PDA

View Full Version : Porting Cylinder Heads ?????

DansBlown73Nordic
03-09-2003, 05:08 AM
Im in the process of building a 427 BBC. I will be using a set of 781 casting # oval port heads. The heads are pretty ruff looking in the intake and exhaust.
Im just wondering if I can screw this up? I spent yesturday doing the one head. It looks much better. I need to find a longer stone for my grinder. I can't reach the bottom of the pockets.

GofastRacer
03-09-2003, 05:15 AM
You won't screw it up, all those heads need a clean up, just take the rough stuff out and blend all the sharp edges, be supprised at the results!.. :)

mister460
03-10-2003, 07:20 PM
Pay most attention to the port floors and valve pockets. Everything else just makes stuff look pretty. The short radius turn in/out of the chamber is VERY important!! Make this as wide as possible and a very smooth transition. Also, don't forget to unshroud the valves in the chamber. Use a head gasket as a stencil and grind to about .040" from the edge. Other than that, have fun and don't get too wild. Get one hole (int and exh) flow tested before and after. It's always cool to know how much of a difference a few hours of grinding and rusty boogers can make.

SchellSchock
03-12-2003, 10:51 AM
Also a good idea to scribe around the intake and exhaust port using gaskets as templates. Try to do 1 each taking notice of material removal and then use as a guide for remaining. ie: try to make all the same as close as possible.
Work on those heads will make a noticeable difference. I am running a 66' Vette 427 in my truck. I polished and smoothed as you are doing and the seat of the pants increase is "WOW"

Stab-n-Steer
03-13-2003, 07:03 AM
mister460:
It's always cool to know how much of a difference a few hours of grinding and rusty boogers can make. Been there! LMAO :D
S&S

Liberator TJ1984
03-13-2003, 07:50 AM
Go to a hardware store and buy a 1/4" drill bit extension adapter , they are about 18" long and have set screws to hold stone in place ,wish I had a pic to show you maybe someone can explain this better.. but it works great...I use one here at work to clean up hyd.cylinder bores with my 1/4" air die grinder using 1/4" arbor flapper wheels this allows me to get into narrow spaces by using the extension...
Gopherrr
By the way , clean up and polish all the oil returns while you are at it my 781's had lots of casting trash in them too.
[ March 13, 2003, 07:52 AM: Message edited by: Liberator TJ1984 ]

GofastRacer
03-13-2003, 08:44 AM
Liberator TJ1984:
Go to a hardware store and buy a 1/4" drill bit extension adapter , they are about 18" long and have set screws to hold stone in place ,wish I had a pic to show you maybe someone can explain this better.. but it works great...I use one here at work to clean up hyd.cylinder bores with my 1/4" air die grinder using 1/4" arbor flapper wheels this allows me to get into narrow spaces by using the extension...
Gopherrr
By the way , clean up and polish all the oil returns while you are at it my 781's had lots of casting trash in them too. Would you be referring to one of these? wink :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/12Extention-med.jpg

Liberator TJ1984
03-13-2003, 09:22 AM
GoFast ,that is the baby :D
Works like a dream..thanks for the pic..

GofastRacer
03-13-2003, 10:10 AM
Yep, use it all the time!.. wink :cool:

Bow Tie Omega
03-13-2003, 06:12 PM
I am doing my Oval Ports right now. I bought the pen handled flex extension for my rotozip. It is has made doing this so much more pleasant. The nasty boogers is a down side though. I have had little or no problems getting to the awkward areas.

mister460
03-13-2003, 06:43 PM
Bow Tie Omega:
The nasty boogers is a down side though. I have had little or no problems getting to the awkward areas. What, the areas of your nose? Do you use the flex handle for the boogers too? :D :D