PDA

View Full Version : Bear Grylls....

Jbb
07-24-2007, 02:17 PM
Uh- Oh (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=470155&in_page_id=1770)

RiverDave
07-24-2007, 02:30 PM
'But Born Survivor is not an observational documentary series but a "how to" guide to basic survival techniques in extreme environments. The programme explicitly does not claim that presenter Bear Grylls's experience is one of unaided solo survival.'
BULLSHIAT!! I've watched the show many times and he sets up shelter, and then mentioned how it wasn't comfortable, I think even made mention of how it didn't measure up to a certain hotel chain?
RD

Tom Brown
07-24-2007, 02:31 PM
.... I think even made mention of how it didn't measure up to a certain hotel chain?
AH HA! ..... and just how do you suppose he knows that? http://www.***boat.com/ubb/graemlins/idea_2.gif

HavaSkank
07-24-2007, 02:32 PM
I used his tactics as a matter of survival once. I was stuck in traffic on the 405 at 5:00pm so I squeezed the liquid out of some cow dung in order to prevent dehydration.

Dave C
07-24-2007, 02:33 PM
I saw it on TV so it has to be true.

adjones419
07-24-2007, 02:37 PM
I saw it on TV so it has to be true.
Exactly what I was thinking.

Jbb
07-24-2007, 02:39 PM
I used his tactics as a matter of survival once. I was stuck in traffic on the 405 at 5:00pm so I squeezed the liquid out of some cow dung in order to prevent dehydration.
Squeezed into a martini glass......mint garnish.......chocolate martini?...:D

Ziggy
07-24-2007, 04:33 PM
Success breeds animosity amoungst those who aren't. His show is doing well so someone has to try bringing him and it down somehow.
I personally like the show and it has been entertaining as well as infomative...If he sleeps at a hotel between shoots I could give a shit....

cdog
07-24-2007, 05:55 PM
His show is entertaining but when he climbed a tree in the forest for a look out I knew he was a quack. It sure would suck lying in the forest with a broken back after the branch broke and you fell 40 ft. Survival Man kicks his ass.

AZJD
07-24-2007, 06:05 PM
Guys a stud non the less. He eats live fish...........
I heard he once punched a magician.
That's right!:D

Froggystyle
07-25-2007, 04:46 PM
I have watched both Survivorman and Man vs. Wild regularly. Audrey likes MVW better because it is faster paced and better produced. She asked me which one I prefer and it is clearly Les on Survivorman... my reason?
Les is the real deal. When I see him make decisions on how to descend a mountain, he knows that his gear has to make it as well. He also probably doesn't get a picture of it. Short of eating for the show of it, I have never seen the actual desperation of having to hunt for the food to stay alive from MVW.
I have attempted to snare rabbits in the wild. I can tell you what traps work, and what don't. What does NOT work are the suspended nooses I have seen Grylls use. Rabbits see that shit and turn right around or go around it. You need concealed trip wires and deadfall traps. At the very least, you need tensioned traps for rabbits, as they will usually escape nearly immediately unless they are actually hanging by the neck.
Bottom line is, everything looks fake, like a "how to" instead of a real world experience. I think Les is both more believable and more credible. If I were the host of MVW, do you think for a second that the film crew is going to magically just stay up all night shivering waiting to see me awaken? Not bloody likely. Fact is, they brought enough tents for everybody I imagine, assuming that they even spend the time out there.
I have seen him get "rescued" by a ship, happen upon a logging road, swim a VERY long distance to shore but never had a camera crew in sight etc...
I don't find it to be believable. I have done that shit for real, and Les looks like he is doing it, and Bear looks like he is hosting a TV show.
I also don't think that Bear knows what he is doing with regard to actual survival, and I fear that he is giving really, really bad advice to people who may actually need it some day. Down-climbing cliffs, lighting fires inside caves with the fire towards the door, but inside the cave, catching and eating poisonous stuff, trusting free-climbing abilities when you are exhausted and hungry etc... Really fundamentally bad survival moves. I have rarely, if ever pointed out a reasoning flaw in Les' tactics or logic. Plus, I think he is really hungry, and you can tell. Much more realistic situations too...
My .02

Baja Big Dog
07-25-2007, 05:28 PM
I heard this guy was an NBA offical when he's not filming!!!:D

Ziggy
07-25-2007, 06:43 PM
I have watched both Survivorman and Man vs. Wild regularly. Audrey likes MVW better because it is faster paced and better produced. She asked me which one I prefer and it is clearly Les on Survivorman... my reason?
Les is the real deal. When I see him make decisions on how to descend a mountain, he knows that his gear has to make it as well. He also probably doesn't get a picture of it. Short of eating for the show of it, I have never seen the actual desperation of having to hunt for the food to stay alive from MVW.
I have attempted to snare rabbits in the wild. I can tell you what traps work, and what don't. What does NOT work are the suspended nooses I have seen Grylls use. Rabbits see that shit and turn right around or go around it. You need concealed trip wires and deadfall traps. At the very least, you need tensioned traps for rabbits, as they will usually escape nearly immediately unless they are actually hanging by the neck.
Bottom line is, everything looks fake, like a "how to" instead of a real world experience. I think Les is both more believable and more credible. If I were the host of MVW, do you think for a second that the film crew is going to magically just stay up all night shivering waiting to see me awaken? Not bloody likely. Fact is, they brought enough tents for everybody I imagine, assuming that they even spend the time out there.
I have seen him get "rescued" by a ship, happen upon a logging road, swim a VERY long distance to shore but never had a camera crew in sight etc...
I don't find it to be believable. I have done that shit for real, and Les looks like he is doing it, and Bear looks like he is hosting a TV show.
I also don't think that Bear knows what he is doing with regard to actual survival, and I fear that he is giving really, really bad advice to people who may actually need it some day. Down-climbing cliffs, lighting fires inside caves with the fire towards the door, but inside the cave, catching and eating poisonous stuff, trusting free-climbing abilities when you are exhausted and hungry etc... Really fundamentally bad survival moves. I have rarely, if ever pointed out a reasoning flaw in Les' tactics or logic. Plus, I think he is really hungry, and you can tell. Much more realistic situations too...
My .02
Jimminie Crickets Wes, do you ever have a post with less than 5 paragraphs? :) :)
Sure, Bear has some funky quirks and tactics but remember this is just TV entertainment....Survivorman Les' show is very cool too, I like both but it seems the time slot MVW has is better for my schedule.

adjones419
07-25-2007, 07:05 PM
Hey guys, I hate to tell you...but professional wrestling is fake too. :eek: :D

XtrmWakeborder
07-25-2007, 07:41 PM
I have no hero.....:(

Itsahobby
07-25-2007, 07:47 PM
Too, funny
My 10 year old watches both shows and he says MVW is staged and likes Survivorman better.
I will say, my son has used some of the stuff shown on the shows and it has worked. Like putting your had up between the sun and the horizon to see how much daylight you have left.
He still watches both.:D
My .02