PDA

View Full Version : Ultra to launch 32

Strippoker
07-21-2007, 11:13 AM
Just in the event you missed the latest west coast buzz. It's official. We decided to hold off on tooling the 27 FC and go straight to tooling a 32. We are going full throttle on this project in order to have one in time for the LA show 2008. This will be a true tunnel, 10' beam, 32' length, full single canopy, full inner liner boat.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Ultra-32-Shadow-FC-renderin.jpg
"32 will be the full length. Running surface just over 30. Think of it kind of like a 30 Skater with kind of an MTI back on it. We are now doing a lot of one off custom tooling. So anything is possible for finished styling. We do offer front and back cap, as well as full cap. Yes, it is being designed to accept 6 drives.
Lay up will depend on what the customer wants. We can do a standard wet lay, vaccum bag, pre preg epoxy, or resin infusion. We have done aout five times as many resin infused boats as any West coast custom builder has done, so we're pretty good at it.
The full canopy will be a lot like the one going on our 26 Steatlh. The same company makes our canopies that did the 388 Skater canopy.
We will have a poker run edition available. Most people are showing interest in having the driver/throttle man configuration with the buckets together and throttles in the middle.
Most will be set up as a "fast" cat style, but we will build whatever the customer wants. So some mid cabin seats. porta potti, bed, set up will be offered too.
It will be able to run in the ocean.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/32_bottom_4.jpg

02HoWaRd26
07-21-2007, 04:46 PM
WOW that looks to be a bitc#en boat when completed... keep the updates coming as you guys proceed with this. Any esimate of pricing...

Garrddogg
07-21-2007, 07:24 PM
Thats a great looking boat!:D

Boatlesss
07-21-2007, 08:10 PM
Wow, a West Coast boat with a 10' beam and no pod.
I wonder if Rob King took the measurements off the 32' Skater he was working on/splashing for Nordic?
Looks pretty cool. Sponsons look a bit narrow for a SSM#6 though.

Strippoker
07-21-2007, 08:57 PM
The beam is the width. Most boats are 8'6" max. Some are 9'. We went a full 10' for stability, performance and interior room.
Some boats have an inner liner pan instead of a floor. This boat will have a full inner liner, including side panels, seat bases, etc. It will also have a double engine hatch with scoops. The engine hatchs will open from the center and have hydraulic scissor hinges on each side.

Boatlesss
07-21-2007, 09:04 PM
What is the projected price range?
Is the LA Boat show the projected launch for the first one?

02HoWaRd26
07-23-2007, 07:55 AM
Let's see more of this thing!!!

Boatlesss
07-23-2007, 08:34 AM
Yea, more pics!
It is a nice looking boat, and that is 90% of the battle right there.
Seating for four in the rear. Nice sized cockpit.

dicudmore
07-23-2007, 12:05 PM
Wow, a West Coast boat with a 10' beam and no pod.
I wonder if Rob King took the measurements off the 32' Skater he was working on/splashing for Nordic?
Looks pretty cool. Sponsons look a bit narrow for a SSM#6 though.
I'm pretty sure that Nordic splash was WITH permission--minor details I know :wink:

RiverDave
07-23-2007, 01:43 PM
Holy Smokes!!! That's a good looking boat.
RD

INSman
07-23-2007, 01:50 PM
Killer looking boat, just need a "NO SCOOP" option to get more gals resting comfortably on the back of the boat :D

riverracerx
07-24-2007, 08:45 AM
The Nordic/Skater bottom was licensed by permission from Douglas Marine. Randy Davis paid them for the bottom and Nordic tooled the top deck.
No splashing there. All legit.

TOBTEK
07-24-2007, 09:08 AM
QUESTION FOR YOU...... NOT BASHING JUST ASKING. when you build something like this from a drawing on a piece of paper, and not splash or licensing a proven bottom. HOW do you know its going to perform as expected, and not hop all over the water ( like rockys :) ) ? Are you guys going to run plugs like Nordic is doing? Looks great so far.

