PDA

View Full Version : Hi-Speed Deckboats

kap
07-23-2007, 05:44 PM
I was curious about how many deckboats on here go faster than 85 MPH.
If so how often and under what conditions, model and powerplant?
If anyone has surpassed the 100MPH mark:eek: I would really like to know more about the make, model and details---incl. handling, issues associated with speed etc..!!
I seriously doubt it though-- probably only a handful of deckboats capable of those speeds.
KAP

MR.rvrluvr
07-23-2007, 05:51 PM
my conquest will go 100mph.....alll day..... any weather any amount of people full of gas, beer, food......
on the trailer behind the pick up.......:D

USCFAN
07-23-2007, 05:54 PM
I believe there is a E-Ticket deck out there that does right at 100mph. Matt would probably know better.

kap
07-23-2007, 05:55 PM
Velle velle funny:D :D !
How fast will it go in da water.
What was I thinking I should have clarified--- forgot I posted in the Sandbar section versus the Hot Boat section.
KAP

Lightning
07-23-2007, 06:00 PM
The Trident Revolution will do better then 90 with a stock 550 Ilmor.

HighRoller
07-23-2007, 06:07 PM
Wasn't there a baller looking to unload his Conquest with a #6 and a nasty Quadrotor mill under the sunpad? I'm thinkin' that rig might have blown off a few bikini tops at 100+

djunkie
07-23-2007, 06:08 PM
Wasn't there a baller looking to unload his Conquest with a #6 and a nasty Quadrotor mill under the sunpad? I'm thinkin' that rig might have hit 100.
That was Sofa King Smooth here. That boat was bad azz!!!!!!!!!!!

SHAWNINATOR
07-23-2007, 06:13 PM
for the past cuople issues of ***boat theyve had some features on some of the big name deck boat manufacturers. most of them get up to around 100 in good water conditions.

house
07-23-2007, 06:14 PM
My buddies Conquest did low 90's. He sold it over a year ago but I did get a ride right around that speed. It was in the chanel running back from Topock and in mild chop the boat just glided.

MBlaster
07-23-2007, 06:17 PM
I believe there is a E-Ticket deck out there that does right at 100mph. Matt would probably know better.
Yea I saw a E Ticket with twin Illmores. Guessing here but I'd say it will better 85mph.

HighRoller
07-23-2007, 06:20 PM
Ilmors are cool, but for the all out pimp factor you need a couple of those Steve Schmidt "pro-stock" marine motors that E-Ticket likes. 950hp on pump gas through a single 4 barrel? That's just wrong...

MR.rvrluvr
07-23-2007, 06:27 PM
conquest Top Cat II merc 525
Me and wife...half gas.....72-74
me, wife, 3 kids, full gas, full coolers (3), bimini up, 110*, up river, 26p lab, 66 mph at 5300.... cruze speed of 50-55 at 4000-4500.......
never seen this boat do more than 74 mph...........

INI
07-23-2007, 06:43 PM

riverroyal
07-23-2007, 06:44 PM
thats fast

INI
07-23-2007, 06:49 PM
thats fast
thats funny my wife says the same thing :D :mad: :D

HighRoller
07-23-2007, 06:50 PM
Will it blow her top off? If not you need to get more HP:D

Kyote
07-23-2007, 06:51 PM
conquest Top Cat II merc 525
Me and wife...half gas.....72-74
me, wife, 3 kids, full gas, full coolers (3), bimini up, 110*, up river, 26p lab, 66 mph at 5300.... cruze speed of 50-55 at 4000-4500.......
never seen this boat do more than 74 mph...........
Nice to have an honest realistic person on the HB forum. Good for you. I'm sure that many see triple digits in their dreams. Put enough horsepower on a log and it will fly!

kap
07-23-2007, 06:52 PM
Well INI seeing how your the first owner to post [over 85mph] can you share the details.
I know the model or I assume your---28 Magic but what powerplant? How does it handle at 91? and can you sustain that speed?
KAP
P.S. Mr. RVRLVR---those are all great numbers 74 is great I was just wondering how many deckboats over 85 so far only one owner. I think my initial estimate about over 100 is right on the mark.

INI
07-23-2007, 07:08 PM
Well INI seeing how your the first owner to post can you share the details.
I know the model or I assume your---28 Magic but what powerplant? How does it handle at 91? and can you sustain that speed?
KAP
P.S. Mr. RVRLVR---those are all great numbers 74 is great I was just wondering how many deckboats over 85 so far only one owner. I think my initial estimate about over 100 is right on the mark.
Mercury Racing 525 ci with a Whipple SC running 7psi on race gas.
CMI Headers, Silent Choice with Switchables...Had system and boost adjusted to run 100oct with 10lbs but that was a test.
Max RPM 6000 at WOT its pretty loud which always make it seem like your going faster....:D
Dustin says motor HP is around 750 plus or minus ...

