PDA

View Full Version : Extended Warranty?

cc322
02-17-2006, 06:07 PM
How many of you have bought the factory extended warranty on your trucks regardless of make. And is it worht it?

SoCal_fun
02-17-2006, 06:15 PM
Ford F250, Toyota Tundra, Tacoma, Dodge Ram 1500 and a Dakota. Bought the extended on all of them. Wasn't cheap, but with my commute it is a must (120 mi./day).
I like the peace of mind.

RiverOtter
02-17-2006, 06:21 PM
I bought it on my 02 Burb ($1,600 cause I waited till I have 40,000 miles on it :mad: ). I figure I'm prepaying for my tranny when it granades :220v:

cc322
02-17-2006, 06:21 PM
Ford F250, Toyota Tundra, Tacoma, Dodge Ram 1500 and a Dakota. Bought the extended on all of them. Wasn't cheap, but with my commute it is a must (120 mi./day).
I like the peace of mind.
Dosent your come with the 100,000 mi warranty allready? being diesel

mike37
02-17-2006, 06:22 PM
I buy them if they offer 100% refund if unused

slingingsmoke
02-17-2006, 06:27 PM
dont buy it from the dealer.....
alot of them will tell you that a 3rd party warranty is garbage....but do your homework....many reputable auto insurance companies as well as credit unions such as mine (Los Angeles Firemen's Credit Union) has their own extended warranty for ALOT less $$$.....
I had to use my ESP from Ford recently...I purchased it for over $3K from the dealer to cover my truck bumper to bumper for 7yrs/100,000mi. It is a Powerstorke diesel....get this....not only do I have to pay a $100 deductible when I show up for ANY warranty concern, but the last time I took my truck in, a sensor went bad and I got stiffed w/ a bill for over $350.00.....
Just my $0.02
JON

Mohave Vice
02-17-2006, 06:29 PM
Yep! Got it for the 03 Yukon.

djunkie
02-17-2006, 06:31 PM
I'd get the one with the dealer. The aftermarket ones are the ones that are shady. If your car breaks down and you take it in, you have to pay for it then try to get your money back afterwards. And also you can deal with the dealer on the extended warranty. I didn't pay what was first quoted to me. They will knock the price down for you if you haggle a little.

djunkie
02-17-2006, 06:31 PM
dont buy it from the dealer.....
alot of them will tell you that a 3rd party warranty is garbage....but do your homework....many reputable auto insurance companies as well as credit unions such as mine (Los Angeles Firemen's Credit Union) has their own extended warranty for ALOT less $$$.....
I had to use my ESP from Ford recently...I purchased it for over $3K from the dealer to cover my truck bumper to bumper for 7yrs/100,000mi. It is a Powerstorke diesel....get this....not only do I have to pay a $100 deductible when I show up for ANY warranty concern, but the last time I took my truck in, a sensor went bad and I got stiffed w/ a bill for over $350.00.....
Just my $0.02
JON
Sounds like another Ford issue to me. :rollside:

cc322
02-17-2006, 06:36 PM
heres my quotes so far
Powetrain care
1. 6 years or 60,000 mi = 990.00 with 100,00 deductable 1,050 with 50.00 deductable
2. Powertrain 6years or 75,000 = 1,170
Powertrain covers 29 critical componnents
Base care covers 84 Major components
1. 6yr or 60,000 = 1,170
2. 6yr 75,000 =1,495
Keep in mind I only drive about 10,000 12,000 a year so in three years they will all expire.??????

cc322
02-17-2006, 06:38 PM
Dont go there on this thread please. :mad:

cc322
02-17-2006, 06:40 PM
I'd get the one with the dealer. The aftermarket ones are the ones that are shady. If your car breaks down and you take it in, you have to pay for it then try to get your money back afterwards. And also you can deal with the dealer on the extended warranty. I didn't pay what was first quoted to me. They will knock the price down for you if you haggle a little.
I agree I had one on a older truck from my credit union "Teachers" very good credit union and was refused a claim because it was a outside insurance co. I bitched to the cu and got all my money back on the warranty. I will only by from the dealer.

