PDA

View Full Version : Saltwater Boating In Southern Cali

OliverM5
07-23-2007, 11:14 AM
Never been out in the ocean with my 23' Scarab....any easy rides in the Los Angeles/OC area that won't subject me to big waters?
Will I ruin the boat in the salt - what do I have to do differently than at the lake?

32sunrkt
07-23-2007, 11:15 AM
....... The couch at home is soooo much safer.:)

Havasu Hangin'
07-23-2007, 11:17 AM
It just takes a little more cleaning- and rinse the trailer and flush the motor with Salt-a-Way (from West Marine).
With a single engine boat, I'd probably get a VHF radio and flare kit.

Jyruiz
07-23-2007, 11:20 AM
You can launch from Long Beach and stay inside the break wall. I did this several time with my 18' boat and we had a blast.

squirt'nmyload
07-23-2007, 11:53 AM
You can launch from Long Beach and stay inside the break wall. I did this several time with my 18' boat and we had a blast.
good advise. we saw a crapload of smaller boats, deckboats and wakeboard boats out there last weekend. stay far away from the large cruisers because they put out HUGE wakes.

Screaming Pete
07-23-2007, 12:26 PM
if you don't want to ruin your trailer go to one of the launches with a crane and have it lifted in and out

Danhercules
07-23-2007, 12:28 PM
With a single engine boat, I'd probably get a VHF radio and flare kit.
Should have this no matter what. One engine or three.

kap
07-23-2007, 12:44 PM
Oliver M5 wrote:
Will I ruin the boat in the salt - what do I have to do differently than at the lake?
No the boat will be fine do as Havasu Hangin says flush everything with salt X or salt terminator. Wash boat with mild soap salt hates soap and flush motor as soon as you get back home do not wait a day or two it should be done ASAP.
Now as far as your trailer goes unless you have a Aluminum or Galvanized trailer the salt will eat it up. It doesn't matter what you spray it with---- it's gonna rust and all the connections and brakes. It helps to flush out as best you can but water runs into channel of frame and rusts from inside out.
Just do not expect your trailer to last longer than Oh! five years with "repeated" salt water exposure.
Do not forget to carry fresh water with you at least two gallons. VHF, Flare kit, jumper cables, cell phone and tell people your plans ie.. where when and how long you will be out. You need to wear a quality PFD[best one you can afford] and be clipped in to your kill switch at all times this is not an option real easy to get tossed out in the ocean.
You will have a blast it is a lot of fun but respect the ocean and be safe.
KAP

eliminatedsprinter
07-24-2007, 12:00 PM
When I was a kid my dad had a 14 ft mahogany runnabout (that he built from an unfinished hull) with a 35 hp johnson on the back. He used that boat in mostly salt water for about 15 years, from the back bay at Newport to the blue water of the Catalina Channel. All he did was wash it with soapy water and flush it with plain fresh water after each trip and he never had a corrosion probem with either the boat or the trailer.:D

DMOORE
07-24-2007, 12:07 PM
You will have a blast in the big blue in a 23FT Scarab. The boat is plenty big to head out in. A hand held VHF radio is always a good idea when you're out. A hand held GPS is also a good call, just in-case you need to tell someone EXACTLY where you are at. Get some salt away and enjoy.
Darrell.

Dude! Sweet!
07-24-2007, 12:11 PM
Davies ramp at Second street in LB (right by PCH) is another good one. You can run around inside Los Alamitos bay, around Naples Island, the Marine Stadium and you can head out into LB harbor (behind the breakwall). You'll be fine. Just flush and wash everything with Salt Away or similar as recommended. I mean seriously you like boating more than you like your trailer right? :D

Unitek
07-24-2007, 12:19 PM
Is this by chance an Orange SCS Scarab ? If it is lemme buy it before you ruin it lol :D

mondorally
07-24-2007, 12:32 PM
I mean seriously you like boating more than you like your trailer right? :D
So true!
-Justin

jh4rt
07-24-2007, 03:26 PM
Not a bad idea to take the US Power Squadron boating safety course. It will give you the basics of navigation, rules of the road, etc.
Also, as has been said. Always have a VHF, compass and, really smart, a hand-held GPS. If you venture far off shore, as time goes on, you will want to listen to the VHF weather channels. I know Gillian Barberie is prettier, but she doesn't actually know shiat about the weather... :idea: :D
All good advice here.