PDA

View Full Version : The Trident Revolution??

dicudmore
07-19-2007, 01:27 PM
What is the deal with the Trident? More specifically--why does it seem to be sales-proof? Anybody??
Everybody that has ridden in or driven the boat has raved about it, powerboat included. Certainly the boat puts down impressive numbers. Seems like he's priced competitively...Wes and Audry seem like good people...where is the hang up?

Jyruiz
07-19-2007, 01:29 PM
What is the deal with the Trident? More specifically--why does it seem to be sales-proof? Anybody??
Everybody that has ridden in or driven the boat has raved about it, powerboat included. Certainly the boat puts down impressive numbers. Seems like he's priced competitively...Wes and Audry seem like good people...where is the hang up?
$$$$$$$$
I am waiting for the 30 year loan with 3% financing.:D

jdogginla
07-19-2007, 01:34 PM
Has he come down in price? What's the boat costing these days with a wh0re....I mean Ho

Phat Matt
07-19-2007, 01:34 PM
I think a lot has changed since the Powerboat article for them. I think all the R&D time spent on the dual drive was the set back. If he had started with the stern drive in the beginning I think you would be seeing more on the water. People were spending money on boats back then like it was nothing.

AZJD
07-19-2007, 01:49 PM
I think this off season will be a good one for wes. His boat is awesome, and I know a person or 2 really looking into a purchase from Wes.
I wouldn't be suprised to see the roof blow off this thing real soon...

squirt'nmyload
07-19-2007, 02:06 PM
I think this off season will be a good one for wes. His boat is awesome, and I know a person or 2 really looking into a purchase from Wes.
I wouldn't be suprised to see the roof blow off this thing real soon...
the roof must've been blown off already cause i've never seen it with one on:D

Froggystyle
07-19-2007, 02:07 PM
Sitting down in the boat this weekend at the show in Phoenix gave us a lot of perspective on how far we have come, and what to expect of the future to a large degree.
This isn't a cheap boat. It is properly priced, but certainly qualifies for a serious look at it before pulling the trigger. There is always loose money, but the buyers we can really count on are people that already have a boat that is very, very nice... but they want something different or even an improvement. I don't know that we have actually LOST any of our prospective clients save for two... one was NashvilleBound, and we just didn't meet his timetable for when he needed a boat. The second was another gent on here that rode in the boat, loved it but opted to stay within a much lower price range and bought a brand-new Shockwave deck. Everyone else that is interested and has taken a ride is kind of in the wings right now waiting to see if the Virage debacle repeats itself.
All of that I understand completely. It is a tough market, being made more so by many, many high performance boats for sale recently at distressed prices. Fortunately for us, we have a lot of things they don't or can't offer, so it isn't as bad as it could be.
We have settled down into production now with a smaller crew, revised volume goals and a real top performer with, as you mentioned, critical acclaim by anyone who has been in the boat. We are likely approaching "critical mass" and hope to be turning all of the great will into sales in the approaching winter season. We are ready for them, and can't wait to turn out some seriously cool boats for next year. We are cranking out boats right now for the Arizona and California market, as our season is significantly longer than the rest of the country, and expect to for a couple of more months.
In the meantime, we are building and delivering a little over one boat a month, and will hit two per month pretty soon we feel. Picking up Pier 57 as a dealer was a big deal for us, and with phone calls coming in from all over the country after the Powerboat article, I can honestly say that for the first time in five plus years it is GREAT to be us.
One boat at a time, one client at a time though.
Thanks for the great sentiments. We all appreciate them, and can't wait to get really busy.
Wes

Froggystyle
07-19-2007, 02:10 PM
Has he come down in price? What's the boat costing these days with a wh0re....I mean Ho
About $105K with an X drive HO.

