PDA

View Full Version : Turbo 350, Turbo 400, or Powerglide?

corleone17
07-04-2002, 10:22 AM
What really is the best set-up and why?

Fiat48
07-04-2002, 12:33 PM
Well, here's my 2 cents worth (maybe overpriced). I race boats and cars. The powerglide can be made near bulletproof, is lightweight but you only have 2 gears (probably all you need). I run 190 MPH in 7 seconds with one in a Blown Alcohol motor in a 48 Fiat. This would be my choice for a boat. Low gear ratio of 1.76 to 1 is stock (most..some are 1.82) Turbo 350 or 400 gives you 3 gears..but with over 200 ratio on the low, cannot see how low gear would be of use. Guys used to run Turbo 400 because they were so strong, but I feel the powerglide can now be made just as strong..maybe stronger, with less weight and cheaper too. The boat I have is a Blown alcohol Flat and I don't use a transmission. But if I were going to shift it, I would build a powerglide.

coolchange
07-04-2002, 02:33 PM
Powerglide if you want r-n-d and low to putt the marina. 400 has a tighter 2nd to hi ratio and 350 has a tighter 1st to 2nd ratio but bigger jump to hi. 400 if you want to shift it, PG if you just want a trans. Nice thing about the 400 is electric kick down. hold the button down and then relase to hit hi gear. Nice if you have the kind of boat you don't want to be tryin to find gears in.

1quickjet
07-04-2002, 06:22 PM
A TH400 will rob approximately 30 more hp than a TH350, so I have heard from many a trans guy. However, a TH400 will handlle considerably more HP. Don't know what type of load a boat places on a trans compared to a car though. My .02

Backfire
07-05-2002, 06:25 AM
If your strategy is to gear and prop your boat for top end and have a lower gear for takeoff, the powerglide won't work because 1st gear is too low! If you want to shift it you'll use 2nd and 3rd of a 3 speed tranny. Which one? As stated, the t-400 eats more of your power but is MUCH stronger (and heavier!) Water isn't as harsh a running environment for the drivetrain as pavement is except for the hopping and re-entry. I've used t-350's on 2 boats with mild big-blocks and 22% overdrive without problems. With bigger horsepower and overdrive numbers, I'd choose the t-400

V-Drive Tom
07-05-2002, 06:45 AM
FIAT48, Because it seems that there is good after market parts and technology for the powerglide, the only thing left undesirable is the split between 1st and 2nd. How much does a guy end up spending for a shortened, trick one? How tight can you make the split? Finally, what trans builder do YOU recommend? TOM..

SK48
07-05-2002, 05:56 PM
Power glides have a serious lubrication problem in boats. They sit at an angle, and do not get properly lubricated. I don't know what the fix is, but I remember years ago at Alpha Marine in Temple City, Ca. they ate up several powerglides. They learned how to run an external oil line to some part of the transmission. Sorry I don't know the procedure, and they retired a few years ago.

blownschiada
07-07-2002, 04:19 PM
I ran a "tricked out powerglide" short shaft with all TCI parts and it granaded the first trip out.I am running a turbo 400 now and it is bullet proof.Shifting at 7000 from second to drive is neck wrenching! Good luck

Fiat48
07-08-2002, 08:27 PM
Vdrive Tom:
I highly recommend Mikes transmssions in Lancaster, California for performance transmission work. I build my own glides now, but I must admit I copied the first one from his work. I must agree there is no good way to get the needed gear ratio split for a boat that I can think of. Mike has run 6 seconds at over 200 with a Powerglide in a dragster and has done so for many years. Now I see there are aftermarket cases, planetary sets and Vasco input and output shafts for powerglides. I am pushing 190 in the drag car with the stock planetary 1.76 gears, although I am afraid I will reach their limit soon. But for a boat that just wanted a reverse, forward and a neutral, I can't see why the powerglide would not work. Don't know about the lubrication problem mentioned.

spectras only
07-08-2002, 11:25 PM
Fiat48, you wouldn't happen to run 190 MPH in a Topolino ? My buddy has a 29 Balilla in the old country ,but way to nice to cut it up to make a hotrod out of it.

sgdiv7
07-09-2002, 06:28 AM
I have had a powerglide in my flattie for two years now with out a single problem and I could see a oiling problem if you have the back of the transmission pointed upward or level because the output shaft bushing gets lubed by the governor. when you make it a manual shift you eliminate that but if you use the TCI short shaft kit they use the governor fluid passage to lube the bearing for the drive shaft yoke which runs past the rear output shaft bushing and lubes it.
does any one know how much a lenco set up would be, two speed with a reverser?

