Gives you 13 paid holidays.
Gives you 20 paid days off.
Gives you a pension.
Does not require a collage education.
Requires no manual labor.
ANYONE????

Cigalert
07-26-2007, 07:14 AM
I heard there's some dude at the pageant of the master's that gets about $2k for wearing a white suit that people paint. Screw pension kick his ass and take that damn suit.

uvindex
07-26-2007, 07:26 AM
What job pays you $80,000 a year.
Gives you a pension.
ANYONE????There are plenty of jobs like that. Many pay much more. The trick is getting the job ("it's nice work if you can get it!") :)
Examples:
Movie star (but pay can be in the $millions and they get more time off)
Pop star (but pay can be in the $millions and they get more time off)
President of the United States (but pay is more)
Mayor of a small city
etc...

sleekcraft80
07-26-2007, 07:26 AM
Gives you a pension.
ANYONE????
A city bus driver??

Baja Big Dog
07-26-2007, 07:27 AM
A hint, there are about to have a major impact on our/your economy, and have a major effect on my work.....

Mattman
07-26-2007, 07:29 AM
Double the salary and that description fits for some useless command staff I've seen!!!:jawdrop:

blacksheepvictor
07-26-2007, 07:37 AM
Police Officer

my21advantage
07-26-2007, 07:41 AM
Police Officer
:jawdrop: :D I was going to say Firefighters...
They do cook and clean though, is that considered manual labor:idea:

wright27
07-26-2007, 07:43 AM
Gives you a pension.
ANYONE????
My job.:D

yopengo
07-26-2007, 07:43 AM
Corrections officer? :idea:

Miss Perfect
07-26-2007, 07:46 AM
The San Diego Water Department?
Our street sprung a leak about a month ago. There is now a river flowing down the middle of the street. The water department comes by every day to look at it. They bring 5 trucks or so, then they all stand around and scratch their heads for about 2 hrs then they leave. I want that job.

breezeblocker
07-26-2007, 07:46 AM
sbc service rep. and dont forget about the paid fmla days :D

EAZYKILLER2006
07-26-2007, 07:56 AM
that kind of schedule sounds like a st of cali job
to see what is available in your area check out
the website
http//www.spb.ca.gov/employment/exam_bulletins.htm

Baja Big Dog
07-26-2007, 08:00 AM
Clerical, dock workers, eh
DING...DING...DING.... a fricken Canadian got it.
And they are talking about going out today, and taking the dock workers with them.....
Hey DJ....sounds like it river time!!!!

uvindex
07-26-2007, 08:20 AM
DING...DING...DING.... a fricken Canadian got it.
And they are talking about going out today, and taking the dock workers with them.....
Hey DJ....sounds like it river time!!!!So what exactly is the job? ("Clerical" is pretty vague.) Who are "they?" Details please. :)

uvindex
07-26-2007, 08:33 AM
Don't you keep up on the current events of your country?
We have to, as this strike could effect the world economy :2purples:Yes, as a matter of fact I do. First thing today, I read a newspaper then checked out CNN.com, yahoo.com, and google news. Didn't see anything about a strike. Thanks for nothing. :(

uvindex
07-26-2007, 08:43 AM
After some googling, found the story in the LA Times (http://www.latimes.com/business/careers/work/la-fi-ports26jul26,1,5435236.story?coll=la-headlines-business-careers).

ahhell
07-26-2007, 08:47 AM
AHHH....unions:( :mad:

Havasu_Dreamin
07-26-2007, 08:49 AM
As a clerk shuffling paperwork?

Dave C
07-26-2007, 08:51 AM
legalized racketeering.... ask them and they will tell you its true (off the record of course) ;) .
Its good to be them. More power to them because they will pull it off. They got us by the short and curlys. and if u don't like they will break ur knee caps ;)

Mr. C
07-26-2007, 08:53 AM
ahhell, i fixed that for you
AHHH....unions:D :)
[QUOTE=ahhell;2694075]AHHH....unions:( :mad:

River Lynchmob
07-26-2007, 09:05 AM
AHHH....unions:( :mad:
Exactly the Sheet Metal Union is renegotiating their contract...right now a journeyman makes 35.17/hr plus benefits. it total out at 100K a year. They are about to get a $12.50/hr raise over the next 4 years. What do they have to do to get this? a GED and to pass a 7th grade math test and 5 years of "schooling" (i use this term very loosly) which is one day every 2 weeks. I know college grads that won't ever see that kind of money...talking about a racket. :mad: :mad: :mad:

burtandnancy2
07-26-2007, 09:15 AM
Yea, 80k in salary plus 40k in beni's, and they want to strike. Wonder how difficult that clerical job is?

Baja Big Dog
07-26-2007, 09:47 AM
I think they rank up there with the checkers at the grocery store!!!
Problem is the longshoremen are gonna have to honer the strike, and shut down the ports!!
Where is Reagan when we need him?

Wheeler
07-26-2007, 10:23 AM
I think they rank up there with the checkers at the grocery store!!!
Problem is the longshoremen are gonna have to honer the strike, and shut down the ports!!
Where is Reagan when we need him?
A checker is lucky to make 30k per year, before taxes.

EAZYKILLER2006
07-26-2007, 11:45 AM
Don't you keep up on the current events of your country?
We have to, as this strike could effect the world economy :2purples:
that has been the papers for 2weeks
last time they went on strike
I remember they wouldn't
let ships unload

Baja Big Dog
07-26-2007, 11:48 AM
A checker is lucky to make 30k per year, before taxes.
My point exactly....

572Daytona
07-26-2007, 11:49 AM
And here I thought the answer was Hot Boat Moderator.

Dave C
07-26-2007, 01:10 PM
shall we look up the occupational wage data to see what the average hourly rate for everyone is for Cali? what their job description?
My point exactly....

Dave C
07-26-2007, 01:16 PM
Found it.... Per EDD: 1st quarter 2007.
Office and Administrative Support Occupations
average average
hourly annual 25th % 50% 75%
$16.21 $33,719 1 $11.09 $14.93 $20.21

RitcheyRch
07-26-2007, 01:29 PM
http://cbs2.com/local/local_story_207134027.html
Talks are scheduled to resume Thursday between port shipping clerks and the companies that employ them in a last ditch effort to avoid a strike that could shut down the nation's largest port complex.
Negotiations were set to resume in Long Beach at 10 a.m., according to Stephen Berry, an attorney for the shippers.
Union officials could not be immediately reached to comment.
The ports of Long Beach and Los Angeles make up the nation's largest shipping complex. If the clerical workers strike, members of the powerful Longshore union have said they would honor the picket line, which would shut down the twin ports. It would also have a ripple effect on the local and national economy.
Under a contract that lapsed June 30, full-time port clerical workers earned about $37.50 an hour, or $78,000 a year, while receiving a pension, health care benefits and 20 paid holidays a year.
The shipping firms have offered a 14 percent wage increase over three years, with the base hourly wage going up to $40 in less than two years, according to Berry.
The union is seeking an increase to $53 per hour by the last year of the contract.
Together, the ports handle around $275 billion worth of cargo a year.
The clerks work for 17 firms, but only 14 are participating in the negotiations, Berry said, adding that in the future, the firms want the clerks to negotiate a single contract instead of separate agreements.
The union representing the clerks delivered its "last, best and final offer" Friday night to representatives from the shipping firms, according to John Fageaux Jr., president of the International Longshore and Warehouse Union's Clerical Unit Local 63, which represents about 930 clerks at the port complex.
On Tuesday night, union officials declared an impasse and walked away from the talks, Berry said.
"We're almost a month past the expiration of the contract," Berry said, adding that if they strike "it would be devastating to the economy of Southern California and the nation."
"The issue is whether the bigger unions, the Longshore division, would honor that picket line. If they did you couldn't get the cargo unloaded. Everybody's Christmas presents will be sitting out there in the harbor."

Havasu_Dreamin
07-26-2007, 01:35 PM
Talks are scheduled to resume Thursday between port shipping clerks and the companies that employ them in a last ditch effort to avoid a strike that could shut down the nation's largest port complex.
Negotiations were set to resume in Long Beach at 10 a.m., according to Stephen Berry, an attorney for the shippers.
The ports of Long Beach and Los Angeles make up the nation's largest shipping complex. If the clerical workers strike, members of the powerful Longshore union have said they would honor the picket line, which would shut down the twin ports. It would also have a ripple effect on the local and national economy.
Under a contract that lapsed June 30, full-time port clerical workers earned about $37.50 an hour, or $78,000 a year, while receiving a pension, health care benefits and 20 paid holidays a year.
The shipping firms have offered a 14 percent wage increase over three years, with the base hourly wage going up to $40 in less than two years, according to Berry.
The union is seeking an increase to $53 per hour by the last year of the contract.
The clerks work for 17 firms, but only 14 are participating in the negotiations, Berry said, adding that in the future, the firms want the clerks to negotiate a single contract instead of separate agreements.
The union representing the clerks delivered its "last, best and final offer" Friday night to representatives from the shipping firms, according to John Fageaux Jr., president of the International Longshore and Warehouse Union's Clerical Unit Local 63, which represents about 930 clerks at the port complex.
On Tuesday night, union officials declared an impasse and walked away from the talks, Berry said.
"We're almost a month past the expiration of the contract," Berry said, adding that if they strike "it would be devastating to the economy of Southern California and the nation."
"The issue is whether the bigger unions, the Longshore division, would honor that picket line. If they did you couldn't get the cargo unloaded. Everybody's Christmas presents will be sitting out there in the harbor."
$37.50 an hour to be a clerk? WTF?!?!?!?! And they want $53 an hour! That's outrageous! Teachers don't even make that kind of money and I'm sure they are more important than a clerk at the port in the grand scheme of life.....Didn't like unions to begin with and this just re-affirms my stance.....

Havasu_Dreamin
07-26-2007, 01:42 PM
$37.50 an hour to be a clerk? WTF?!?!?!?! And they want $53 an hour! That's outrageous! Teachers don't even make that kind of money and I'm sure they are more important than a clerk at the port in the grand scheme of life.....Didn't like unions to begin with and this just re-affirms my stance.....

