PDA

View Full Version : Ingrown Toe Nail remedies

Nord
07-23-2007, 01:03 PM
Well, I feel like I should be put down like a horse with a broken leg right now. I have pink eye, which seems to be going away on its own, and have what I think is an ingrown nail:cry: I thought I banged my toe 2 weeks ago, but it must be an ingrown nail on my big toe. It was very swolen for the last 2 days and I can hardly walk on it. Ripping down my back patio cover and installing a walk on deck for the last 2 days straight did not help it at all either. I got a needle here at work and kinda drained the puss:yuk: It still hurts, but not as much. I had a customer tell me to either soak it in peroxide or listerine. I don't want to go to the doctor so should I do this?? Any other remedies? Should I go to a Nail salon, and see if they can fix it??
Thanks!
~Soar toe NORD~

adjones419
07-23-2007, 01:06 PM
Ouch. Never had one, thank God. My cousin had one not too long ago, and my aunt (an RN) got a small pair of scissors out and went to town. I was too chicken to watch.

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-23-2007, 01:06 PM
Well, I feel like I should be put down like a horse with a broken leg right now. I have pink eye, which seems to be going away on its own, and have what I think is an ingrown nail:cry: I thought I banged my toe 2 weeks ago, but it must be an ingrown nail on my big toe. It was very swolen for the last 2 days and I can hardly walk on it. Ripping down my back patio cover and installing a walk on deck for the last 2 days straight did not help it at all either. I got a needle here at work and kinda drained the puss:yuk: It still hurts, but not as much. I had a customer tell me to either soak it in peroxide or listerine. I don't want to go to the doctor so should I do this?? Any other remedies? Should I go to a Nail salon, and see if they can fix it??
Thanks!
~Soar toe NORD~
soak it in Sea salt or epson salt for about 20 mins.. you will have to try and get it out yourself.. The DR. Will hurt you like hell..

LAFD
07-23-2007, 01:08 PM
had this happen to me but i had my nail bed crushed at a concert so i had to have surgery. soak it in warm epson salt and you'll have to dig it out yourself if you didnt cursh your nail bed.

RitcheyRch
07-23-2007, 01:09 PM
I have the same problem. I go to a nail salon every now and then and they cut the ingrown part out. Seems to work for awhile.

burtandnancy2
07-23-2007, 01:12 PM
Right after the soaking, call the doctor. Its called surgery. Mine didn't hurt, he was very good, but took a few extra shots of novocaine...

riverbound
07-23-2007, 01:12 PM
you are just a Focking mess right now:D
(You didnt seem to have these problems when you had your blonde tips ;))
Like others have said.....soak it then go after the ingrown part.
Might want to work on your hygeine a little :D

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-23-2007, 01:13 PM
you are just a Focking mess right now:D
(You didnt seem to have these problems when you had your blonde tips ;))
Like others have said.....soak it then go after the ingrown part.
Might want to work on your hygeine a little :D
LMAO!! :D :D

lucky
07-23-2007, 01:13 PM
Thanks!
~Soar toe NORD~
big knife :D

Sleek-Jet
07-23-2007, 01:16 PM
I big 'ol pair of bolt cutters will do the trick... :D

HokeySon
07-23-2007, 01:17 PM
I finally got tired of the soak and cut process and went to the foot doctor. Turned out I had another nail growing underneath.:eek: He numbed it up and cut it up. No problems since.

Tom Brown
07-23-2007, 01:25 PM
My brother had one that grew in so badly, it curled around like a cork screw and poked out the front of his toe. He thought he had a whitehead on the tip of his big toe... but it was really hard and, as I recall, he mentioned that it was a little sensitive. He clipped it and when he started pulling, you could see his whole toe turn pink and move. We had to unscrew it. :D :D :D
The toenail on my right foot ingrows. It hurts like hell. It's not terrible pain but it doesn't go away.
You need to figure out which part of the nail is ingrowing. It is likely growing straight down like a flat hook. In this case, I find the easiest way is to get a clipper with a little file that has a hook on it. Some of the little files are pointed and some of them have a little hook. The little hook will go under the nail and scrape that part out. It needs to be scraped out from the back, toward the tip of the toe. It's no big deal if you keep on top of it. This one of yours is going to hurt like hell.
If it's growing straight sideways, it will probably be more round in shape. In this case, you can cut it from the edge of the nail with a clipper and pull the segment out with a pair of tweezers, hemostats, or whatever.
The trick is to figure out what's going on so you can back it straight out.
I had a cold a couple of years ago and it left me with no feeling in my feet. Odd but so it went. It's been a treat for toenail maintenance. If I had known how to take care of it prior to losing sensation in my feet, I wouldn't have had to endure the pain for so many years. Having no feeling in your feet makes it easy to figure out what's going on in there, though. Also, it makes it so that taking care of an ingrower isn't really an urgent matter. :D :D :D

Ziggy
07-23-2007, 01:26 PM
I've had to dig out a few of them too. If I keep on top of it and not let it grow back its ok.
My son had one and we took him to the doc for professional repairs. Once the doc removed it properly he put something there to prevent it from growing back in that area...seems to have worked too.

Hotcobra270
07-23-2007, 02:16 PM
Finally something Im an expert on. I've had an ingrown toe nail twice in my life.
This is what you have to do:
1. Get the epson salt like they said above. Soak that baby for about 15 to 20 mins and make sure your toe is nice and soft.
2. Make sure you get those really thin scissors that have some curvature to them (they are really pointy)
3. pull back the skin where on the side of your toe where the ingrown nail is at and slide the scissor down the side of your outer nail.
4. see if you can locate the edge of the nail that is digging into your skin and cut that baby off.
I'm not going to lie to you, its gonna hurt, but the doctor is going to hurt just as bad and its gonna to cost you some $$$$. Make sure you have some antibiotic spray or gel to put it when your done..
Good luck !!

SnakeCharmer
07-23-2007, 02:21 PM
Thanks!
~Soar toe NORD~
Here IS the CURE!!----928-453-6987.........Sandy!
Peroxide is good, also a Drawing Salve

32sunrkt
07-23-2007, 02:29 PM
www.drmoy.com
He's the best....
- Rick

Liberator TJ1984
07-23-2007, 02:31 PM
Good Luck :D hope you can fix that baby yourself ....
going to the Doc ain't that bad :rolleyes:
Once you get past that Numbing shot to the ingrown part , it will bring a tear to your eye....kinda like havin' your nose hairs pulled out thru your rectum :eek: :D

BajaMike
07-23-2007, 02:33 PM
Soaking in epson salt really helps.....soak in a solution of epson salt and water as hot as you can stand it, for 30 minutes, 4 or 5 times a day....it really helps, it draws all the bad stuff out.
:idea:

barbigrl
07-23-2007, 02:56 PM
Thanks!
~Soar toe NORD~
Um does this look like WebMd? GROSS!!!
I do hope you feel better nordie! :( :(

Baja Big Dog
07-23-2007, 02:57 PM
Yep...that's it, dirty underwear.
First, soak the foot in hot water with Epsom salt, about half hour.
Go to the electronic store, get a pair of electronic dyke's (side cutters), gay or not get them!!!
Now the underwear...
Roll up a pair of dirty BVD's (or what ever YOU wear), not your wife's, but yours. Bite down on the dirty underwear, dig the dyke's into the corner of your nail, dig deep and you will find the fricken little nail "finger", cut it deep and tear it out, the dirty underware will taste so bad yo will do this little procedure in a hurry....it hurts bad for about an hour and then its heaven!!!!

pw_Tony
07-23-2007, 03:03 PM
Unfortunately I can't help but have an ingrown toe nail now for a few years.
I've had the doctor clip half of it off but it always grows back to where it was, and damn does that hurt!
Mine was on my left foot on my big toe, the ingrown part was on the left side.
P.S.:THIS IS GONNA HURT LIKE A BIATCH
Take a skinny knife, and work from the side of the ingrown on the top of your toe, and work the knife under your nail at the top to start, having the sharpe side facing away from your skin.
The slowly pry up while working the knife closer to the bottom of your toe, if it's real bad usually some nail will POP up over your skin.
It hurts like hell and have something to clean up a little blood.
After you slowly work towards the bottom while prying up, try and peel the overhung piece of nail off, which will hurt too!
If you can't just peel it off with your fingers the knifes there so you can make a notch in the nail to make it easier.
I've done this several times, got tired of going to the doctors.
Oh yea, it's fockin hurts!

