PDA

View Full Version : Caught some guys scoping out my house..License plate searches?

Kurtis500
07-23-2007, 08:18 PM
I caught a few guys looking over my fence this evening. I pulled past my alley where the stopped when I saw them. I stopped, back up, and they jumped in the car and sped off. Fortunately I knew how to cut them off between another alley and a business and got right in behind them. They turned onto the main street without stopping and went south cutting off people trying to get away. By luck, I got right behind and next to them at the red light they could not avoid and got thier license plate number. The back door of the car opened up as if one of them was going to get out and come over to me, but I could see the people in the car motioning him to stay and the car door promptly shut and they sped off south once the light turned green. I did call PD and inform them of what I saw.
Question: Anybody do license plate searches? Not that I have any desire to confront somebody, but I just want to be heads up about what area they came from. Is there a good online search engine or a reliable way to find out where they came from?
Plate was Arizona#: 218-XHB

Jetboatguru
07-23-2007, 08:20 PM
I caught a few guys looking over my fence this evening. I pulled past my alley where the stopped when I saw them. I stopped, back up, and they jumped in the car and sped off. Fortunately I knew how to cut them off between another alley and a business and got right in behind them. They turned onto the main street without stopping and went south cutting off people trying to get away. By luck, I got right behind and next to them at the red light they could not avoid and got thier license plate number. The back door of the car opened up as if one of them was going to get out and come over to me, but I could see the people in the car motioning him to stay and the car door promptly shut and they sped off south once the light turned green. I did call PD and inform them of what I saw.
Question: Anybody do license plate searches? Not that I have any desire to confront somebody, but I just want to be heads up about what area they came from. Is there a good online search engine or a reliable way to find out where they came from?
Plate was Arizona#: 218-XHB
That is 396's plate!!
I knew it!!

topless
07-23-2007, 08:31 PM
That is 396's plate!!
I knew it!!So I take it the drivers side door was bashed in and there were bricks on the hood.:jawdrop:

Outnumbered
07-23-2007, 08:59 PM
http://theftaz.azag.gov/index.php#results-anchor

finsfan4life
07-23-2007, 09:25 PM
Hey brother, I am sure I dont need to tell you to be careful about following potential thugs like that. Pretty sure P.D. cant do too much with that (soundz like crime did not actually occurr yet). Did you provide P.D. the plate number ? Do u have anything in your yard or in your house that is special ?
Soundz like these thugs were possibly casing ur house. Do you have any kids that might know something (if in that troublesome age range).
I would advise all ur neighbors what happen, asked them to keep a look out !
also if these idiots were legit thugs, they were possibly even driving a rental car (Very popular tactic used by scumbags and Raider fans, ha).
Also, one thing I would do...contact the Police or Sheriff dept. who covers ur area, and asked to speak with the detective that handles property crimes (ei: burglaries). Run that info by him or her. If these a-holes are are area thieves, maybe that detective can use that info u got (plate number), or even already be involved in other cases that are pending......Good luck !!!1

Kurtis500
07-23-2007, 09:37 PM
Hey brother, I am sure I dont need to tell you to be careful about following potential thugs like that. Pretty sure P.D. cant do too much with that (soundz like crime did not actually occurr yet). Did you provide P.D. the plate number ? Do u have anything in your yard or in your house that is special ?
Soundz like these thugs were possibly casing ur house. Do you have any kids that might know something (if in that troublesome age range).
I would advise all ur neighbors what happen, asked them to keep a look out !
also if these idiots were legit thugs, they were possibly even driving a rental car (Very popular tactic used by scumbags and Raider fans, ha).
Also, one thing I would do...contact the Police or Sheriff dept. who covers ur area, and asked to speak with the detective that handles property crimes (ei: burglaries). Run that info by him or her. If these a-holes are are area thieves, maybe that detective can use that info u got (plate number), or even already be involved in other cases that are pending......Good luck !!!1
Got all the above already done. Thanks!
Like I said, I have no desire to confront. However, I do want to know where they came from and if they are from this area. P.D. already knows, and they checked that plates and said they were not stolen.

