PDA

View Full Version : Prisons in America

fatboy95
07-20-2007, 11:13 AM
DES MOINES, Iowa - Blacks in the United States are imprisoned at more than five times the rate of whites, and Hispanics are locked up at nearly double the white rate, according to a study released Wednesday by a criminal justice policy group.
The report by the Sentencing Project, a Washington-based think tank, found that states in the Midwest and Northeast have the greatest black-to-white disparity in incarceration. Iowa had the widest disparity in the nation, imprisoning blacks at more than 13 times the rate of whites.
Such figures "reflect a failure of social and economic interventions to address crime effectively," as well as racial bias in the justice system, said Marc Mauer, the group's executive director.
Vermont, New Jersey, Connecticut and Wisconsin incarcerated blacks at more than 10 times the rate of whites, the group said, citing Justice Department statistics from 2005. Vermont had a ratio of 12.5, followed by New Jersey with 12.4 and Connecticut with 12.
States with the lowest black-to-white ratio were Hawaii, with 1.9, Georgia with 3.3 and Mississippi with 3.5.
In Iowa, blacks are imprisoned at a rate more than double the national average. For every 100,000 people, Iowa incarcerates 309 whites and 4,200 blacks, the study said.
Paul Stageberg, administrator of the Iowa Division of Criminal and Juvenile Justice Planning, said the results are not surprising, but the causes are subject to interpretation.
He said the state's disproportionately high black arrest rates are likely linked to high poverty rates among blacks and lower educational achievement.
In 2001, a governor's task force released a report that said 24 percent of Iowa prison beds were occupied by black inmates even though blacks comprised just over 2 percent of the state's population.
The group that compiled Wednesday's report made several recommendations such as reviewing federal drug laws and giving judges more discretion to decide sentences rather than imposing mandatory minimum prison terms.
___

MudPumper
07-20-2007, 11:18 AM
In the words of Chris Rock, "If you livin in an old project, A new prison aint so bad!"

fatboy95
07-20-2007, 11:54 AM
So what to make the survey people happy, more whites need to go to prison to balance it all out ????
Looks like your tax dollars are hard at work conducting surveys

fatboy95
07-20-2007, 11:57 AM
So what to make the survey people happy, more whites need to go to prison to balance it all out ????
Looks like your tax dollars are hard at work conducting surveys

SB
07-20-2007, 12:03 PM
I am generally in favor of sentencing guidelines, but they are too high for crack possession and other drug crimes.
If you are a non-violent drug offender, I do not favor prison. The question should NOT be, do you use drugs?
The question oughta be, do you go to work and pay taxes?
If you go to work and pay taxes, you should not have to go to prison.

centerhill condor
07-20-2007, 12:33 PM
so then, if we interpret the data properly we should make America white and we can close prisons?!
I can't wait for Hillary to come out with this one.
CC

MKEELINE
07-20-2007, 12:34 PM
Just another example of whitie holding a brutha down.

2Driver
07-20-2007, 01:18 PM
Rape
Murder #1 or #2
Child molester
Please stand directly in front of my desk over the trap door, ah... I mean outlined square with your hands at your sides. :220v: Bye.
Problem solved.

centerhill condor
07-20-2007, 01:25 PM
is that we have more citizens in custody than China a country with more than 3 times our population.
The result of a failed drug policy. End the drug war send the boys home to inhale and enjoy.:D

MKEELINE
07-20-2007, 01:26 PM
Rape
Murder #1 or #2
Child molester
Please stand directly in front of my desk over the trap door, ah... I mean outlined square with your hands at your sides. :220v: Bye.
Problem solved.
Absolutly, eliminate these pieces of shit from the planet and it would be a much better place.

ccfdland
07-20-2007, 02:05 PM
He said the state's disproportionately high black arrest rates are likely linked to high poverty rates among blacks and lower educational achievement.
___
I thought that it would be from breaking the law?

BRSTQUEST
07-20-2007, 02:08 PM
I am generally in favor of sentencing guidelines, but they are too high for crack possession and other drug crimes.
If you are a non-violent drug offender, I do not favor prison. The question should NOT be, do you use drugs?
The question oughta be, do you go to work and pay taxes?
If you go to work and pay taxes, you should not have to go to prison.
If people who are drug addicts could hold jobs and be productive members of society there would be no problem. The problem is when Joe the Crack Man comes bebopin down the street with no money and an iche for the rock he steals from the good folks in society. Do you really want to work next to a tweaker whos spinning and has no idea what the hell is going on. Why dont we hold these people accountable for their actions and blame them for being weak minded and unable to conform to social norms????
"Pick up a copy of ESPN the Magazine, last month's issue, on San Quentin baseball team. There's a guy on the team, shortstop I believe, that is doing a minimum 50 year term for getting liquored up and stealing from convenience stores. Not robbing them at gunpoint, just taking stuff and running out the door"
So what did this fine shortstop do in the years prior to this. Sorry but this isn't holding any water. Three strikes law requires that previos felonies, and only felonies, be either dangerious or serious to count as strikes. Sorry but your shortstop sounds like at the least a three time loser but I bet he has much more on his rap sheet. Piss on these people who cant do as they should. Piss on peop[le who steal the things good people work for and prey an the weak and inocent.
Simple equation to this problem:
Black prisioner + Mexican prisioner + White prisioner = three losers!!!!

MKEELINE
07-20-2007, 02:22 PM
If people who are drug addicts could hold jobs and be productive members of society there would be no problem. The problem is when Joe the Crack Man comes bebopin down the street with no money and an iche for the rock he steals from the good folks in society. Do you really want to work next to a tweaker whos spinning and has no idea what the hell is going on. Why dont we hold these people accountable for their actions and blame them for being weak minded and unable to conform to social norms????
"Pick up a copy of ESPN the Magazine, last month's issue, on San Quentin baseball team. There's a guy on the team, shortstop I believe, that is doing a minimum 50 year term for getting liquored up and stealing from convenience stores. Not robbing them at gunpoint, just taking stuff and running out the door"
So what did this fine shortstop do in the years prior to this. Sorry but this isn't holding any water. Three strikes law requires that previos felonies, and only felonies, be either dangerious or serious to count as strikes. Sorry but your shortstop sounds like at the least a three time loser but I bet he has much more on his rap sheet. Piss on these people who cant do as they should. Piss on peop[le who steal the things good people work for and prey an the weak and inocent.
Simple equation to this problem:
Black prisioner + Mexican prisioner + White prisioner = three losers!!!!
I wouldn't question ShockwaveBob, he's now a bounty hunter and can bring you down. Bring you down to China Town.

Seadog
07-20-2007, 03:28 PM
The ideal solution would be for the courts to force them to make the prisons represent the state population. I would suggest locking up white lawyers to balance things.