PDA

View Full Version : Stock market 14,000!

HighRoller
07-22-2007, 01:04 AM
So all you Bush haters who suckled at the "Clinton economy" teet, please speak up. The stock market has DOUBLED since Clinton, even in spite of the Sept 11 crash. And umemployment is SMOKING any numbers the vaunted Clinton boom ever put up. Even Oregon and Washington, the places where umemployment is a way of lfe, are showing record low numbers. Geez.
I never give a politician credit for America's good or bad fortune, but it sure seems that the low income and capital gains taxes are doing something good. In addition, the recent take on tax day for the U.S. treasury was an all time one day record by a great margin. Imagine that. So all haters please sign in and tell us how bad your lives are now that you ar paying less taxes. And before you tell us about the Iraq war bill, while we've spent half a billion there in 4 years, we spend ONE TRILLION EVERY YEAR on worthless social programs now. At least in Iraq we get dead terrorists for our money instead of food stamps.

Rexone
07-22-2007, 02:05 AM
Not arguing your point but the US has spent much more than 1/2 billion in Iraq. As I remember the first request of Congress was for 80 billion and many more have followed.

never_fast_enuf
07-22-2007, 05:03 AM
If a democrat were in office, there wuld be story after story after story about how said democrat single handedly created the best economy ever.
Since a republican is in office...you can hear crickets chirping as it relates to the MSM reporting.
Nope...no bias in the lame stream media.
and I think the cost of the war stands at about half a trillion....a figure Robert Byrd would laugh at as it compares to the pork he has secured for West Virginia.

ULTRA26 # 1
07-22-2007, 05:43 AM
Not arguing your point but the US has spent much more than 1/2 billion in Iraq. As I remember the first request of Congress was for 80 billion and many more have followed.
The cost to date in Iraq, $445,313,726,985

never_fast_enuf
07-22-2007, 05:45 AM
The cost to date in Iraq, $445,313,726,985
Chicken feed as it compares to democrat earmarks.

ULTRA26 # 1
07-22-2007, 07:18 AM
So all you Bush haters who suckled at the "Clinton economy" teet, please speak up. The stock market has DOUBLED since Clinton, even in spite of the Sept 11 crash. And umemployment is SMOKING any numbers the vaunted Clinton boom ever put up. Even Oregon and Washington, the places where umemployment is a way of lfe, are showing record low numbers. Geez.
I never give a politician credit for America's good or bad fortune, but it sure seems that the low income and capital gains taxes are doing something good. In addition, the recent take on tax day for the U.S. treasury was an all time one day record by a great margin. Imagine that. So all haters please sign in and tell us how bad your lives are now that you ar paying less taxes. And before you tell us about the Iraq war bill, while we've spent half a billion there in 4 years, we spend ONE TRILLION EVERY YEAR on worthless social programs now. At least in Iraq we get dead terrorists for our money instead of food stamps.
The National Debt has continued to increase an average of $1.33 billion per day since September 29, 2006! A siign of a strong enonomy? Each citizen's share of this debt is $29,426.54.
At least in Iraq we get dead terrorists for our money instead of food stamps I guess our elderly should be left to starve so we can killl more Rabs, or did I miss your point?
Bush has done, and is doing, an amazing job :rolleyes:

never_fast_enuf
07-22-2007, 08:53 AM
Man it must suck to go through life thinking of ways to spin anything good into bad just because the president isn't from your party.
Ultra... sucks to be you.

bigq
07-22-2007, 09:04 AM
Right now the US government has the highest revenues in history coming in . unfortunately no one can seem to stop spending Democrat or Republicans which is a key factor in a declining national debt. It appears that the tax cuts are a factor, but if they can't curve spending what's the point.:rolleyes:

YeLLowBoaT
07-22-2007, 11:27 AM
I hate to rain on your parade, but there are really only 3 place that people invest money: realestate, bonds and the stock market.
RE is in the crapper, bonds are at a 30 year low... so every one is going to the stock market... it always happends in cycles like that. Bonds or RE will go back up and the stock market will drop down respective of how much the other markets go up.