NashvilleBound
07-26-2007, 04:20 PM
Killer looking boat, just need a "NO SCOOP" option to get more gals resting comfortably on the back of the boat :D
I hear the second one will be that way..........

INSman
07-26-2007, 04:27 PM
QUESTION FOR YOU...... NOT BASHING JUST ASKING. when you build something like this from a drawing on a piece of paper, and not splash or licensing a proven bottom. HOW do you know its going to perform as expected, and not hop all over the water ( like rockys :) ) ? Are you guys going to run plugs like Nordic is doing? Looks great so far.
GREAT question, often wondered the same :idea:

Boatlesss
07-26-2007, 09:43 PM
That is a great question.
How in the world does someone know how to make a bottom that works? There clearly are more ways to make something wrong than make them right so the odds are stacked against it even working in the first place.
Then throw in the boats configuration: Open Bow, Closed Bow, Bravos and even SSM#6 drives.
All have different configurations and different needs.
It seems like picking the lottery numbers would be easier.

40FlatDeck
07-27-2007, 07:56 AM
I have always wondered how in the hell these people put up so much money to build a new plug and do not know how it will perform. I'm sure they think/hope it will do well but all the things I have read about the placement of steps, strakes, etc., what a needle in a hay stack.:eek:

Cole Trickle
07-27-2007, 08:00 AM
I have always wondered how in the hell these people put up so much money to build a new plug and do not know how it will perform. I'm sure they think/hope it will do well but all the things I have read about the placement of steps, strakes, etc., what a needle in a hay stack.:eek:
Just let them borrow your boat for a couple weeks to be safe!!!:D
40 sounds better than 32 anyways;):D

Havasu 928
07-27-2007, 12:47 PM
Not here to bash Ultra I've owned a few of John's boats, this 32 looks awesome.... I bought one of the first 27 Shadows and all I have to say is I wish they had made a prototype first and got the porpoising figured out before they released it to the general public..Never again will I buy the first ones out of the plug...

THOR
07-27-2007, 01:40 PM
Sounds like a winner JW; especially cuz all these folks are bashing. That is a tell tale sign of jealousy. Funny how that happens when you make something off the hook. Sorry about the interuption, haters post up again. :rolleyes:

ULTRA28
07-27-2007, 01:52 PM
Not here to bash Ultra I've owned a few of John's boats, this 32 looks awesome.... I bought one of the first 27 Shadows and all I have to say is I wish they had made a prototype first and got the porpoising figured out before they released it to the general public..Never again will I buy the first ones out of the plug...
What 27 did you have? I don't ever recall any of the 27 Shadows having a porpoise problem. I have made some changes to the bottom over the years for better top speed.

Havasu 928
07-27-2007, 01:55 PM
Sounds like a winner JW; especially cuz all these folks are bashing. That is a tell tale sign of jealousy. Funny how that happens when you make something off the hook. Sorry about the interuption, haters post up again. :rolleyes:
Not jealous at all John builds a awesome boat, just sharing my experience on buying a new untested boat...if I was in the market for a 32 iam sure I would consider a Ultra.

Havasu 928
07-27-2007, 02:08 PM
What 27 did you have? I don't ever recall any of the 27 Shadows having a porpoise problem. I have made some changes to the bottom over the years for better top speed.
I believe I had #4 or #5 ?? smooth water over 65mph It would start to bounce up and down by lowering the tabs it would smooth out but off course the speed would fall, If the water was a little choppy it never seemed to effect the ride and you could run it up to it's top speed of 80mph. John not trying to bash you at all, you build a fine product was giving the readers my opinion on buying un tested 100,000.00+ boats.

