PDA

View Full Version : What happened at Windsor?

Throttle
07-21-2007, 10:14 PM
Winsor closed late this afternoon, sending boats to the Marina... what happened, rumors are lurking 2 dead...
anyone? details?

Throttle
07-22-2007, 06:31 AM
no news on this :idea:

Not So Fast
07-22-2007, 06:47 AM
Come on Cam, you are the one who says "dont spread rumors" remember;) NSF

Dog Pen
07-22-2007, 08:44 AM
I got off the water @ 8:00 after waiting in a 2 hour line @ the marina.
good people, they did'nt make me pay.(money was on the boat).
Hope the windsor closing was not because of a death.

voodoomedman
07-22-2007, 10:03 AM
I got off the water @ 8:00 after waiting in a 2 hour line @ the marina.
good people, they did'nt make me pay.(money was on the boat).
Hope the windsor closing was not because of a death.
Are you $hitting me. They must have been told to let people pull out because of the accident. A few months back when there were 5 -6 footers in Windsor Basin I dropped my Father in Law off to get my truck and after the walk to Windsor from the Channel and then drive to the Marina he told them the situation and about the kids on board and my pregnant wife (his pregnant daughter) and they just said "$10". Not even a I'm sorry but unfortunately I have to charge I hope everything is okay. My father in law said "I just wanted to see what kind of people you really are after hearing the rumors and now I know". The idiot at the shack just smiled and evil grin. I understand having to charge but have some compassion. That's not my first story about them either. I won't give them a red cent.

Dog Pen
07-22-2007, 10:09 AM
I have read stories like that.
That is why I still launch at Windsor.

jackedup909
07-22-2007, 10:31 AM
why not use site six instead my yearly pass jets me in there with no charge

voodoomedman
07-22-2007, 10:39 AM
why not use site six instead my yearly pass jets me in there with no charge
Several reasons.
Site Six waits can be ridiculous.
The ramp has a nasty drop off that likes to screw up trailers.
And most of all because it is free. When things are free then a certain element shows up. $100 bucks gets a yearly pass at Windsor which can also be used at all state parks. I launch Windsor because it is down the street from the house and we get on an off the water early. On a holiday weekend or if for whatever reason the ramps in town suck I go down to Cattail. Nice ramp and the Rangers are awesome. That's the thing that Windsor lacks. The Rangers sit in the booth and if they are down by the ramps they are just looking for registration on the boats or drunks or whatever. Down at Cattail they are directing traffic and make people move if they are blocking the ramp or loading on the ramp instead of in the prep lane. If only they moved the Cattail Rangers up to Windsor then it'd be a much better ramp.

Jerrys59
07-22-2007, 10:45 AM
Winsor closed late this afternoon, sending boats to the Marina... what happened, rumors are lurking 2 dead...
anyone? details?
They said on the scanner that someone jumped off a moving boat and never came back up. they have divers down this morning looking for him but nothing
yet. It was a blue Carrera.

waterboy
07-22-2007, 11:46 AM
i was sitting in the north side in the channel when a havasu police boat drove thru on plane with lights and sirens on , first time i ever saw that , he was heading towards windsow.

Throttle
07-22-2007, 03:51 PM
still no news on this, anyone?
mmmm:idea:

DSW
07-22-2007, 06:35 PM
I heard from a ranger this morning, 4 diffrent accidents. 1 drowning @ south ramp, 2 prop chop's, and one busted skull. All in 3 hours time.

Havasu_Dreamin
07-22-2007, 06:45 PM
i was sitting in the north side in the channel when a havasu police boat drove thru on plane with lights and sirens on , first time i ever saw that , he was heading towards windsow.
We saw the same thing. Unfortunately, it is not the first time I've seen it happen.....Hope whatever happened was not serious and that nobody was seriusoly injured.....

