PDA

View Full Version : Power to Weight ???

76miller
07-24-2007, 12:25 PM
Has anyone pulled there same motor and pump from a older,heavier, semi v hull (full interior,dual gas tanks) and put in a lighter gullwing set up ?? If so, how much of a mph gain did you see, and how much weight do you think you shaved ??

pw_Tony
07-24-2007, 12:35 PM
Has anyone pulled there same motor and pump from a older,heavier, semi v hull (full interior,dual gas tanks) and put in a lighter gullwing set up ?? If so, how much of a mph gain did you see, and how much weight do you think you shaved ??
Someone's speculating.....:idea:
whatcha got up your sleeve?

Dogballs
07-24-2007, 12:48 PM
From what I know (very little), I would guess that there would be at least a 10mph increase in speed but there are so many variables to consider. I ran a 19' Rogers and dumped the same motor in a 19'CP and it was approx 10mph off the trailer.

76miller
07-24-2007, 12:51 PM
Ha ha! Ya I need to stop cause it could get real expensive !! Thinking about a.......... gullwing??? A stroker motor might be a better idea, but just figured I'd get some opinions.

76miller
07-24-2007, 12:58 PM
From what I know (very little), I would guess that there would be at least a 10mph increase in speed but there are so many variables to consider. I ran a 19' Rogers and dumped the same motor in a 19'CP and it was approx 10mph off the trailer.
So, its calculating out to $10k for 10mph ! Ouch! Hey, what did you do with that Rogers?My buddy is trying to find one right now. Those gullwings sure do look cool though. So after the new boat feeling went away which one did you enjoy driving more ??? Did that Rogers have that DNE monster in it ?

Dogballs
07-24-2007, 01:12 PM
So, its calculating out to $10k for 10mph ! Ouch! Hey, what did you do with that Rogers?My buddy is trying to find one right now. Those gullwings sure do look cool though. So after the new boat feeling went away which one did you enjoy driving more ??? Did that Rogers have that DNE monster in it ?
I sold the Rogers to a friend who runs it out of Willow Valley. The Rogers was a classic and I think its hard to beat the looks of the capped hull. However there is no comparison to the ride quality of a gullwing or tunnel hull. The DNE motor was built from the original 572 I had in the Rogers and that motor would have been a handful in the Rogers.

FuelInMyVeins82
07-24-2007, 01:18 PM
I sold the Rogers to a friend who runs it out of Willow Valley. The Rogers was a classic and I think its hard to beat the looks of the capped hull. However there is no comparison to the ride quality of a gullwing or tunnel hull. The DNE motor was built from the original 572 I had in the Rogers and that motor would have been a handful in the Rogers.
Hey big motors work just fine in rogers. :D

IMPATIENT 1
07-24-2007, 01:21 PM
i haven't done a swap like you mentioned but i have own some heavy jets(taylor sc, taylor sj) and my sj weighed in at @820lbs, while my condor tx-19 weighs @400lbs. i'm sure a 600hp mill would push my tx 10-12mph faster than the same set-up in my sj.

76miller
07-24-2007, 01:30 PM
Hey Fuel, how many cubic inches is in that beauty ??

Dogballs
07-24-2007, 01:34 PM
Whats up,
The Rogers hulls are bad ass but I prefer the ride of the gullwing. Both Fuel and RCB have the baddest Rogers on the water period.... and routinely spank most of the gullwings out there.
76 Miller, your boat looks real nice why don't you try and lighten her up and pick up a little blue bottle for her and call it good.
Balls

76miller
07-24-2007, 01:36 PM
Ya, that capped hull look is pretty cool, but I think it would make me paranoid trying to dock up or float with drunk friends ! I have yet to take a ride in a gullwing, its on my to-do-list this season. I was talking to Dave, and he brought up your motor...I think that thing would be a handful in any boat !

76miller
07-24-2007, 01:44 PM
Balls- Thanks, I'm not sure what I could do to lighten up ? I could run smaller fuel tanks? How much do you think the false floor,and carpet weigh ? I don't have cast heads. Maybe the bottle is the answer!

Dogballs
07-24-2007, 02:18 PM
Balls- Thanks, I'm not sure what I could do to lighten up ? I could run smaller fuel tanks? How much do you think the false floor,and carpet weigh ? I don't have cast heads. Maybe the bottle is the answer!
Full interior, carpet and a false floor weigh quite a bit, but if I were you I would just enjoy the boat for the clean classic river boat that it is.

Sleeper CP
07-24-2007, 02:23 PM
76 Miller:
Nos is always a good option. But get those heads of yours ported and the intake done and the Nos would be great.
I'm sure you know this but, the Miller vs Gullwing thing is more than a weight thing, but design and efficiency the semi- air entrapment hull just beats the hell out of a deep Vee on speed.
Sleeper CP

pw_Tony
07-24-2007, 02:35 PM
After a while doesn't it come out to about $100 per MPH?

76miller
07-24-2007, 02:36 PM
76 Miller:
Nos is always a good option. But get those heads of yours ported and the intake done and the Nos would be great.
I'm sure you know this but, the Miller vs Gullwing thing is more than a weight thing, but design and efficiency the semi- air entrapment hull just beats the hell out of a deep Vee on speed.
Sleeper CP
Ya, I plan on doing those engine upgrades for sure, probably winter time though. The hull change is just a thought, because of the reasons you stated and more ! My wheels are just spinning right know.

76miller
07-24-2007, 02:39 PM
The only thing that cheap would be refilling your NOS bottles !

Sleeper CP
07-24-2007, 02:49 PM
Some where around 92-95 mph the number is $1,000.00 per MPH. Been there done that:) :)
Sleeper CP

LGCDEVIL
07-24-2007, 02:55 PM
Somewhere around 90-100 mph that number increases exponentially:idea: Big word, no?
Damn it. Took me 6 min. to spell exponentially.

Cs19
07-24-2007, 06:57 PM
Wayne, you should be able to run hard in the boat you've got but you wont get huge numbers out of it unless you really bust your ass on the set up. If you want to get after it and go fast Id be looking at something else like a gullwing or some sort of tunnell boat. There are all kinds of tunnells available right now, a placecraft would be cool...
Im trying to convince Fuel to sell that Rogers and get into a better hull, I think hes leaving alot on the table with the Rogers and those are pretty good hulls to begin with.. I agree with balls on the 10 MPH deal but the ET/quickness is where you will really pick up.

76miller
07-25-2007, 07:50 AM
Wayne, you should be able to run hard in the boat you've got but you wont get huge numbers out of it unless you really bust your ass on the set up. If you want to get after it and go fast Id be looking at something else like a gullwing or some sort of tunnell boat. There are all kinds of tunnells available right now, a placecraft would be cool...
Im trying to convince Fuel to sell that Rogers and get into a better hull, I think hes leaving alot on the table with the Rogers and those are pretty good hulls to begin with.. I agree with balls on the 10 MPH deal but the ET/quickness is where you will really pick up.
Whats up Chris, I'm happy with this hull for the most part, I'm just having a hard time finding the right set up (shoe/ride and diverter placement) . All the testing has been done with gps only(also 120 degrees and Parker water) and I have yet to see video, so I'm not sure if I'm running dry enough. I don't think that I am. Not really sure what my next move should be? More ride plate down angle ? More shim under shoe ? Or just keep working diverter ? Your right when you say working your ass off ! A different hull is in the future for sure, but I know I'm leaving 5-7 mph on the table right know and its making me jump with thoughts of a lighter, faster hull. You know how it is, nothings ever good enough !

Dogballs
07-25-2007, 08:27 AM
76 Miller,
Don't chase your tail. With two hulls and 4 engine builds over the last 10 years I have finally come to realize that I enjoy going to the river and driving my boat all day more than I do phucking with it. The boat will never be fast enough and the end result is a boat thats only fun at the track. Just my .01
Balls

76miller
07-25-2007, 09:04 AM
76 Miller,
Don't chase your tail. With two hulls and 4 engine builds over the last 10 years I have finally come to realize that I enjoy going to the river and driving my boat all day more than I do phucking with it. The boat will never be fast enough and the end result is a boat thats only fun at the track. Just my .01
Balls
Balls
Ya, I hear ya. I kinda have tunnel vision right now...trying to get to a certain mph mark. I'm trying to find the best of both worlds with speed, and overall river use. I'd much rather drive my boat all day, then win every race. (I think?) But your right I don't think it will ever be fast enough...with this hull. I think that once I get my set up dialed I'll just drive it and enjoy, but I still have alot to learn.

76miller
07-25-2007, 11:34 AM
I think I saw your '76 at Jack's when he was working on my '75. How many ponies and how fast.... if you don't mind me asking.
Mine's almost ready & I'm dyin' to see how it runs.
Was your Miller blue, and getting a rail kit,and some other upgrades ??

FuelInMyVeins82
07-25-2007, 01:05 PM
540 inches.

76miller
07-25-2007, 01:16 PM
540 inches.
Nice! That explains it.

RCB19
07-26-2007, 08:32 AM
Wayne you will get it dialed. Make those changes like we talked about and you should see improvement. Call me on the celly if you have any questions.

76miller
07-26-2007, 08:46 AM
Wayne you will get it dialed. Make those changes like we talked about and you should see improvement. Call me on the celly if you have any questions.
Ross, I took some measurements last night and my shoes biting edge was above the keel, so I think I will shim it down and see what happens. Thanks again for all the info.

FuelInMyVeins82
07-26-2007, 12:11 PM
Ross, I took some measurements last night and my shoes biting edge was above the keel, so I think I will shim it down and see what happens. Thanks again for all the info.
Just be prepared the boat may shut down a little differently

Sleeper CP
07-26-2007, 02:35 PM
So you're going to move it down how far? Even with the keel or below the keel?
Sleeper CP

76miller
08-05-2007, 03:37 AM
So you're going to move it down how far? Even with the keel or below the keel?
Sleeper CP
Sorry, been out of town for awhile. I'm going to bring it even with keel, make a few video/gps passes and see if it helps. I have enough shims to go below but like Fuel mentioned, it might get a little scary on shut down. I have about 10-12 passes planned out with changes on all of them....just need to get to the lake or river ! I'll keep you posted