MR.rvrluvr
07-23-2007, 07:09 PM
Well INI seeing how your the first owner to post [over 85mph] can you share the details.
KAP
I hear ya...just giving real #'s for a 28 with a 525.....It would take some real ponies to get a deck to do a hundy.....I had a conquest pass me one time going by the sandbar, He was MOVING......I heard it had 1200 hp phaff motor or something and it would go 113.....I would hate to put gas in that....my 525 costs me 300 a weekend...Moabi and back...copper canyon....Springs and steamboat.....min 90 gals cruzing at 4000.....I went from Kathrines to Hoover dam at 40mph about 35-3700.. 125 miles on a hundred gals.....burned every drop......4 adults, 4 kids, and lots of supplies......not the fastest thing in the world but very comfy for the family....:D

INI
07-23-2007, 07:11 PM
KAP
There is a new 2007 Magic DB out of the box that does 105mph.....
Again boat speeds are like a giant fish story
Buy my boat and i will guarantee speeds or your money back ;)

plaster dave
07-23-2007, 07:12 PM
AllwaysAdeck on here has a twin turbo 28 Conquest that hauls the mail. Don't hold me to it but I believe it is in the mid-high 90's.

TheCarDudes
07-23-2007, 07:17 PM
Howard 28 SportDeck
TPI700 588 ci
Labbed 28 Bravo
4 Adults full of fuel
75 degree air temp
Water was pure GLASS
I'd like to see it run it 1 to2 ft chop with 2 adults and 1/4 tanks of fuel.
Maybe 93ish?

kap
07-23-2007, 07:34 PM
INI wrote:
Usually, this is true however most don't tell fish stories in public forums. Why! because their friends usually call bull sh it:D .
Thanks for the info on the specs very impressive--- how does it handle at the upper range of speed?
I was waiting to hear from you--- how does it handle at let's say between 85-90? are you white knuckles or is it like a walk in the park---ok speed walk in the park. Plus, I agree with you on the 1-2foot chop most boats like choppy water for speed---aerates the hull better not as sticky.
How does it react to positive trim, turning, cross wakes etc...
KAP
P.S. Almost forgot the count----- 2 Owners over 85MPH None over 100MPH.

boats&bars
07-23-2007, 07:43 PM
I hear ya...just giving real #'s for a 28 with a 525.....It would take some real ponies to get a deck to do a hundy.....I had a conquest pass me one time going by the sandbar, He was MOVING......I heard it had 1200 hp phaff motor or something and it would go 113.....I would hate to put gas in that....my 525 costs me 300 a weekend...Moabi and back...copper canyon....Springs and steamboat.....min 90 gals cruzing at 4000.....I went from Kathrines to Hoover dam at 40mph about 35-3700.. 125 miles on a hundred gals.....burned every drop......4 adults, 4 kids, and lots of supplies......not the fastest thing in the world but very comfy for the family....:D
does the 900 lbs of audio slow you down?

MR.rvrluvr
07-23-2007, 07:51 PM
I'm actully quite surprised by that speed. It seems like it would be a little faster. I know a Warlock Diablo will run mid 80s with a 525, according to Powerboat, and it's a big boat. Not very heavy, but big.
I have a lot of stereo too...about 500#'s, 4 subs, generator, stinger batts.(3)..more like 600#'s
I wish it was faster but that is it.....The warlock does not have the center sponson.....not as much drag....the bottom of the warlock is like a regular cat.....also when you turn it they want to roll to the outside.....most deck boats know a days will turn flat or to the inside....a little more comforting....Just my .02
SWB trust me I wish I could lie and say it was faster but it is not......

MR.rvrluvr
07-23-2007, 07:54 PM
does the 900 lbs of audio slow you down?
ha ha....prob 600 but my 300#'s of beer doesn't help either...(I don't want to get heat stroke)....:D

dicudmore
07-23-2007, 08:25 PM
I have seen "thecardudes" Howard run 85/90 (next to me) and it looks like it is ON RAILS at all speeds, pretty much all conditions...he ran next to me at ~90 on perfect glass water from steamboat to the channel, never missed a beat. Watched one run in some pretty sloppy water on Mohave late June, same deal--didn't skip a beat at any speed. They have a real winner on their hands! :cool: The part that impresses me, is the boat doesn't look like you have to drive the shit out of it either, just put the throttle to the desired setting and point it. :cool: I like the forward facing passenger seat on this boat and the top-catII, and the Ultra--the wind tunnel effect of ANY deck boat and sitting sideways does not seem like a good time to me...55 in a Cheetah fast-cat feels like MACH 2 :wink:
The Trident is putting up some pretty impressive numbers too--I haven't seen it at speed for a long run but have heard its pretty much a slot-car :D
I think there are a couple 90MPH 28' Magics running around...700's with NXT.

