PDA

View Full Version : HVAC Guys

Huckleberry
07-24-2007, 10:12 AM
My 5-ton Ac unit had the compressor go belly up yesterday. The repairman said it will cost about the same to replace the compressor, as it would if I could find a new sear 10 unit, but this way I'd have a new unit outside. ($1900-2500) He said they cannot put a new sear 13 unit on the old sear 10 part of the system that is is my attic as they are not compatible. Is this true? If so, does anyone have a line on a 5-ton, sear 10 unit? I guess they are hard to come by these days. I appreciate any help you guys can provide!

Insurance God
07-24-2007, 10:29 AM
I sent you a PM w/ the info of a non-board member. Go w/ Wheres my Keys as your 1st option. Board members taking care of each other is the way to go IMO.

Boatcop
07-24-2007, 11:27 AM
My 5-ton Ac unit had the compressor go belly up yesterday. The repairman said it will cost about the same to replace the compressor, as it would if I could find a new sear 10 unit, but this way I'd have a new unit outside. ($1900-2500) He said they cannot put a new sear 13 unit on the old sear 10 part of the system that is is my attic as they are not compatible. Is this true? If so, does anyone have a line on a 5-ton, sear 10 unit? I guess they are hard to come by these days. I appreciate any help you guys can provide!
Did you have any kind of Electrical power surge or outage?
If so, the repair/replacement could be covered by Homeowners Insurance.
A brown out fried the compressor on mine several years ago. The Ins. Company told me to get it replaced ASAP and send them the bill.

Huckleberry
07-24-2007, 02:08 PM
Dean - Left a message on your voicemail at work.
Shawn - Got your PM. Thanks for the lead.
B/C - So Cal Edison has been working on the power in our neighborhood for a while. I'm not aware of any surges, but how could I prove it if there were any? I'd love to have the insurance company pick up the tab onb this one if I could make it happen.

rsoscia
07-24-2007, 05:26 PM
When its hot out like its been the last couple of weeks the 13 seer will work with the old 10 seer furnace and coil. Its when its not so hot out that the 13 seer doens't work so well with the 10 seer furnace and coil. Compessors are comming back for warrenty. You could put a new compressor in the old unit if its in good shape. I've done a lot of work for poeple on the boards... Let me know if ya need help. Rob

BiggusJimbus
07-24-2007, 05:34 PM
I have had good success using Orange County AC down your way. They have been honest and RIGHT on the calls I've used them for. I've been using them for commercial, but they've been quality.

TBONE1904
07-24-2007, 05:59 PM
When its hot out like its been the last couple of weeks the 13 seer will work with the old 10 seer furnace and coil. Its when its not so hot out that the 13 seer doens't work so well with the 10 seer furnace and coil. Compessors are comming back for warrenty. You could put a new compressor in the old unit if its in good shape. I've done a lot of work for poeple on the boards... Let me know if ya need help. Rob
Explain to me how the weather has anything to do with a 13 seer condensing unit working with a 10 seer fan coil.

westair
07-24-2007, 06:18 PM
Replace the outside condensing unit and the indoor cooling coil with 13 seer
equipment, it may cost a just little more but worth it. I doubt that any 10
seer units are still around but I will check also.
BTW that compressor change out seems a little high unless there are other
problems.

LLGirl
07-24-2007, 06:33 PM
You won't get 13 seer out of a condenser feeding a non txv coil. It will still work, just won't get the rated efficiency. Spend the money on a matching coil.
mrll

rsoscia
07-24-2007, 06:53 PM
Explain to me how the weather has anything to do with a 13 seer condensing unit working with a 10 seer fan coil.
Freon reacts to presure / temperature... the hotter it is outside the higer your suction temp/ pressure will be... when its cooler outside your taking a chance of slugging your compressor.

ChumpChange
07-24-2007, 07:28 PM
Any guys here local to La Verne? Complete replacement from compressor to ducts.

blown65
07-24-2007, 08:39 PM
Replace the outside condensing unit and the indoor cooling coil with 13 seer
equipment, it may cost a just little more but worth it. I doubt that any 10
seer units are still around but I will check also.
BTW that compressor change out seems a little high unless there are other
problems.
We have about 300+ 10seer units still in stock. LOL

TBONE1904
07-24-2007, 10:19 PM
Freon reacts to presure / temperature... the hotter it is outside the higer your suction temp/ pressure will be... when its cooler outside your taking a chance of slugging your compressor.
It doesn't sound like you know what seer means.

rsoscia
07-25-2007, 06:08 AM
It doesn't sound like you know what seer means.
I think i do T-bone (seasonal energy efficiency rating) I' been doing A/C work longer then you've been alive... Get a life T-bone...you don't sound like a T-bone

ChumpChange
07-25-2007, 06:17 AM
I think i do T-bone (seasonal energy efficiency rating) I' been doing A/C work longer then you've been alive... Get a life T-bone...you don't sound like a T-bone
What A/C work do you do? You're right around the corner.

