PDA

View Full Version : Ford F450.. My review

Magic34
07-22-2007, 07:52 AM
I am buying a new truck, and before doing so, I wanted to drive a F450 to double check my decision on getting a bigger truck.
I currently own a 2006 Chevrolet 3500 LBZ Duramax 4x4 dually.
So, one arrived at my house on Friday afternoon to go drive for a little bit. Here is what I thought if anyone is interested. It was a Lariat 4x4 with everything except Nav, and 4.88 gears.
Before going anywhere, we sat in it for a while. The interior is nice, but not as plush as the Chevy. The back seat does have more room than my Chevy, actually by at least 6 inches for leg room. There are some cool features. The power extending mirrors are the shiat, and they fold in also, a feature my Chevy really needs. There is a power rear sliding window, which is another great feature if you are like me a limo tint everything. My wife would love that for backing the trailer up at the launch ramp. The upgraded stereo they put in it is decent for one from the factory, little bit of bumps in there.
The motor is very quiet and doesnÂ’t shake the truck. And the truck has an amazing turning radius.
So I back it out of my driveway and head for the freeway. The truck is very stiff, as it should be, but not as smooth as I was expecting. We went over a bump, and I had my seatbelt on and my ass still left the seat.
Now for the power, I floored it a few times: from a dead stop, to rolling start, then 25 MPH and hitting it. The truck felt to have less power than my LBZ Duramax. When driving my Duramax, I feel like the truck is pulling hard gaining speed. With the F450, it felt like the power was decent, just not like the Chevy. I feel that my Chevy will pass the Ford towing up a hill. I could be wrong, but that was my impression based on flooring the truck, then driving my truck after to compare. The Chevy felt faster.
The on-ramp of the freeway was where I stayed on it to 82 MPH, right to the limiter and it would not let me go any faster.
I drove this F450 hoping it would change my mind in getting the Freightliner, but it didnÂ’t. I would prefer a smaller truck like the F450, but it didnÂ’t seem better than my Chevrolet. I feel like I could upgrade my brakes and suspension on my 3500 and have a comparable truck, just faster. I am not sold on paying $25k+ more (after mods) than my truck now for something like this.
The hype of the 450 had me thinking it was a super truck, and while it is definitely a nice and cool truck, for what I want, it just doesnÂ’t do anything more for me than my Chevy already does.
The one I drove has a list price of about $58k and I could get it for thousands less. If anyone wants one, let me know, I have a good source on them.

djunkie
07-22-2007, 09:42 AM
If this doesn't get the Ford freaks panties in a wad I don't know what will. :D :D

Magic34
07-22-2007, 10:53 AM
If this doesn't get the Ford freaks panties in a wad I don't know what will. :D :D
It shouldn't... I really wanted to buy one. It just isn't what all the hype was about.

spectras only
07-22-2007, 11:48 AM
Magic , what did you tow with that truck , a house ?;)
I towed a Komfort Trailblazer 276 like this one [http://www.djsrv.net/new/trailblazer.htm ] with my Navigator [ 3.73 gears ] two days ago from Vancouver to Vancouver Island .
Had no problem pulling the Komfort [ 10000 lbs ] . The 450 can't be that bad with a diesel and 4.88 gears :idea: .

Magic34
07-22-2007, 12:32 PM
I towed a Komfort Trailblazer 276 like this one [http://www.djsrv.net/new/trailblazer.htm ] with my Navigator [ 3.73 gears ] two days ago from Vancouver to Vancouver Island .
Had no problem pulling the Komfort [ 10000 lbs ] . The 450 can't be that bad with a diesel and 4.88 gears :idea: .
It wasn't that the F450 was "that" bad. I just expected more from the $58k truck. All this hype on the dual inline turbo and everything and my Chevy felt much faster, like it had more power.
I just expected the F450 to pull harder than the Chevy and it did not. Maybe becaues the F450 weighs more than the 3500, but it should have pulled harder with the 4.88 gears. So I think the weight to gears are a wash.
I towed a 5th wheel 40' Weekend Warrior at 18k for a year and the Chevy did great. I am sure the Ford would as well. I now tow 22k.

victorfb
07-22-2007, 12:32 PM
nice report. one thing to mention though is that these trucks are purpose use vehicles, not a daily driver. test driving it empty is like tasting a beer by looking at the can/bottle. also remeber that comparing a F450 to a GM3500 is not equal. the F450 has a much higher CGWR and for some is the only way to tow legally. unfortunatly to get that higher CGWR you need to sacrafice ride. but when you load a 17000# trailer onto one they ride MUCH better. putting the freightliner into the equasion is just another step. again not an equal. all these trucks are in differant classes. my GM1500 rides alot smoother and will smoke my F550 off the line and top speed, but it wont pull the 5th wheel. ok, a little exaguration with the comparison, but you get my point. when buying a truck/tow vehicle, buy one that fits your needs and purpose. there is no such thing as a heavy tow vehicle daily driver groceory getting economy luxury low cost truck. then again i wouldnt put it past japan to come up with one. :eek:

Trailer Park Casanova
07-22-2007, 03:00 PM
Very good post. Good takes.
We drove the F450 and decided to wait to see what GM rolls out.
The harsh ride shocked us too.
If ya wanna tow the big pigs, the 450 is the BFD at the moment.