OverKill
07-23-2007, 10:17 PM
My cousin works for the PD and I will ask him to run the plate tommorow and see what he comes up with. Just to give you a heads up if this car has been in any trouble before.
O.K.

HavasuSelect
07-23-2007, 10:21 PM
Got all the above already done. Thanks!
Like I said, I have no desire to confront. However, I do want to know where they came from and if they are from this area. P.D. already knows, and they checked that plates and said they were not stolen.
Kurtis,
As FinsFan stated you may want to speak with the Burg Detective. There's a difference between chcecking the plates to see if it's a stolen veh, and checking to see if that veh is possibly connected to other burg's in the area.
That veh may fit the description of a susp veh used in other crimes around the area.
Either way, if anything happens to your house (god forbid), you have a pretty strong lead.

Daytona100
07-24-2007, 12:51 AM
kill em.:eek:

fatboy95
07-24-2007, 06:34 AM
Make some flyers and pass them out, desc. of the car and plate #. Neighbors like to know that kind of stuff and someone living near you may be involved.

Baja Big Dog
07-24-2007, 07:47 AM
Good news....Bad news......
Good news, I ran it....
Bad news...it belongs to Havaskank, she was fleecing the hood for laundry hanging in the back yards...

Dave C
07-24-2007, 07:56 AM
u shouldn't have been writing, u should have been reloading.... ;)

91nordic29
07-24-2007, 08:58 AM
Which are of town? What kind of vehicle?

adjones419
07-24-2007, 09:05 AM
Hide behind the fence with a shotgun and wait for them to come back.

2Driver
07-24-2007, 01:26 PM
2 months ago I left the house (driveway is 1/4 mile long) and noticed the truck out on the street was sort of scoping things out. Minutes later from my kids bus stop I see the guy who watched me leave drive up to my house. He didn’t know I was just 2 ridges over and could see him.
I flew home and blocked him coming out my driveway. He claimed to be looking for deer alters. I told him to get packing and that I was turning in his information. The wonderful and condescending Maricopa sheriff deputy came to the house and acted like " what do you expect us to do about it?" :mad: I said well there has been robberies in the area maybe you might want to chat with the guy or database the information. He gave me his card and got in his car an drove off.

HavaSkank
07-24-2007, 01:30 PM
Good news....Bad news......
Good news, I ran it....
Bad news...it belongs to Havaskank, she was fleecing the hood for laundry hanging in the back yards...
I was in search of some clean chonies. My old ones were attracting the flies

Kurtis500
07-25-2007, 11:50 AM
I was in search of some clean chonies. My old ones were attracting the flies
You can have mine. Skid marks and all...

Kurtis500
07-25-2007, 11:51 AM
UPDATE:
Hmmm, so our friend about a 1/4 mile away says they had some stuff stolen out of thier backyard that night. Looks like I'll be making another follow-up call.

BoatPI
07-25-2007, 01:01 PM
Playing self appointed cop is not so bright..at all. Call the PD and ask for the burglary detectives. Relate to them what you saw, and the license plate. They will keep the info, and perhaps cross reference that plate to other crimes. Be a good witness, not someone who is:
1. Going to get themselves killed trying to play cop.
2. Leave a family without a father, etc.
3. Get sued and loose everything you have, or will have, while trying to play cop.
4. Get a cop in deep trouble when they provide you the registration info theat takes you down the wrong path. It will all fall back on them for giving them the info.
Do the right thing.
Law enforcement officers and training, great observation skills, and computers, plus the power to arrest based on probable cause. You have NONE of these assets. This is why we pay them the bucks, to take a clue and see where the trail takes them. And the best cluse are often provided by peeps like you seeing unusual circumstances and reporting them.