Old Texan
07-22-2007, 11:29 AM
I hate to rain on your parade, but there are really only 3 place that people invest money: realestate, bonds and the stock market.
RE is in the crapper, bonds are at a 30 year low... so every one is going to the stock market... it always happends in cycles like that. Bonds or RE will go back up and the stock market will drop down respective of how much the other markets go up.
There is Real Estate outside AZ and CA you know.

YeLLowBoaT
07-22-2007, 11:44 AM
I know but over all the realesate market is down... thats not just in the "hot spots" thats all over the US.

ULTRA26 # 1
07-22-2007, 02:26 PM
Tex,
Just looked at real estate in ID. Down about 30% from the same time last year.

never_fast_enuf
07-23-2007, 05:22 AM
Tex,
Just looked at real estate in ID. Down about 30% from the same time last year.
How does it compare to when Clinton was in office?
Off 30% from massive record highs...I'll take that all day long, especially since it will take off again from there.
My lake front property is up over 100% over last year....not too shabby

bigq
07-23-2007, 07:29 AM
You mean like Texas:rolleyes: :D :D
Jk:D
On the radio out hear they have ads for property in Texas. One of them is for some lake fron property starting in the mid 20's:eek:
Got me thinking:idea:

Old Texan
07-23-2007, 09:52 AM
You mean like Texas:rolleyes: :D :D
Jk:D
On the radio out hear they have ads for property in Texas. One of them is for some lake fron property starting in the mid 20's:eek:
Got me thinking:idea:
It's pretty amazing what you can "actually afford" here. There are a lot of west coast folks looking and buying.

HotRod82
07-24-2007, 12:18 PM
Right now the US government has the highest revenues in history coming in . unfortunately no one can seem to stop spending Democrat or Republicans which is a key factor in a declining national debt. It appears that the tax cuts are a factor, but if they can't curve spending what's the point.:rolleyes:
Bingo...you nailed it. Both parties need to go...now. They are in bed with each other, it is so obvious. America is so ready for a third political party. I was hoping that the dems would at least try to get something done but thus far they have proven to be as impotent as the repubs. They all spend our money like it's nothing and do everything they can to make sure nothing really changes. Look at the immigration issue, these crooks won't even touch it because something might actually change on the hill and keep them from getting re elected....as we all know that is the only thing that really matters to any politician, RE-ELECTION.

burtandnancy2
08-02-2007, 09:03 PM
I like to see these two guys argue, a lot to be learned. I still can't figure out what a TRILLION dollars is...

Freak
08-03-2007, 12:41 PM
14k? I just checked it's a 13181.
The plunge protection team is having problems keeping this thing afloat with the sub prime fallout bleeding into the rest of the market AND through in the employment #'s coming in FLAT today.
Lest we get too distracted by the numbers, there are 7.12 million Americans out of work - and remember, people who have had their benefits run out don't count as 'unemployed'.
Dont go and made it all far too complicated. Look it's this simple. Is American consuming more than she produces?"
Ah.....well...er...yeah, I guess so.... Balance of Trade, even if in unsafe toys and rotten shrimp, isn't going well and it keeps building...
Well, that's the definition of debt. Whenever someone consumes more than they produce, it creates debt...It might not be obvious, but there's debt being created. You see how simple this is?
The job of the Fed is really simple: All they have to do is look at prevailing levels of debt. If the level of debt is rising, then they are firing inflation and they need to tighten their lending policies. If the level of debt is going down, then they can to be a bit more accommodative..
You know why we're having a housing bubble collapse right now, right? We built 5-years worth of new housing in 2-years. Same thing happened in late 1800's -- the robber baron days -- when America built 30-years of railroads in ten years. What do you expect? Price drops and it looks like deflation because that's what it is...
Bernanke now, and Greenspan before him, knew it: if consumption debt falters, It's Over. And remember, Employment follows the economy, employment is a lagging indicator..

Steve 1
08-03-2007, 12:48 PM
If a democrat were in office, there wuld be story after story after story about how said democrat single handedly created the best economy ever.
Since a republican is in office...you can hear crickets chirping as it relates to the MSM reporting.
Nope...no bias in the lame stream media.
and I think the cost of the war stands at about half a trillion....a figure Robert Byrd would laugh at as it compares to the pork he has secured for West Virginia.
Right I just came through WV and Sheets Byrd has his name smeared all over the place.

ULTRA26 # 1
08-03-2007, 01:41 PM
14k? I just checked it's a 13181.
The plunge protection team is having problems keeping this thing afloat with the sub prime fallout bleeding into the rest of the market AND through in the employment #'s coming in FLAT today.
Lest we get too distracted by the numbers, there are 7.12 million Americans out of work - and remember, people who have had their benefits run out don't count as 'unemployed'.
Dont go and made it all far too complicated. Look it's this simple. Is American consuming more than she produces?"
Ah.....well...er...yeah, I guess so.... Balance of Trade, even if in unsafe toys and rotten shrimp, isn't going well and it keeps building...
Well, that's the definition of debt. Whenever someone consumes more than they produce, it creates debt...It might not be obvious, but there's debt being created. You see how simple this is?
The job of the Fed is really simple: All they have to do is look at prevailing levels of debt. If the level of debt is rising, then they are firing inflation and they need to tighten their lending policies. If the level of debt is going down, then they can to be a bit more accommodative..
You know why we're having a housing bubble collapse right now, right? We built 5-years worth of new housing in 2-years. Same thing happened in late 1800's -- the robber baron days -- when America built 30-years of railroads in ten years. What do you expect? Price drops and it looks like deflation because that's what it is...
Bernanke now, and Greenspan before him, knew it: if consumption debt falters, It's Over. And remember, Employment follows the economy, employment is a lagging indicator..
Freak,
Some of the best points I've heard here in a while. :D

SmokinLowriderSS
08-03-2007, 02:27 PM
For DECADES "fully employed" has consisted of 5% who WILL NOT WORK.
It is currently 4.4%, which is .6% MORE people having jobs that are not expected to.
You will NEVER SEE 0% unemployment, and should not expect it. There are people out there, arround 4+% of them, who DO NOT WANT TO WORK.
And 4% of 300 million, is 12 million, not 7.
7.12 million people is 2.3% of the population.

ULTRA26 # 1
08-03-2007, 02:57 PM
With regard to the verifiable and unverifiable unemployed, how many of these folks are unemployed as the result of cheap labor illegals?. Not sure what it's like in the Mid-West, but here in CA, it seems that 95% of all hard labor jobs are held by men who don't speak English. No doubt some of these folks are legal, but I would bet that 50% are not.
Used to be that hard labor jobs went to young strong American males. Not the case here any more.

Old Texan
08-03-2007, 03:18 PM
With regard to the verifiable and unverifiable unemployed, how many of these folks are unemployed as the result of cheap labor illegals?. Not sure what it's like in the Mid-West, but here in CA, it seems that 95% of all hard labor jobs are held by men who don't speak English. No doubt some of these folks are legal, but I would bet that 50% are not.
Used to be that hard labor jobs went to young strong American males. Not the case here any more.
Ya know I often wonder if this isn't a 2-fold problem? Hard labor produced hard bodies, I know my share of construction work did. Look at the current obesity problems we are facing as a nation. Could be a tie in.
Of course there are a helluva lot of fat Tejanos running around.
Another thought is there really aren't enough Americans to fill all the hard labor positions so we need the immigrants. We just need to get them into the country legally and on properly issued work permits. The challenge is to get the idiots in charge to address the problem instead of hiding from it with silly pork laden bills.

ULTRA26 # 1
08-03-2007, 03:49 PM
Ya know I often wonder if this isn't a 2-fold problem? Hard labor produced hard bodies, I know my share of construction work did. Look at the current obesity problems we are facing as a nation. Could be a tie in.
Of course there are a helluva lot of fat Tejanos running around.
Another thought is there really aren't enough Americans to fill all the hard labor positions so we need the immigrants. We just need to get them into the country legally and on properly issued work permits. The challenge is to get the idiots in charge to address the problem instead of hiding from it with silly pork laden bills.
Tex,
Back in the days when I was struggling bass player in Vegas (34 years ago), my wife worked as a Sec. for a General Contractor. One day, out of nowhere, she came home and asked me if I wanted to go to work. (raking asphalt on top of Hoover Dam in mid Aug for $15.00 an hr) The GC had to meet a quota of minority workers and I had a Spanish Sir name (Father was from Spain.)
The Govt was dictating this sh*t long ago.
PS. With some salt pills and plenty of water, it wasn't so bad. In those days. to me, $15.00 and hour was big money.