PDA

View Full Version : Pantry pasta

Tom Brown
07-22-2007, 04:26 PM
... so I've been sick for over a week. Too sick to go to the grocery store. I don't keep a lot of food in the house normally, and I'm pretty much down to the final few items. To open the pantry doors, you'd think I just moved into the house.
Of course, the cereal and porridge were eaten in the first four days and I've been saving my last bit of milk, about a cup and a half. It will have to go into the pasta.
I've been here before. You eat... whatever you have. That's where I came up with the idea of pantry pasta. It contains... whatever is in the pantry.
Pantry pasta is made in a rice cooker for one simple reason. Irony. Something other than rice is being cooked in a rice cooker.... the irony of the situation is delicious.
It works like this... I just throw in whatever I have. The only key ingredients seem to be water, milk, butter, pasta. In this case, I have a couple of hundred grams of dried rigatoni so I throw it in with the milk, water, and about a quarter pound of butter.
There is some chicken in the fridge. It's been there for over a week. Safe to eat? Good question.... and one that will be answered shortly. I tear up the chicken into small pieces and throw it in.
Lipton onion soup mix? I have two packets left. One goes into the rice cooker. OSM is never a bad idea.
I also find a can of Campbell's cream of chicken soup. It goes in.
Almonds... don't seem appropriate but they're in my pantry. I let gravity take it's course and in they go.
I have both salt and cyan pepper; quite a bit of both, actually. I throw in a healthy portion of pepper.
The entire pantry now contains of a small bag of instant oats, one can of Campbell's beef broth, the last pouch of onion soup mix, some nori wrappers for sushi, and a bag of Dad's brand oatmeal cookies. The bag of cookies has been empty since the early 90s but I keep it around because it takes me back to a happier time.
The fridge is actually holding up pretty well. It contains three different types of jam, four slices of bread, and a jar with four dill pickles in it. One of the bread slices is a crust but at times like these, it will have to be eaten. It's not like I have any oatmeal cookies to soften with the crust.
I bring up a plastic spoon from my camping gear in the basement. After washing the dust off, I use it to stir the pasta. The rice cooker bowl is coated so there's no going in there with metal utensils. I also take a fork from the stack on the counter and wash it up, in anticipation of the completion of this batch of pantry pasta.
After what seemed like an eternity... the pasta finishes and I sample it. Damn! This tastes great! Even the shit flying around my mouth during the raging coughing fits is delicious!
Pantry pasta.... try it. You won't be dissappointed.

Jbb
07-22-2007, 04:37 PM
Or ...you could just order a pizza.............................dumbass...:D
btw...I have a stand up freezer in the basement that is so full....Im afraid to open it......would you like me to send you something.....it should be there in 3 weeks or so...:p

hoolign
07-22-2007, 04:38 PM
Yo Brown..DOMINOS DELIVERS:idea:

Windy
07-22-2007, 04:43 PM
I hope you feel better soon Tom. Dont you have a neighbor who could bring you some chicken soup or something?

Jbb
07-22-2007, 04:44 PM
Chicken soup for Browns .....social disease.....:D

Tom Brown
07-22-2007, 04:46 PM
Yeah... I'll put my DCB up for collateral so I can get a personal line of credit and order some pizza. :rolleyes:
While you two are living large, I'm a man of the people.

Jbb
07-22-2007, 04:50 PM
Yeah... I'll put my DCB up for collateral so I can get a personal line of credit and order some pizza. :rolleyes:
At least you're not living in your car .....like Ricky.......Some mild pepperoni and a 40 of anything.....and you should be fine...:)

Tom Brown
07-22-2007, 04:53 PM
I hope you feel better soon Tom.
Thank you, Windy. That's very sweet of you.
Dont you have a neighbor who could bring you some chicken soup or something?
That's a great idea but the neighbors all hate my guts... for some reason. :confused:
:D

hoolign
07-22-2007, 04:53 PM
Livin large ..yeah ok:rolleyes: I'm down to 1 bottles cabo wabo and 1 60 of JD .and I'm livin large:rolleyes: Things may be lookin up fopr next year though!

hoolign
07-22-2007, 04:54 PM
Thank you, Windy. That's very sweet of you.
That's a great idea but the neighbors all hate my guts... for some reason. :confused:
:D
maybe if you kep the blinds closed:idea:

Tom Brown
07-22-2007, 04:55 PM
At least you're not living in your car .....like Ricky
All in good time, my friend. :cool: