PDA

View Full Version : Irvine Medical

Cigalert
07-23-2007, 05:33 AM
Is a real chitball when it comes to hospitals. Just had my daughter there past thursday and their staff was such a delite. During the delivery the doctor was yelling at the nurse and my wife because she "didn't know how to push". The doctor was literally throwing her hands up in the air and saying "You don't know what you are doing!!!". My wife couldn't feel her contractions because they left the epidural crankin full bore even after she was dialated to a 9.
About 90% of the staff I would recomend for a good helmet fitting and a proper "tinted window" ride share for comuting to work. Their recliners only reclined after I went MacGuyver on them only to find out the foam padding on the inside was falling out of the 27" rip in the fabric.
We were sitting in our post partom room the next day. A woman from the financial department made a visit. She let us know that we needed to pay here $1124 right then and there with a credit card or check. That $1124 was covering all hospital expenses for the 2 days we were there. I let her know that we might have to stay another night and we were waiting for the doctor. In her bestest engrish she said "Oh dat ok, you stay wun mo nite we beer you waiter but you pay for dees 2 nite now". Oh you know what, as soon as my wife told me her water broke I said fuk our clothes and other needs grab the f'n check book so the f'n hospital can get paid.
We were finally release Friday night. As we were getting the baby ready to move out a nurse came into the room and took off the baby's beanie and wrap and said "the shirt has to stay here too. You cannot remove any fabric from the hospital". WHAT THE FOCK? I just got charged over a grand for a broken recliner, a broken doctor, to send my daughter to the nursery only to have her wheeled back in 45 minutes later, to wait for a nurse at 2 am for over 40 minutes and to have my wife fed only 2 meals in the 28 hours after we had the baby and you want me to give you back a $.12 beanie and $.06 towel. Shove it up your ass with mobile gas Irvine Medical
http://www.stopinfantcircumcision.org/FingerBabyCrop.jpg
I just noticed, I bitch about things a lot. Oh well, I don't mind being an asshole.

voodoomedman
07-23-2007, 06:05 AM
Congrats on the newborn. Sorry about the bad experience. Had good experiences with my two boys. One being just a month ago.

Cigalert
07-23-2007, 06:12 AM
Congrats on the newborn. Sorry about the bad experience. Had good experiences with my two boys. One being just a month ago.
That's why we went there, heard nothing but good things. My wife's best friend, the only other person we allowed in the room with us had her 2 kids there and she still can't believe everything we encountered. Just bad luck I guess.
The nurse that mainly helped out with the delivery, Laurie, was friggin awesome. She didn't take any crap from anyone, she just put her head down and cranked. She went out of her way to make sure my wife was comfortable with everything that was going on. It wasn't 100% bad.
Congrats on your new edition voodoo.

32sunrkt
07-23-2007, 06:35 AM
I am almost sure it a Kaiser Permenente.Smells like ity .. They only do things a certain way because they've been sued before. No cust service...
** It's their MO. Stay clear !!!! ...... GET A GOOD PPO.

voodoomedman
07-23-2007, 06:42 AM
That's why we went there, heard nothing but good things. My wife's best friend, the only other person we allowed in the room with us had her 2 kids there and she still can't believe everything we encountered. Just bad luck I guess.
The nurse that mainly helped out with the delivery, Laurie, was friggin awesome. She didn't take any crap from anyone, she just put her head down and cranked. She went out of her way to make sure my wife was comfortable with everything that was going on. It wasn't 100% bad.
Congrats on your new edition voodoo.
Hmmmmmm. I thought it was everything considering the finance crap and the t-shirt stuff. I don't know how Irvine works but at my wife's work and everywhere else I've been the doctors are not hospital staff as they may be at University hospitals or Kaiser or some others. They still are contracted to work there though and and that kind of crap sucks. My wifes OB for our first son we kind of got a bum reccomendation. The guy is said to be a great physician that you would want if anything were to go wrong because he has the skill but his bedside manner is terrible. Snapping at nurses and such. Kind of had the holier than thou attitude. This time she did what she should have the first time and used her own hospital and the beauty of it is she knows the best doctors and anesthesia and so forth.

pvhca
07-23-2007, 06:50 AM
you shouldn't have paid a dime until your insurance co. sent you an EOB(expalnation of benefits), only pay when and what your insurance tells you, they can't refuse you service even w/a high deductable, mine is $4K they asked for money during the wife's appendectomy and I told them to pound sand, that i'll pay what my EOB say's to. I would complain to the chief of staff re-your wife's treatment.
Congrats by the way

