PDA

View Full Version : To muffle or not to muffle...that is the ???

Partycattin
07-20-2007, 03:25 PM
I've a 22' Partycat with a 454. I put Imco Powerflows on it a year or so ago with exhaust going through the transom instead of through the drive.
The motor is pretty much stock so I'm not getting a lot of return on my investment in the HP department. It is definetly a lot louder. Boat sounds good.
The back seat of the partycat is right above the rear of the boat (not 4-6 feet like most boats). It can get pretty loud sitting back there while cruising at 40.
A friend gave me a pair of exhaust tips with the silencer insert in them. I was wondering if it would affect my HP much if I installed them.
I'm toying with trying them out. Wouldn't mind being able to hear more stereo and less exhaust. (The real solution here is to add more amps to the stereo!)

Mandelon
07-20-2007, 03:36 PM
Is a couple HP going to make a big difference with that floating stadium you call a boat. :D

brad22
07-20-2007, 03:43 PM
I believe that any good silencer system will affect HP. It wouldnt work if it didn't. You might lose 100-200 RPM from what I have heard with a basic slip-in silencer on the 496.
Good Luck
Brad

Mountainstone
07-20-2007, 04:42 PM
Mount a switchable exhaust. Through-transom for sounding cool, and through the drive when you are cruising.

Mike67rs
07-21-2007, 10:26 PM
Unless you launch at the marina I wouldnt worry about it. I lost some performance with the slip-in mufflers. If I had it to do over again, I would not have had them installed. Mike

BigDogIvan
07-21-2007, 11:41 PM
Mount a switchable exhaust. Through-transom for sounding cool, and through the drive when you are cruising.
That's what I was thinking. A silant choice setup.

LUVNLIFE
07-22-2007, 08:44 AM
I believe switchable exhaust is illiegal in California. It has to do with the operator knowing he is too loud and then switching to the muffled side I believe;)

sleekcraft80
07-22-2007, 08:47 AM
I believe switchable exhaust is illiegal in California.;)
Didn't you know that EVERYTHING is illegal in california?

LUVNLIFE
07-22-2007, 09:07 AM
Didn't you know that EVERYTHING is illegal in california?
LOL. Yes I do and can't wait to leave this hell hole:D

sleekcraft80
07-22-2007, 09:50 AM
LOL. Yes I do and can't wait to leave this hell hole:D
Hopefully I will be putting the house up for sale after the first of the year. Then moving to maybe havi around the summer. I will not boat in california waters. Too many restrictions

Partycattin
07-22-2007, 08:11 PM
Would love to put a switchable system in, just don't have an extra grand sitting around.
I think I'll slip the silencer tips in for the next trip and see how the boat responds.
Thanks