D :D :D
Hows the new pad?

djunkie
07-19-2007, 02:37 PM
Can you get those in flat black?:D :D :D
Hows the new pad?
I got a couple cans of Krylon in the garage. I may even have some red for the wheels. :D :D
House is good. Just going crazy putting shit away. I never realized how much crap I had stored at my parents house. :rolleyes: :D :D

Magic34
07-19-2007, 02:40 PM
I say side car.:D

Baja Big Dog
07-19-2007, 02:40 PM
Well why didn't you say so....... That's a little different than what I was picturing when you sain low rider.
I like the dyna and the duece for her but I don't want to spend that much on a begginer bike.
Yea they are about 5K more than a good 1200 sporty....:D

AZJD
07-19-2007, 02:41 PM
I say side car.:D
I say stay home and cook for me, I will do the riding.............. That conversation ended quickly:D

AZJD
07-19-2007, 02:48 PM
Also, something else that has been haunting me is thinking of riding with her and having to see her go down?!
Any input on this. I fear having it happen. I am not worried about me. I expect to go down anytime I get on a bike. It's part of the price you pay. I am just not sure how I will act or react when placed in that situation. I also am worried about being over bearing on her when she rides. I don't want to make this no fun for her, and also want her to make her own little mistakes and learn from them as I did.

djunkie
07-19-2007, 02:49 PM
I say stay home and cook for me, I will do the riding.............. That conversation ended quickly:D
So I guess we know who wears the pants around there. :D :D

AZJD
07-19-2007, 02:50 PM
So I guess we know who wears the pants around there. :D :D
Yep, and as long as I play by the rules I can get into them anytime I want.:D :D :D

BLOWN HOWARD
07-19-2007, 02:56 PM
I see a ton of woman riding the Heritage Softtail. Good bike low to the ground and not to heavy.

SHAWNINATOR
07-19-2007, 02:59 PM
Crashing is just something that goes with riding. i just got in a real bad wreck 3 weeks ago. bike is totalled shattered my wrist tore tendons in ankle bruised tailbone bunch of cuts and open wounds.

Screaming Pete
07-19-2007, 03:00 PM
http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Content/Pages/2008_Motorcycles/2008_Motorcycles.jsp?HDCWPSession=3L8WGfsQ61h1g7K2 LzdPLQNXlv650X82v62d0Sn906Vq5x7dNky6!-1790512256!1451514147&locale=en_US&swfsection=family&swffamily=sp
start her with this one so you can keep it later..............:D
Opps. XL 1200 N

AZJD
07-19-2007, 03:06 PM
http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Content/Pages/2008_Motorcycles/2008_Motorcycles.jsp?HDCWPSession=3L8WGfsQ61h1g7K2 LzdPLQNXlv650X82v62d0Sn906Vq5x7dNky6!-1790512256!1451514147&locale=en_US&swfsection=family&swffamily=sp
Opps. XL 1200 N
Damn, I am not a huge HD fan, but I like that bike....... I would cruise it. Just need a price now............beaverretriever?

riverbound
07-19-2007, 03:18 PM
Also, something else that has been haunting me is thinking of riding with her and having to see her go down?!
Any input on this. I fear having it happen. I am not worried about me. I expect to go down anytime I get on a bike. It's part of the price you pay. I am just not sure how I will act or react when placed in that situation. I also am worried about being over bearing on her when she rides. I don't want to make this no fun for her, and also want her to make her own little mistakes and learn from them as I did.
I would probably enroll her in a program like this before she ever hits the street. I took it (had to to get my motorcycle permit at 15) even though I have ridden dirt bikes since I was 5. there were a couple women in my class when I took it.
http://www.msf-usa.org/

AZJD
07-19-2007, 03:21 PM
I would probably enroll her in a program like this before she ever hits the street. I took it (had to to get my motorcycle permit at 15) even though I have ridden dirt bikes since I was 5. there were a couple women in my class when I took it.
http://www.msf-usa.org/
She is going to do a couple of classes. I plan on them teaching her. I will probably have her take an offroad course aswell. She won't be riding on the streets for a while. We are going to take our time and get her up to speed first.

Screaming Pete
07-19-2007, 03:33 PM
i had let my ca lin. expire and had to take a class and after 30yrs of ridding i still learned some stuff.........alot....... take a class with her. i was the only one in the class that rode a new 20k bike to class....lol

AZJD
07-19-2007, 03:35 PM
i had let my ca lin. expire and had to take a class and after 30yrs of ridding i still learned some stuff.........alot....... take a class with her. i was the only one in the class that rode a new 20k bike to class....lol
I will definately be in at least one class with her. I think it will be fun...I have had my license for about 10 years now and I got it before all the hassles of schools and such.

Baja Big Dog
07-19-2007, 03:43 PM
Opps. XL 1200 N
10 grand..thats a cool bike...DO NOT buy the 1200 under the pretense that it is down on power and easier for her to ride, the 1200 sporty's run very well!!!

Screaming Pete
07-19-2007, 03:46 PM
we were out ridding the other day and ended up at the Hideout by lake henshaw. lot of cool bikes..........everyone was flocked around the xl 1200 n

centerhill condor
07-19-2007, 05:54 PM
do yourself a favor and don't. why does she "need" her own bike?
just not worth it!
I have a female friend many years of riding experience gonna be down a while broken this and that, ruptured this and that...
Be sure to buy some really good long term disability insurance!

fatboy95
07-19-2007, 06:50 PM
Don't waste your money on an 883, POS and you can't sell it later on. Look at a used Dyna Low Rider or Wide Glide if you want a HD. It's balanced better, bigger engine, ride is smoother and she can grow into it as her skill improves. An after market seat will lower it more as do shocks. You may want to rent some bikes to see if she really wants to ride seriously.

AZJD
07-19-2007, 08:51 PM
10 grand..thats a cool bike...DO NOT buy the 1200 under the pretense that it is down on power and easier for her to ride, the 1200 sporty's run very well!!!
Hopefully she rides with the same selfcontrol she uses with everyday decisions. I would like to ride the 1200 to compare power. I have ridden the 883 and think the power would be perfect for a begginer, however the other negatives will weigh on our decision.