PDA

View Full Version : Battery help please....

mbroome
07-25-2007, 03:08 AM
I'm installing a second battery on my wellcraft ski boat and need some help please! I have the usual single setup and am adding a deep cycle battery. I have the neccesary switch (off, 1,2 both) that will allow charging of both batteries and allow changing batteries while the motor is running. Heres my problem. How the hell do I wire this second battery up? Can someone furnish a diagram for me to follow? Sorry if its a silly question, but I cant figure it out! TIA!

KLEPTOW
07-25-2007, 05:14 AM
Simple POS to the number 2 position on the switch NEG daisy chain to the other battery or straight to the block.

rrrr
07-25-2007, 06:18 AM
Like this....:D
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35646&stc=1&d=1185373056

Zaairman
07-25-2007, 07:18 AM
^^^ Exactly what he said. Just don't do what my old owner did and hook up the "common (feed on the diagram)" post on the back of the switch to a ground wire :jawdrop:

mbroome
07-25-2007, 02:09 PM
ty guys!

rrrr
07-25-2007, 02:15 PM
^^^ Exactly what he said. Just don't do what my old owner did and hook up the "common (feed on the diagram)" post on the back of the switch to a ground wire :jawdrop:
Hillbilly arc welder? :D :D

Southwest47
07-25-2007, 03:40 PM
Speaking of batteries...I am looking to replace my current batteries with new ones. I am considering the Optima brand, but don't know which color top to get. :confused: Any help would be appreciated!!
FYI...I have a dual battery Laveycraft with a pretty elaborate stereo system that cuts in-n-out during extended use (I think because of the old batteries).

DUCKY
07-25-2007, 03:48 PM
Amps are probably getting hot and trying to shut down....
Anyways, Optimas are great. just don't over charge them. You will probably want one blue top (marine cranking) and one yellow top (marine deep cycle). You may also consider installing a capacitor on your amp feed if you don't already have one.

Southwest47
07-25-2007, 04:52 PM
Amps are probably getting hot and trying to shut down....
Anyways, Optimas are great. just don't over charge them. You will probably want one blue top (marine cranking) and one yellow top (marine deep cycle). You may also consider installing a capacitor on your amp feed if you don't already have one.
I thought it was was the amps as well...almost replaced them! However, when the engine is running, the stereo (bass) seems to work fine, suggesting that the alternator is taking up the slack from the batteries. BTW...when the engines running and the bass hits, the amp gauge pulses, like the batteries are being stressed. What do you think of my theory? :confused:

Zaairman
07-26-2007, 05:31 AM
Hillbilly arc welder? :D :D
Luckily no. The only electronics on the boat were the gauges, so I was just getting a dead battery all the time.

Jordy
07-26-2007, 06:56 AM
You may also consider installing a capacitor on your amp feed if you don't already have one.
Paging HavasuHangin'... HavasuHangin' to the front of the line please. :D :D

Cigalert
07-26-2007, 07:00 AM
Or, you may just consider walking over to the toilet and flushing a hundred down instead.
caps on boats are worthless. Buy more batts

Jordy
07-26-2007, 07:01 AM
caps are worthless.
There, fixed that for ya. :D

BadKachina
07-26-2007, 07:34 AM
No, you would have gotten a dead short through the Perko and it would have melted in about 20 seconds. Deep cycles marine batteries are nothing to f around with, ask me to show you the permanent scar on my left ring finger where my wedding ring used to reside.
No shit, if you've ever touched a wrench to ground while tightening or loosening a positive terminal, you'll se how fast the ends of wrench can melt off........From what I've heard a battery can actually explode from doing this.:eek:

rrrr
07-26-2007, 03:30 PM
Paging HavasuHangin'... HavasuHangin' to the front of the line please. :D :D
You notice how I ignored that one? :D :D

Zaairman
07-27-2007, 07:41 AM
No, you would have gotten a dead short through the Perko and it would have melted in about 20 seconds. Deep cycles marine batteries are nothing to f around with, ask me to show you the permanent scar on my left ring finger where my wedding ring used to reside.
Well one of the batteries was "ok" when I bought the boat, the other was 100% dead. So there was no frying of electronics nor welding. Although when I put in that new battery, you bet your ass I thougth I fried something. Had the switch in the off position, went to turn it to, well, I forget, and the damn thing kicked back. :eek: