PDA

View Full Version : Summit bones me twice on wrong spark plug wires... Help

probablecause
07-20-2007, 07:37 PM
Since I have been sent two wrong sets of MSD spark plug wires from Summit Racing, I am turning to you guys to help me out. I have an old set of 7mm generic wires that are done and want to upgrade to a 8.5mm set. I swapped my older distributor and coil to a Mallory Sprintmag and ignition setup. The Mag has a standard cap and my plug boots must be straight (not 90 degree).
So Summit tech recommends and sends out my first box two weeks ago (MSD Part# 31489) and both ends are 90 degrees. I call back and re-explain all of the above and they recommend Part# 31369. That set arrives and the plug boots are straight but this time the 90 degree wire boots are too small to go over the nipples on the cap and since the mag is pretty tall, several of the new wires are not long enough. Also, there was no coil/ignition wire either. Their website is very vague with the "detail" descriptions of wire sets, so here I am.
Can someone please tell me what MSD part number I actually need or recommend another compatible make and their part number? Blue or Red wires but 8.5mm preferred. Thanks.

Daytona100
07-20-2007, 07:39 PM
I use Jegs. Never had a problem and fast shipping. Mike:D

Slacker
07-20-2007, 07:48 PM
I use Jegs. Never had a problem and fast shipping. Mike:D
Exactly... last time i bought something from Summit they messed it up, so i stick with JEGS. You might want to check Rex Marine for their MSD wire kits. They have boat lengths are ready cut and ready to use, thats what i did for my new motor. I am not sure if they will be long enough for the mag, call and see. They were pretty much the same price as Jegs, hope this helps

probablecause
07-20-2007, 07:50 PM
I use Jegs. Never had a problem and fast shipping. Mike:D. It is part of my yearly maintenance.

biggraypig
07-20-2007, 07:55 PM
Jegs for me

boats&bars
07-20-2007, 07:57 PM
Since I have been sent two wrong sets of MSD spark plug wires from Summit Racing, I am turning to you guys to help me out. I have an old set of 7mm generic wires that are done and want to upgrade to a 8.5mm set. I swapped my older distributor and coil to a Mallory Sprintmag and ignition setup. The Mag has a standard cap and my plug boots must be straight (not 90 degree).
So Summit tech recommends and sends out my first box two weeks ago (MSD Part# 31489) and both ends are 90 degrees. I call back and re-explain all of the above and they recommend Part# 31369. That set arrives and the plug boots are straight but this time the 90 degree wire boots are too small to go over the nipples on the cap and since the mag is pretty tall, several of the new wires are not long enough. Also, there was no coil/ignition wire either. Their website is very vague with the "detail" descriptions of wire sets, so here I am.
Can someone please tell me what MSD part number I actually need or recommend another compatible make and their part number? Blue or Red wires but 8.5mm preferred. Thanks.
use mallory wires and you will be fine, I bought the high dollar tool and make my own but it can be a pain in the azz.

BlueNun
07-21-2007, 10:44 PM
Ive used summit a few times and was never very happy. If I had a fairly in depth question the asnwer I would get is "yeah that should work" to no matter what I asked. I swear the last guy i talked to was playing Nintendo while taking my order. Stick with Jegs and usally a few bucks cheaper

pce680
07-22-2007, 09:23 AM
If you give Summit the correct number you will not have a problem.If you don't know,call MSD tech.Then you can order the correct wires.Summit,Jegs,Rex,they don't know what you need,they just sell parts.

Heatseeker
07-22-2007, 05:44 PM
I use Summit all the time, mostly because usually I get my orders the next day. But I don't depend on their "tech" guys. I use their website(which is very comprehensive) to make my orders.

Cas
07-22-2007, 06:50 PM
why not go to the MSD website, figure out what you need and then make the order. Personally, I always get the build your own sets of wires (Taylors) so I can custom fit them myself.

76 Bonneville
07-22-2007, 08:47 PM
Summit has done right by me. Last summer we had to go through the motor in our Advantage. During the cam breakin it went flat so I called Summit explaned we did. They made some suggestions, sent out a new cam and reimbused me for the first one. The only problem I've had is when I grab the wrong part # or mis read the application. I have a few extra gaskets laying around and thats my fault. Summit is only 2 days to So. Cal. regular shipping,gotta love that.:D

ck7684
07-23-2007, 09:37 AM
I personally wouldnt rely on any of their tech guys because you just dont really know who your dealing with or how experienced they are. I have had better luck with Summit regarding returns and friendly customer service. I still use Jegs too, but I got upset with them years ago and started using Summit and have been happy with them. They are probly both about equal though, really...you just need to know exactly what you want before ordering, which can be a pain when you arent exactly sure, as in this case, when you want a minor detail and cant get a correct answer...

TahitiTiger
07-23-2007, 10:37 AM
you will most likely always end up with wires too short, due to your mag. I would recomend your local speed shop. I know mine carries MSD wire in a spool, with all the different ends. Price is a little higher, but they make em, and they fit like a glove. :D