vmjtc3
07-23-2007, 08:30 PM
...55 in a Cheetah fast-cat feels like MACH 2 :wink:
I dont notice any wind at all at 55! But then again I have that wind thingy in front of me:D

djunkie
07-23-2007, 08:32 PM
I have seen "thecardudes" Howard run 85/90 (next to me) and it looks like it is ON RAILS at all speeds, pretty much all conditions...he ran next to me at ~90 on perfect glass water from steamboat to the channel, never missed a beat. Watched one run in some pretty sloppy water on Mohave late June, same deal--didn't skip a beat at any speed. They have a real winner on their hands! :cool: The part that impresses me, is the boat doesn't look like you have to drive the shit out of it either, just put the throttle to the desired setting and point it. :cool: I like the forward facing passenger seat on this boat and the top-catII, and the Ultra--the wind tunnel effect of ANY deck boat and sitting sideways does not seem like a good time to me...55 in a Cheetah fast-cat feels like MACH 2 :wink:
The Trident is putting up some pretty impressive numbers too--I haven't seen it at speed for a long run but have heard its pretty much a slot-car :D
I think there are a couple 90MPH 28' Magics running around...700's with NXT.
I saw Teague running a Howard deck boat in Parker last memorial Day weekend and that thing was flat hauling ass and the water was not the smoothest that for sure. :D :D

andy01
07-23-2007, 08:35 PM
There are some fast ones out there. Conquests and 6's don't mix. The boat doesn't like them...... take them off and put a bravo on with some big HP and you might see 133mph, maybe.............
Andy :D

onetallhd
07-23-2007, 11:24 PM
Riverholic's 28 Magic Deck 540ci by Boostpower 650HP XR Drive 28 labbed prop is good for 84MPH Thats the best we have seen in light chop.

TopGun4608
07-23-2007, 11:37 PM
I was headed back from steamboat a few weekends back in my conquest and a white conquest with gray flames came runnin up on me. I will guarantee it was running 110! I dont know what it had for power cause I couldnt catch em to find out. Shit time I got to the channel he was probably on the trailer and loaded! I know Keith over at Magic delivered a 28 deck last week with a 710 in it that did 95 on its delivery test with the new owners.

dicudmore
07-23-2007, 11:38 PM
I was headed back from steamboat a few weekends back in my conquest and a white conquest with gray flames came runnin up on me. I will guarantee it was running 110! I dont know what it had for power cause I couldnt catch em to find out. Shit time I got to the channel he was probably on the trailer and loaded! I know Keith over at Magic delivered a 28 deck last week with a 710 in it that did 95 on its delivery test with the new owners.
that conquest has "big" power :cool: his Skater runs decent too :D

Uniqueperformancewest
07-23-2007, 11:50 PM
E-ticket just had a 29 Luxury Cat with twin Ilmor 625's and it ran 108mph all day long and handled the chop really well. It was the owners personal boat however he recently sold it and has already ordered Ilmor 710's for a new boat. His boats are crazy fast and run really well out in havi, actually if you look at the current Powerboat Mag there is one of his boats there right now. The boat has twin 525's and ITS drives and runs 101mph so its a pretty impressive machine.
John
Unique Performance West, Inc.

Daytona100
07-24-2007, 12:30 AM
Sounds like fun. Mike:)

TheCarDudes
07-24-2007, 05:03 AM
CARDUDES:
I was waiting to hear from you--- how does it handle at let's say between 85-90? are you white knuckles or is it like a walk in the park---ok speed walk in the park. Plus, I agree with you on the 1-2foot chop most boats like choppy water for speed---aerates the hull better not as sticky.
How does it react to positive trim, turning, cross wakes etc...
KAP
As Dan said, 85 to 90 is the best part of driving that boat. No work at all.
She loves to run at 2.25 trim. I think 2.00 is dead even. I flew over some 3 ft plus chop on a late Sat afternoon at 80 plus. Trimmed it to 2.5 and just stood ON THE GAS as the name of the boat says. It is a fun boat to drive. If anything, I think my wife had the white knuckles that day. :D

Froggystyle
07-24-2007, 07:15 AM
It has been mentioned already, but both of the I/O powered Tridents run over 90. Both with N/A Ilmor power as well, both with big stereos.
Just throwing that out there... :D

Havasu_Dreamin
07-24-2007, 07:23 AM
I saw Teague running a Howard deck boat in Parker last memorial Day weekend and that thing was flat hauling ass and the water was not the smoothest that for sure. :D :D
I believe that was this boat. Has a Teague 900 in it.....
http://www.rarekoncepts.com/images/101_1778-small.jpg