Mandelon
02-17-2006, 06:40 PM
Its only worth it if you need it......
I usually pass on it. So far never had a major problem with either ford or chevy vehicles.

djunkie
02-17-2006, 06:45 PM
Dont go there on this thread please. :mad:
:crossx: :crossx:

djunkie
02-17-2006, 06:46 PM
Its only worth it if you need it......
I usually pass on it. So far never had a major problem with either ford or chevy vehicles.
Thats the way I see. I had it on my old truck and never needed it. I'd rather have it just for the piece of mind.

Patyacht
02-17-2006, 07:03 PM
Only way to go. Got if you need it or if not used then get your $$$'s back.

shadow
02-17-2006, 07:05 PM
Most after market extended warranties suck period.I do "heavy line" dealership all day long.Ford ESP as well as Factory warranty will replace an engine,will replace a cylinder head for a broken bolt or labor to remove the broken bolt if ness to remove a cylinder head.With no hesitation.If you have valve train noise or worse a lower end concern.It will either be repaired or replaced.Most aftermarket warranties will deny broken bolts,will deny anything that isn't intrernally lubricated.Then if you do have an internal concern,The warranty company will tell the dealer to have the customer "YOU" authorize tear down for inspection of the engine.Then depending on what is found they will send out an inspector and decide wether or not it's a coverd item. If it's not covered you are now on the hook for the repairs.Seen it happen 1000 times.Not nearly what they lead you to belive is covered.Factory and extended factory warranties cover what they say and are basiclly just an extension of your basic 3yr/36k.Few different versions are availible and yes some ore covered 100 percent and others have a $50 or $100 deductible.
One last thing,I've had aftermarket warranty companies send me a junk yard engine for thier version of a replacement engine.Yes they can!factory warranties won't use junk yard parts.

Boatcop
02-17-2006, 07:05 PM
Just buy a new truck every 3 years. (or every year and a half, like I did) :)
I did get the extended warranty when I bought my '96 GMC in '99. Except that I only got to use it once, when the fuel pump went out in San Diego in '02 or so. It turned out that a $425 dollar job cost me $1,250. My auto insurance picked up the tow and the rental car.

76ANTHONY
02-17-2006, 07:08 PM
i can only speak from the gm point of veiw, yes if its gm them buy the gmpp policy, as a service advisor i used this thing all the time and it was great, i also took aftermarket ones and they usually end up screwing the customer around.
just my .02

cc322
02-17-2006, 08:01 PM
Well the only one i will purchase is the Ford factory esp one.

cc322
02-17-2006, 08:02 PM
Is that really a option?????

JAY4SPEED
02-17-2006, 09:03 PM
Most after market extended warranties suck period.I do "heavy line" dealership all day long.Ford ESP as well as Factory warranty will replace an engine,will replace a cylinder head for a broken bolt or labor to remove the broken bolt if ness to remove a cylinder head.With no hesitation.If you have valve train noise or worse a lower end concern.It will either be repaired or replaced.Most aftermarket warranties will deny broken bolts,will deny anything that isn't intrernally lubricated.Then if you do have an internal concern,The warranty company will tell the dealer to have the customer "YOU" authorize tear down for inspection of the engine.Then depending on what is found they will send out an inspector and decide wether or not it's a coverd item. If it's not covered you are now on the hook for the repairs.Seen it happen 1000 times.Not nearly what they lead you to belive is covered.Factory and extended factory warranties cover what they say and are basiclly just an extension of your basic 3yr/36k.Few different versions are availible and yes some ore covered 100 percent and others have a $50 or $100 deductible.
One last thing,I've had aftermarket warranty companies send me a junk yard engine for thier version of a replacement engine.Yes they can!factory warranties won't use junk yard parts.
I'm a GM tech and have found this exact statment to be true many times over. I've been forced to put in "junk yard" engines from aftermarket warranty companies before.
Look at it this way, with the prices of the parts today being mostly electrical modules / components, after an a/c compressor or transmission repair, the extended warranty has paid for itself.
Jay