superdave013
07-25-2007, 01:07 PM
Law enforcement officers and training, great observation skills, and computers, plus the power to arrest based on probable cause. You have NONE of these assets. This is why we pay them the bucks, to take a clue and see where the trail takes them. And the best cluse are often provided by peeps like you seeing unusual circumstances and reporting them.
yeah but he has the thing that the cops don't. He cares what happens before the fact. Cops act after the fact from what I can tell.
K500 "Hello, there is someone scoping out my pad. I think they are going to rip me off"
cop "well let us know when he does"

ratso
07-25-2007, 01:12 PM
Playing self appointed cop is not so bright..at all. Call the PD and ask for the burglary detectives. Relate to them what you saw, and the license plate. They will keep the info, and perhaps cross reference that plate to other crimes. Be a good witness, not someone who is:
3. Get sued and loose everything you have, or will have, while trying to play cop.
4. Get a cop in deep trouble when they provide you the registration info theat takes you down the wrong path. It will all fall back on them for giving them the info.
Do the right thing.
...in a perfect world. I won't give my experiences here because I don't want this to be a cop bashing thread, and that's what it would sound like. Basically the system sucks and nowdays we are at the mercy of thugs and illegals.

ratso
07-25-2007, 01:13 PM
yeah but he has the thing that the cops don't. He cares what happens before the fact. Cops act after the fact from what I can tell.
K500 "Hello, there is someone scoping out my pad. I think they are going to rip me off"
cop "well let us know when he does"
Usually you need a murder or homicide first.;)

redneckcharlie
07-25-2007, 01:31 PM
Do the right thing.
No offense, but this advice and attitude is the major problem with things in this country. The advise of telling people to not get involved, and just call somebody is ridiculious! I have never seen a retroactive approach be as successful as a proactive approach. The last thing I would ever do, finding someone scoping my house, is call and wait for the cops. I wonder, would someone give that same type of advice for someone that is hurt and dieing? After all, an emt is much more equipped to deal with that situation than I am. Peace.:idea:

HavasuSelect
07-25-2007, 01:48 PM
No offense, but this advice and attitude is the major problem with things in this country. The advise of telling people to not get involved, and just call somebody is ridiculious! I have never seen a retroactive approach be as successful as a proactive approach. The last thing I would ever do, finding someone scoping my house, is call and wait for the cops. I wonder, would someone give that same type of advice for someone that is hurt and dieing? After all, an emt is much more equipped to deal with that situation than I am. Peace.:idea:
So after you caught him scoping your house what would you do? Take him in the backyard and shoot him? Now you're going away for life. There's no sense in that.
Believe it or not people L.E. are trained professionals. They know what they're doing. They do care about people (Not all, there's bad apples in every bunch).
Also if you live in a large city there's prob gonna be a few calls ahead of yours. In a perfect world cops would be there to take your report within minutes, but let's face it.....if we were in a perfect world we wouldn't need cops.
BoatPI and FinsFan gave excellent advice. Leave it to the pros who get paid to do this work...

redneckcharlie
07-25-2007, 02:51 PM
So after you caught him scoping your house what would you do? Take him in the backyard and shoot him? Now you're going away for life. There's no sense in that.
Believe it or not people L.E. are trained professionals. They know what they're doing. They do care about people (Not all, there's bad apples in every bunch).
Also if you live in a large city there's prob gonna be a few calls ahead of yours. In a perfect world cops would be there to take your report within minutes, but let's face it.....if we were in a perfect world we wouldn't need cops.
BoatPI and FinsFan gave excellent advice. Leave it to the pros who get paid to do this work...
I actually never said anything about pulling someone into the back yard and shooting them! The advise that was given is the standard no liability and risk kind. I'm not that person! Not one part of my post was faulting law enforcement in the least, just stated I wasn't going to wait for them. I do live in a bigger city, not by caly standards, but not small. I'm probably a little luckier than most, I've got a Swat officer across the street, and a Fed next store. The point of the whole post was to actually be more proactive, and not reactive. If you want to question my post, thats fine, just answer the last question that was part of the post. You can't have one without the other, because there is no difference.:rolleyes:

Racey
07-25-2007, 02:58 PM
Are you really gonna listen to this guy, he obviously hasn't learned anything here! :D :D :D :D
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35679&stc=1&d=1185404319

HavasuSelect
07-26-2007, 11:51 AM
I actually never said anything about pulling someone into the back yard and shooting them! The advise that was given is the standard no liability and risk kind. I'm not that person! Not one part of my post was faulting law enforcement in the least, just stated I wasn't going to wait for them. I do live in a bigger city, not by caly standards, but not small. I'm probably a little luckier than most, I've got a Swat officer across the street, and a Fed next store. The point of the whole post was to actually be more proactive, and not reactive. If you want to question my post, thats fine, just answer the last question that was part of the post. You can't have one without the other, because there is no difference.:rolleyes:
My response was for the entire board not just for you. Mainly at those saying they would take matters into their own hands. I should have made that a little more clear. I apologize.
I'm all for being proactive. Neighborhood watch is a great program. The thing that shouldn't happen is vigilantism.
As far as the example you gave about medical emergencies...... Definetely try and help as best you can. Call 911 first and get proper medical advice. IN a medical emergency they'll walk you through step by step of the proper procedures. How many times do you hear of somebody being moved after a car accident and as a result more damage is caused? I understand their intentions were good but in some cases it's better to leave it to the pros.
Bottom line of my post is get professional help first.

HavasuSelect
07-26-2007, 11:51 AM
Are you really gonna listen to this guy, he obviously hasn't learned anything here! :D :D :D :D
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35679&stc=1&d=1185404319
:D :D :D

quadracr
07-28-2007, 12:22 PM
I agree with RNC. The more we lay down the more power the thugs have. We should adopt laws that Texas has and make it legal to shoot someone on our property.

RitcheyRch
07-28-2007, 01:13 PM
I'm all for that.
I agree with RNC. The more we lay down the more power the thugs have. We should adopt laws that Texas has and make it legal to shoot someone on our property.

Doctor Feniks
07-28-2007, 09:01 PM
hey...if they are on your property committing a crime, you CAN shoot them. go for the knees...it kinda slows them down when they try to run away.

YeLLowBoaT
07-28-2007, 09:18 PM
hey...if they are on your property committing a crime, you CAN shoot them. go for the knees...it kinda slows them down when they try to run away.
Um no, that would get you arrested for ( at the very least) Assult with a deadly and maybe attempted murder. Not to mention that the guy you shot would now be living in your house and you would be on the street.
You can not use deadly force to protect your properity, on to protect others from harm.( IE in fear for your life or that of others)

Sleeper CP
07-28-2007, 10:02 PM
I was told by a Chief of Police and a Judge that if someone is crazy enough to break into your house with you and your family in it they will be crazy enough to kill you or your family. I was told to shoot first. Don't ask why are you here dont say you better leave, just pull the trigger and drop them. That is advice I will follow.
Sleeper CP

suckin&pumpin
07-28-2007, 11:31 PM
self defense all depends on where you live , I have in good friend in so cal that was being choked out by an intruder and managed to reach a steak knife and stab the intruder 17 times, He is now doing 7 years because they decided it was excessive force, but I used to live in Colorado where it is cut and dry, if it is posted that trespassers will be shot then you can shoot them,
Personally I will always do what I have to do to protect me and my family and if the cops are there cool if not well at least i am alive to prosecute.