Froggystyle
07-24-2007, 07:26 AM
If I had $1 million to spend on a boat, I'd buy a Nortech. :D :D
II would buy half of a Marlowe Explorer and finance the rest...

kap
07-24-2007, 07:33 AM
Cardudeswrote:
She loves to run at 2.25 trim. I think 2.00 is dead even. I flew over some 3 ft plus cop on a late Sat afternoon at 80 plus. Trimmed it to 2.5
Thats the kind of info I like to read about a boater telling me what works on his boat and that he knows how to drive it. You notice most of the magazines do not tell you anything like the above. They play hide the ball????
Djunkie
That boat does haul azz it is only one of a handful that I know of that will exceed the 100MPH mark. Unfortunately, that owner does not post on here it would be nice to hear from him/her.
Andy01
I respect your background--however 133MPH ummmm were not friends--- but I call Bull Sh it on that because a good friend will do that :D . Your right the operative word was "MIGHT SEE".
Dicudmore wrote:
55 in a Cheetah fast-cat feels like MACH 2 You ain't lying there at 65 your nervous.
I saw the principals boat at Conquest and those boats were running Sterling engines but do not have any numbers on them or Fly-By confirms from fellow boaters.
Well so far no owners from the 100 mile an hour deckboat club posting. I have been researching this topic and only find a handful of boats in this arena and of those boats most carry MONSTER HP.
IMO, E-Ticket leads the pack of Hi Perf Deckboats, but it is a TWIN vs. most are SINGLES not an equitable comparison.
Still waitiing to hear from a deckboat owner who exceeds the 100MPH mark.
KAP
P.S. I would love to hear from the 700NXT Magics or Ilmor Conquests like a 710. The factory 700's are rare especially the NXT Merc stuff as it is sooooo damm expensive:jawdrop: .

Brewzed
07-24-2007, 08:11 AM
I'm actully quite surprised by that speed. It seems like it would be a little faster. I know a Warlock Diablo will run mid 80s with a 525, according to Powerboat, and it's a big boat. Not very heavy, but big.
I wouldn't really consider the Diablo a deck boat. It's more of a open bow cat with a walk through.

Brewzed
07-24-2007, 08:14 AM
I think Advantage just finished up a 34' Party Cat with twin 710 Illmors that runs well over 100. I can't remember the numbers Bob told us, but I think it was 120ish.

HM
07-24-2007, 08:21 AM
I think Advantage just finished up a 34' Party Cat with twin 710 Illmors that runs well over 100. I can't remember the numbers Bob told us, but I think it was 120ish.
***boat had an article on the 34 about a year and a half ago or longer. Twins making 850HP+ they were hitting 130 mph ++. They said the interesting thing that when they let off of the gas....the boat didn't really slow down much...kind of scared them.:eek: They also said the Advantage was a rattle trap.

Not So Fast
07-24-2007, 08:23 AM
KAP
P.S. I would love to hear from the 700NXT Magics or Ilmor Conquests like a 710. The factory 700's are rare especially the NXT Merc stuff as it is sooooo damm expensive:jawdrop: .[/QUOTE]
Try contacting Advantage Adam here on the boards, he is/was the owner of the 28 Magic Deck with a 700/NXT package that was at the LA show. I also thought I saw it for sale:confused: By his words he has seen 90+ and still trying to dial it in, very nice boat, anyway give him a try. NSF PS oh yeah, you may want to get the Power Boat test from 2003 on a Magic Deck that was done down in Parker and if I remember correctly it ran above 105mph!!!!

DMOORE
07-24-2007, 08:26 AM
They said the interesting thing that when they let off of the gas....the boat didn't really slow down much...
It must have really been packing some air!:jawdrop:
Darrell.

djunkie
07-24-2007, 09:06 AM
I believe that was this boat. Has a Teague 900 in it.....
http://www.rarekoncepts.com/images/101_1778-small.jpg
Yup thats it. I saw him make a few passes that were close to triple digits. We didn't have the radar gun out so we couldn't tell for sure though. One thing I noticed though was that the boat got on plane VERY well and quick IMO.