EAZYKILLER2006
07-22-2007, 06:57 PM
it really is sad that there was an accident
we got held up 4 hours
everyone got re routed to site six
it was dark, by the time i got to the dock, and i had to attempt to pull out of site six
what a nightmare
first time:D
i took me a bit, to back up the truck
because i am not use to the new truck AND
i was nervous, cus of the crowd

RiverRatMike
07-22-2007, 07:33 PM
Missing man presumed drowned
Sunday, July 22, 2007 7:56 PM MST
An all-day search for a 23-year-old man who disappeared while swimming on Lake Havasu came up empty Sunday, leading authorities to believe he has drowned.
The man, whose name has not been released, disappeared Saturday about 4:45 p.m. near Windsor Beach. He was last seen by friends about 100 yards from shore, floating on a recreational flotation device called a Noodle.
The man was from Fullerton, Calif., said Trish Carter, spokeswoman for the Mohave County Sheriff's office.
He and six friends went on the lake aboard a blue and white Campbell boat. They tried to dock at about 4 p.m., but the slip was full, Carter said. So they decided to swim until a space opened up.
When the others decided to head for shore, the man was nowhere to be found, Carter said.
A dive team searched late into the night Saturday, resuming the search early Sunday morning. The search was called off at 7 p.m. Sunday, Carter said.
“It would be an assumption” to say he drowned, she said. “That would probably be a precise assumption, but we don't have a body at this point. We are calling this a missing person.”
The Lake Havasu City Fire and Police departments assisted in the search. They were joined by the San Bernardino County Sheriff's office, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Department and Lake Havasu State Park officials. A Native Air helicopter also joined in the search.
If indeed the man drowned, it would be the lake's second such death in two weeks. Jeremy Conklin, 21, of Selah, Wash., drowned July 7 about a mile from Windsor Beach. The boat he was on flipped over after its driver tried to make a sharp, starboard turn, ejecting all six people on board. Conklin's body was found the day after the accident.
His was the area's first water-related death this year. In 2006, there were six fatalities on the Colorado River between Needles, Calif., and the Parker Dam.

yopengo
07-22-2007, 08:08 PM
Windsor was all fokked up today. Hey Laurie we launched right behind you. You did great in the new truck. Glad we launched from Cattail on Sat. :D I hope they recover the missing man. :( You should have seen the stupid ass lake lice cutting across the police lines with divers in the water. :eek:

Hardly Satisfied
07-22-2007, 08:36 PM
Missing man presumed drowned
Sunday, July 22, 2007 7:56 PM MST
An all-day search for a 23-year-old man who disappeared while swimming on Lake Havasu came up empty Sunday, leading authorities to believe he has drowned.
The man, whose name has not been released, disappeared Saturday about 4:45 p.m. near Windsor Beach. He was last seen by friends about 100 yards from shore, floating on a recreational flotation device called a Noodle.
The man was from Fullerton, Calif., said Trish Carter, spokeswoman for the Mohave County Sheriff's office.
He and six friends went on the lake aboard a blue and white Campbell boat. They tried to dock at about 4 p.m., but the slip was full, Carter said. So they decided to swim until a space opened up.
When the others decided to head for shore, the man was nowhere to be found, Carter said.
A dive team searched late into the night Saturday, resuming the search early Sunday morning. The search was called off at 7 p.m. Sunday, Carter said.
“It would be an assumption” to say he drowned, she said. “That would probably be a precise assumption, but we don't have a body at this point. We are calling this a missing person.”
The Lake Havasu City Fire and Police departments assisted in the search. They were joined by the San Bernardino County Sheriff's office, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Department and Lake Havasu State Park officials. A Native Air helicopter also joined in the search.
If indeed the man drowned, it would be the lake's second such death in two weeks. Jeremy Conklin, 21, of Selah, Wash., drowned July 7 about a mile from Windsor Beach. The boat he was on flipped over after its driver tried to make a sharp, starboard turn, ejecting all six people on board. Conklin's body was found the day after the accident.
His was the area's first water-related death this year. In 2006, there were six fatalities on the Colorado River between Needles, Calif., and the Parker Dam.
We had just got off the water when the divers went looking for him saturday night very sad to see this and have it happen.