Caljamr
07-23-2007, 03:10 PM
It's funny this subject came up. Has anyone heard of people cutting their toe nails and then chewing on the clippings? A girl at my work said her husband chews on his toe nail clippings. I almost got sick. That's worse than a kid eating his boogers. I've known this guy for 3 years and would have never thought he did this. SICK.

Quest4Fun
07-23-2007, 03:15 PM
O.K. can this thread get any worse??

Caljamr
07-23-2007, 03:18 PM
I'm finding it difficult to bring up my post count so i have to dig deep keep up. :)

Nord
07-23-2007, 03:20 PM
lmao, this thing is going to hit 2 pages by tonight. Lots of good info here, I am going to Wal Mart on my break, and get some peroxide and epson salt. I'll try to take care of it myself.
Thanks again!!
Now what do I do about the pinkeye..........................

san-d-eggo
07-23-2007, 03:29 PM
ok i feel i am an expert. when i was younger i had a bone spur in the tip of my toe that would make my toenail grow in everytime. i have been to the doctor 5 times for the whole burn the nerve, cut half the nail off deal. also i have built a tolerance to novicane because of it. the last and final time, i went to a podiatrist and had that sumbish removed for good. it has been like that for well over 10 years and no more problems, sure i dont have a big toenail but i havent had any need to. people freak out when they notice, its hilarious go get that thing removed for good and thank me later plus i think i could swing 10% off if i ever went and got a pedicure

Baja Big Dog
07-23-2007, 03:33 PM
It's funny this subject came up. Has anyone heard of people cutting their toe nails and then chewing on the clippings? A girl at my work said her husband chews on his toe nail clippings. I almost got sick. That's worse than a kid eating his boogers. I've known this guy for 3 years and would have never thought he did this. SICK.
Holy shit...we have hit an all time low!!!! The bar has just been raised, or lowered!!:D

SummerBreeze
07-23-2007, 03:35 PM
Rub one out
and put a little man ranch on it

topless
07-23-2007, 03:35 PM
Holy shit...we have hit an all time low!!!! The bar has just been raised, or lowered!!:D
Well you have to admit, it's better than chewing on someone elses toenail clipping.:eek:

Nord
07-23-2007, 03:39 PM
Just got the Epsom salt, check it out...........
Epsom salt can be taken external, internal, or used as a fertilizer!!!
~NORD~

Lavey5150
07-23-2007, 03:39 PM
That's sick, but this is sicker- this guy from my old work, hard up for cash, ate about 15-20 or so toe nail clippings from a co-worker right after he clipped them from his sour ass 8 hour old shoes/socks, and dipped them in ranch for a 100 bux.....sicko...............we laughed for a long time and he never heard the end of it, needless to say he never hit any of the hotties working there..................

RitcheyRch
07-23-2007, 03:42 PM
Thats focking disgusting.
That's sick, but this is sicker- this guy from my old work, hard up for cash, ate about 15-20 or so toe nail clippings from a co-worker right after he clipped them from his sour ass 8 hour old shoes/socks, and dipped them in ranch for a 100 bux.....sicko...............we laughed for a long time and he never heard the end of it, needless to say he never hit any of the hotties working there..................