Not So Fast
07-24-2007, 09:11 AM
KAP
P.S. I would love to hear from the 700NXT Magics or Ilmor Conquests like a 710. The factory 700's are rare especially the NXT Merc stuff as it is sooooo damm expensive:jawdrop: .
Try contacting Advantage Adam here on the boards, he is/was the owner of the 28 Magic Deck with a 700/NXT package that was at the LA show. I also thought I saw it for sale:confused: By his words he has seen 90+ and still trying to dial it in, very nice boat, anyway give him a try. NSF PS oh yeah, you may want to get the Power Boat test from 2003 on a Magic Deck that was done down in Parker and if I remember correctly it ran above 105mph!!!![/QUOTE]
KAP
I just looked it up on their website (Powerboat magazine) and yup it was 2003 for Outstanding Performance Deckboat Test and qouted at 108.1 mph :eek: The article is a lot longer but you would have to order that copy to get all of it, what they list is the compressed version. NSF

Keith E. Sayre
07-24-2007, 09:12 AM
The all white Conquest deck with great looking grey flames all over it is owned by Chip Romer who also owns the Budweiser distributorship here in Arizona. That's about 572 inches of well built chevrolet and runs about
110 mph on GPS.
I think that Lee Crissells Conquest is about the fastest one I've seen. I drove
it 117 mph on GPS with 4 adults and full of gas. It has about 1280 Paul Pfaff hp in it. He went through about 6 outdrives last year but the boat handled
very well. It starts kiting a bit after 115 mph.
Mike Brown had a Conquest built by Gary Kincaid about 10 years ago that ran about 114 mph.
Fastest ones that I've heard of.
Keith Sayre
Magic Boats

kap
07-24-2007, 09:47 AM
Thanks Not So Fast
I will go through my back issues and find that.
Keith Sayre wrote:
It starts kiting a bit after 115 mph. Was that with the bimini up:D :D just kidding. Seriously though thats some good info. to know when you start pushing the speed limits. I would imagine and conclude that would happen [kiting] given the power to weight ratio. Thats why the E-Ticket boats do so well they weigh alot I believe 6600 lbs [allegedly].
Keith you showed me the principals boats when you were at GOM the Sterling powered ones under the covers. What kind of numbers did those run???
Whats the word on the 700NXT--- whats your experience with that combo. Driven any? Going to? or still waiting.
Thanks for the follow up info:) .
KAP

kap
07-24-2007, 09:59 AM
A good point was brought up by a member directly:) .
This thread was not a speed contest on whose deckboat goes the fastest. I merely wanted to hear from owners about their deckboats, speeds, combinations ie... power/drive, and how they handle at Hi Speeds ie... characteristics.
I wanted to hear first hand from owners what they experienced versus what we all read about or hear from an unverified source.
See prior posts by Mr. Rvrlvr and Cardudes on page one.
Thanks,
KAP

GABACHOS_LBC
07-24-2007, 09:59 AM
I was going to say if anyone knows what kind of speed deck boats are seeing it would be Keith. I can't imagine taking a deck boat over 100MPH, at least a 28' deck boat. By the looks of the new 32' Conquest, it doesn't look like any MPH over 100 should be a problem. Hopefully they can put enough horsepower in one of those to move that monster across the lake and put up some decent numbers. The all white Conquest deck with great looking grey flames all over it is owned by Chip Romer who also owns the Budweiser distributorship here in Arizona. That's about 572 inches of well built chevrolet and runs about
110 mph on GPS.
it 117 mph on GPS with 4 adults and full of gas. It has about 1280 Paul Pfaff hp in it. He went through about 6 outdrives last year but the boat handled
very well. It starts kiting a bit after 115 mph.
Mike Brown had a Conquest built by Gary Kincaid about 10 years ago that ran about 114 mph.
Fastest ones that I've heard of.
Keith Sayre
Magic Boats

Deano
07-24-2007, 10:21 AM
it 117 mph on GPS with 4 adults and full of gas. It has about 1280 Paul Pfaff hp in it.
the phaffinator hauls the mail :eek:
I think sofa king smooth was up in the low 120's with that 6 hangin off the back.

andy01
07-24-2007, 10:37 AM
I think there was even video of a 120 mph run up river? I could be wrong. Also two have left GT with some big power. I didn't drive/ride/nor see any of them run, so I would go with the numbers Kieth put up. He is the Conquest guy err past Conquest guy.
Andy

sofa king smooth
07-24-2007, 10:38 AM
My conquest went 117 on gps with a 1150hp quad rotor and a xr drive with a 2 inch shorty lower with 1.21 gear ratio a a non labbed 30 pitch prop. The boat probably had 5 mph more in it but ran out of river. Never really went after the big number again due to drive stress. We went through 6 drives in one summer. The boat handled very well at 110 plus.
Switched to a # 6 and by the time the boat was done lost interest in it and sold it. Never really spent any time dialing in the 6 but from my little seat time the boat did not like it.

sofa king smooth
07-24-2007, 10:42 AM
I have some video of the boat running around 115 I will see if I can find it.

kap
07-24-2007, 10:45 AM
That would be awesome if you could post that.
Worth some Heineken's for sure:D .
KAP
Err Budweiser if thats your choice.