2Driver
07-19-2007, 02:22 PM
after reading August Powerboat "14 boats over 100 MPH" the Trident seems bargain priced.
More of an issue now (I would guess) is that people buying 6 figure boats are people with significant incomes and not the masses of average Joes with an equity line. Besides I don't think Wes is marketing to the overly price sensitive crowd anyway.

ratso
07-19-2007, 02:28 PM
after reading August Powerboat "14 boats over 100 MPH" the Trident seems bargain priced.
More of an issue now (I would guess) is that people buying 6 figure boats are people with significant incomes and not the masses of average Joes with an equity line. Besides I don't think Wes is marketing to the overly price sensitive crowd anyway.
Exactly... he ain't selling Hyundais:D

NashvilleBound
07-19-2007, 03:11 PM
Wes builds a great product. Its very cutting edge, built with extreme research and knowledge. Like all new products no one wants to be the first. One thing that always bothers me is the top speed comparason..... The Trident skews the numbers in a very good way. Fact is it skews most of the industries ways of doing things..... in a good way:D :D The good thing is people are starting to realize this. Wes's time is coming....

jbtrailerjim
07-19-2007, 03:23 PM
Not to change the subject but I saw a Trident and Wes's dad on the news Sunday night while I was in Havasu. They were covering the Phoenix show it was on display at and they did a little interview with Wes's dad. I think it was on NBC news.

Froggystyle
07-19-2007, 03:28 PM
Not to change the subject but I saw a Trident and Wes's dad on the news Sunday night while I was in Havasu. They were covering the Phoenix show it was on display at and they did a little interview with Wes's dad. I think it was on NBC news.
How did it all look? Everyone was cracking up that Dad did the interview.
Good show for us...

NashvilleBound
07-19-2007, 03:31 PM
Good show for us...
Speaking of "Dad" doing the interview..... Wes, are you skeeeeered???? Huh? Welll? Are ya? chicken maybeeeeeee? Bok bok bok bok bok bok bok........ (uh, those are chicken sounds btw :rolleyes: )

SummitKarl
07-19-2007, 03:32 PM
interview was on AZTV ch3, the boat looked good on TV, and it looks damn nice in person too...especially with a Ilmor sitting under the hood:D

Froggystyle
07-19-2007, 03:34 PM
Speaking of "Dad" doing the interview..... Wes, are you skeeeeered???? Huh? Welll? Are ya? chicken maybeeeeeee? Bok bok bok bok bok bok bok........ (uh, those are chicken sounds btw :rolleyes: )
I do believe I was selling boats. Gotta throw the old man a bone every now and then... right? :D
bok bok bok... Bgockkkkk!!!!!
"When you're threatened by a stranger, when you think your life's in danger..." :D

NashvilleBound
07-19-2007, 03:37 PM
I do believe I was selling boats. Gotta throw the old man a bone every now and then... right? :D
bok bok bok... Bgockkkkk!!!!!
"When you're threatened by a stranger, when you think your life's in danger..." :D
Awwww hellllll....Super Chicken... Damn...cant get the fricken tune outta my head now.... karma I tell ya :D :D

jbtrailerjim
07-19-2007, 03:41 PM
Good show for us...
It looked real good. They showed some good shots of it. It was on the late night news and I was dosing off and it was about to go to commercial and they started to show a teaser what was coming up on the news and there it was, a Trident on the TV. So I managed to keep myself awake to see wtf your boat was doing on the Phoenix news. :D

Screaming Pete
07-19-2007, 03:44 PM
the best part about the boat at the show was it was a customer's/client's. is that right Wes

beaverretriever
07-19-2007, 03:46 PM
The "Hang Up" is, Wes won't give me a handy under the finance desk...SOB!!!:D :jawdrop:

Froggystyle
07-19-2007, 03:50 PM
The "Hang Up" is, Wes won't give me a handy under the finance desk...SOB!!!:D :jawdrop:
I had a headache... try again later. :D

NashvilleBound
07-19-2007, 05:30 PM
How the hell are we supose to keep up with the "Jones's" if NB won't step up?:D
:notam: :notam: :notam: :notam:

TOBTEK
07-19-2007, 05:37 PM
just a thought...... BUT every one I have seen has had the same gell design with just different colors. MAYBE go off on the next one????? Show the public your talents:D you need me to come down and tape one off for ya:D
might want to do what RPM is doing... price dump the first few, just to get them out and be seen. You Know Lexis did this back in 1989 with their LS400 right. Retail was 36,800K to the U.S market, They were loosing money on each car they shipped over here. Worked out alright for them;) need to get a few on the water. Shitz, give a demo to Phebus.... he will sell a few for you! Dude is Mr Havasu:)

roostwear
07-19-2007, 05:43 PM
Exactly... he ain't selling Hyundais:D
More accurately.... Kia's

shrek
07-19-2007, 05:49 PM
I just spent like 1 hour reading the website.......very impressive website, that is for sure.
Boat looks very interesting.........When is the next show that the boat will be at?
Is there any that spend time in Parker? I would love to go for a ride in one to feel that new hull design.
Shrek

Lavey29
07-19-2007, 05:50 PM
I gotta say that I did not know much about Trident boats before and the jet system wasn't something I was interested in either. I have spent the last 2 days thoroughly reading the website and checking the pics along with reviews of the boat. I think Wes has some great innovative ideas and is really thinking outside of the box to create something totally new. I have been very impressed looking at his stuff online and plan to check them out in person also. Every big name DCB, Eliminator, Fountain, Hallet, Lavey, etc....started small with the owners dream and hard work and patience paid off along with putting out a quality product. I remember sitting in copper canyon in 1991 when DCB Dave pulled up in a 21 Daytona he rigged with a single whacker and we talked for quite awhile. He was trying to sell me one of his boats and I ended up going with Eliminator directly instead of Dave. Look at where he is now and I respect him for pursuing his passion and making a great boat. I feel Trident is much the same. Wes has a dream and passion and is pursuing it with his new boat and ideas.

kap
07-19-2007, 06:32 PM
Froggystyle:
A story from Casa de Kappy:
I was also recently trying to sell my former ride and could not understand why people were not blowing up my phone. Price was right, condition of boat was rated Excellent [by bank], all the ammenities aboard, trailer in awesome shape. So what gives?????
I then spared no expense advertising Phoenix, Las Vegas, San Ber, Riverside, OC, LA and San Diego. An occasional nibble but overall just answering a few phone calls now and then and one visitor :idea: :idea: .
Well I got some calls after the 4th of July and answered all their questions---still no-- YES I'll TAKE IT's. Talked to my wife she said SEND THEM photos and they will get a better idea of the quality product for a great price.
I called them back said you want some photos they said unexcitedly sure. The photos that followed were engine, port side, starboard side--- every angle including one from the balcony. Hell I even sent them photos of the bow light and cleats.
All of a sudden the phone is ringing off the hook with offers and boat is sold.
MORAL/What I learned---[Some members hit the outside mark]----EXPOSURE-- once you see the boat online, magazines, on the lake, river, ocean AND people go for a ride they begin to envision themselves as owners.
I was fortunate to go for a ride on the jet model and was impressed. I cannot imagine what people would say with high horsepower motor and drive with hydraulic steering. It will be off the hook--- the boat will sell itself to a prospective purchaser. I recall the test ride when you took us out with a sizeable crew I think we had about 9 people onboard and it came out of the hole like a rocket.
Someone should post some photos of the one at the Phoenix show or a clip of the broadcast. I'd like to see it and probably a lot of members.
KAP

nobling
07-19-2007, 07:29 PM
Aint that the truth, 1st he needs some happy customers out floss'n and good word travels realllllly fast. Good Luck trident revo.By the way how is that thing on gas. Seems like it would burn some fuel!:idea:

djunkie
07-19-2007, 07:55 PM
Froggystyle:
A story from Casa de Kappy:
I was also recently trying to sell my former ride and could not understand why people were not blowing up my phone. Price was right, condition of boat was rated Excellent [by bank], all the ammenities aboard, trailer in awesome shape. So what gives?????
I then spared no expense advertising Phoenix, Las Vegas, San Ber, Riverside, OC, LA and San Diego. An occasional nibble but overall just answering a few phone calls now and then and one visitor :idea: :idea: .
Well I got some calls after the 4th of July and answered all their questions---still no-- YES I'll TAKE IT's. Talked to my wife she said SEND THEM photos and they will get a better idea of the quality product for a great price.
I called them back said you want some photos they said unexcitedly sure. The photos that followed were engine, port side, starboard side--- every angle including one from the balcony. Hell I even sent them photos of the bow light and cleats.
All of a sudden the phone is ringing off the hook with offers and boat is sold.
MORAL/What I learned---[Some members hit the outside mark]----EXPOSURE-- once you see the boat online, magazines, on the lake, river, ocean AND people go for a ride they begin to envision themselves as owners.
I was fortunate to go for a ride on the jet model and was impressed. I cannot imagine what people would say with high horsepower motor and drive with hydraulic steering. It will be off the hook--- the boat will sell itself to a prospective purchaser. I recall the test ride when you took us out with a sizeable crew I think we had about 9 people onboard and it came out of the hole like a rocket.
Someone should post some photos of the one at the Phoenix show or a clip of the broadcast. I'd like to see it and probably a lot of members.
KAP
This is all true. I looked for it at the last L.A. Boat Show but it wasn't there. :idea: :confused: :confused:

XTRM22
07-19-2007, 08:29 PM
Shitz, give a demo to Phebus.... he will sell a few for you! Dude is Mr Havasu:)
What the hell, why can't I be Mr.Havasu.:D I am easily known as DCB cheerleader #2 (Charley posts more and spent more, otherwise I've been around longer and I'm taller). Back to my point, I've only riden in the Trident once, but picture a cold windy winter afternoon. This boat runs in 3+ ft. chop like it owns it and better then any other deck boat I'm familiar with. If I was a deck boat kinda guy and had any money at all, Trident would definitely be a top contender!
Chuck
Chuck

INSman
07-19-2007, 08:56 PM
I have not yet had a chance to ride in the boat, only because I know I am not presently in the market for a replacement. For me personally, I liked the very unique dual jet drive concept as I really thought this would be the ideal sized boat to handle the rough lake/basin type water but also be able to run all the way up to Laughlin on the river if I wanted to without a worry of any kind.
My next lake boat will certainly have the Trident on the fairly short list of those to be considered... Keep up the good work Wes :D

Phat Matt
07-20-2007, 08:55 AM
Is it just me or has the price of the boat come down considerably from what we were first told? At the current price listed, I may have been in the market.
It doesn't have a twin turbo in it anymore.

Phat Matt
07-20-2007, 09:07 AM
They getting $60k for twin turbos now? ;)
I would guess an HO with a bravo is less than a twin turbo with a custom dual pump. I don't know about 60k but I don't exactly understand how "marine" engines cost so much anyway. :)

Cole Trickle
07-20-2007, 09:13 AM
I would guess an HO with a bravo is less than a twin turbo with a custom dual pump. I don't know about 60k but I don't exactly understand how "marine" engines cost so much anyway. :)
Pretty sure the HO/Bravo is cheaper to produce than the TT with the twin jets.
I think the 550 Illmor/Teague Drive costs more than the TT.
You could probably score a loaded 550 boat for around 140K +/-:)

Cole Trickle
07-20-2007, 09:15 AM
I remember originally the Trident was going to cost $165ish. Now, it's $105k. That's a substantial difference.
Thats with the HO (Not sure how equipped)
I bet the TT/Jet set up was close to 50K in parts
I also think due to the current market he is pricing them a little more agressive.

Jyruiz
07-20-2007, 09:18 AM
I remember originally the Trident was going to cost $165ish. Now, it's $105k. That's a substantial difference.
I think it is even lower than that if you don't go for the electric ramp.

