PDA

View Full Version : Any Baja owners in here?

Biglue
07-25-2007, 09:06 AM
How do you guys like them? What are the pros and cons about them? How do they do in say, a Havasu afternoon?

Jyruiz
07-25-2007, 09:08 AM
Why are you asking?

yopengo
07-25-2007, 09:13 AM
I had one years ago.
Pros: Cheap, easy to fix, air cooled, will go most places.
Cons: Cheep, $100 + every time you use it to fix what you just broke, air cooled, won't tow anything, shakes rattles and rolls.
In Havasu they would do fine to hit the trails in the winter. Make sure to get the bus rear end in it.
:D :D :D

Baja Big Dog
07-25-2007, 09:22 AM
I had one years ago.
Cons: Cheep, $100 + every time you use it to fix what you just broke, air cooled, won't tow anything, shakes rattles and rolls.
In Havasu they would do fine to hit the trails in the winter. Make sure to get the bus rear end in it.
Yo..I think you missed the point.....
He asked how it would do in the summer!!
I would put an external oil cooler on it to let some air to the number three cylinder!!!!!:D
GEEZ.......:idea:

Biglue
07-25-2007, 09:24 AM
Baja as in BOATS, you smart asses. :mad: :D

RiverDave
07-25-2007, 09:27 AM
I had one years ago.
Well Lue, if you tkae the "air cooled" out of it, it's about spot on either way?.. :D
RD

Devilman
07-25-2007, 09:28 AM
Sa' matter, yours having problems?

Biglue
07-25-2007, 09:34 AM
Sa' matter, yours having problems?
Yeah...it's a shitbox. :D :D
Nah, been thinking about doing other shit with the money I have tied into it. THinking about downsizing a lil bit and getting some other stuff to play with year round. I just don't want to accrue more debt. The boat sits for most of the year, especially this year. Just a thought for now. Don't know if I'll go through with it.

yopengo
07-25-2007, 09:42 AM
LOL :eek: :D :)

Jyruiz
07-25-2007, 09:47 AM
Look for a Yamaha like Stoneys, those are cool and seem bigger than 23 feet. Less expensive to maintain and operate too.

Biglue
07-25-2007, 09:49 AM
Look for a Yamaha like Stoneys, those are cool and seem bigger than 23 feet. Less expensive to maintain and operate too.
Steve definitely has a nice boat. The lay out makes it seem like a much larger boat.

Devilman
07-25-2007, 09:51 AM
Nah, been thinking about doing other shit with the money I have tied into it. THinking about downsizing a lil bit and getting some other stuff to play with year round. I just don't want to accrue more debt. The boat sits for most of the year, especially this year. Just a thought for now. Don't know if I'll go through with it.
Man, think about it a bit before you jump off & get rid of it. :jawdrop: :(
It's probably just the fuel filter again. LMAO :D :D :D

IDRPSTF
07-25-2007, 09:52 AM
Baja's are a great Havasu boat. 24 deg deadrise handles the chop. They turn well. And beemy making for more cabin room. We just brought a 232 in for under $20K that will be in the spam section within the hour

tamalewagon
07-25-2007, 10:11 AM
Downsize and get yerself a RV! :D :eek: :D

jdogginla
07-25-2007, 10:13 AM
Ummm Baja's don't come with reverse tribal flames.......:confused:

Biglue
07-25-2007, 10:14 AM
Downsize and get yerself a RV! :D :eek: :D
Roger that carnal. :idea:

Jyruiz
07-25-2007, 10:15 AM
Just get a pontoon boat and you will still be cool.:D

Biglue
07-25-2007, 10:17 AM
Ummm Baja's don't come with reverse tribal flames.......:confused:
Nothing a lil Krylon can't fix homes. :D
Just get a pontoon boat and you will still be cool.:D
I would but the status of a pontoon owner is crumbling fast with the likes of Phebus driving one. :D

SJP
07-25-2007, 10:17 AM
I have an 89 250 sport (in avatar) 454, rides great, if you perform regular maintenance any boat will run well. I wish I was faster (but hey who doesn't). Owned it since it was new. I do not want to even post what the price was for it in 89. Will never sell it unless I do not have the room. As with anything you take care of and know how to use/operate it should provide lots of good times and last. No complaints.

baja2422003
07-25-2007, 10:29 AM
I have a 2003 Baja Island 242 and it's been a great boat for our lake. It's got a lot of room for it's size, and has been completly trouble free for 4 seasons. I live in Pa. so I don't know how it would do out there, but it's a do everything boat for us. I have two girls and freinds that all ski,tube and wakeboard.It came with the 496MAG and has not missed a beat with just regular maint.
Mark

WYRD
07-25-2007, 10:35 AM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/40/106892549_a6dacd38b1.jpg
I hear they handle chop well, but space is limited:D :D

lucky
07-25-2007, 10:48 AM
New Jaun DEER ? :D

Run_em_Hard
07-25-2007, 01:12 PM
I have a friend that has one. He has a crack at the front of his bow from a storm up here in Utah at an inland lake. His is a 29' w/454's and whipples. My old mans 31' straight bottom scarab with 500hp's can out run him at 5500 ft. So to me they don't have a very efficient bottom. Also whats with the monster gauges? You sit not even two foot from your gauges come one:D

Impulsive
07-25-2007, 02:15 PM
My 232 is a great little offshore rocket.
Can't speak about Havasu,
but it handles the offshore waters around Channel Islands quite well.

Jbb
07-25-2007, 03:32 PM
I had this one....21 Edge
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35689&stc=1&d=1185405704
sold it and bought this one...Baja Bandit...
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35690&stc=1&d=1185405806
missed the thrill of hard acceleration.....so I sold the Baja.....and bought this..
Eliminator Daytona 21
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35692&stc=1&d=1185406044
About the Baja.....I listen to everyone here joking about it being a cookie cutter......well I was quite impressed with the ride.....[not the speed]...but I knew that going in.....The rigging was fine...the gel work was fine....It ran great every single time I turned the key.....lots of room ...lots of storage..easy to drive and trailer......I was very impressed overall....I had a carbed 7.4/Bravo...and it went around 63 mph.......:jawdrop:
One note after having this Baja with tabs......I would never own a Vee without tabs again.....
I found nothing wrong with the quality rigging and performance of that boat.....It just wasn't fast enough....:D

BajaMike
07-25-2007, 03:58 PM
I had a 20' Baja Outlaw for about 3 years, I loved the boat, it always ran perfectly and was never in the shop except for routine maintenance....
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/502/1098Outlaw20-Lake_Powell2.JPG
They are "factory" boats (vs. custom boats) but the Baja is strong and well made, and performed well with the 260 horsepower Mercruiser 5.0 MPI (about 60 mph indicated with the wakeboard tower and bimini up).
I sold because I wanted a bigger boat (and haven't bought one yet :( ).....now I miss that boat......:sqeyes:

Reapers
07-25-2007, 04:52 PM
This is my 2nd one. Lots of nice boats out there but love the way they ride in the rough stuff. Great for our family. :D twin 575ci Procharged M-5 w/ ported dart pro 1s on pump gas

mickeyfinn
07-25-2007, 05:38 PM
I had one for a while, nice boat for someone who doesn't live on the water and pulls their boat out of the water when not in use. Lots of stories about rot in boats when kept in the water. I have always heard that holes on stringers etc for draining don't always get sealed and allow wicking into the wood structure. Mine was great but was always stored dry.

Liquid Courage
07-25-2007, 07:32 PM
I had a 97 24' Outlaw for about 6 years that I ran in Havasu all the time. I never ran into water in Havasu it wouldn't handle. I ran it in the Pacific Ocean all the time...I DID run into water it couldn't handle there but that's the case with EVERYBOAT in the Pacific ocean.
If you're worried about ride, I'd start in the 24' and up range. the 24 degree vee hull cuts through the lake chop like butter. Great boat for the money and I wouldn't pass on another Baja if it came to it.
Tank

Biglue
07-26-2007, 12:08 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. Much appreciated.

Redwing247
07-26-2007, 10:01 PM
Yeah...it's a shitbox. :D :D.
:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:
RD sux :D :D

SOCALDETAIL1
07-27-2007, 02:12 PM
Hey Lue get a hold of OC Outlaw here on the boards. He has a nice one up for sale I detailed it last week. His name is Matt.