PDA

View Full Version : Driving from STL to Huntington Beach

Zaairman
07-25-2007, 11:09 AM
So, I'm driving from St. Louis, MO to Huntington Beach, CA this Saturday morning. Anything special I need to check out along the way? :devil:

Baja Big Dog
07-25-2007, 11:22 AM
No....

adjones419
07-25-2007, 11:25 AM
No....
Exactly. I've driven from STL to Phoenix twice, STL to Havasu once, and STL to Redondo Beach once. Have fun, that's all I have to say. :rolleyes: Don't run out of gas in New Mexico.

topless
07-25-2007, 11:33 AM
So, I'm driving from St. Louis, MO to Huntington Beach, CA this Saturday morning. Anything special I need to check out along the way? :devil:
Just watch out for the boat in front of you.:D :D

Zaairman
07-25-2007, 11:34 AM
No....
LOL... Ok. Then how about where is the first In-N-Out buger? :D

yopengo
07-25-2007, 11:40 AM
The Phoenix area. :D

barbigrl
07-25-2007, 11:40 AM
Vegas!!:D

Zaairman
07-25-2007, 12:12 PM
Vegas!!:D
That's a few hours outta my way... :( The goal is to make it there as quick as possible while only stopping for food and gas, unless there is something really cool we need to check out. On the drive back however, there will be plenty of time to dick around. And I know where all of the In-N-Outs are in HB. :D In-N-Out on Beach Blvd will be hit up on Sunday for lunch/dinner. :)
ETA: Phoenix is outta my way also. I'll be taking I-40...

shippingguy
07-25-2007, 12:16 PM
That's a few hours outta my way... :( The goal is to make it there as quick as possible while only stopping for food and gas, unless there is something really cool we need to check out. On the drive back however, there will be plenty of time to dick around. And I know where all of the In-N-Outs are in HB. :D In-N-Out on Beach Blvd will be hit up on Sunday for lunch/dinner. :)
You will be able to hit In-N-Out in Barstow once you hit the 15 South towards LA.
Mike

Zaairman
07-25-2007, 12:21 PM
Just watch out for the boat in front of you.:D :D
As long as they all have working brake lights then I shouldn't have a problem... :sqeyes:
You will be able to hit In-N-Out in Barstow once you hit the 15 South towards LA.
Mike
Thanks... :D

DCarr
07-25-2007, 12:30 PM
The first one off of I 40 will Kingman I believe ..

Bense468
07-25-2007, 12:31 PM
If your hungry and really want In-N-Out drop down to Havasu off the 40. not too far, otherwise catch the Barstow one off Lenwood exit on the 15.

Sleek-Jet
07-25-2007, 12:33 PM
Stop in ABQ and get a Blake's Green Chilli cheese burger...
I did the same run earlier this year... it's easy to forget how much nothing is between here and Oklahoma... Oh yeah, take along a bunch of change for the toll roads in OK...

STLRFAN
07-25-2007, 12:36 PM
I think you are right... first one off the I 40

Water Romper
07-25-2007, 12:48 PM
Just drive straight through…once you hit “Surf City” you will have enough to look at. :D

DCarr
07-25-2007, 12:51 PM
I think you are right... first one off the I 40
Thats good to hear cause I plan on being there Friday evening. In TN. right now

clownpuncher
07-25-2007, 12:52 PM
Grand Canyon and Sedona

unleashed
07-25-2007, 12:57 PM
Grand Canyon and Sedona
Ditto...just got back last night from the Grand Canyon...SPECTACULAR! Also took my daughter to see the giant meteor crater..cool stuff!
Deano
UnleashedHardcoreApparel (http://www.unleashedclothing.com)

FullUp
07-25-2007, 01:23 PM
Make sure you have plenty of gas when you hit the AZ CA line. Gas between the state line and Barstow is rare and expensive.
Scream "Praise Jesus" when you pass the largest cross in the world outside Amarillo. Were heading to STL in two weeks.
J

Zaairman
07-25-2007, 01:26 PM
Make sure you have plenty of gas when you hit the AZ CA line. Gas between the state line and Barstow is rare and expensive.
Scream "Praise Jesus" when you pass the largest cross in the world outside Amarillo. Were heading to STL in two weeks.
J
Where would you recommend that I last fill up at? I can go at least 450 miles on a tank o diesel.

franky
07-25-2007, 01:37 PM
The Pilot station at the Havasu turnoff (95).
Don't forget to stop and see the worlds largest teflon coated frying pan.