TBONE1904
07-25-2007, 07:40 AM
.....once again you have know clue how SEER is calculated if you speak of the outside temperture. Its a ratio of energy out (cooling in btuh) divided by energy in (work in kw). Its ok it's always amusing to hear another person so confident when they are completely wrong!

Inland Air Balance
07-25-2007, 07:59 AM
Understanding Efficiency Ratings
What is a SEER rating?
The minimum energy efficiency level for central air conditioning systems made and sold in the United States is regulated by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE). The efficiency level of a central air conditioner is determined by its "seasonal energy efficiency ratio" (SEER). This SEER rating is technically defined as the cooling output provided by the unit during its normal annual usage period divided by its total energy consumption. More simply, the SEER rating is similar to the miles-per-gallon rating for automobiles. The more energy efficient the air conditioning equipment is, the higher the SEER rating - because less electricity is needed to cool your home.
What is the minimum SEER standard today?
Since 1992, the minimum efficiency standard for central air conditioners and heat pumps has been set at 10 SEER. That's about to change. Beginning in January 2006, the minimum efficiency level for all new central air conditioners manufactured must be at least 13 SEER.
What does the 13 SEER standard mean for homeowners?
The 13 SEER regulation does not affect a homeowner's current air conditioner. But the 13 SEER transition will affect homeowners and builders looking to purchase a new central air conditioner this year or next in several ways, including:
Farewell to 10 to 12 SEER systems: Beginning January 23, 2006, central air conditioners rated at 10 to 12 SEER will no longer be manufactured. However, 10 and 12 SEER systems can continue to be sold and installed until inventory of these products is exhausted.
Lower operating costs: An air conditioner rated at 13 SEER uses 30 percent less electricity than a 10 SEER system.
More advanced technology: New central air conditioners use more advanced technology and have more features to enhance efficiency, comfort, reliability and convenience.
Bigger systems: Air conditioners usually get larger in size as the SEER rating is increased. That's because to achieve a higher efficiency, manufacturers need to install more coil (i.e. copper or aluminum tubing) to more efficiently transfer heat.
Expect to pay more: In general, the higher the SEER rating, the more it will cost to purchase a new air conditioner. Higher efficiency systems tend to be larger and use more materials like steel, aluminum and copper; they are also more costly to manufacture, transport and install.
http://www.ari.org/policy/priority_issues/seer13/
Source---Air conditioning and Refrigeration Institute

westair
07-25-2007, 08:19 AM
We have about 300+ 10seer units still in stock. LOL
Checked on available 10 seer equipment (208V 1 Ph R-22) with my reps today,
NOTHING. What type of equipment are you guys sitting on up there?

Trailer Park Casanova
07-25-2007, 09:57 AM
Did you have any kind of Electrical power surge or outage?
If so, the repair/replacement could be covered by Homeowners Insurance.
A brown out fried the compressor on mine several years ago. The Ins. Company told me to get it replaced ASAP and send them the bill.
Change out the whole system, and see if you can get your homeowners ins to cover it.
Changing a compressor is just about becoming obsolete. Especially if the Condensing unit is over 7 years old.
Check with Keyes for your correct price.

blown65
07-25-2007, 11:09 AM
Checked on available 10 seer equipment (208V 1 Ph R-22) with my reps today,
NOTHING. What type of equipment are you guys sitting on up there?
We are a Rheem dealer and when this all hit we ordered about 800 pieces of equipment. Sold most of it, but still got quite a bit left. At 3 or so change-outs a day that will end soon.
Our place was STUFFED with equipment. I doubt it will ever be like that again. heh

rsoscia
07-25-2007, 01:20 PM
.....once again you have know clue how SEER is calculated if you speak of the outside temperture. Its a ratio of energy out (cooling in btuh) divided by energy in (work in kw). Its ok it's always amusing to hear another person so confident when they are completely wrong!
How about paying the going rate of $80 per hour and i'll explain it better to you

