PDA

View Full Version : Stringers

Dimarco Kid
02-18-2006, 06:11 PM
Hey guys...new stringers going in a lightweight layup Southwind. No problem with the project itself, but have a question. Got some perfect clear pine here for the project. What types of wood do you guys recommend or use. Second...a yacht builder said he donate CORE-CELL material he uses for stringers in his yachts. Super light weight, super rigid once glassed in. Never heard of performance boats using it. All the local yacht companys use it, it expensive, I know that! It's free, will it work?

Dimarco Kid
02-20-2006, 05:17 PM
Thanks for that info...every little bit helps. I've seen that companies like HTM are using composite stringers. Just don't know what kind...guess I should just write them.
Thanks man.

BrendellaJet
02-20-2006, 08:20 PM
I've heard phillipean mahogany recommended numerous times for this job.

Dimarco Kid
02-20-2006, 08:41 PM
I've heard phillipean mahogany recommended numerous times for this job.
Where's an outlet for that stuff? Anyone know? I hate to think I'd put foreign in my boat!!! LOL

BrendellaJet
02-20-2006, 09:50 PM
Need to find a local hardwood supplier.

HOSS
02-21-2006, 05:49 AM
If you could get balsa wood that would be fine too. Marine wood is not at all necessary. Very heavy and high priced. Treated not needed either. Once its glasses in correctly it can never rot for it is sealed.

wsuwrhr
02-21-2006, 08:11 AM
PM Forggystyle here on the boards.
I know he uses the corecell material.
Brian

BrendellaJet
02-21-2006, 08:34 AM
If you could get balsa wood that would be fine too. Marine wood is not at all necessary. Very heavy and high priced. Treated not needed either. Once its glasses in correctly it can never rot for it is sealed.
Balsa for a stringer repair? What are you smokin?

Dimarco Kid
02-21-2006, 09:22 AM
PM Forggystyle here on the boards.
I know he uses the corecell material.
Brian
Thanks bro...

HavasuDreamin'
02-22-2006, 05:55 AM
I know Rapid Craft used a composite called Klegacell. That material was tough as nails and extremely light. Best of luck. HD

msmeads1
02-22-2006, 02:09 PM
2 x 6 verticle grain doug fur is what the stringers are made out of.
You can get this at any good lumber yard. May have to order but no big deal.

snake321
05-25-2006, 06:20 PM
I just got a price today of $259 for 28 board feet of that. There's got to be something better.

fkeys
05-25-2006, 07:08 PM
The stringers I cut out my boat were redwood. There was little wood/fiberglass bond left, but the wood held up well over their 28 years life.

jimslade
05-26-2006, 04:47 AM
I will never use wood again. I just finished doing a transom and stringers using nidacore. You can use core cell it will work. If your going to use it, I can give you details on layup as well as pics. It is a little more complicated than using wood but it will never rot out NEVER!

snake321
05-26-2006, 05:46 AM
I just got off the phone with nida core. The only thing I don't like is that the sheets come in 4' x 7'. I have 14' stringers which means that there will be a joint. I'm not sure that I'm liking that...

BowTieOmega
05-26-2006, 06:22 AM
Kiln Dried Philppine Mahogany is what was generally used prior to the day of composite stringers as far as quality boats go. The trees this wood originates from grow in the rain forests of the Philippines and is considered as one of the most naturally water resistant wood in the world . I did alot of research before I did my stringers. It is a little pricey but from what I hear, well worth the dollars. No headaches like the ones obviously associated with porous woods like fir. Also much less heavy then fir and pine. Also very easy to work with. Good luck

jimslade
05-26-2006, 10:21 AM
The nidacore panels are cut and bonded together. What gives you the strength is not the core material but the separation of the layers of glass. When you separate the glass layers the strength comes from the stress on the outer layers. One layer is in compression and the other is in elongation. You should use 2 to 3 layers of 1810 glass to cover the core material. Wherever you put a bolt the core must be hollowed out and I personally use fiberglass filler to fill in. Preplanning is the key to using core materials. The weight savings is significant and the work will outlive most of us. The sound absorbsion with nidacore is second to none. Here's a pic of some of the work in progress. Transom 2 layers of 3/4 inch nidacore. Stringer on right 2 layers of 3/4 inch, not completed. , left stringer pressure treated wood before I changed my mind and never wanted wood below the water line again! I'm trying to post pics

snake321
05-26-2006, 04:58 PM
come on Jim , you can do it.
I gotta see those pics..

GAWnCA
10-04-2007, 06:06 AM
The Photo:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14022&d=1148758491
Sure wish this thread would have stayed active. I'm going to be replacing my stringers and some of the other wood. I would have liked to hear the results of using this material after a year and a half.