redneckgirl
07-23-2007, 08:43 PM
So what ever happened??? We saw the LEO boats on Sunday, diving...sad to see!!! Was this a false alarm? :( :confused:
RNG

phebus
07-23-2007, 09:50 PM
News
California man still missing
Monday, July 23, 2007 10:09 PM MST
STAFF REPORTS
Search-and-rescue teams still haven't found a 22-year-old California man who is presumed to have drowned while swimming in Lake Havasu.
Lloyd Richard Rowland, of Fulllerton, Calif., disappeared late Saturday afternoon while swimming with several friends while they were waiting to dock at Windsor Beach.
Search efforts on Monday failed to turn up any sign of Rowland.
He was last seen about 100 yards from shore, floating on a recreational flotation device called a Noodle.
Trees and man-made fish habitat, along with extensive weeds, are making the search more difficult, said Trish Carter, spokeswoman for the Mohave County Sheriff's office.
The Lake Havasu City Fire and Police departments have assisted in the search. They have been joined by the San Bernardino County Sheriff's office, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Department and Lake Havasu State Park officials. A Native Air helicopter also has joined in the search.
If indeed Rowland drowned, it would be the lake's second such death in two weeks.
Jeremy Conklin, 21, of Selah, Wash., drowned July 7 about a mile from Windsor Beach. The boat he was on flipped over after its driver tried to make a sharp, starboard turn, ejecting all six people on board. Conklin's body was found the day after the accident.

EAZYKILLER2006
07-23-2007, 10:00 PM
Windsor was all fokked up today. Hey Laurie we launched right behind you. You did great in the new truck. Glad we launched from Cattail on Sat. :D I hope they recover the missing man. :( You should have seen the stupid ass lake lice cutting across the police lines with divers in the water. :eek:
lol thanks
good seeing you
you guys going to be out next weekend?
we leave for havi this friday, around noon
hope to see you out on the water again!

THOR
07-25-2007, 11:54 AM
This is horrible. I used to sell equipment to Lloyd.

yopengo
07-25-2007, 11:59 AM
Have they recovered the body yet?

blender over
07-25-2007, 12:19 PM
we got held up 4 hours
it was dark, by the time i got to the dock, and i had to attempt to pull out of site six
what a nightmare
I tried to help you:)

riverracerx
07-25-2007, 12:24 PM
Ya did they find it yet? I don't want to open my eyes under water and see it staring back at me. :jawdrop:

phebus
07-25-2007, 12:29 PM
No news in the local paper yet, so I can only assume there has been no recovery.
I'm heading out, and will be in the Windsor area. I'll look and see if the recovery effort is still active.

sdpm
07-25-2007, 12:40 PM
Who and what was that guy doing with the video camera sunday evening at the north ramp? He had the last stall to the east with a big video camera, tripod and sound. The traffic officer at the ramp had his hands full!

riverracerx
07-25-2007, 02:15 PM
Rick, I would fricken FLIP OUT if I came across a body while I was enjoying the lake!!! AAAHHHHHHHHH! :2purples:

my21advantage
07-25-2007, 03:01 PM
Rick, I would fricken FLIP OUT if I came across a body while I was enjoying the lake!!! AAAHHHHHHHHH! :2purples:
:jawdrop: I'm scared to go back in the water!!! Until he is found...
Prayers to him and his family and for the search teams that continue to work diligently

phebus
07-25-2007, 03:28 PM
No body recovered as of this afternoon. :(

HavasuUncleLarry
07-25-2007, 03:30 PM
RECOVERED BODY – LAKE HAVASU
Mohave County Sheriff’s Waterways deputies located the body of a missing adult male Wednesday (7/25) morning. At about 7:53 a.m., the body believed to be of Lloyd Richard Rowland, 22, of Fullerton, Calif., was discovered by a passing boater, who contacted the sheriff’s office. The physical description and clothing matches the description of Rowland. The body was located approximately ½ mile west from the original reported location.
Please refer to MCSO Press Release dated July 23, 2007. The investigation remains active pending autopsy results and identification of the body.
Life goes on Be Careful OUT there!!!
Uncle Larry

sdpm
07-25-2007, 03:39 PM
That's sad! I can't even imagine getting that phone call.:(

phebus
07-25-2007, 03:41 PM
No body recovered as of this afternoon. :(
So much for asking a city cop if the body had been recovered.

driverno8
07-25-2007, 04:00 PM
Me to. That would be so weird. You'd have to do the right thing and call it in. But what do you do. Sit there an float next to it, well your kids are staring, and wait for the authorities. Do you explain to the kids what's going on and tell them truth using the entire situation and use it as a learning experience about how boating can be dangerous when done wrong and that boating and alcohol don't mix. Or do you drive a way and tell the authorities the general location so your kids don't see anything. The whole thing would just be a weird situation to be in. One I hope I'm NEVER in.
That being said. I'm glad they found guy. Not only for his sake, but the families as well.

