PDA

View Full Version : Photographer and photofinisher

RitcheyRch
07-25-2007, 06:11 PM
Anyone from the boards a local photographer/photofinisher? Received the proofs from my daughters senior pictures and want to order some but dont want to pay their HIGH prices.

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-25-2007, 07:17 PM
well .. anyone.. does anyone know of anyone..:)

RitcheyRch
07-25-2007, 07:57 PM
Guess no one knows anyone. :sleeping:
well .. anyone.. does anyone know of anyone..:)

Windy
07-25-2007, 08:07 PM
I would like a pro photographers contact info to.

Tom Brown
07-25-2007, 08:08 PM
Most photographers would not touch that job as it's a copyright violation and pretty unethical.
I'm not saying the prices they charge for school pictures these days are ethical, I'm just saying you're basically asking for someone to do something that is unprofessional, unethical, and illegal.

RitcheyRch
07-25-2007, 08:09 PM
Might be right. Never really thought of it that way.
Most photographers would not touch that job as it's a copyright violation and pretty unethical.
I'm not saying the prices they charge for school pictures these days are ethical, I'm just saying you're basically asking for someone to do something that is unprofessional, unethical, and illegal.

Windy
07-25-2007, 08:15 PM
How do someone get their hands on the negatives? Don't the photographers just provide a small picture and you choose the ones you want? I don't get it.
My daughters senior pics were available to view and order online. BTW I would like a photographer for a special event if anyone here knows a good one.

Tom Brown
07-25-2007, 08:16 PM
How do someone get their hands on the negatives? Don't the photographers just provide a small picture and you choose the ones you want? I don't get it.
Exactly.
A negative can be made from the sample prints, though. There will be a quality reduction but at reasonable sizes, it won't be noticeable. You can minimize the quality impact by ordering one large sized print and making the negative from that.
It's done by taking a picture of a picture. It's not quite as simple as that as conditions are carefully controlled for color temperature and what not but pretty much any professional studio can do it.
I've found other photographers to be hugely respectful of my work. In fact, I've posted images that I haven't watermarked with my name, copyright notice, or anything. When I do that, the images are disposable. None of the photography I do these days is for profit so I don't worry about protecting my work. Anyway, I've been asked for permission to use my images and credit has always been given to the original photographer.
Now... having said all that... there are some pretty decent quality scanners available for a reasonable price these days. You could order an 8x10, scan it, and have smaller prints made at any photofinisher or even print them yourself. You can even go to a place like Walmart and make copies and enlargements/reductions on their Kodak image center. You will find the sharpness to hold up surprisingly well (if you use decent equipment) but it's really tough to keep the color temperatures just right unless you have a calibrated workflow. Still, for wallet size, or whatever, it might be to your liking.

Windy
07-25-2007, 08:25 PM
But, not the full uncompressed image. You saw a small compressed .jpeg which you could order from, but the full size uncompressed image that they actually make the print from should not be available online. That's how I've always seen online proofs, otherwise anybody with a printer could just right click save and print. I can make really nice 8x11 prints from the 8 megapixel file that my camera makes, but my FIL is always making 8x11 prints for us from a much smaller format and they look like they were clipped from the Sunday paper.
Correct, they were just a small compressed image and if you clicked on the image to enlarge it, it would appear larger, but with texts over the image, but at least you can view the picture better, and decide which ones you want to order.

XtrmWakeborder
07-25-2007, 08:30 PM
My daughters senior pics were available to view and order online. BTW I would like a photographer for a special event if anyone here knows a good one.
What kind of event? My g/f's dad is a photographer, but mainly does conferences, trade shows, and business events. His website is http://www.1dcp.com

Windy
07-25-2007, 08:36 PM
That's how they did my daughter's school pictures. What a racket. If she wasn't so adorable, I'd say forget it.
I feel the same way about my little Goober. :)

Windy
07-25-2007, 08:50 PM
Except your little Goober is off to college. :D
Yep...but she will always be my little Goober.

socalmoney
07-25-2007, 08:57 PM
Agreed. I do all the studio work and digital retouching at my work and people are always asking me to do this. I tell them no. It is bad karma. Once I explain to them why, they are usually cool with it. I do a lot of retouching of old family photos for people but when they bring me Owen Mills images etc, I won't touch them.

Baja Big Dog
07-25-2007, 09:12 PM
I would not be happy if you "STOLE" my work, I also watermarked my work, and you could tell the people that would want to steal your work, they would actually call you and complain about your watermark!!!:mad:

photo chick
07-26-2007, 04:00 AM
What are you needing Windy? I can't believe you didn't think of Photo Chick......HELLO!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

TAF
07-26-2007, 07:36 AM
What are you needing Windy? I can't believe you didn't think of Photo Chick......HELLO!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D
Don't volunteer for something until you know the what where and when..........remember she's suppose to be head'g to Kuwait. :eek:
Next thing you know you're a photo journalist w/ a flack :sqeyes: vest on:confused: Sounds right up yer alley sis.........that and taming tigers!

Windy
07-26-2007, 07:54 AM
Uh...Hello...your in Texas, Im in Cali. :)

Windy
07-26-2007, 07:55 AM
Don't volunteer for something until you know the what where and when..........remember she's suppose to be head'g to Kuwait. :eek:
Next thing you know you're a photo journalist w/ a flack :sqeyes: vest on:confused: Sounds right up yer alley sis.........that and taming tigers!
I WISH I could take someone with me to Kuwait...wouldnt that be nice. :D

Mr. C
07-26-2007, 08:08 AM
TB,
Not disagreeing with you at all, because i don't know. But once you (purchase) the proofs can you not do with them what you choose. for example have one blown up larger or just plain copies made. We purchased my daughters proofs (not just look at and pick which ones we wanted), so doesn't that mean that i now own them.

Jyruiz
07-26-2007, 08:15 AM
Windy, PM Havasu Luvr, he is a pro photographer and does all kinds of events.

photo chick
07-26-2007, 08:33 AM
Uh...Hello...your in Texas, Im in Cali. :)
Auh Hello.....I spend at least a week every month in So Cal......:D I'm afraid I don't have the cojones to go to Kuwait with you though.....

Windy
07-26-2007, 08:35 AM
Windy, PM Havasu Luvr, he is a pro photographer and does all kinds of events.
We been chatting already...thanks.

Windy
07-26-2007, 08:38 AM
Auh Hello.....I spend at least a week every month in So Cal......:D I'm afraid I don't have the cojones to go to Kuwait with you though.....
HELLO...you spend a week here once a month and we have never met because??? :)

Windy
07-26-2007, 08:42 AM
PhotoChick...any chance you gonna be here next week?

TAF
07-26-2007, 08:47 AM
I WISH I could take someone with me to Kuwait...wouldnt that be nice. :D
they frown at taking spouses w/ ya don't they? :(

TAF
07-26-2007, 08:50 AM
She'll be there the following week in LB for the circleboat race w/ me and guru:D
"Bring yer work clothes" as someone else has put it:) :idea:
:sqeyes: :D LVNLFS 'll be there too............I think
I'm bringing my kids too.

photo chick
07-26-2007, 08:53 AM
It seems my social assistant agent (aka brother) has answered for me as I was typing...:D Yeah I'll be in town for about a week.... We should meet!!

TAF
07-26-2007, 08:59 AM
yeah , thats it:) :rolleyes: ;) :D Want me to tell you your fortune / future?:idea:

Windy
07-26-2007, 09:01 AM
It seems my social assistant agent (aka brother) has answered for me as I was typing...:D Yeah I'll be in town for about a week.... We should meet!!
Next friday nite there is a group of us from here going to a country bar if your up for it. I leave for my tour of duty that sunday.

RitcheyRch
07-26-2007, 10:26 AM
Thats what I was thinking although did notice the pictures do have the photography studios name on the lower right corner.
So, looks like going to just order from them.
TB,
Not disagreeing with you at all, because i don't know. But once you (purchase) the proofs can you not do with them what you choose. for example have one blown up larger or just plain copies made. We purchased my daughters proofs (not just look at and pick which ones we wanted), so doesn't that mean that i now own them.

Strippoker
07-26-2007, 10:35 AM
yeah play it safe too many photogs now days can get real picky on who and what has the images. Not worth all the mess. Im still in a battle with someone who stole a bunch of my my work.