NashvilleBound
07-22-2007, 06:03 PM
Nice thread. Im looking for a new truck as well... Not sure if it will be the 350 or 450. Most likey the 350. My Denali is Very boarderline towing the Magic ..... Unfortunately I will use this as a primary driver so the Freightliner is out. We have a (I think its called) a F120 in CA now.... thing is bad ass....just not a daily driver. Maybe if you compared the 350 to your 3500 it might be a more equal test.... your right, the 450 is HEAVY.

Beer-30
07-23-2007, 09:38 AM
Had no problem pulling the Komfort [ 10000 lbs ] .
Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD. Magic34 is like me and a few others that have pulled LOTS of trailers LOTS of miles. One simple theory comes out of all those hours:
If it requires a 1/2 ton - get a 3/4 ton.
If it requires a 3/4 ton - get a 1 ton.
So on and so forth.
Basically, the vehicles can pull the load when at their maximum, but you have to think of all of the little parts that are supporting the load(s). It's not just about suspension. It's wheel bearings, seals, pinion bearings, U-joints, wheel studs, axle flanges, torque converter.
Most of the toy-hauler trailer houses should really be under a 1-ton. Almost everyone uses 2500s, which is better than nothing. The smaller ones are well suited to 3/4s (25-28 feet) but when you get into 30+ footers, that is a lot of weight for a 3/4 ton to handle. They can do it, but it will eventually take its toll on the drivetrain and suspension.
And yes, he is basically pulling a house. Whether it be his new Formula or a 40' WW, they are equivalent to a house.

Beer-30
07-23-2007, 09:42 AM
The truck felt to have less power than my LBZ Duramax. When driving my Duramax, I feel like the truck is pulling hard gaining speed. With the F450, it felt like the power was decent, just not like the Chevy. I feel that my Chevy will pass the Ford towing up a hill. I could be wrong, but that was my impression based on flooring the truck, then driving my truck after to compare. The Chevy felt faster.
Weight. I think the power is there, as it is in the LBZ, but you are in a much heavier truck. I am a GM man, but I have to say that Ford has always overbuilt their frames. You are comparing a 1-ton to a 1.5-ton / both with similar power. Every 100 lbs makes a difference. I don't know exactly the difference in wt between a GM 3500 4X and a Ford 450 4X, but I wouldn't be surprised at 1500 lbs or so.

Pussywhippled
07-23-2007, 11:10 AM
So, one arrived at my house on Friday afternoon to go drive for a little bit. = BALLER

spectras only
07-23-2007, 12:39 PM
And yes, he is basically pulling a house. Whether it be his new Formula or a 40' WW, they are equivalent to a house.
Beer , I was just joking that Magic is pulling a house , cause I know he has a
Formula cruiser . He should have tried a 650 instead of the 450 . I towed my boat [ it's only 8350 lbs on the trailer ] with an F 350 and wasn't impressed with its acceleration either .The F 350 would pull just as good as a 3500 Chebby IMHO ;) . Friend is getting the Freightliner for his 47' boat . If money is no object that's what I'd get for a large boat !
I'm towing my yacht with this little Chebby . They're more powerful than the Ford Escape heh .
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/It%20thinks%20BIG.jpg

HighRoller
07-23-2007, 05:57 PM
Was this a "stock" 450? Seems to me for 58K you could get an aftermarket conversion setup with the rear swingarm suspension and full air ride with auto leveling. In fact, the F550 with that setup rides like a dream.
As far as the power, 4:88 is too much gear for that engine and a 5spd auto, IMO. It probably would pull great from a dead stop under a load, but empty it's just doing nothing but searching for the next gear without much of a load to produce boost. Without towing it's hard to compare.
I'm sure the Freightshaker will work fine, but a true baller looking for a smooth ride would have gotten an Optima toterhome on a Volvo VN chassis with a 565 Cummins and a Freedom Auto:D There is no truck and very few cars on the road that ride as good as the new Volvo with the air ride front end.

Lightning
07-23-2007, 06:06 PM
One thing that has not been mentioned is engine break-in time. My Duramax had way more power once it had 15,000 miles on it vs. when it was brand new.

BadKachina
07-23-2007, 07:19 PM
I thought I had read somewhere that the '08 f-450's were detuned or had less hp than the f-350/f-250's??? Maybe this isn't true, I just though I had read it at one time.