Baja Big Dog
07-25-2007, 04:01 PM
we got held up 4 hours
what a nightmare
Eazy,
I don't know about site 6, but at Moabi the follies are the weekend treat, watching all the newbies attempt to land/launch boats.
I will say in defense of the arm chair boat experts, on more than occasion when a newbie pulled up to the ramp, and didn't feel comfortable, they would ask for help, it was amazing, twenty people would jump up and do what ever necessary to help them out.
It was almost an insult to not admit your in over your head, why risk damaging your rides, just for pride....
Christ girl, I would swim through sewage to give you a hand!!!:D

squirt'nmyload
07-25-2007, 04:06 PM
Sit there an float next to it, well your kids are staring, and wait for the authorities. Do you explain to the kids what's going on and tell them truth using the entire situation and use it as a learning experience about how boating can be dangerous when done wrong and that boating and alcohol don't mix.
this would be the right thing to do IMO.(well maybe don't let them stare at the body) no matter how the accident happened, they need to learn the dangers of boating so they can grow up to be responsible boaters :)

driverno8
07-25-2007, 04:09 PM
this would be the right thing to do IMO.(well maybe don't let them stare at the body) no matter how the accident happened, they need to learn the dangers of boating so they can grow up to be responsible boaters :)
what do you do when your oldest is 2?

phebus
07-25-2007, 04:11 PM
If I had kids with me, I would call it in and throw my anchor with a float on it to mark the location. Kids don't need to see a dead bloated body.

squirt'nmyload
07-25-2007, 04:15 PM
what do you do when your oldest is 2?
well i didn't mean to hold onto the body or anything while floating next to it. maybe just keep close to keep others away. at 2 i am sure they could be occupied by something else pretty easily.

driverno8
07-25-2007, 04:18 PM
true. Either way, just a super weird situation to be in. I do think if they were older, say teens. Hell ya. Use the situation as a learning experience. Because in a few years they'll be wanting to take your boat out with their friends. By teaching them a very real situation maybe they might think twice about doing something stupid.

squirt'nmyload
07-25-2007, 04:23 PM
true. Either way, just a super weird situation to be in. I do think if they were older, say teens. Hell ya. Use the situation as a learning experience. Because in a few years they'll be wanting to take your boat out with their friends. By teaching them a very real situation maybe they might think twice about doing something stupid.
agreed :) but definately a situation you, me or anyone here is hopefully never in :)

driverno8
07-25-2007, 04:26 PM
amen

RiverRatMike
07-26-2007, 05:04 AM
Body believed to be missing swimmer recovered
Wednesday, July 25, 2007 10:06 PM MST
STAFF REPORTS
A body believed to be that of a missing swimmer has been recovered from Lake Havasu.
The physical description and clothing matches the description of Lloyd Richard Rowland, said Trish Carter, spokeswoman for the Mohave County Sheriff's office.
The 22-year-old resident of Fullerton, Calif., vanished Saturday afternoon while swimming with several other people near Windsor Beach.
Carter said the body was found Wednesday at 7:53 a.m. by a boater about half a mile from where Rowland had been swimming. An autopsy is planned to establish positive identification and cause of death.
Wednesday's discovery ended a three-and-a-half-day search for Rowland. Trees and man-made fish habitat, along with extensive weeds, made the search more difficult, Carter said.
The Lake Havasu City Fire and Police departments assisted the sheriff's office in the search. They were joined by the San Bernardino County Sheriff's office, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Department and Lake Havasu State Park officials. A Native Air helicopter also joined in the search.
If indeed Rowland drowned, it would be the lake's second such death this month.
Jeremy Conklin, 21, of Selah, Wash., drowned July 7 about a mile from Windsor Beach. The boat he was on flipped over after its driver tried to make a sharp, starboard turn, ejecting all six people on board. Conklin's body was found the day after the accident.