ULTRA28
07-27-2007, 02:12 PM
I don't know about Rocky's boat, but I have heard of a few cats that have or had problems porpoising. Some from the West some from the East.
We have enough people helping with the design of the 32 that I am confident we will not be having any issues with it. We took into consideration the problems of the other boats out there, along with looking at what works and why it works. Without getting into exactly what we did to make this bottom work I can say that I am not loosing any sleep at night wondering if it will or will not work, and NO, we did not splash or take blueprints off of another compnies boat. Either way, I will be building the first one as a test boat to run before we start on the second boat just to be sure.
Running a plug isn't very feasable, because of the weight of the plug and the fact that it would be ruined after all the testing. We don't even so much as let sunlight hit our plug until the molds have been made off of it. It will crack up and become worthless. You have to make an actual boat out of a mold to do any testing. Some companies will start with another bottom, whether it is one of there own or one of there competitors and just make some minor changes to it. You can run that, but not a new tool from scratch.

ULTRA28
07-27-2007, 02:15 PM
I believe I had #4 or #5 ?? smooth water over 65mph It would start to bounce up and down by lowering the tabs it would smooth out but off course the speed would fall, If the water was a little choppy it never seemed to effect the ride and you could run it up to it's top speed of 80mph. John not trying to bash you at all, you build a fine product was giving the readers my opinion on buying un tested 100,000.00+ boats.
I didn't take it as a bash. I just don't remember any of my boats having a problem or needing tabs. We put tabs on for faster plane time, but not for porpoise. What color and graphics was it? and what engine package?

ULTRA28
07-27-2007, 02:18 PM
Latest picture of the bottom. A lot more bondo and glass to go, but it should be ready for primer next week.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/32-3.jpg

Havasu 928
07-27-2007, 02:27 PM
I didn't take it as a bash. I just don't remember any of my boats having a problem or needing tabs. We put tabs on for faster plane time, but not for porpoise. What color and graphics was it? and what engine package?
All white with purple tribals, engine package was a HP500 and ITS drive beautiful boat ran hard and turned allot of heads!!! good luck on the 32 once you get a few on the water I may be interested in another.

ULTRA28
07-27-2007, 02:48 PM
All white with purple tribals, engine package was a HP500 and ITS drive beautiful boat ran hard and turned allot of heads!!! good luck on the 32 once you get a few on the water I may be interested in another.
I remember the boat. It was the one we used for a Hot Boat test and our ad for a couple of years. I don't remember it porpoising, but if you say it did. I know we don't normally run a standoff or ITS on the 27, that could have something to do with it.

Havasu 928
07-27-2007, 02:53 PM
I remember the boat. It was the one we used for a Hot Boat test and our ad for a couple of years. I don't remember it porpoising, but if you say it did. I know we don't normally run a standoff or ITS on the 27, that could have something to do with it.
Never the less, John good luck with the 32 I'am sure I'll see it soon in Havasu wouldn't mind going on a test ride maybe ready for another one soon.

Bense468
07-27-2007, 02:59 PM
Wow this is going to be a bad ass boat. Way out of my league but rad none the less.

Boatlesss
07-27-2007, 04:19 PM
How in the world do you pick that thing up off the floor and transport it?
Looks like one would need a crane and the thing looks to be inside a shop. Guess the shop has a high ceiling?

ULTRA28
07-27-2007, 04:22 PM
How in the world do you pick that thing up off the floor and transport it?
Looks like one would need a crane and the thing looks to be inside a shop. Guess the shop has a high ceiling?
Yeah, it's a pain in the ass. We use A-frames to flip it at this stage. When the plug is done we will make the top mold first, then flip the entire plug with the top mold on it to do the bottom mold. We use a crane for that. I will try to find a picture of when we did the 28 Stealth.

andy01
07-27-2007, 08:09 PM
If I remember right, was it a open bow?
Andy

Boatlesss
07-28-2007, 09:34 PM
Yeah, it's a pain in the ass. We use A-frames to flip it at this stage. When the plug is done we will make the top mold first, then flip the entire plug with the top mold on it to do the bottom mold. We use a crane for that. I will try to find a picture of when we did the 28 Stealth.
Must be a nervous moment

Havasu 928
07-29-2007, 11:00 AM
If I remember right, was it a open bow?
Andy
Yes open bow, if I can find some pics I'll post.