Beer-30
07-24-2007, 06:46 AM
I thought I had read somewhere that the '08 f-450's were detuned or had less hp than the f-350/f-250's??? Maybe this isn't true, I just though I had read it at one time.
This may be very true. Look at the C/K4500-5500. The Dmax is detuned slightly in these models. Since the 450/550 is also a "work" truck in their eyes instead of a "play" truck, Ford may detune theirs also.
My wife just ordered my 2008 C3500 Dmax dually yesterday. :)

Beer-30
07-24-2007, 06:52 AM
Beer , I was just joking that Magic is pulling a house , cause I know he has a
Formula cruiser . He should have tried a 650 instead of the 450 .
True enough. Go big or go home. The heaviest thing I haul right now is the boat at around 9000 on the road. A 3/4 ton would be perfect, but the peace of mind of having the 3500 under/in front of it is priceless. Plus, I like that the weight on the rear is distributed over 4 tires instead of two.

Magic34
07-24-2007, 07:36 AM
Weight. I think the power is there, as it is in the LBZ, but you are in a much heavier truck. I am a GM man, but I have to say that Ford has always overbuilt their frames. You are comparing a 1-ton to a 1.5-ton / both with similar power. Every 100 lbs makes a difference. I don't know exactly the difference in wt between a GM 3500 4X and a Ford 450 4X, but I wouldn't be surprised at 1500 lbs or so.
That was my thought on the power. The truck was heavier so it would be slower. That was definietly the case in my 4500, it was too damn heavy for the DMax. I figured that my truck was lighter and that is why it felt even faster. I ws really just responding to all the hype on teh F450. I was amped to get one, then was really let down when I drove it.
However, I didn't know how much heavier that truck was. After driving the FL just over 100 miles, I love it and so happy with my decision.

Magic34
07-24-2007, 07:38 AM
So, one arrived at my house on Friday afternoon to go drive for a little bit. = BALLER
Nah, it is all about who you know. :)

lucky
07-24-2007, 08:49 AM
an Fyi for all you diesel owners , did you know that if you own Two diesel trucks over 66oo Lbs that YOu are to comply with A.R.B and better have records of your trucks smoke tests , should they be 2000 and older :)

TOBTEK
07-24-2007, 01:15 PM
Im with you Mike. I really wanted to get a new twin turbo 350 or 450. Just WAS NOT impressed at all. Id been hearing that this TT motor was like having my Duramax with stage 5 Juice on.... NOT! How about the three foot squared "HEAVY DUTY" stamped plastic dash on the passenger side:confused: what were they thinking??? And the retail prices are just crazy. Looks like I'll be calling Jay when the time comes.

HighRoller
07-30-2007, 08:20 PM
I concur. Went to sit in a new SD and found it the same as all Ford trucks; seats way too high and steering wheel way too low for a 6'3" dude. And with the SuperDuty badging top to bottom front to back it makes you wonder whether Ford is desperate to keep you from forgetting what you're driving. Interior way too plastic for me. But, on the plus side, the double barrel muffler/flame arrestor/silencer/smoke eliminator/exhaust pipe/tailpipe makes you think it puts out some serious power. I heard 630 ft/lbs at the rear wheels. Anyone know what an LBZ does?

nodigg
07-31-2007, 07:13 PM
Came down here to get opinions on the 450 and look what was being discussed already! Just got back from the dealer myself.
First, the 250 and 350 are the same trucks except for an extra leaf in the rear according to the salesman. Same brakes, same axles, same front end.
If I remember correctly, the literature states with the 488 rears you get a lower hp/torque mapping. So the 250 long bed 4x4 I tested this afternoon seemed quicker to rev and about the same as far as seat of the pants acceleration as my 05 Duramax 4x4 short bed. It was WAAAY quieter and turned much shorter, and much softer riding.

AZJD
08-01-2007, 06:00 AM
Came down here to get opinions on the 450 and look what was being discussed already! Just got back from the dealer myself.
First, the 250 and 350 are the same trucks except for an extra leaf in the rear according to the salesman. Same brakes, same axles, same front end.
If I remember correctly, the literature states with the 488 rears you get a lower hp/torque mapping. So the 250 long bed 4x4 I tested this afternoon seemed quicker to rev and about the same as far as seat of the pants acceleration as my 05 Duramax 4x4 short bed. It was WAAAY quieter and turned much shorter, and much softer riding.
The new LMM is so quiet you sometimes don't know it's running. I rode in the new 250 this weekend and you certainly hear those turbos.

Magic34
08-01-2007, 06:36 AM
Did your 05 Duramax have the LLY or LBZ? The LLY is a turd compared to the LBZ. I couldn't believe the difference.

LOWRIVER2
08-01-2007, 11:08 AM
So, is it true that the new F series need the whole cab pulled off for any work other than basic repairs?
I get the "purpose" built idea on pulling heavy loads but I drove it and it is different in take off from a Kodiak. I've driven an 05 Kodiak a scant 500 miles towing 15k lbs. in skid steer and the LLY seems more responsive under load and empty than the new 6.4/F450. Both were 4X4's.

nodigg
08-01-2007, 11:32 AM
Did your 05 Duramax have the LLY or LBZ? The LLY is a turd compared to the LBZ. I couldn't believe the difference.
Don't get me wrong, the Duramax PULLS! I pull a 15k plus trailer frequently. But keeping cool is the problem for mine. Even with the add-on trans cooler there is too much torque to keep cool. I'm looking for a lower rear end and Chevy won't give it to us! :mad:

INSman
08-01-2007, 07:45 PM
Don't get me wrong, the Duramax PULLS! I pull a 15k plus trailer frequently. But keeping cool is the problem for mine. Even with the add-on trans cooler there is too much torque to keep cool. I'm looking for a lower rear end and Chevy won't give it to us! :mad:
LLY's had cooling problems, LB7 and LBZ have never that I have heard. Have you tried the synthetic Evans Coolant ????????
http://www.evanscooling.com/html/npgPls.htm
Not cheap, but works VERY well .....

nodigg
08-01-2007, 07:54 PM
LLY's had cooling problems, LB7 and LBZ have never that I have heard. Have you tried the synthetic Evans Coolant ????????
I'll check it out but I am pretty sure its the too big tires, lift and 4x4 overloaded that does me in...:idea:

Thunder Struck
08-02-2007, 02:27 PM
Hey magic... if you would like to pull your boat with a 450 let me know. I have had mine for a few months now and the power seems to get better the more miles i put on it. I pull a quad axel 50' Weekend Warrior with mine and it does great in my opinion. Also the cooling system on it is awsome! Alot better than my 05 f350. Also the new chip gets rid of the limiter. I also looked at the freightliner but the tow rating on it was not as good as the ford 450.

Magic34
08-02-2007, 02:46 PM
Hey magic... if you would like to pull your boat with a 450 let me know. I have had mine for a few months now and the power seems to get better the more miles i put on it. I pull a quad axel 50' Weekend Warrior with mine and it does great in my opinion. Also the cooling system on it is awsome! Alot better than my 05 f350. Also the new chip gets rid of the limiter. I also looked at the freightliner but the tow rating on it was not as good as the ford 450.
Thanks, but it is too late. I am in the Freightliner now. I like having the weight of the truck so the boat doesn't throw me around.
Good to hear about the F450. I think the idea of the truck is great, I just didn't get what I was expecting. Sounds like it gets better with time.

Magic34
08-02-2007, 02:48 PM
Yes, they did. I used to pull my 34 cat and behind me was a friend in his 30 deckboat, both Magics. I had the dually LBZ, he had a 2500HD LLY.
His load was lighter, but my LBZ would pull on him and stay cool, where his LLY would start to get hot and he would have to get off of the throttle.

Thunder Struck
08-02-2007, 03:21 PM
Freightliner is an awsome truck. I wish it would have worked for me. Witch one did you get?

Magic34
08-02-2007, 09:03 PM
Freightliner is an awsome truck. I wish it would have worked for me. Witch one did you get?
Sport Chassis M2 Business Class

Baja Big Dog
08-04-2007, 10:17 AM
So, is it true that the new F series need the whole cab pulled off for any work other than basic repairs?
I get the "purpose" built idea on pulling heavy loads but I drove it and it is different in take off from a Kodiak. I've driven an 05 Kodiak a scant 500 miles towing 15k lbs. in skid steer and the LLY seems more responsive under load and empty than the new 6.4/F450. Both were 4X4's.
Yes the cab comes off...as does the DuraJap.
Weve R&r'ed a few, and its a lot quicker to lift the cab, than pulling out the engine compartment....it sounds scary, but everything is plugged in, and like I said, when have yo ever pulled an engine with the hood and the radiator was still on the truck!!!!

LOWRIVER2
08-05-2007, 08:10 PM
Hoods and radiators come off quicker than cabs. I've seen head jobs on Dmax's without the cab coming off. Not so on the Ford per the techs. That would be pretty pricey in labor costs once they get over the warranties. Hell what was I thinking? no one keeps them after warranties expire.

vee-driven
08-05-2007, 09:28 PM
its a ford, what were you expecting.

Trailer Park Casanova
08-19-2007, 06:23 AM
What we're hearing from new Ford truck owners are the alternators fail, and they're getting goofy reasons from Ford why.
Also, the replacement Ford alternators are just as bad.
This story repeated from the new Ford owners that camp around us at EC.
Heads up.