Cigalert
07-23-2007, 07:09 AM
Hmmmmmm. I thought it was everything considering the finance crap and the t-shirt stuff. I don't know how Irvine works but at my wife's work and everywhere else I've been the doctors are not hospital staff as they may be at University hospitals or Kaiser or some others. They still are contracted to work there though and and that kind of crap sucks. My wifes OB for our first son we kind of got a bum reccomendation. The guy is said to be a great physician that you would want if anything were to go wrong because he has the skill but his bedside manner is terrible. Snapping at nurses and such. Kind of had the holier than thou attitude. This time she did what she should have the first time and used her own hospital and the beauty of it is she knows the best doctors and anesthesia and so forth.
Irvine is a Tenet owned hospital. Our Aetna PPO has been pretty good to us so far. You're right about the Doctor in that she is not hospital staff but my perspective was, she is a doctor that chooses to do business with a certain hospital and vise versa. One is a reflection of the other. If the hospital views the doc as a piece of crap they should no longer allow her to practice there. Furthermore, the doctor's physical office is attached via hallway to the hospital so I'm sure there is a conflict of interest between her paying the landlord for office space and the landlord paying her for services rendered. The whole experience just smelled fishy and not because we're talking about an OB.

riverroyal
07-23-2007, 06:42 PM
excellent hosp,both my boys were born their,and I thought i was gonna die there!!No issues at all,billing was in order,treatment was A+,pain killers kicked ass as weel

INI
07-23-2007, 07:20 PM
Irvine is a Tenet owned hospital. Our Aetna PPO has been pretty good to us so far. You're right about the Doctor in that she is not hospital staff but my perspective was, she is a doctor that chooses to do business with a certain hospital and vise versa. One is a reflection of the other. If the hospital views the doc as a piece of crap they should no longer allow her to practice there. Furthermore, the doctor's physical office is attached via hallway to the hospital so I'm sure there is a conflict of interest between her paying the landlord for office space and the landlord paying her for services rendered. The whole experience just smelled fishy and not because we're talking about an OB.
Cig,
I work very closely with Irvine because they are in my backyard...IM in the Plasma derivatives business for Grifols and frequently visit them and I can talk to Director if needed....I cant promise to change anything but they need to know if you are not happy and why....Let me know if i can help

Riverkid
07-23-2007, 07:23 PM
(Mission) Not a single issue. They were all great.

monkey rage frank
07-23-2007, 07:33 PM
I actually used to work there, not surprised to hear this. Once again used to work there. You should voice your concerns with Administration, they will no like to hear this. It might make you feel better, getting it off your chest too.

OCMerrill
07-23-2007, 08:01 PM
My daughter was born there Cig...I agree with you 100% it's a shitbag of a hospital. I had to sleep on the floor and caught some virus that swelled my throat shut. Damn near put me in there on the money extracting side.
We had some complications with my wife (kid was good) and they were just asses about letting me see my baby. It's a long drawn out story but basically the father (in their eyes) is not the true parent. Fock...I hated those few days there. Never would recommend that hospital.
The bill was major. We had an 80/20 plan and after my insurance paid I still owed them over $10k. They would only take payments over 6 mo. or they would send me to collections. This would ruin my credit so we just hunkered down and paid them. It was tough (at the time) as hell with my wife off work. We had saved up but we were not planning on the wife having issues. This basically made everything double.
Second kid Saddleback...this one was in the NICU for 10 days. The Hospital was great though. Again the bill was huge but we gladly paid my contracted share. They were a class act the whole way through.

TopGun4608
07-23-2007, 11:55 PM
I just got out of the hospital. I was in and out of the hospital for the last three weeks! Spinal Meningitis, mono, 106 fever... you name it... I had it. I was at saddleback in telemetry for 4 days... had two horrible nurses! Hit the call button... 45 mins later I get what I needed. Glad I wasnt having a heart attack... Everyone is OLD. Its a shitty hospital. Doctors were good! But I dont recommend it. Then I went home a few days... had to go back so I went to mission. Mission was like staying at the montage! Food was excellent, doctors GREAT, nurses were HOT! Life was good... but they put me in a private room which was cool I thought. 2 hours after they send me up there from ER this cute little nurse walks in and says Hi Im from admitting... How did you want to pay for your private room. Im in mass pain and was like shit I dont know call my insurance. She states oh we did... they dont cover private rooms. ( I have GREAT insurance too) so I give her my AMEX $250 a day! Not the end of the world but I have been home a week and medical bills just showed up! $55,000 so far with out doctor bills. Just in hospital cost! DAMN we should all open a hospital! lol WORST PART of this... I have a brand new conquest sitting at the house in havasu while Im here! haha So dont go to SADDLEBACK if you live in South OC... drive three more exits and go to MISSION... YOU WONT REGRET IT!