69 Elim
07-09-2002, 06:54 AM
I vote for the Powerglide for flatbottoms. I have a builtproff one for my blower motor and a rebuilt, heavy duty one for my ski flat. Never ever had problems with them. 1st gear for around the marina, 2nd gear for driving. Neutral and reverse is real nice. would never go back to an old in/out box. maybe in a daycruiser using a T400 to be able to shift it, but in a flat, really no reason.

Fiat48
07-09-2002, 06:49 PM
Spectras Only: Yes, the Fiat is a Topolino "Mob Style" stretched. 189.90 mph, 190 is avoiding me.
sgdiv7: I have seen Lenco's with reverser's for $2000 to $2500. But then the certified can, clutch and all that runs up the bill quickly. I cannot afford. Check here for used Lenco's, clutches, cans, etc. http://nitronic.com/classifieds/

bkegan
07-18-2002, 01:36 PM
I vote for PowerGlide all the way! I have a Trans Specialties modified p-glide with a short ouput shaft behind my 600 h.p. blown dart sbc in a 1963 mandella flat. I am running it in it's second season with NO problems whatsoever!
P.S. I use a Hurst 1/4 stick shifter and a TCI pump drive with no torque converter.

HM
07-18-2002, 07:34 PM
I have been running a 2 spd Powerglide in my '72 Mandella for 12 years without a problem. I run a 750 HP huffer mouse and have given it a workout. Last year I had Powerglide checked out while the mouse was in for the 6 million dollar rebuild, and the guys at Art Carr thought it looked like new. I do run an oil from Lubrication Engineers, which I think has helped. The only draw back of the 2 spd Powerglide is that Neutral is hydraulic, meaning it spins when there is not much resistance, like a prop in water, and so it still moves forward in neutral. :D

Monkey Bung
07-20-2002, 07:24 AM
I had a polished glide in my flat with an external oil cooler. Worked great,but I never shifted just stayed in drive.

Thunderbutt
07-20-2002, 08:58 AM
I have a 400 and it creeps forward in neutral too, so I use park to stand still. Where do you buy the oil. Is it classified as transmission fluid or oil. HolyMoly:
I have been running a 2 spd Powerglide in my '72 Mandella for 12 years without a problem. I run a 750 HP huffer mouse and have given it a workout. Last year I had Powerglide checked out while the mouse was in for the 6 million dollar rebuild, and the guys at Art Carr thought it looked like new. I do run an oil from Lubrication Engineers, which I think has helped. The only draw back of the 2 spd Powerglide is that Neutral is hydraulic, meaning it spins when there is not much resistance, like a prop in water, and so it still moves forward in neutral. :D

HM
07-20-2002, 10:52 AM
I get it from Wilkes Marine in Santa Ana, CA. 714-540-8908. I believe it is classified as an Allison C 4 approved Power Fluid. I use their 90W gear oil for the V-Drive and the same results - gears look new after 12 years of use and very very little shavings, which were probably due to break-in as the gears were new when I put it together.
I would use park in my powerglide, but Art Carr removed it in the original marine conversion.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Thunderbutt:
[QB]I have a 400 and it creeps forward in neutral too, so I use park to stand still. Where do you buy the oil. Is it classified as transmission fluid or oil. [QUOTE]Originally posted by
[ July 20, 2002, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: HolyMoly ]

DansBlown73Nordic
07-20-2002, 03:06 PM
I use my park in my Turbo-400. That way I don't need a anchor!!!!!!!! wink eek! lol

DansBlown73Nordic
07-20-2002, 03:06 PM
I use my park in my Turbo-400. That way I don't need a anchor!!!!!!!! wink eek! lol

DansBlown73Nordic
07-20-2002, 03:08 PM
Hmmm must be pushing the button to much? :confused:

bkegan
08-16-2002, 05:42 AM
I've recently discovered that low gear launches work very well in my ride!
6000 rpm out of the hole and then bang second!!! BIG FUN!