Dezertrider
07-25-2007, 05:15 PM
Ok all you F***Tards. How do you have time to chat online about fixing AC's?????????? Looks like your slow??? We have many new open positions LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
With the new SEER ratings you need to match the outdoor unit with the indoor to ensure long compressor life. I could throw in a 13 SEER on a old coil knowing that you may only run your residential unit for maybe 45 to 70 days a year. By the time it ruins your compressor the warranty will be over and I will sell you a new indoor unit next year along with a new compressor.
You can get anyone to hack in something to work for now but you never know how long it will work.
I wish I had time to go into Super Heat, Sub Cooling, Temperature split Condensing over ambient Ect on how to check a unit operation but I need to rest up for another 60days of working to much
BTW if you know how to diagnose units using the above I have a job for you at 30+ an hour!!!!

slowinhavasu
07-25-2007, 05:47 PM
Ok all you F***Tards. How do you have time to chat online about fixing AC's?????????? Looks like your slow??? We have many new open positions LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
With the new SEER ratings you need to match the outdoor unit with the indoor to ensure long compressor life. I could throw in a 13 SEER on a old coil knowing that you may only run your residential unit for maybe 45 to 70 days a year. By the time it ruins your compressor the warranty will be over and I will sell you a new indoor unit next year along with a new compressor.
You can get anyone to hack in something to work for now but you never know how long it will work.
I wish I had time to go into Super Heat, Sub Cooling, Temperature split Condensing over ambient Ect on how to check a unit operation but I need to rest up for another 60days of working to much
BTW if you know how to diagnose units using the above I have a job for you at 30+ an hour!!!!
Well said,but I aint moving back to Cal.
I still remember the old guy telling me "beer can cold" ....lol

River Lynchmob
07-26-2007, 08:09 AM
I think some of your humor went unnoticed there Dez :D

acatitude
07-26-2007, 08:14 AM
I just had a quote on a new a/c unit 10k for a 14 seer 3 ton traine kls1600 model includes new thermostat taking out and putting new one on roof and checking all duct work... its my 1st quote is this guy way outa wack??? its about a 1500 sg ft house

River Lynchmob
07-26-2007, 08:53 AM
I just had a quote on a new a/c unit 10k for a 14 seer 3 ton traine kls1600 model includes new thermostat taking out and putting new one on roof and checking all duct work... its my 1st quote is this guy way outa wack??? its about a 1500 sg ft house
Seems a bit high to me just for a unit change out but I don't do any residental hopefully one of the residential guys can help you out.

blown65
07-26-2007, 10:40 AM
That just the OD or is it a package unit on the roof? Still seems high either way.

HotRod82
07-26-2007, 11:14 AM
Actually 10K is about right for "JULY PRICING".....a little high for "december pricing" lol.

acatitude
07-26-2007, 11:17 AM
That just the OD or is it a package unit on the roof? Still seems high either way.
have no idea what OD means sorry. its a package unit I think, heat pump, house is all electric if that helps and yes thats putting on roof and removing and the other stuff I mentioned..the quote was around 2k labor and 8k for the unit. I thought it was a little high also and not knowing a/c units didnt know if i was being oversold or what.. thanks .
Is there a ballpark price I should look for and a better or not better type of unit? this house has been a rental for many years. Im currently back in it fixing it up and will sell within 5 years.. thanks for any help or suggestions ..
well maybe ill wait till october lol.. dont understand why they cost more now, same difference in winter, need heat

blown65
07-26-2007, 11:49 AM
have no idea what OD means sorry. its a package unit I think, heat pump, house is all electric if that helps and yes thats putting on roof and removing and the other stuff I mentioned..the quote was around 2k labor and 8k for the unit. I thought it was a little high also and not knowing a/c units didnt know if i was being oversold or what.. thanks .
Is there a ballpark price I should look for and a better or not better type of unit? this house has been a rental for many years. Im currently back in it fixing it up and will sell within 5 years.. thanks for any help or suggestions ..
well maybe ill wait till october lol.. dont understand why they cost more now, same difference in winter, need heat
Well, OD is outdoor unit. Most the stuff we do here is split systems so you have an indoor unit and also an outdoor. I know down there most are rooftop package units.
As for July pricing, 10k is still steep for a quick package unit change out. Unless there is some serious matching issues and extensive metal work would be needed 2k labor is part of the problem. lol.
Just get a few bids, Trane equipment is good, so is Rheem. We were a GE/Trane dealer for many yrs till we had a parting of ways with the local dist. Went to Rheem and have been very happy with that equipment also. Just be careful with some of the lower end equipment, if you wish PM your Fax number if you have one and I can fax you a nice paper on quite a few of the commonly sold brands.