Phat Matt
08-01-2007, 06:13 PM
Looks pretty slick! Good luck with it.

andy01
08-02-2007, 08:44 AM
Yes open bow, if I can find some pics I'll post.
I think I demoed that boat once. Did you have a house in the keys in Parker? or a girlfriend that did?
Andy

shadow
08-02-2007, 08:56 AM
I remember that boat must have been #3 cause it was one ahead of mine and i'm pretty sure mine was #4.

Havasu 928
08-02-2007, 12:46 PM
I think I demoed that boat once. Did you have a house in the keys in Parker? or a girlfriend that did?
Andy
Lived in the Parker Keys for awhile never boated there with this boat always at Havasu. Still looking for some Pics,

andy01
08-02-2007, 01:28 PM
Lived in the Parker Keys for awhile never boated there with this boat always at Havasu. Still looking for some Pics,
Yeah I know the boat and you. I think. I will try and post some pictures tonight when I get home.

phebus
08-02-2007, 01:35 PM
Do you drink Coors Light, and have a friend with a stick finger? :D

Charley
08-02-2007, 02:21 PM
very nice looking ride....rendering looks rob king-esque ;)
Interesting to see a west coast Ocean cat ;)

Havasu 928
08-02-2007, 02:48 PM
Do you drink Coors Light, and have a friend with a stick finger? :D
Yeap that would be me what are you doing later? Heading for a CL at 5:00 hope I can hide from stick man.

ULTRA28
08-02-2007, 02:49 PM
very nice looking ride....rendering looks rob king-esque ;)
Interesting to see a west coast Ocean cat ;)
Yep, Rob has been back doing tooling for us again for the past year. He got his start tooling boats back in 1996 when we tooled the 22 Stealth. He has had a hand in one way or another with every boat we've tooled since then. He just finished our 26 Stealth FC which we will have the first one out of the mold in about three weeks.

Havasu 928
08-02-2007, 02:50 PM
Yeah I know the boat and you. I think. I will try and post some pictures tonight when I get home.
That would be great if you can find some I havn't had luck looking..

phebus
08-02-2007, 03:44 PM
Yeap that would be me what are you doing later? Heading for a CL at 5:00 hope I can hide from stick man.
Heading over to Cha Bones to meet Throttle, and then going to check out the new upstairs at the Firehouse. Might turn into a bar crawl and end up at Maddogs. Wish me luck. :D

Reaper1
08-03-2007, 08:00 AM
Heading over to Cha Bones to meet Throttle, and then going to check out the new upstairs at the Firehouse. Might turn into a bar crawl and end up at Maddogs. Wish me luck. :D
Sounds like a tough life Rick. ;)

FastTimmy
08-06-2007, 01:44 PM
It's funny. Rob's designs seem to pop up in all his customers boats even when the customer thinks they are the only one that Rob has drawn it for....
I've had three people all boat Mfg. tell me that ideas Rob sold them or charged them for showed up on competitors boats....:rolleyes:

FastTimmy
08-06-2007, 01:46 PM
It's funny. Rob's designs seem to pop up in all his customers boats even when the customer thinks they are the only one that Rob has drawn it for....
I've had three people all boat Mfg. tell me that ideas Rob sold them or charged them for showed up on competitors boats....:rolleyes:

MR FLYIN VEE
08-06-2007, 04:51 PM
Nice :D

MR FLYIN VEE
08-06-2007, 04:51 PM
Nice :D :D

MR FLYIN VEE
08-06-2007, 04:52 PM
Nice:D :D

FastTimmy
08-07-2007, 04:47 PM
I see you had the same posting problem I did...:D

MR FLYIN VEE
08-07-2007, 05:34 PM
I see you had the same posting problem I did...:D
YUP.