sofa king smooth
07-24-2007, 10:49 AM
Found three videos however,have to wait for the wife to post them since I have no clue. Have a couple facing backwards and one facing ahead. Will get them up tonight for sure.

sofa king smooth
07-24-2007, 10:49 AM
Bud lights:)

Keith E. Sayre
07-24-2007, 10:52 AM
Andy: I also heard that Sofa King Smooth ran 120 mph with 6 drive. In
response to your question about the boats that I showed you, the 875 boat
ran 95 and some change and the other one I believe had 920 and has a 2
speed transmission hidden in the stand off box which allows him to run a
bigger prop and still plane quicklly, I think he ran 108 or something like that.
Getting back to the question about handling, other than the kiting which
started about 115 mph, I don't ever recall anything scary or remotely
unusual in any Magic or Conquest or Eliminator deckboat that I've driven or
ridden in.
I will however note that if you put a stand off box on one of the above
mentioned deckboats or one with the same bottom as them, the boat
will not plane as quickly, it will hop in the turns a bit and won;t want to
turn as crisply and it may porpoise a bit at certain speeds. All things
which these "deep cemter sponsoned" cats don't normally do. The boxes
do however add 2-3 mph to the top end.
Hope that this helps you.
Keith Sayre
Magic Boats
Lake Havasu City

sofa king smooth
07-24-2007, 10:58 AM
I had a stand off box and didn't experience any of the above mentioned,I had a two inch shorter lower though.
Never saw 120 with the six but never played with either,was very burnt when the project was finished. Have no doubt the boat would have gone 120 with the xr. Never felt kiting either but every boat is a little different. Great boats I would highly recommend one.

djunkie
07-24-2007, 11:19 AM
Found three videos however,have to wait for the wife to post them since I have no clue. Have a couple facing backwards and one facing ahead. Will get them up tonight for sure.
I had those videos on my old computer and they were very impressive. The shot of the roost is awesome!!!!!:D :D

kap
07-24-2007, 03:03 PM
SKS:
Thanks:D ! I look forward to the videos your the only official member of the 100MPH DECKBOAT CLUB---so far---Grand Prize some Budlight---PM me for delivery location.
Djunkie's description is awesome should probably put it on You Tube.
Keith S. wrote:
In response to your question about the boats that I showed you, the 875 boat ran 95 and some change and the other one I believe had 920 and has a 2 speed transmission hidden in the stand off box which allows him to run a bigger prop and still plane quicklly, I think he ran 108 or something like that.
That seems about right for a single engine 28 deckboat with that kind of power.
I think HB or PB tested a [yellow] Dominator with monster power [over 950HP and reached 105-108 MPH]. The test indicated tremendous mid-range accelleration but was very beige in other areas-- including cruising at sustained high speed, associated issues at speed--hopping/loping, stability, and driveability.
Plus, it is different when you have real boat owners commenting. As opposed to when you have a professional offshore driver or engine builder, who is being paid to render an opinion with fee based advertising or business interest at stake.
When owner's chime in--- it is the actual consumer giving real life experiences.
Let's face you cannot obtain this type of feedback anywhere else--- other than a personal conversation with the owner of the boat, first hand observation on the boat [ie. drive it or being a passenger], or a public forum such as HB.
KAP

boatnam2
07-24-2007, 05:08 PM
If i was wiping my ass with 100 dollar bills maybe i can see it,but what is the point of a deck boat that goes 110mph.Ok i know the 5% of the time you drive it by yourself it is fun but the other 95% when the boat is loaded i dont see it. Very high cost always have to worry about blowing it up shitload of gas.Well you get the guy that says he hauls ass all the time with the boat loaded well then first of all your not to smart your the only one having fun and you should of spent your money on a nice cat were 4 or 5 people can sit and feel safe.I dont see no fun in sitting sideways in the front of a open boat doing 80-90-100 i dont have to worry mine only goes 75 on a good day but i can tell by the passengers face that is more then enough.Of course this isnt all deckboats because a few are just a open bow cat but that is another story.

sofa king smooth
07-24-2007, 07:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e03KHNFHFq0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2DaQBLJ1DI

kap
07-24-2007, 07:56 PM
If i was wiping my ass with 100 dollar bills maybe i can see it,but what is the point of a deck boat that goes 110mph.Ok i know the 5% of the time you drive it by yourself it is fun but the other 95% when the boat is loaded i dont see it. Very high cost always have to worry about blowing it up shitload of gas.Well you get the guy that says he hauls ass all the time with the boat loaded well then first of all your not to smart your the only one having fun and you should of spent your money on a nice cat were 4 or 5 people can sit and feel safe.I dont see no fun in sitting sideways in the front of a open boat doing 80-90-100 i dont have to worry mine only goes 75 on a good day but i can tell by the passengers face that is more then enough.Of course this isnt all deckboats because a few are just a open bow cat but that is another story.
Thank you for the commentary:D . I would refer you to page one first post and the above video.
KAP

sofa king smooth
07-24-2007, 08:06 PM
First one was tough for the camera man but we were movin pretty good. It was the middle of winter so there was not a sole around,it was perfect. Hopefully see you on the river then you can pay up on some bud lights.:D Let me know if I can be any more help to you.