Daytona100
07-24-2007, 12:29 AM
Wow. Mike:)

imirsh1
07-24-2007, 05:28 AM
Is a real chitball when it comes to hospitals. Just had my daughter there past thursday and their staff was such a delite. During the delivery the doctor was yelling at the nurse and my wife because she "didn't know how to push". The doctor was literally throwing her hands up in the air and saying "You don't know what you are doing!!!". My wife couldn't feel her contractions because they left the epidural crankin full bore even after she was dialated to a 9.
About 90% of the staff I would recomend for a good helmet fitting and a proper "tinted window" ride share for comuting to work. Their recliners only reclined after I went MacGuyver on them only to find out the foam padding on the inside was falling out of the 27" rip in the fabric.
We were sitting in our post partom room the next day. A woman from the financial department made a visit. She let us know that we needed to pay here $1124 right then and there with a credit card or check. That $1124 was covering all hospital expenses for the 2 days we were there. I let her know that we might have to stay another night and we were waiting for the doctor. In her bestest engrish she said "Oh dat ok, you stay wun mo nite we beer you waiter but you pay for dees 2 nite now". Oh you know what, as soon as my wife told me her water broke I said fuk our clothes and other needs grab the f'n check book so the f'n hospital can get paid.
We were finally release Friday night. As we were getting the baby ready to move out a nurse came into the room and took off the baby's beanie and wrap and said "the shirt has to stay here too. You cannot remove any fabric from the hospital". WHAT THE FOCK? I just got charged over a grand for a broken recliner, a broken doctor, to send my daughter to the nursery only to have her wheeled back in 45 minutes later, to wait for a nurse at 2 am for over 40 minutes and to have my wife fed only 2 meals in the 28 hours after we had the baby and you want me to give you back a $.12 beanie and $.06 towel. Shove it up your ass with mobile gas Irvine Medical
http://www.stopinfantcircumcision.org/FingerBabyCrop.jpg
I just noticed, I bitch about things a lot. Oh well, I don't mind being an asshole.
Wow that sounds like a horrible experience! I just had my boy 3 weeks ago at Hoag in Newport, had an awesome experience and they sent us home with pajamas and a beenie oh and a copped a bunch of their receiving blankets too!

Cigalert
07-24-2007, 06:18 AM
Another thing I would like to add before anyone thinks I am bashing Irvine with no warrant, I've had a tumor removed from my knee and a grip of other surgeries, needless to say I've had my fair share of hospital experiences. I've been to CHOC, Saddleback and Mission and all were top notch accomodations and staff. I have quite a few friends that currently work for Hoag and one really good friend that recently passed a few months after brain surgery at Hoag, her boyfriend was with me in the hospital for most of our delivery and he pointed out how crappy it was at Irvine in comparison to Hoag.
How my wife and I were treated at Irvine was just not right. Sure I might feel better after voicing my opinion to some administrative person but the problem was with how they lacked comfort, hospitality and bedside manor mainly for my wife. I had to struggle with some things but what pissed me off was what she had to deal with. This being our first child you can just imagine our level of fear about the unkown. There was only 1 person for a short period of time that realized this possible discomfort and help us adapt. Everyone else was just crap.
OCMerril, I agree about the father being put last. They swept me under the rug when asking my wife questions and a few other things. It was like I wasn't there. After she had her epidural she was finally able to rest for a bit. They came in and woke her up to ask her things I could have answered.
INI, thanks for the offer but at this point I think I'm going to chalk it up to a bad experience. I laid it out here to vent and also to get some opinions so that if I was alone on thinking they were sub-par then I might change my opinion. I still might hit you up to find out who I need to talk to if there are any unresolved issues with the billing since everything else was such a clusterphuk. We opted for the Hep-B shot after the billing was discussed so I'm sure they going to toss another bill under our nose.
Shockwavebob, my wife was sharing some of our experiences to her aunt that works for Mayo Clinic in Phoenix. When she was done ranting I told her "at least you're healthy and so is our daughter". We were not faced with any kind of major emergency that would push the limits of the staff so I can't judge them on all aspects of operating as a hospital.
TopGun, all I can say is THAT SUCKS! I grew up in a house across the 5 from Mission. All the cuts, broken bones, stitches and emergency situations for me and all our neighbors were all handled at Mission. They have always been great and I've never heard any complaints. The biggest reason we chose Irvine was because my wifes OB was close to her work and was tied in to Irvine. I agreed to Irvine because if we had to boogie down to the hospital (much like we did from her water breaking) during the morning commute it would have taken longer to get to mission from RSM than busting down the 241/133 to Irvine. Also, three of my nephews and a few friends were at saddleback. Every time I visited their maternity ward it seemed great and everyone was completely happy. You should have told them you were pregnant to get better treatment ;)
Imirsh1, congrats on your boy.
So, do I ever get to sleep again?