HavasuSelect
07-25-2007, 01:53 PM
You coming out for business or pleasure. Why not take a side trip to Havasu???

squirt'nmyload
07-25-2007, 02:05 PM
Why not take a side trip to Havasu???
cause he won't be missing anything there either :)

HavasuSelect
07-25-2007, 02:11 PM
cause he won't be missing anything there either :)
Awwww come on, you have to see it at least once. Plus with all the talk about Havasu on this board I'd be a little curious to know what all the fuss is about.:D

squirt'nmyload
07-25-2007, 02:14 PM
Awwww come on, you have to see it at least once. Plus with all the talk about Havasu on this board I'd be a little curious to know what all the fuss is about.:D
lol.....oh alright, i'll give ya that much :D :D

Screemy1
07-25-2007, 02:29 PM
1,838 miles through the I 40, 1,878 miles if you go I 70 through Denver and then hit Glenwood Springs and swim in the hot spring right off the freeway, very nice break from the road.... the trip through CO is alot more pleasing then the Boreing I 40... If you get to Glenwood Springs by noon you can swim till 4:30 PM and be back driving by 5:00 PM and be in Vegas by 12:30 AM and get a room and have a little fun.... then leave Vegas by noon the next day and be in Huntington Beach by 6 - 7 PM... you could make the trip comfortably fun in 3 days..... or your route on the 40 and Blast through because it is a boreing road...... the I 70 is more interesting for only a few mile more! Have fun!!!!

Screemy1
07-25-2007, 02:33 PM
if you do go your original plan... don't forget to stop in Springfield, Missori and say hi to the Simpsons........ Homer will be at work until 5:00 PM on Sat.... but Marge and the kids are there all day!!! :rolleyes:

OCMerrill
07-25-2007, 06:12 PM
DO NOT speed in New Mexico or Arizona on the 40. Stay under 75 or the posted limit.
In New Mexico they have "Silver" painted patrol cars. Hard to see. They will write you for going 77 mph. Consider yourself warned at my $$ expense:D :D

Trailer Park Casanova
07-25-2007, 06:22 PM
Exactly. I've driven from STL to Phoenix twice, STL to Havasu once, and STL to Redondo Beach once. Have fun, that's all I have to say. :rolleyes: Don't run out of gas in New Mexico.
We just drove through New Mexico.
You can count the gas stations across the state on one hand, and it's high priced compaired to elsewhere.
Don't run outta beer there either. It's even more rare.
Carlsbad Caverns self guided tour is great if ya like that kinda stuff.
We did.

adjones419
07-25-2007, 07:40 PM
We just drove through New Mexico.
You can count the gas stations across the state on one hand, and it's high priced compaired to elsewhere.
We did.
We almost ran out of diesel in New Mexico on the way to the World Finals in PHX a few years ago. It was about 3 am, pitch black, not a light in any direction..

Zaairman
07-26-2007, 05:34 AM
You coming out for business or pleasure. Why not take a side trip to Havasu???
Pleasure. And I'm not bringing the floating toy with me, and I won't have a lake toy available... :( Thanks for all the tips...

beever_retreever
07-26-2007, 05:36 AM
1,838 miles through the I 40, 1,878 miles if you go I 70 through Denver and then hit Glenwood Springs and swim in the hot spring right off the freeway, very nice break from the road.... the trip through CO is alot more pleasing then the Boreing I 40... If you get to Glenwood Springs by noon you can swim till 4:30 PM and be back driving by 5:00 PM and be in Vegas by 12:30 AM and get a room and have a little fun.... then leave Vegas by noon the next day and be in Huntington Beach by 6 - 7 PM... you could make the trip comfortably fun in 3 days..... or your route on the 40 and Blast through because it is a boreing road...... the I 70 is more interesting for only a few mile more! Have fun!!!!
I'm leaving Kansas City tommorow morning going your route. We're gonna stay overnight in Golden, CO and then drive to Mesquite, NV and stay the night. Leave Sunday early am and get to Valencia in the afternoon. We'd like to hang out in Vegas on Sunday, but we have a dog and don't want to spring for a room just to lock him in there.
Any other tips going this route? We took the 40/35 out to KC and it was just an absolute bore. I've driven back from Vegas more times than I'd like to remember, but the KS > CO > UT > NV drive will be a first. Any places I should look forward to....or avoid?

Zaairman
07-26-2007, 05:41 AM
If anything, we'd take I-70 home and make stops along the way. :idea:

Sleek-Jet
07-26-2007, 05:57 AM
We did.
WTF??? New Mexico has drive-through liquor stores that are open 24 hours... beer is rarely a problem. Just look at the DUI stats...
If you don't have Cali plates, you can run 5 over the posted speed limit and get away with it. :D

SUBPRIME
07-26-2007, 03:43 PM
Not a whole lot to see on that trip, made that trip myself 5 years ago (grew up in missouri and now live in HB) and with exception for a few trips back to see the shootout and general LOTO fun haven't been back or looked back sense!
Are you moving out from MO?

BajaMike
07-26-2007, 03:51 PM
Take I-70 and enjoy the Rocky Mountains.....
http://www.field.ca/images/large/morainelake_lake01_lg.jpg
Breckenridge, Vail, Aspen, Glenwood Springs......all beautiful in the summer!
:idea:

burtandnancy2
07-26-2007, 03:55 PM
Hope you take a new custom boat home with you...

Zaairman
07-27-2007, 07:27 AM
Not a whole lot to see on that trip, made that trip myself 5 years ago (grew up in missouri and now live in HB) and with exception for a few trips back to see the shootout and general LOTO fun haven't been back or looked back sense!
Are you moving out from MO?
General LOTO fun? It's nuts now. I won't go near that lake. Not moving out there... YET. Few more years of college and I'll be out that way permanently (hopefully). Visiting family. Never done the drive before, just said F it, I'm driving this time.
Hope you take a new custom boat home with you...
I dont'... Cause that'd mean I'm spending more money that I don't have. Wait a sec, I can take a studen loan out for almost anything... :idea: :sqeyes:

NOTALENT
07-27-2007, 07:59 AM
To bad your leaving saturday....US Open (Surfing) is in HB this weekend....best weekend of the year!!! Im going to miss it for a cruise in about an hour, but I went to the Quiksilver VIP party last night and got a preview of the TALENT.......ahhhhh man it was nice!! Free alcohol too.....got them going real nice!:D

Zaairman
07-27-2007, 11:47 AM
To bad your leaving saturday....US Open (Surfing) is in HB this weekend....best weekend of the year!!! Im going to miss it for a cruise in about an hour, but I went to the Quiksilver VIP party last night and got a preview of the TALENT.......ahhhhh man it was nice!! Free alcohol too.....got them going real nice!:D
Where was the party at? Usually I'm there as they're setting up for the US Open.

Zaairman
07-29-2007, 06:37 PM
Oklahomo BLOWS! Whole lotta nothing in that state. Stopped for diesel at the Pilot Station in Havazoo. Thanks... Diesel was $3.999 in the desert. :eek:

OCMerrill
07-29-2007, 08:43 PM
If you don't have Cali plates, you can run 5 over the posted speed limit and get away with it. :D
:D:D:D
This thread could have saved me $113 for a 79 in a 75. I was actually in disbelief he lit me up. I had the cruise set at 77. Splitting hairs...turns out is part of their policy and whining like a school girl (as I was told) was part of mine.:)

2manymustangs
07-30-2007, 12:46 PM
In-And-Out , ohhhhh man, my stomach is rumbling already...:sqeyes:

Zaairman
08-04-2007, 11:15 PM
So, for the return trip, I'll be taking the 15 to Vegas and hitting 70 from there. I'll be stopping in Vegas for a few hours to hang out with my cousin and a few of her friends. Any advice/suggestions for this leg of the trip?