HavasuSelect
07-28-2007, 11:32 PM
"The thing that shouldn't happen is vigilantism."
My fat as*. Maybe a lil more "vigilantism" would give pause to some of these a*holes that pray on others.
While I am totally pro law and order, don't try and shovel sh*t down my throat and tell me it's caviar.
With all due respect to our LEO, very seldom are the actions they take proactive in regards to the protection of private citizens. The greater majority of the time they show up after the fact and "write a report". They are very well trained in that, however after some fu(k has done whatever to myself and or any member of my family do you honestly think that I want to hear "gee, I'm so sorry sir, we'll get right on it".
I reccomend you, and everybody else go on a ride-a-long on a busy Sat night at a busy Police Dept. Like you said "turn the tables". Then you can get a different perspective and see what both sides are like.

HavasuSelect
07-28-2007, 11:37 PM
On another note, every situation is different. Sometimes use of deadly force is necessary. Sometimes it's not. For instance, the 16 year old stealing your car stereo prob wont constitute use of deadly force.
Now jump to that same 16 year old with a gun in your house at night.....

superdave013
07-29-2007, 05:46 AM
Well my wife got ripped off a few months ago. Her purse was stolen out of her car. I know I know, dumb to leave it there.
Well Rio, the ANAHEIM PD couldn't care less and if we wanted a report we had to drive down to the station to get it. So that's what we did. Second thing was cancle all the plastic. Low and behold just last month more charges showed up (on an already cancled card). You know the first thing the credit card company asked for? Yup, the police report that the ANAHEIM PD could not care less about doing.
I myself have 2 large dogs to help keep the people off my fence. I watched some dude peek over and he just about got bit.
Hey HavasuSelect, if you want to do some cop good why don't you run off all the illegal day labors out of my area? I get lots of cops coming over to my shop. That's the first thing I say and point out them gambling and throwing dice (with money in plain sight). Not once has any cop responded.
Some of those same day labors will make you let them help you load your Home Depot shit (like if you have plywood or the like) and they will make you give them 5 bucks for doing it. I see it and hear it all the time as I'm right across the street. Never see any cops protecting those people. Hell, Home depot could care less too but that's for another thread. (shop Lowes)
So in a nut shell I feel that I have to be able to take care of and defend myself. So if that's what it comes down to and HavasuSelect comes over to do his report and maybe hook me up well so be it.

superdave013
07-29-2007, 05:56 AM
I reccomend you, and everybody else go on a ride-a-long on a busy Sat night at a busy Police Dept. Like you said "turn the tables". Then you can get a different perspective and see what both sides are like.
I just looked at your myspace page and noticed you are only 22years old. Trust me, in another 22 years you will be more fed up with punks messing with your stuff, your family and your person then you are now. You'll also be a litte more fed up with "the system". I'll even go as far to say you might be sounding more "RIO" later on in life. How do you think he got that way?? He prolly started out just like you.

mmered8299
07-29-2007, 06:39 AM
George Phillips of Meridian, Mississippi was going up to bed when
>> >>hiswife told him that he'd left the light on in the garden shed,
>> >>which
>> >>shecould see from the bedroom window. George opened the back door
>> >>to go turn
>> >>off the light but saw thatthere were people in the shed stealing
>> >>things.
>> >>He phoned the police, who asked "Is someone in your house?" and
>> >>hesaid
>> >>"no". Then they said that all patrols were busy, and that he
>> >>shouldsimply
>> >>lock his door and an officer would be along when available. George
>> >>said,
>> >>"Okay," hung up, counted to 30, and phoned the police again.
>> >>"Hello, I
>> >>just called you a few seconds ago because there were peoplein my
>> >>shed
>> >>Well, you don't have to worry about them now cause I've justshot
>> >>them
>> >>all." Then he hung up. Within five minutes three police cars, an
>> >>Armed Response unit, and anambulance showed up at the Phillips'
>> >>residence
>> >>and caught the burglarsred-handed. One of the Policemen said to
>> >>George:
>> >>"I thought you said that you'dshot them!" George said, "I thought
>> >>you
>> >>said there was nobody available!" (True Story) I LOVE IT!!
>>