slingingsmoke
02-17-2006, 10:13 PM
...no worries....I'm prolly gonna Lemon law this biatch pretty soon....
pops bought a '06 D-Max.. and I think I'm fallin in love....I love the turbo whine, much more noticeable than our '04 D-Max....
so.......don't sweat it....
I just hope that the Chevy's suspension will hold up.....
The Superduty's interior room (I'm 6'5") and solid axle leaf suspension are still superior in MY mind...

TheEduKATor
02-17-2006, 10:21 PM
I bought an esp for my 98 Chevy tahoe that I bought used with 40k miles on it. At 50k the tranny went out and I had to pay $100 for a new one. 52k the rear end blew out of the differental cover. I paid $100 for a new rear one. 56k cracked a head and the esp planned covered it. After the upper control arm completely ripped off of the frame I got rid of the truck but the warranty was well worth it.
Two months after the warranty went out on our boat something went wrong with the drive but the esp plan took care of a 2k job for a small deductible.
I didn't buy the esp with my 04 F-150 and now I wish I did when I purchased it. I'm currently looking into purchasing one for it. From now on I will always purchase extended service plans regardless of the make of the vehicle I purchase because I have no luck with anything that has moving parts. So far the cheapest one I could find was $1355 for 6 years 100,000 miles from http://fordwarrantys.com/. If anyone has a hook up on them for cheaper please let me know.

HCS
02-17-2006, 10:22 PM
There are a bunch of differant companies out there waiting to take your money.

djunkie
02-18-2006, 12:17 PM
...no worries....I'm prolly gonna Lemon law this biatch pretty soon....
pops bought a '06 D-Max.. and I think I'm fallin in love....I love the turbo whine, much more noticeable than our '04 D-Max....
so.......don't sweat it....
I just hope that the Chevy's suspension will hold up.....
The Superduty's interior room (I'm 6'5") and solid axle leaf suspension are still superior in MY mind...
Ya that is their weak link. Everyone of the big 3 has one. Too bad we couldn't custom build a Chevy cab and interior, Dodge Cummins engine, Chevy's Allison Trans, Ford suspension. Now that would be a kick ass truck. :rollside:

cola
02-18-2006, 04:24 PM
I dont thing the cost is over $700 to $800 for extended warrantys. What they sell the for is other story. Let's see if Jay has anything on the cost from GM on these.
Late, Mike

Mandelon
02-18-2006, 06:06 PM
I bought an esp for my 98 Chevy tahoe that I bought used with 40k miles on it. At 50k the tranny went out and I had to pay $100 for a new one. 52k the rear end blew out of the differental cover. I paid $100 for a new rear one. 56k cracked a head and the esp planned covered it. After the upper control arm completely ripped off of the frame I got rid of the truck but the warranty was well worth it.
Two months after the warranty went out on our boat something went wrong with the drive but the esp plan took care of a 2k job for a small deductible.
I didn't buy the esp with my 04 F-150 and now I wish I did when I purchased it. I'm currently looking into purchasing one for it. From now on I will always purchase extended service plans regardless of the make of the vehicle I purchase because I have no luck with anything that has moving parts. So far the cheapest one I could find was $1355 for 6 years 100,000 miles from http://fordwarrantys.com/. If anyone has a hook up on them for cheaper please let me know.
Are you sure that wasn't a Commander truck?

stvneil
02-18-2006, 06:30 PM
:confused: the way i look at it is, if you believe the car is going to fail why in the fvck are you buying it? i have probably bought 20-25 cars in my liferime and i have never needed a extended warranty.

