PDA

View Full Version : Conversion jet to v drive?

Magnuman
02-26-2002, 09:12 AM
I am thinking about buying a Schiada 21 that is fitted with a jet. What is the difficulty in coverting it to a v-drive and what ballpark are we talking about in $.
Also any recommendations on who to do this would be appreciated.
Thanks.

old rigger
02-26-2002, 09:53 AM
Magnuman,
Are you looking to buy the one in the boat trader? That's a hell of a deal.
I'm doing the same thing to a Spectra. Big difference though in what I bought a what this Schiada is. I started with a bare hull, filled the holes and am going from there.
Be a whole different story with the other boat. You would have an engine to use and you could sell the pump and all that hardware to some one else, but you'll have to re-do the interior after you re-rig as a v-drive. Have no idea how much it would cost to have someone good rig it out. I think I recently read where Wilkes said to do it right by him, or someone as good as him, it would be in the neighborhood of 20 grand,(maybe more?) starting with a hull that has had all the holes filled. Lots of work.
The only part I'm not looking forward to is flipping the hull over and recessing the bottom for the cav plates. I've done this before with a router and it worked great, but it's a real pain to flip the boat.
At the rate I'm going, mine should be done sometime around the next Winter Olymics.

Magnuman
02-26-2002, 12:37 PM
Old Rigger,
Where did you see a Schiada advertised in trader? I only see one advertised on the site.
Thanks for the info.

old rigger
02-27-2002, 10:03 AM
Magnuman,
Saw it in the boat trader here in Ca. I didn't buy one last week, but for the previous 3 or 4 weeks, there was a 21 (may have been a 20) jet in there. It was under 10 grand. Sounded pretty nice by the add, but I didn't call on it...............

RiverDave
02-27-2002, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Magnuman:
Old Rigger,
Where did you see a Schiada advertised in trader? I only see one advertised on the site.
Thanks for the info.
What site?
RD

schiada96
02-27-2002, 12:06 PM
I don't know about a big hole repair/ fillin right where the strut and rudder go.

1quickjet
02-27-2002, 01:26 PM
It was a 21 RC with olds 455 and berk. Looked very clean. Asking was $7800. In the 909. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

old rigger
02-27-2002, 01:28 PM
schiada96,
I understand your concern, but you don't repair just the hole, you work on a area about 3 times the size of the hole.
It'll never break, if done right.
I have a buddy, who has a Schiada that split the keel from the rudder to the shaft log. Had it repaired properly, and is still ski racing today.

schiada96
02-27-2002, 02:06 PM
Old rigger who does the metal fab where your at? I need some side work. I bought a bare hull from Lee and did it myself. I need to get some spare money for this summer to pay off the hull I have and get some gas!!!!

HUFFPOWER
02-27-2002, 03:10 PM
just fyi,besides the v-drive hardware,you gonna want a turbo 400 trans,$$,then you'll need a new interior,couple of buckets/rear bench,side panels,carpet,i just spent $500 to do my carpet,then don't forget you'll need a tranny/oil cooler setup,lots of braided line,the jet setup for $8000,might give you years of fun for a fraction of the cost,if the hull is in very good condition you just saved another 15k,just a thought.one other cost,you'll need to get a new trailer or mod the existing one.
[This message has been edited by HUFFPOWER (edited February 27, 2002).]

Magnuman
02-27-2002, 04:13 PM
Duhh ...I didn't even think about the trailer. The boat that I was looking at was in Huntington Beach. Its in really nice shape and his bottom line was $10K. I spoke with Lee at Shiada yesterday and have finally concluded its not worth the conversion. I really want a v-drive. This boat is still posted in the Arizona Hot Boat classified section. His original asking price was $16,000.