Mandelon
07-23-2007, 03:44 PM
Damn, Nord I hate to say it, but lets see a picture of that thing. :eek:

Biglue
07-23-2007, 03:44 PM
Had em as a kid a few times. As it turns out, you need to cut your toe nails straigt accross and not round them to the shape of your toe.
Little story for ya.. :D
A cousin of mine had a real bad ingrown. I had to drive him to the Dr's office because it was so bad for him. Dr. numbs the shit out of his big toe with a BIG....I mean FOCKING BIG needle. Flicks his toe a couple time, he could still feel it (cried like a baby :D ), got more shots in his toe. Finall the Dr. reaches over and uncovers his utensils. I shoulda ran right then and there. :sqeyes: He takes these medical scissors and cuts his nail right down the center of the toe and takes the bottom blade and twists the side that has the ingrown out so the nail is now cut and half and is now produced an edge for step 2. Well step 2 consisted of taking some pliers type tool and tearing off the side where the ingrown was. Guess where I sat the whole time, on the side the Dr. was of the little curtain they put up so my cousin couldn't see. I wanted to yack. He was sorry he went to the Dr.'s office when the pain killers wore off. :sqeyes: :D

Danhercules
07-23-2007, 03:49 PM
YUP!!! This thread is worthless without pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Danhercules
07-23-2007, 03:49 PM
YUP!!! This thread is worthless without pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

parker guy
07-23-2007, 03:50 PM
Here is what I do:
You will need a small pair of nail clipper dikes
Soak toe in epson salt then cut the middle of the toe nail into a v and that will help the pressure on the side of your toe nail lift up...keep soaking and the nail will grow out
Don't cut your nail so short next time. :)

Nord
07-23-2007, 03:56 PM
Do you think they will have to amputate??
http://www.footpain.org.uk/images/ingrown1.jpg
just kidding, just found this pic on the web lol

Kachina26
07-23-2007, 04:00 PM
Thanks!
~Soar toe NORD~
Quit wearing cheap boots! :D:D:D

Biglue
07-23-2007, 04:01 PM
Do you think they will have to amputate??
http://www.footpain.org.uk/images/ingrown1.jpg
just kidding, just found this pic on the web lol
They should......at the neck.
Who the hell lets that stuff get so bad? :jawdrop:

Jbb
07-23-2007, 04:02 PM
Boltcutters.....go for the whole toe...problem solved!

RitcheyRch
07-23-2007, 04:31 PM
Isnt that the truth. Thats just focking NASTY
They should......at the neck.
Who the hell lets that stuff get so bad? :jawdrop:

ratso
07-23-2007, 05:07 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YnKmSS8Y74Q

ccfdland
07-23-2007, 05:33 PM
you can hope it fills up full of puss when it gets infected. then you can see how much puss you can squeeze out and how far it may squirt. listen for popping noise as it exits. wait a couple of days for it to refill and do it all over again. repeat

talkinghead
07-23-2007, 05:43 PM
This should end it all right here - just call a podiatrist (foot doctor)
All other remedies are very temporary, period.
A foot doctor will carterize the nail, and it should not come back ever again.
Yes, you do get a couple of shots and it sucks, then it's over with.

Nord
07-23-2007, 06:12 PM
That by far is the most fowl disgusting thing that has ever been posted on here. Puke!!!!!!!!!!!

RitcheyRch
07-23-2007, 06:19 PM
Nasty

PunkAssBitch
07-23-2007, 06:25 PM
lmao, this thing is going to hit 2 pages by tonight. Lots of good info here, I am going to Wal Mart on my break, and get some peroxide and epson salt. I'll try to take care of it myself.
Thanks again!!
Now what do I do about the pinkeye..........................
breastmilk clears up pink eye...know any lactatin' mamas? :)
and by the way...this thread gives me the heebie jeebies...ugh...nail stuff is just....:::shudder:::: freaks.me.out. BLEH

riverroyal
07-23-2007, 06:28 PM
its called Witch Hazel,get it at CVS or longs,then pour it in a pan of steaming water,as hot as you can take.It wont cure right then,it takes a few days.Works everytime

randy77zt
07-23-2007, 07:15 PM
most of this is caused by fungus infection of toenail-mainly because men wear boots to work in and feet get hot and sweaty.soaking feet in apple cider vinegar or listerine works to kill fungus.i dont like to soak feet-i have found that vicks vaporub on toe nails works-put on after shower.there are prescription pills for this but the side effects are to your liver and a lot of health insurence wont pay for the rx.you might want your toe nails looking better during boating season-plus they wont hurt.