Nord
02-18-2006, 06:31 PM
Bought an 06 Chevy Avalanche, no warranty...........................
When the Transmission goes, its the same price as the Warranty or even less when you rebuild!!!!!!

mickeyfinn
02-18-2006, 07:15 PM
Extended warranties are good for two people, the company and the buyer who would suffer direconsequences financially if their vehicle suffered a major failure. Some people lack the discipline to save money and live paycheck to paycheck. If you are one of these people then you should buy one. It is insurance, legalized gambling. Depends on how much you can afford to lose.

djunkie
02-19-2006, 12:04 AM
Extended warranties are good for two people, the company and the buyer who would suffer direconsequences financially if their vehicle suffered a major failure. Some people lack the discipline to save money and live paycheck to paycheck. If you are one of these people then you should buy one. It is insurance, legalized gambling. Depends on how much you can afford to lose.
What are you smoking? I bought the extended warranty on my last 2 trucks and I definately don't fit the profile you just stated. They are not that expensive. The dealerships will haggle on the price of it. Maybe your just too cheap to buy it in the first place. The first time you have to replace a transmission it more than pays for itself. If you don't have to use it then oh well. Its cheap insurance to me. But to say that people who buy them are the paycheck to paycheck types is wrong.

Riomouse911
02-19-2006, 03:55 AM
There is a lot of money to be made selling the extended warranties... however if you have a "bad karma" vehicle you might need one...that 90 dollar an hour labor rate at every shop is a killer...However, I have never bought one, and never needed one on a truck..
1985 Suburban (6.2 diesel no less :220v: ): 235,000 mi sold in 1999
1991 Toyota 4x 22RE engine 172,000 mi sold in 1999
1999 Ford 'stroke 130,100 mi and counting
I've had good luck changing the tranny blood every 20K and prolong in the engine oil. Mebbe my story is rare...

SDLifesaver
02-19-2006, 06:38 AM
I would have been HOSED if I didn't purchase the warranty. My Chevy has been in the service dept. more than it's been on the road.

cc322
02-19-2006, 08:39 AM
What are you smoking? I bought the extended warranty on my last 2 trucks and I definately don't fit the profile you just stated. They are not that expensive. The dealerships will haggle on the price of it. Maybe your just too cheap to buy it in the first place. The first time you have to replace a transmission it more than pays for itself. If you don't have to use it then oh well. Its cheap insurance to me. But to say that people who buy them are the paycheck to paycheck types is wrong.
I agree WTF is he thinking? :rolleyes:

cc322
02-19-2006, 08:41 AM
Ok powertrain is 1050 for three more years or 75,000 miles dosent sound tooo bad.

mickeyfinn
02-19-2006, 08:48 AM
I didn't say that those were the only people who should buy them. They are just the ones who get the most benefit from it. Chances are if you had a major failure without the extended warranty, you might get pissed off, rant about this or that piece of shit andthen shell out the cash and have it fixed.Some people would see a change in their lifestyle if they had to shell out the cash, or maybe couldn'r afford it so they may be making payments on something they couldn't use. You may buy it to take the hassle out of repairs. They buy it because they have too.

djunkie
02-19-2006, 10:52 AM
I didn't say that those were the only people who should buy them. They are just the ones who get the most benefit from it. Chances are if you had a major failure without the extended warranty, you might get pissed off, rant about this or that piece of shit andthen shell out the cash and have it fixed.Some people would see a change in their lifestyle if they had to shell out the cash, or maybe couldn'r afford it so they may be making payments on something they couldn't use. You may buy it to take the hassle out of repairs. They buy it because they have too.
Well I didn't mean to come back at you like an ass but you made it sound like it was for broke people only. My advice to someone who doesn't want to spend the money on the warranty at the time of purchasing the vehicle is to wait. I'm pretty sure you can buy the extended warranty later. In fact I have heard that sometimes you can get it even cheaper if you wait till the standard warranty is almost up.