PDA

View Full Version : AV GAS Mix Your Own 100 Octane Low Lead

Boa1277
07-20-2007, 06:52 PM
There is a big discussion on the benefits of AV gas on MX Racing forum and alot of the guys are mixing their own AV gas. After much research I cant really make up my mind if I want to try and run my own mix. Right now I am running 15 gallons of AV gas and 25 gallons of super unleaded and it works real well. I really dont know enough about the refineries and the way the truly mix these hydrocarbons, but if it is as easy as dumping in a can of Toulene to my super unleaded my gas bill will go down quite a bit. They were getting 4.25 a gallon for 100 octane unleaded at Herbst in Parker, The way I figure it I will be able to run my mix for about 3.50 a gallon. Here is the information on Toulene let me know what you think.
Here is some interesting info that should ease your fear about using Toluene.
Toluene is a very safe choice because it is one of the main octane boosters used by oil companies in producing ordinary gasoline of all grades. Thus if toluene is indeed harmful to your engine as feared, your (cars and bikes) engine would have disintegrated long ago since ordinary pump gasoline can contain as much as 50% aromatic hydrocarbons (not all of which are Toluene).
Chemically, Toluene is a pure hydrocarbon (C7H8). i.e. it contains only hydrogen and carbon atoms. It belongs to a particular category of hydrocarbons called aromatic hydrocarbons. Complete combustion of toluene yields CO2 and H2O. There are no metallic compounds (lead, magnesium etc), no nitro compounds and no oxygen atoms in toluene. It is made up of exactly the same ingredients as ordinary gasoline. In fact it is one of the main ingredients of gasoline. Toluene has a RON octane rating of 121 and a MON rating of 107, leading to a (R+M)/2 rating of 114. (R+M)/2 is how ordinary fuels are rated in the US. Note that toluene has a sensitivity rating of 121-107=14. This compares favorably with alcohols which have sensitivities in the 20-30 range. The more sensitive a fuel is the more its performance degrades under load. Toluene's low sensitivity means that it is an excellent fuel for a heavily loaded engine (like an MX bikes engine).
Toluene is denser than ordinary gasoline (0.87 g/mL vs. 0.72-0.74) and contains more energy per unit volume. Thus combustion of toluene leads to more energy being liberated and thus more power generated. This is in contrast to oxygenated octane boosters like ethanol or MTBE which contain less energy per unit volume compared to gasoline.
Just as a side note Chevron's published composition of 100 octane aviation fuel http://www.chevron.com/products/pro...omposition.shtm shows that toluene comprises up to 14% alone and is the predominant aromatic hydrocarbon.
Thinking about pure toluene??? don't !!!
Because toluene is such an effective anti knock fuel it also means that it is more difficult to ignite at low temperatures. Formula 1 cars that ran on 84% toluene needed to have hot radiator air diverted to heat its fuel tank to 70C (which is 158 degrees Fahrenheit) to assist its vaporization. Thus too strong a concentration of toluene will lead to poor cold start and running characteristics. I recommend experimenting with small increases in concentration until you can no longer detect an improvement.
If you are having trouble finding Toulene you should be able to buy it at any paint store.

AZJD
07-20-2007, 07:04 PM
I never liked to run av gas just because it has a bunch of agents added to it for anti icing and such. I used 76 100 octane. VP 112 mixed with a 92 octane pump gas is your best bet.

Boa1277
07-20-2007, 07:41 PM
I also used to mix the 112 VP with92 but the lead in the VP screws up the 02
sensors in a fuel injected motor. At least that is what a buddy told me. Also by running the Toulene and 92 Unleaded you should not get any of the anti icing agents. My biggest worry is will the fuel truly mix I know the refineries use all kinds of heat a pressure to get these hydrocarbons to actually bond.

jockorace
07-20-2007, 07:56 PM
Without getting into all the technical mumbo-jumbo........When running at Clearlake years ago, I ran my previous blown Sanger Flat for 10 seasons (spinning 7300 rpm) on LL100 Av-gas with 10% Toluene added and Marvel Mystery Oil in the tank. This was advice I learned from the local ski-race boys (Gary Rowen,Dick Seiler, Bud Simpson, Hal Reidel). These were not like the drag race bunch, thinking nothing of 'practicing' for the ski reaces on a Saturday and burn thru 50 gallons of fuel in a few hours. It was cheap and easy to obtain back then. Jocko

3 daytona`s
07-20-2007, 08:43 PM
Max Race,Street Race on and on.I have used it for years,reasearch it then make up your mind

