PDA

View Full Version : What happens if I put too much power to the pump??

TeamHawaiin
07-24-2007, 05:39 PM
I have a Dominator pump with B impellor that is rated at 600 HP. It is running a SBC Marine Max rated at 330 HP. I would like to go BBC next year and according to Desktop Dyno software, I can build a 575 HP without breaking the bank. If I want to spend some money I can make do 800 HP. This is more than the pump is rated for. What will it do to the pump if I use the higher horsepower? What do I need to do to the pump to make it handle more than 600?:confused:

BrendellaJet
07-24-2007, 05:57 PM
wouldn't be the first time!
Get rid of the aluminum impeller(if you have one) Stainless is best. Make sure the pump is tight and is ready to put that power to the water. Other mods will be required to make efficient use of the power. If your pump hasn't been tricked out yet, save a couple grand to have that work done and build less power, you'll get more out of the combo that way.

Sleeper CP
07-24-2007, 06:02 PM
You might need a high performance shaft if you are shooting for 800 HP.]
Sleeper CP

pw_Tony
07-24-2007, 06:03 PM
zzziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggg ggggggggggggggg
Is that the Hawaiian off Ebay?

SmokinLowriderSS
07-24-2007, 08:04 PM
If you don't go to bronze or steel, you CAN saw the pump bowl right in half, and risk sinking, when the aluminum impeller shreds.
DuaneHTP has a very nice photo of a bowl that exactly this happened to, from some nut with a blower-motor who refused the warning to not race it with Aluminum.

TeamHawaiin
07-24-2007, 10:27 PM
zzziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggg ggggggggggggggg
Is that the Hawaiian off Ebay?
Yep, I bought it around Fathers Day. Drove from Galveston to Rancho Cali to get it. 4000 miles round trip for a buy it now price of $9300.00. I'll start having fun when I work out all the small bugs. I got it to steer straight with all new steering cable and hub. I found the electric choke stuck and not working so I fixed that and have much better power. Changing oil, tightening bolts, various other things. I think it was worth the $600 in gas to go get it. It was a nice drive, not a drop of rain.

TeamHawaiin
07-24-2007, 10:35 PM
wouldn't be the first time!
Get rid of the aluminum impeller(if you have one) Stainless is best. Make sure the pump is tight and is ready to put that power to the water. Other mods will be required to make efficient use of the power. If your pump hasn't been tricked out yet, save a couple grand to have that work done and build less power, you'll get more out of the combo that way.
I think it already has the stainless steel. I remember how purdy it looked. This used to be a race boat so is there anyway of knowing if the pumps been tricked out without complete disassembly? Thanks for the advice on this. I really would like the big power, but I might just settle for the 575 HP. This boat is only 17 feet, I'm still working on finding the best trim setting for best ride. It does some porpoising but I found a bowed ride plate.

BrendellaJet
07-25-2007, 07:23 AM
Does it have a shoe & ride plate? You can pull the bowl off pretty easily and see if any work has been done to it, this will also show the impellers condition(half of it anyway).

Danhercules
07-26-2007, 02:14 PM
DuaneHTP has a very nice photo of a bowl that exactly this happened to, from some nut with a blower-motor who refused the warning to not race it with Aluminum.
I would love to see a pic of this!

Sleeper CP
07-26-2007, 02:37 PM
I have been thinking the same thing.:eek: :eek: :D
Sleeper CP

cave
07-26-2007, 05:22 PM
What happens if I put too much power to the pump??
Ka Boooooomp :D
If your going to add some power, listen to these guys.

sleekcrafter
07-26-2007, 05:35 PM
This was the bowl SmokinLowriderSS was speaking of, courtesy of the HTP photo gallery. I think the story was the guy was warned this would happen :eek: The Aluminum impeller came apart, to cause this.
http://www.hi-techperformance.com/images/Alum_Imp_Blown_Chevy.jpg

Sleeper CP
07-26-2007, 07:01 PM
That doesn't look to bad. I think I know a guy that can fix it;) ;)
Is that what you call a two piece bowl?
Wow what a mess. Did the boat go under?
Sleeper CP

Danhercules
07-26-2007, 09:35 PM
If the bolts that hold the bowl on are outside the boat, then the boat wont sink, right?

ck7684
07-27-2007, 05:30 AM
You could JB weld that easy :D
What kind of power did it take to do that??

Liberator TJ1984
07-27-2007, 06:03 AM
If the bolts that hold the bowl on are outside the boat, then the boat wont sink, right?
Si ! .....No sinky !:D

SmokinLowriderSS
07-27-2007, 02:49 PM
Unless the suction piece cracks. :idea:
Then, you get a swimming lesson. :D
The way I recall the tale Duane told me, is HP was unknown, but was a big motor and a big blower, so was likely 1,000 HP or in that ballpark.
Light-weight drag-boat.
Duane told him not to run it on an honest 1/4-mile pull, and he disregarded such advice.
Berk reccomends Aluminum for under 500 HP, and under 4,800 RPM.
Aggressor's Mag-bronze and the Stainless Steel are unlimited.
I think it exploded on it's first pass. :jawdrop:

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-27-2007, 09:28 PM
I blew up a berkeley aluminum impeller and it wiped out my bowl and shaft:cry:

bp
07-28-2007, 08:01 AM
all ya need is 2000 gpm of bilge pumps..;)

ck7684
07-28-2007, 03:19 PM
I'm wondering because my new engine will probly be about 540 hp...kinda borderline...

Sleeper CP
07-28-2007, 03:56 PM
The Berkley estimates are very conservative. At 550 HP you'll be fine. Just don't put to much nitrous to it. And when the pump becomes unloaded ,back out of it when the boat settles back down.
Sleeper CP

SmokinLowriderSS
07-28-2007, 06:31 PM
The Berkley estimates are very conservative. At 550 HP you'll be fine. Just don't put to much nitrous to it. And when the pump becomes unloaded ,back out of it when the boat settles back down.
Sleeper CP
I still sleep better having gone bronze because before I am done, I will be arround 600 HP on Nitrous, if not higher, and was cracking my Aluminum one at 350.