Baja Big Dog
07-26-2007, 01:46 PM
The press from the Mexican Ports have been somewhat negative, this kinda bullshit will change a few minds....
The bad part of the whole thing is the union compassion, and longshoremen not crossing, I could see the clerks going out, but the mind set of how the complete strike can shut down this country is the bargaining tool they will play on.
Sorry, this is complete bullshit, I have tried to support the unions on the docks, but this is wrong.
$53 fockin dollars an hour, and if you listen to the union leaders (Soprano's) they will say its not about wages!!!!!
IM waiting for DJ to get on here, Im sure he can enlighten us to the facts....

Mr. C
07-26-2007, 01:56 PM
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=local&id=5513661

djunkie
07-26-2007, 02:09 PM
Gives you a pension.
ANYONE????
Kinda sounds like my job. :idea: :D :D

djunkie
07-26-2007, 02:14 PM
I love these threads. You tools always believe what you read in the paper. If the OCU strikes it won't last more than a day. Pussy Bush will step in like he did last time. And as of right now its the company that may lock them out anyways. I'm not gonna get into details of what they're asking for in their contact cause I really don't know.
AND NO. In the last Longshoreman Contract WE DID NOT STRIKE!!!!!!!!! The employer locked us out from work.

djunkie
07-26-2007, 02:17 PM
that has been the papers for 2weeks
last time they went on strike
I remember they wouldn't
let ships unload
That wasn't a strike missy. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

MR HARLEY
07-26-2007, 02:17 PM
Where do I apply. :)

RitcheyRch
07-26-2007, 03:07 PM
I'm thinking the same thing.
Where do I apply. :)

Havasu_Dreamin
07-26-2007, 03:14 PM
I'm thinking the same thing.
No kidding, $53 an hour to shuffle paperwork.....papercuts be damned sign me up!

RitcheyRch
07-26-2007, 03:17 PM
I can deal with papercuts. Excellent pay for little to no education.
No kidding, $53 an hour to shuffle paperwork.....papercuts be damned sign me up!

Dave C
07-26-2007, 03:59 PM
shiat thats twice what the paper shufflers make in our office..... and they are all college edumocated....... fawk that... I am sending them down to get all of them signed up ;)

lovemyultra
07-26-2007, 06:48 PM
I cant comment on this paticular issue because Im not entirely sure what the term clerk is it could be more than we think ,its hard for me to knock someones job without knowing about it .Also remember not all unions are the same people want to generalize the term ie seniority, protection ,etc ,yes its there some places but not everywhere,I can only comment on the Carpenters Union

lovemyultra
07-26-2007, 06:49 PM
I cant comment on this paticular issue because Im not entirely sure what the term clerk is it could be more than we think ,its hard for me to knock someones job without knowing about it .Also remember not all unions are the same people want to generalize the term ie seniority, protection ,etc ,yes its there some places but not everywhere,I can only comment on the Carpenters Union Take it easy DJ

djunkie
07-26-2007, 08:32 PM
I cant comment on this paticular issue because Im not entirely sure what the term clerk is it could be more than we think ,its hard for me to knock someones job without knowing about it .Also remember not all unions are the same people want to generalize the term ie seniority, protection ,etc ,yes its there some places but not everywhere,I can only comment on the Carpenters Union
Good post but unfortunately these are technically just paper pushers. They do work with us (longshoremen) but they are not in the danger zones as we are. I don't agree with the amount of the pay increase they were asking but thats their deal not mine.

djunkie
07-26-2007, 08:33 PM
And by the way, they settled today so there will be no strike or lockout.

RitcheyRch
07-26-2007, 08:58 PM
Any job openings
And by the way, they settled today so there will be no strike or lockout.

djunkie
07-26-2007, 09:05 PM
Any job openings
Its doubtful. Thats a miserable chicks job anyways. :D :D

RitcheyRch
07-26-2007, 09:11 PM
Was worth a try. :D
The drive would kill me from Santa Clarita.
Its doubtful. Thats a miserable chicks job anyways. :D :D

Havasu_Dreamin
07-27-2007, 07:58 AM
Good post but unfortunately these are technically just paper pushers. They do work with us (longshoremen) but they are not in the danger zones as we are. I don't agree with the amount of the pay increase they were asking but thats their deal not mine.
Good deal! It's nice to see that one of you who actually is in the danger zone, and union protected, agrees that what they, the clerks, were after, and I presume got since the strike was averted, was WAY beyond what they should be getting.....

djunkie
07-27-2007, 09:53 AM
Good deal! It's nice to see that one of you who actually is in the danger zone, and union protected, agrees that what they, the clerks, were after, and I presume got since the strike was averted, was WAY beyond what they should be getting.....
I don't know what they ended up with. I overheard a couple women clerks last night talking while we walking into a job and they sounded happy. As for what they were asking for, I felt was a lot. I don't think they ended up with it but still got a substantial raise. I don't know exactly what these clerks do cause they're in the office all the time but I do know a lot of them have to deal with Container haulers. Now that alone should make them deserving of the pay increase. Those guys are freakin morons!!!!!!!!!!:mad: :D :D