kap
07-25-2007, 07:55 AM
SKS
No problem with the payoff [I.E. Budlights] you earned it.
This conclusion is contrary to what I/we read in popular periodicals about categories of deckboats routinely in the triple digit realm. Their is nothing routine about any boat doing 100MPH. It is even more interesting when they include deckboats along with hi-performance catamarans and v bottoms in group testing. I do not know what conclusions to draw from that comaparison.
I appreciate all the owners who posted even those who's boats were not in the speed realm described. As they set the benchmarks for the limits of mild power and can showcase a hull or driving ability of a particular model.
Maybe I should have been more inflammatory to get other boat owners to respond as we only heard from the following owners of deckboats; Howard, Conquest, Magic, E-Ticket, with some mention of Advantage.
Speaking of which I haven't even heard of one owner of a Advantage X-29 or even a build by an owner maybe the resident Havasu people know of one. I would really like to read what they say.
KAP

Froggystyle
07-25-2007, 08:20 AM
The thing about the wind, sitting sideways, inherent danger etc... is that you can choose to take all of those aspects away.
It is no more breezy for the driver than a normal non-canopied boat. You are facing forward, have a bolstered seat with a nice windscreen in front of you. Using our boat as an example, I don't travel with passengers much above 75, though it is very comfortable for most at 75. The difference between owning a fast deck and a fast cat is that when you want to go really fast, you empty the boat, go haul ass and then drive back to shore, pick up your party and have a blast with 14 people in your boat. No need to own two boats.
There are comprimises in everything. There is no cabin in a deck obviously, and if you want a cabin, you need to look elsewhere. But for your average performance enthusiast with other needs, such as family, friends, dogs etc... the deck really blends the world of high performance cats with the utility of pontoon boats very, very well.
Here is a video of us at 90-ish on Parker. Note towards the end that the ride is so smooth that my dog Izzy is just walking around.
http://www.tridentboats.com/trident_boats_gallery/v/videos/90_MPH_With_Izzy.wmv.html
Click on "Download" to open the movie...
Here is a 93 mph pass in front of Roadrunner...
http://www.tridentboats.com/trident_boats_gallery/v/videos/93_MPH_Pass_L.wmv.html
And here is the turn immediately above Roadrunner. Note how the boat leans in, takes a set and carves the turn. We were going over 85 on this turn, pulling into the 90's pretty soon afterwards. This is the turn that led into the above run...
http://www.tridentboats.com/trident_boats_gallery/main.php?g2_view=core%3AShowItem&g2_itemId=2995
All of those were taken the same day, with a 550 Ilmor, normally aspirated, pump gas, making 530 or so horsepower at 5400 RPM's. Boat is fully loaded, with cooler, anchors, lifejackets and big audio system. Trim is set almost dead level at high speed, as you can see by the long, short rooster tail coming off of the starboard side of the prop. Teague Platinum XR drive on an IMCO HD transom assembly running 1.50 gears. 28 pitch lab Bravo 1 four blade prop with a 4% slip.
Enjoy the videos...

Mattman
07-25-2007, 08:36 AM
Magic 28' Deck with a Teague 800 EFI and Platinum Drive runs upper 80's all day long.

Froggystyle
07-25-2007, 08:39 AM
Magic 28' Deck with a Teague 800 EFI and Platinum Drive runs upper 80's all day long.
I smile every time I hear that kind of information... :D

NashvilleBound
07-25-2007, 08:45 AM
I smile every time I hear that kind of information... :D
Me too!!!! But who am I to say........... :D :D :D

Keith E. Sayre
07-25-2007, 09:27 AM
KAP: Although they're not members of Hot Boat.com, I can get you the phone numbers of the guys that I mentioned in previous posts. They're
good guys and will be happy to tell you what they did and how they did it
etc. You're right, actual owners are probably the best source of real info that you can get. Call me if you want to speak to them.
Keith Sayre
Magic Boats
928-680-7600