Cole Trickle
07-20-2007, 09:21 AM
I think it is even lower than that if you don't go for the electric ramp.
Gotta have the ramp a.ka. panty dropper!!!;):D
The girls love watching that thing cum up and down!!:eek: :D

OutCole'd
07-20-2007, 09:22 AM
I think the Trident will do great and hope it becomes every bit as successful as all the top West Coast builders.
Building more of a "base" model is going to atrtract a lot of attention of the people looking to spend closer to the 100k mark.
Wes, has there been a 496Ho hit the water yet? I'd guess that it would out perform a lot of Decks out there with a 525.

Froggystyle
07-20-2007, 09:47 AM
We have included, as standard more options than anyone by an awful lot. From the front ramp, slide anchor and life jackets to a Fireboy system. We felt that instead of a "bait and switch" mentality of low apparent price, but then burn you with the options, that we would perfectly equip the boat initially and leave every owner with the feeling that they got it all.
Backfire.
Everyone thought we were too expensive, though comparably priced we were WAY lower than anyone else in the market. $105K represents a boat that is far better built, better performing and better equipped than any other deck on the market with that engine, but is a damn sight away from completely loaded by our estimation.
With a 93+ mph top end and fish-killing stereo, the Ilmor 550 package is probably the best deal in powerboating right now.
One of my clients from back east just got back from LOTO and said the boat absolutely was amazing. Never got a splash in the boat, even on a huge weekend. I couldn't be happier. The same CANNOT be said for other deck boats in that area.
Performance, value and quality. We are working hard to be the best at all three. Soon enough, we will have longevity to add to that list, but for now our current clients are as happy as clams, and that is the most we can ask for.

superdave013
07-20-2007, 09:49 AM
They getting $60k for twin turbos now? ;)
call up Brummitt and ask him what they cost. Better be sitting down.

Froggystyle
07-20-2007, 11:01 AM
call up Brummitt and ask him what they cost. Better be sitting down.
And have a few beers on board already...

Jordy
07-20-2007, 02:39 PM
but for now our current clients are as happy as clams
Gotta wonder who came up with that saying... How can you tell if a clam is happy anyway??? :idea:

Froggystyle
07-20-2007, 04:01 PM
Gotta wonder who came up with that saying... How can you tell if a clam is happy anyway??? :idea:
Their smile wraps all the way around them... ;)

2Driver
07-20-2007, 04:52 PM
Zebra mussels seem pretty happy...I mean just look at their numbers :D :D

Froggystyle
07-25-2007, 08:38 AM
I have recently found myself in the used boat sales business. Anybody want some high quality used boats? :D
Turns out the one common thread between all of my new clients is current ownership of a really nice boat. All need to sell them to buy mine. It makes sense, but I should have thought of that ahead of time.
I have seven boats to sell... anyone interested? :D

Cole Trickle
07-25-2007, 08:42 AM
I have recently found myself in the used boat sales business. Anybody want some high quality used boats? :D
Turns out the one common thread between all of my new clients is current ownership of a really nice boat. All need to sell them to buy mine. It makes sense, but I should have thought of that ahead of time.
I have seven boats to sell... anyone interested? :D
So does that mean you have 7+ orders?
Congrats...What are you showing people when they come to the shop for test drives?
also any numbers you want to report on the 625 boat?:idea: :)