Sleeper CP
07-29-2007, 07:58 AM
17 times, He is now doing 7 years because they decided it was excessive force, .
Excessive force! Is there anything else to the story, like drugs were involved or something?
Sleeper CP

HavasuSelect
07-29-2007, 09:15 AM
HavasuSelect, believe me when I say NO DISRESPECT INTENDED! Been there, done that.
I'm certainly not critiquing your profession however you do have to admit that you are hampered by the system. For the most part, and our system is very corrupt. Professionally trained means going by the book -> the book written by a bunch of self-righteous, self serving, know-it-all, political whores. The same ones that want to prosecute me for defending myself are the same ones that are looking over your shoulder. The same ones that you are attempting to please in your quest for job advancement, monetary gain, etc. I never accused you of having to like it but this is the way it is. "Administration of Justice" is a joke as far as our system goes. If we really had an effective justice system then the as*hole you hooked-up last week wouldn't be walking the streets today. (you get my drift).
I totally agree. Very well put.
[/QUOTE]I agree with you that every situation is different and I do not advocate shooting the neighbor kid when his ball comes in my yard,,,that's not what I'm about. My philosophy is very simple: "I will not f*ck with anyone about anything that does not involve myself and I will tolerate no other person f*cking with me and mine." Easy huh? It's called respect for everyone else AND respect for myself.
Rio
Rio[/QUOTE]
It's funny you should use this example. Just a week or two ago we got a call from a kid who was shot with a BB gun by a neighbor. The kid was about 12-14. He was standing on top of his own carport verbally asking his neighbor for a ball that had ended up in the neighbors backyard. The neighbor didn't acknowledge the kid. As the kid was getting down the shitbag neighbor shot him in the shoulder.
Amazing.....

HavasuSelect
07-29-2007, 09:30 AM
I just looked at your myspace page and noticed you are only 22years old. Trust me, in another 22 years you will be more fed up with punks messing with your stuff, your family and your person then you are now. You'll also be a litte more fed up with "the system". I'll even go as far to say you might be sounding more "RIO" later on in life. How do you think he got that way?? He prolly started out just like you.
Just to clear something up. I'm not a Deputy yet. I'm a Dispatcher right now so I work very close with the Deps. I'll be the first to tell you I've got a lot to learn. There's still a lot of things I haven't experienced. I haven't had the experience with the "system" that many of you had. I'm just going by what I've learned so far. I don't mean any disrespect to anyone, just offering my opinion.

suckin&pumpin
07-29-2007, 10:35 AM
Excessive force! Is there anything else to the story, like drugs were involved or something?
Sleeper CP
no drugs, etc. he was a mechanic with the city of L.A. and a good family man but the intruder died

Sleeper CP
07-29-2007, 11:01 AM
no drugs, etc. he was a mechanic with the city of L.A. and a good family man but the intruder died
That sucks. Not that the POS died but that he is doing time for it. I guess he needed Robert Blakes attorney or OJ's.
Sleeper CP

V-DRIVE VIDEO
07-29-2007, 11:25 AM
Set up surveillance cameras around your property and a dog or 2 doesn't hurt. I also have motion sensors that I can monitor.
If someone tries to break into my home, I won't hesitate in protecting my family.

jimslade
07-29-2007, 12:45 PM
A cop friend once told me, get a big dog. Dogs don't have to show up for court.

Doctor Feniks
07-29-2007, 11:03 PM
i shoud say that my earlier post was a half-assed attempt at being funny. as a physician for the past 3 years, i've seen enough shooting victims to last a lifetime....and it's never pretty or amusing. i'm not an advocate for shooting anyone. however, i'm also not one to lay down and get trampled on either. i think in the end you have to think about your own personal safety first. personal belongings can usually be replaced but your life can't. however, if it comes down to you or him....you should be in a position to make sure it's him and not you. just my 2 cents (it's the vodka talking....)
have a good night.