PDA

View Full Version : Ford warranty

BadKachina
07-25-2007, 08:28 PM
When I bought my '07 F-250 a couple of months ago, I was told by the dealer that if I didn't service it at the Ford dealer they wouldn't honor the warranty. I normally service my own stuff, since I have guys on the clock and I can order up Rotella and filters. I told him I didn't think that was legal but he assured me that they wouldn't honor the warranty if I didn't.
Any truth to this? Should I take it in for a 100 dollar oil change or just do it myself?

BadKachina
07-26-2007, 05:49 PM
Im thinking it's bs, I argued with the finance dude forever about it. He wanted me to by his Ford service contract, but I kept telling him I can do it for almost nothing and write off the expense anyways. I was just worried that if he's right I don't want to void my warranty.
Doesn't anybody work at Ford????????

sleekcrafter
07-29-2007, 10:17 AM
You might want to inform them of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act ;)

ddevore
07-29-2007, 10:42 AM
He was feeding you a line of crap... I have always serviced my 01 and 04 for diesels - I've never been questioned on it when getting work done at the dealer. They can tell if you have not kept up on it right away - then you may run into problems...

dmontzsta
07-31-2007, 10:44 PM
My dealer told me to just save my receipts, they didnt tell me I had to take it to Ford. Although, I am going to just pay the cash and have them do it, I am getting sick of working on stuff, plus it looks good on the re-sale end when everything was done by Ford. I am trading it in for a new one in 3 years anyways. :)

rivrrts429
08-03-2007, 06:18 AM
I've had my truck in for warranty multiple times and have never once had ford service it. It now has 45k miles and never questioned anything. He was feeding a line of crap. Save your receipts and write down everytime you service it.

Riverhound
08-03-2007, 10:33 AM
I don't work for Ford but I do work for another manufacturer and can tell you with certainty that in no way shape or form can they require you to have your vehicle serviced by them. The only thing they can require is proof of service and that's only in extreme circumstances such as engine replacement etc.
Do the work your self, maintain your service records and your good to go.

JetBoatRich
08-09-2007, 09:12 PM
I have done my own oil and filters:rolleyes: never had an issue with warranty. Which I have had to use a couple times:sqeyes:

PaPaG
08-09-2007, 11:42 PM
When I bought my '07 F-250 a couple of months ago, I was told by the dealer that if I didn't service it at the Ford dealer they wouldn't honor the warranty. I normally service my own stuff, since I have guys on the clock and I can order up Rotella and filters. I told him I didn't think that was legal but he assured me that they wouldn't honor the warranty if I didn't.
Any truth to this? Should I take it in for a 100 dollar oil change or just do it myself?
As long as you log everything and keep copies of everything you purchased for the service you are fine, get a notebook made for service logs away, we had a fleet of vehicles and that is all we have to do...Toyotas, Dodges, Fords, Nissans, Chevy's, not to mention a few others..Never had a warranty problem in the last 15 years with any vehicle that we serviced ourselves.
(but realistically who the hec whats to change their own oil when you can get in and out in 10 minutes and for only 20 bucks these days...) lol :D

uLtRADeNniS
08-10-2007, 12:15 AM
Change your oil yourself. Just keep the receipts and write the date and mileage of when you changed the oil.
..Same thing with the fuel filters.
Thats what both Ford and Chevy have told me to do.