Froggystyle
07-25-2007, 09:15 AM
So does that mean you have 7+ orders?
Congrats...What are you showing people when they come to the shop for test drives?
also any numbers you want to report on the 625 boat?:idea: :)
All contingent orders. :(
Most have test drives already, or Robert is taking them out in Havasu, or Ricky is taking them out in Indy. Some are fine with the Powerboat evaluation and the testimony of a friend who rode/drove it. Everyone so far has been a referral of some sort.
Some dickless asshole keyed Roberts boat in Havasu last week so it is coming back here for a couple of days to get gel-repaired. I am not sure when, but it might be next Sunday. We will get in a round of test rides then for sure. I want to have it back to him by the weekend though.
We need to do some high-speed tuning on the boat to get a bigger number out of it. So far, a 93 is what I have run, but without enough space to get the bigger numbers. Once it cools down a bit I want to start testing for speed in earnest. We should be pushing upper 90's to 100 with it by Spring. It DEFINITELY needs a new prop. The boat is laboring at 5500 or so and not pulling into the upper range of the motor's power. Having that low of a prop slip means you really have to test to be accurate on prop selection, and Robert just wants the boat for the summer. 90's is fast enough for now.

RiverDave
07-25-2007, 09:18 AM
Somebody keyed a boat? I don't think I've ever heard of that before?
That sucks.. :(
RD

Froggystyle
07-25-2007, 09:19 AM
RD
We were both really bummed. He left it on the street overnight and it got hit. He said there is a lot of punks running around Havasu these days vandalizing stuff.
We can fix it...

Cole Trickle
07-25-2007, 09:33 AM
RD
I was thinking the same thing......fawking low class punks:(:mad:

Froggystyle
07-25-2007, 10:46 AM
I was thinking the same thing......fawking low class punks:(:mad:
I don't get it either. I have had my share of the occasional fracturing of the law in the past, but I have NEVER screwed up anyone elses stuff or vandalized in any way. I have never understood graffiti, nor do I understand taking something nicer than you have and hurting it on principle.
I am let down by it... especially in Havasu.

78Eliminator
07-25-2007, 11:06 AM
They will get theirs. Just a matter of time. Most people work their asses off for the toys they enjoy and to hear about some jealous ass hole defacing someones property makes my blood boil.
The sentence for vandalizing another persons property should be mandatory castration.

Punchy
07-25-2007, 03:42 PM
Hey Wes.....what do you think the Revolution will do MPH with that base X drive HO setup?

Froggystyle
07-25-2007, 03:53 PM
Hey Wes.....what do you think the Revolution will do MPH with that base X drive HO setup?
We will know shortly. The HO just showed up two hours ago and we are working to install it in the blue boat right now. I anticipate upper 70's with no problems and we will see from there... ;)

superdave013
07-25-2007, 04:22 PM
We will know shortly. The HO just showed up two hours ago and we are working to install it in the blue boat right now. I anticipate upper 70's with no problems and we will see from there... ;)
Does that mean that Merc "sucked your nuts"?? lol :D :D :D

Froggystyle
07-25-2007, 04:30 PM
Does that mean that Merc "sucked your nuts"?? lol :D :D :D
I didn't want to, and I told the Merc rep as much. I told him he was lucky that the guys from Tennessee don't think they can sell a boat without a Merc in it. I bitched again about the Merc Racing customer service and mentioned that I was offering incentives for using Ilmor.
I am doing my part. I have a very difficult time giving money to a boat builder (Brunswick) for one of their engines. I think Merc is gangster, but it turns out they still take my checks even though I don't like them.
I don't anticipate getting a bulk discount from them... ;)
And, just to get the slur right, it was "hug my nuts".
BTW, I have two 2003 and 2005 boats with zero hour 496's in them on trade right now. If you think that a 496 is indestructable you have another thing coming.

superdave013
07-25-2007, 05:17 PM
I don't anticipate getting a bulk discount from them... ;)
And, just to get the slur right, it was "hug my nuts".
BTW, I have two 2003 and 2005 boats with zero hour 496's in them on trade right now. If you think that a 496 is indestructable you have another thing coming.
LMAO, thanks for clearing up the "hug" part. Yeah as far as the 496 goes I have that pile in my 'burban. It broke a push rod the very first week I owned it. I'm talkin less then 300 miles.

NashvilleBound
07-25-2007, 05:57 PM
Were we not supposed to already have a boat in TN??? Im waiting............ (this should be interesting) or are they wanting more than one at a time?