Strippoker
08-08-2007, 02:56 PM
update on the pics
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/32brownprimerbottom1.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/32brownprimerbottom2.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/32brownprimerbottom3.jpg

slowinhavasu
08-08-2007, 07:10 PM
Nice job John , it looks great....

sigepmock
08-09-2007, 05:40 AM
Looking good!:D

RP2
08-13-2007, 06:36 AM
Real class act.:rolleyes:

Johnwithjm
08-15-2007, 02:23 PM
Here are a few update pictures
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/grey_primer_side.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/grey_primer.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/grey_primer_back.JPG

andy01
08-15-2007, 04:09 PM
Here are a few update pictures
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/grey_primer_side.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/grey_primer.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/grey_primer_back.JPG
Man that is looking great.
Andy

Strippoker
09-06-2007, 09:03 AM
updates are here
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/bottomflipping.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/bottom-flipped.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/32back.jpg

Strippoker
10-02-2007, 03:54 PM
oct 2 pics
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/32o2.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/32o3.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/32o4.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/32o6.jpg

Charley
10-02-2007, 04:36 PM
Looking Good John!

Tom Slick
10-03-2007, 09:48 AM
Looking good, damn it looks wide! Looks like you can have one hell of a party in the cockpit from the size of it!:D

Bling Bling
10-03-2007, 07:42 PM
Looking good, damn it looks wide! Looks like you can have one hell of a party in the cockpit from the size of it!:D
Ah Slick what about the West coast boat with no center pod. Very nice 32.

plaster dave
10-04-2007, 12:10 AM
That thing looks SICK!!!

That Guy
10-08-2007, 12:32 PM
John.....looks freakin' awesome...can't wait to see it done...:)

Strippoker
10-30-2007, 12:07 PM
The Canopy will be one piece they are still working on that part so No the canopy isn't split down the middle to allow your mullet to blow in the wind
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/web410.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/web310.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/web214.jpg

the_gray_goose
10-30-2007, 04:35 PM
very nice! can't wait to see it done. thanks for sharing the build photos.

Strippoker
11-14-2007, 04:10 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/topfirstprimer3.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/topfirstprimer4.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/topfirstprimer2.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/topfirstprimer.JPG

SoCalHD
11-14-2007, 07:21 PM
Wow!!!!!

mbrown2
11-14-2007, 07:53 PM
Nice...I look at that and just think carpel tunnel from all the sanding....very nice!

INSman
11-14-2007, 07:56 PM
Looks like it is coming along okay :rolleyes: :D

shueman
11-14-2007, 08:11 PM
Lookin' Good.... :cool:

sigepmock
11-14-2007, 08:44 PM
Damn that things just gets better looking....

riverracerx
11-14-2007, 08:48 PM
Did we see a price yet? :idea:

BigBoyBlue
11-14-2007, 08:48 PM
amazing transformation.

INSman
11-14-2007, 09:07 PM
Did we see a price yet? :idea:
Single Merc 525 or twin Ilmor 710's ?!? :idea: :D

Magic34
11-14-2007, 09:16 PM
Single Merc 525 or twin Ilmor 710's ?!? :idea: :D
I think even more exotic. Something custom and not seen often. HAve any ideas? :devil: :D :idea:

INSman
11-14-2007, 09:19 PM
I think even more exotic. Something custom and not seen often. HAve any ideas? :devil: :D :idea:
You my young friend have just ordered a nice tall glass of "Shut the fock up" !!! :boxingguy
Call WW, he has a new job for you......;)

havaduner
11-15-2007, 07:31 AM
[QUOTE=INSman;2895461]You my young friend have just ordered a nice tall glass of "Shut the fock up" !!! :boxingguy
Damn, is someone cranky this morning?:mad: :D

drejustice
11-15-2007, 01:00 PM
Can I get a "deckboat" version for insurance reasons;)