GAWnCA
10-04-2007, 09:53 AM
If I was going to build a new boat I'd use composites, no doubt. Doug fir and philipine mahogany are heavy compared to aviation spuce...think about it, Spruce goose? Light and strong.
Don't use kiln dried, softens the wood.
So where do you buy the composites and spruce in the lengths needed?

H2oracer
10-04-2007, 01:41 PM
I personaly would not use spruce. It is more prone to rot than doug fir. It may be lighter and stronger but if you get any water intrusion at all you will regret useing it. From what I have seen in most boats with wood stringers they have used doug fir. Spruce is not cheap, but if you decide to use it I do have a friend that sells it. No matter what you use for the stringers make sure you use an epoxy resin for the install. Good luck on your project.

Sangster
10-08-2007, 02:30 PM
You can get all your composite material at WWW.tapplastics.com they are in Sacrqamento off HYW.99 on Florin rd...

GAWnCA
10-09-2007, 06:02 AM
You can get all your composite material at WWW.tapplastics.com they are in Sacrqamento off HYW.99 on Florin rd...
How did I know you were going to say that? :) Last time I was in there, though, the people acted like I was a bother and really weren't too interested in helping. I'll give it a shot again, just because they are so close to me, maybe 5 miles away.
What is the best way to cut out full length stringers for total replacement?
Thanks,
Greg

Sangster
10-09-2007, 11:49 AM
How did I know you were going to say that? :) Last time I was in there, though, the people acted like I was a bother and really weren't too interested in helping. I'll give it a shot again, just because they are so close to me, maybe 5 miles away.
What is the best way to cut out full length stringers for total replacement?
Thanks,
Greg
Yup..Sometimes ya' gotta let them know your even there..... Ask for Debbi or Michelle, tell them Mike from vacaville sent you over... If you have the old stringers to trace off of it makes it easier & cut on Bandsaw or a jigsaw....

469 the coyote
10-09-2007, 11:04 PM
composie one is in sac and a lot cheaper than tap plastics. We built a boat with foam stringers and carbon. You need to up inserts in the hole so you dont crush the stringers. Good luck.

GAWnCA
10-10-2007, 05:53 AM
composie one is in sac and a lot cheaper than tap plastics. We built a boat with foam stringers and carbon. You need to up inserts in the hole so you dont crush the stringers. Good luck.
Do they have a web site? Or do you have an address/phone number? I planned on using SS inserts on these old stringers until I replace them just to make sure that the pressure is off the wood, to a point. Thanks, Greg

GAWnCA
10-10-2007, 06:01 AM
Yup..Sometimes ya' gotta let them know your even there..... Ask for Debbi or Michelle, tell them Mike from vacaville sent you over... If you have the old stringers to trace off of it makes it easier & cut on Bandsaw or a jigsaw....
Hi Mike and thanks. I'll try that. I'm thinking about buying an old Sanger Shovel Nose (Bull nose) and I know it's going to need stringers, or so the ad said. Also, the dash area has holes that I'd fill and place the steering and gages where I would want them. Right now I've got to get my BUTT in gear and plug the old mount holes with some hard wood dowels and then re-drill and insert for new bolts. I'll give the dowels a skin coat on the inside of the stringers and then lay in a layer of mat on the outside. Got lots to do and seem to have dropped the ball when the motor let go.
Darn, this summer went by fast and I've got a new engine coming back for the builder this week. I hope an Indian Summer comes along so I can get out a couple more times to see how everything runs.
So much to do and winter is coming on.

Boostedballs
10-31-2007, 05:44 PM
If I was going to build a new boat I'd use composites, no doubt. Doug fir and philipine mahogany are heavy compared to aviation spuce...think about it, Spruce goose? Light and strong.
Don't use kiln dried, softens the wood.
Comment with no real value-> The Spruce Goose is housed at my old Job in McMinnville, OR. (Evergreen Aviation)
That is one big MoFo! All made from spruce, very light and strong!
About stingers- I'm about to do some stringer work on my 75 Kona. I am toying with the idea of having solid carbon fiber/resin stringers. I know it will be heavey but who cares? I want to be able to trust that the engine won't start barrel rolls in the engine comartment. That foam would have to be some serious stuff for me to even think about using it to hold my engine in place. Besides, I have buttload of carbon waiting for a project.

Boostedballs
11-01-2007, 10:13 AM
Kona's already heavy...
You don't mean make a solid 2 x 6 stringer out of carbon fiber? Geez! Make an I beam or a triangle or a shape with strength.
But since they already make a synthetic stringer substitute...why reinvent the wheel?
Yeah, I may be over-engineering it like everything else. I just picture that 500lb piece of iron bucking around in there and breaking some foam stringers out like nothing. I guess that fiberglass is stronger than it looks. I have water inside my stringers for who knows how long and they still hed up fine with the Olds 455.
What about 2x6's made out of hard plywood? I could put some serious clamping force on that!
sorry for jacking the thread...