HokeySon
07-20-2007, 08:44 PM
Below is something that I saved a couple of years ago, but never got around to experimenting with. I remember thinking this was a cool idea at the time, but the feeling passed. One of the benefits of ADD is not having the attention span to act on everything that I think would be cool to try -- keeps me from blowing up the garage playing mad scientist.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Editor's note: I would NOT suggest that a person use the following fuel mixtures without considering the detrimental effects on your engine, vital engine components (O2 sensor, etc), and other potential damage. That said, the information is interesting.
Original published in:
GS-Xtra
1213 Gornto Road
Valdosta, GA 31602
(912) 244-0577
Editor: Richard Lasetter, president Gran Sport Club of America (GSCA)
Formula #1 - Toluene
R+M/2.........114
Cost...........$2.50/gal
Mixtures with 92 Octane Premium
10%...........94.2 Octane
20%...........96.4 Octane
30%...........98.6 Octane
Notes: Common ingredient in Octane Boosters in a can. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, i.e. from 92 to 92.3. Often costs $3-5 for 12-16 ounces, when it can be purchased for less than $3/gal at chemical supply houses or paint stores.
Formula #2 - Xylene
R+M/2.........117
Cost...........$2.75/gal
10%...........94.5 Octane
20%...........97.0 Octane
30%...........99.5 Octane
Notes: Similar to Toluene. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, i.e. from 92 to 92.3. Usually mixed with Toluene and advertised as *race formula*.
Formula #3 - Methyl-tertiary-butyl-ether (MTBE)
R+M/2.........118
Cost...........$3.50/gal
10%...........94.6 Octane
20%...........97.2 Octane
30%...........99.8 Octane
Notes: Oxygenate. Very common in octane booster products. Has lower BTU content than toluene or xylene, but oxygenate effect makes the gasoline burn better and produce more energy.
Formula #4 - Methanol or Ethanol
R+M/2.........101
Cost...........$0.60 - $1.75/gal
10%...........94.3 Octane (Methanol)
10%...........94.7 Octane (Ethanol)
20%...........Not Recommended
Notes: Methanol is wood alcohol. Ethanol is grain alcohol and found in Gasohol in 10% ratios. Both alcohols are mildly corrosive and will eat gas tank linings, rubber and aluminum if used in excessive ratios. Main ingredient in "Gas Dryers", combine with water.
Formula #5 - Isopropyl Alcohol and Tertiary Butyl Alcohol
R+M/2.........101
Cost...........$0.60-$1.50/gal
10%...........94.5 Octane
20%...........Not Recommended
30%...........Not Recommended
Notes: Similar to Methanol/Ethanol. Isopropyl Alcohol is simply rubbing alcohol.
Sample Mixture
To make your own octane booster, it is easiest to make up a large batch, and then bottle it up in "dosage-size" uses.
Below is the basic formula of one of the popular octane booster products. To make eight 16 ounce bottles (128 oz = 1 gal):
100 oz of toluene for octane boost
25 oz of mineral spirits (cleaning agent)
3 oz of transmission fluid (lubricating agent)
This product is advertised as "octane booster with cleaning agent *and* lubricating agent!". Diesel fuel or kerosene can be substituted for mineral spirits and light turbine oil can be substituted for transmission fluid. Color can be added with petroleum

Boa1277
07-21-2007, 07:23 AM
Max Race,Street Race on and on.I have used it for years,reasearch it then make up your mind
Thanks that tells me alot, obviously you need to add lubricants and maybe even a cleaner. I may have to try out a gallon of ? one of those.:D

Boa1277
07-21-2007, 07:25 AM
Without getting into all the technical mumbo-jumbo........When running at Clearlake years ago, I ran my previous blown Sanger Flat for 10 seasons (spinning 7300 rpm) on LL100 Av-gas with 10% Toluene added and Marvel Mystery Oil in the tank. This was advice I learned from the local ski-race boys (Gary Rowen,Dick Seiler, Bud Simpson, Hal Reidel). These were not like the drag race bunch, thinking nothing of 'practicing' for the ski reaces on a Saturday and burn thru 50 gallons of fuel in a few hours. It was cheap and easy to obtain back then. Jocko
Thanks for the reply, I really dont think I need that much octane yet! Maybe when I add the supercharger!:D

Trailer Park Casanova
07-21-2007, 07:45 AM
100 octane unleaded is dispensed from the pump at Terribles in Parker.
About a buck more a gallon than Prem.
I cut it to about 95 octane for the Wifes S2000 and the kids hi comp quads.
Works tits.