Froggystyle
07-25-2007, 10:47 AM
KAP: Although they're not members of Hot Boat.com, I can get you the phone numbers of the guys that I mentioned in previous posts. They're
good guys and will be happy to tell you what they did and how they did it
etc. You're right, actual owners are probably the best source of real info that you can get. Call me if you want to speak to them.
Keith Sayre
Magic Boats
928-680-7600
I would take him up on that. Get the real skinny from owners who have been there...

bohica
07-25-2007, 11:14 AM
There are comprimises in everything. There is no cabin in a deck obviously, and if you want a cabin, you need to look elsewhere. But for your average performance enthusiast with other needs, such as family, friends, dogs etc... the deck really blends the world of high performance cats with the utility of pontoon boats very, very well.
I've got a small cabin in my Conquest. Although small, there's enough room for a couple of small kids to sit on the bench seat that's in there. Even I can lay down in there and take a nap. I've got a flip down dvd player, lights, fan and a deckhatch. It's the area in front of the passenger. Lost the space a cooler would normally go, but great for the kids if they want to get out of the sun.:D

Froggystyle
07-25-2007, 11:20 AM
I've got a small cabin in my Conquest. Although small, there's enough room for a couple of small kids to sit on the bench seat that's in there. Even I can lay down in there and take a nap. I've got a flip down dvd player, lights, fan and a deckhatch. It's the area in front of the passenger. Lost the space a cooler would normally go, but great for the kids if they want to get out of the sun.:D
Of course you are right, but I am talking about a berth/cabin that you can overnight in.
Getting out of the sun is one thing, having a cabin is another. It is something we strongly considered before deleting, but we felt that the added flow of traffic, the open architecture and the wide open seating trumped the secondary helm and small cabin.
Maybe it is because I don't have kids... who knows?

kap
07-25-2007, 12:09 PM
Keith S:
Thank you for your generous offer. You have always been polite, courteous and professional when we have spoken. You are a great advocate for the boater and a gentleman.
I can contact numerous manufacturers regarding potential customers with candidate boats. However, I wanted to hear more from HB/members/owners with deckboats in the hi-performance category.
The initial conclusions were very realistic. Several hypothesis I developed along the way turn out to be more fact than fiction. Imagine that:jawdrop: :eek: .
This does not mean someone with the right model and combo can't chime in and share their experiences quite the contrary.
Unfortunately, the solo grandprize went to SKS. However, I would not be oppossed to sharing some Dos Equis lager down at Ski Beach, if I were to be invited to a Trident launching :D after we come off the water.
Thanks for the posts.
KAP
P.S. IMO the deckboat threads are the most interesting boating topic on here.

NashvilleBound
07-25-2007, 12:32 PM
Keith S:
The initial conclusions were very realistic. Several hypothesis I developed along the way turn out to be more fact than fiction. Imagine that:jawdrop: :eek: .
This does not mean someone with the right model and combo can't chime in and share their experiences quite the contrary.
KAP....What exactly are you looking for??? Numbers only? Complete stories? I would be happy to honestly share either...

kap
07-25-2007, 02:30 PM
NB:
I was curious about how many deckboats on here go faster than 85 MPH.
If so how often and under what conditions, model and powerplant?
If anyone has surpassed the 100MPH mark:eek: I would really like to know more about the make, model and details---incl. handling, issues associated with speed etc..!!
I seriously doubt it though-- probably only a handful of deckboats capable of those speeds.
KAP
NB you might want to add the following;
Their are only a handful of deckboat owners [with fingers to spare]--- who have a boat/model/engine combination capable of triple digit numbers and know how to handle their boat at such speeds.
In addition, deckboats capable of speeds between 85-99 is also a rarified occurrence/event for the majority in the deckboat realm [emphasis added].
NB by all means, I would be happy to hear some numbers, engine/drive and experiences with your vessel:D :D .
KAP

NashvilleBound
07-25-2007, 04:20 PM
My 05 28' Magic with the Ilmor 625 runs right at 80GPS with a light load. It was supposed to run middle to high 80's according to my salesman.... course he was a crack head and they messed up my graphics twice.... amongst other stuff.....like the WAY too low X dim.(not him personally on that one) So last year I changed it to the TCM shorty. The 80mph is with a 26p Bravo1. I did order a Maximus 5 blade and had it labbd from Bblades....I have not had a good opportunity to run it and report true numbers. Brett figures it will run roughly 84 My Magic is VERY weight sensitive as far as top end. Two or three people take 5-10mph off.... I would reccomend Magics still, right AFTER about 6 or 7 others..... I guess I was just expecting more.

98 Vector 21
07-25-2007, 04:28 PM
There is a new 2007 Magic DB out of the box that does 105mph.....
Buy my boat and i will guarantee speeds or your money back ;)
How many drives later is that? Inquiring minds want to know....:D

98 Vector 21
07-25-2007, 04:30 PM
I would hope so! I would also expect more....